Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], john1, mcquilkie, Rich and 285 guests

Post #498761  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
warrior wrote:
So checking the table, we are in solid second place with Brentford nipping at our heels and United in relegation territory.

Yes, this is exactly what I predicted would happen. :icon_eek1:

Surprisingly only two clubs with 100% records after two games.

And Man U's record too !

Manchester United Set Unimaginable Record on Premier League’s 30th Anniversary

https://notjustok.com/sports/manchester ... niversary/

Post #498762  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:22 pm 

One really positive thing that is different about this season. We have done the critical transfer business in advance and have not started with the usual recent handicap.

Post #498763  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:48 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
You must have been a lot of fun to be around with in the 70’s. Whilst not as good as Robert Plant, my hair was not cut regularly in the 70’s. I am prepared to allow people to decide how long they currently wear their hair. It would be a bit hypocritical otherwise.

I had my tongue firmly, very firmly, in my cheek when I wrote that post. Although Cucurella’s hair (I’ve looked up the spelling since calling him ‘that Chelsea player’) is arguably more extreme (or unkept) than that of Guendouzi (and indeed David Luiz), OMOH pointed out the similarities.

That isn’t to deny Cucurella is still a long haired git though.

Tongue and cheek ah well yes, but it's been quite awhile no comment on one in particular's lovely hairstyle. :7laughter:

Post #498764  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Rule 12 specifically mentions spitting, striking, and kicking. But unless I am mistaken it doesn't specifically mention a whole host of things, like biting someone, poking your opponent in the eye, etc. so I think it is not a valid argument to say only specifically mentioned things count.

To be fair to MOTD2, they didn’t. The pundits, as I said earlier, called it violent conduct. They simply mentioned that hair pulling wasn’t specifically mentioned in the regulations, which I think was an interesting and reasonable thing to point out.

No to mention biting a la Luis Suarez.

Post #498765  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:08 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:
To be fair to MOTD2, they didn’t. The pundits, as I said earlier, called it violent conduct. They simply mentioned that hair pulling wasn’t specifically mentioned in the regulations, which I think was an interesting and reasonable thing to point out.

No to mention biting a la Luis Suarez.

How about scratching?

Chinese burns?

Post #498766  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:05 pm 

Read a few rumours today. AMN to a club in Germany. Nice interested in taking Pépé (will surely be a loan), and Arsenal interested in Caicedo from Brighton

Post #498767  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:40 pm 

https://twitter.com/just_prshanth/statu ... jY3Wum14sQ

A reminder of what Man U fans were saying about us 1 year ago almost to the day. I had recently started to feel an ounce of empathy with Man U fans who were decrying the poor state of their club because we’d been there - but this is a nice reminder of what an arrogant bunch they can be so let’s enjoy their mess

Post #498768  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
Read a few rumours today. AMN to a club in Germany. Nice interested in taking Pépé (will surely be a loan), and Arsenal interested in Caicedo from Brighton

Looks a dinger of a player but I can't see why they'd sell him .

Post #498769  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:42 am 

warrior wrote:
So checking the table, we are in solid second place with Brentford nipping at our heels and United in relegation territory.

Yes, this is exactly what I predicted would happen. :icon_eek1:

Any tips for the Melbourne Cup, weather next summer in NSW, NQ....

Post #498770  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:43 am 

The league table is a Manchester sandwich, top end is City, bottom end is Utd

Post #498771  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:53 am 

gooner7 wrote:
The league table is a Manchester sandwich, top end is City, bottom end is Utd

Suppose that made it a North London sandwich early last season when Tottenham were first and Arsenal were last.

Post #498772  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:49 am 

Couple more rumours.

Villa want Holding as their big summer signing Carlos has ruptured his achilles- which is 6 months out.
I wouldn’t be against selling Rob if a too good to refuse offer comes in AND we have a left sided CB lined up to buy. If Villa want him because of injuries then they are desperate, we hold the cards so ask for at least £25m

We’re supposedly interested in Hudson-Odoi from Chelsea. Interesting player as a more traditional winger than our other wide players. Would Chelsea sell to us? His wages are apparently £150k a week which would be problematic considering what Saka, Emile Smith Rowe and Martinelli earn and he could be behind all 3 of them. He does seem like a player whose true potential hasn’t been unlocked yet

Post #498773  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:26 am 

Monreal has announced his retirement at the age of 36. Didn’t play a single game last season so I suppose could or perhaps should have retired last summer when he was 35. A very fine player in my view. Not at the level of Sansom and Cole but surely in the next level down with the likes of Tierney and Clichy.

Post #498774  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:52 am 

Rich wrote:
Couple more rumours.

Villa want Holding as their big summer signing Carlos has ruptured his achilles- which is 6 months out.
I wouldn’t be against selling Rob if a too good to refuse offer comes in AND we have a left sided CB lined up to buy. If Villa want him because of injuries then they are desperate, we hold the cards so ask for at least £25m

We’re supposedly interested in Hudson-Odoi from Chelsea. Interesting player as a more traditional winger than our other wide players. Would Chelsea sell to us? His wages are apparently £150k a week which would be problematic considering what Saka, Emile Smith Rowe and Martinelli earn and he could be behind all 3 of them. He does seem like a player whose true potential hasn’t been unlocked yet

Would be a good move for Holdiing as with Saliba, Gabriel and White ahead of him in the pecking order, he’s not going to play very often at Arsenal. But as you imply we’ll need another central defender in addition to those three.

I’m not sure about Hudson-Odoi. He’s extremely talented but rarely produces what he’s capable of. Considering what he’d cost I’d be very surprised if Arsenal bought him.

Post #498775  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
Monreal has announced his retirement at the age of 36. Didn’t play a single game last season so I suppose could or perhaps should have retired last summer when he was 35. A very fine player in my view. Not at the level of Sansom and Cole but surely in the next level down with the likes of Tierney and Clichy.
Yes a good player and a man of character who fitted the Arsenal shirt well.

Post #498776  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:26 am 

Bernard wrote:

Excellent player, very consistent and I felt he was always underrated during his time here. Great pro as well, and clearly loved playing for Arsenal as evidenced by his goodbye message for the fans when he left.

Post #498777  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:04 am 

And now Elon Musk says he's gonna buy Man United.

Haven't they suffered enough !

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... ff8327f681

**And yes I know he has already walked back the statement.

Post #498778  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:54 am 

Rich wrote:
Couple more rumours.

I wouldn’t do it, model pro who always does his best. He was never really the same after a bad injury affected his mobility but he is useful to have in the squad.

Certainly no less than 25 million. It wouldn’t make sense and even then it only really is logical if we can find a homegrown LCB close to the price who could grow into the role and those don’t grow on trees. No for me

Post #498779  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:38 pm 

Tesla CEO Elon Musk made a comment about buying Manchester United. He later said he was joking.
:blob9:

Post #498780  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:38 pm 

Completely disagree on DeBruyne, Gerrard over Keane? Hmm....
I'll concede Shearer over Bergkamp, but if Bergkamp had spent his years in Italy in the EPL, no contest. Hate to see big Tony and Safe Hands not on there but can't disagree with the choices.

Attachments:

Post #498781  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Couple more rumours.

I wouldn’t do it, model pro who always does his best. He was never really the same after a bad injury affected his mobility but he is useful to have in the squad.

Certainly no less than 25 million. It wouldn’t make sense and even then it only really is logical if we can find a homegrown LCB close to the price who could grow into the role and those don’t grow on trees. No for me

Agree. Decent pro. Limited but certainly better than some we've had over the recent past. Honest, committed and you're not really going to get a much better 4th CB. I think he's also considered one of the leaders in the dressing room. What he did against Leeds last year in going up to the fourth official calling out the racist abuse towards some of our players was the mark of a good pro. A false economy unless the offer is genuinely too good to turn down.

Post #498782  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:17 pm 

It has been nice to see the club develop a proper transfer strategy in recent years, where we clearly put a lot of effort in identifying players with the right age, profile and character who can be part of the club achieving success in the long term rather than just being good for now.

Compare that to the absolute scattergun approach of Man Utd, who just want to sign someone as long as they cost a lot of money. There's talk now that Rabiot has turned them down so they're going for Casemiro instead - that's like us missing out on Yeremi Pino so we place a bid for Salah! Absolutely no clear thinking behind their targets, no proper strategy at all.

Post #498783  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:39 pm 

New all or nothing trailer is hysterical. :laughing7:

Mikel utterly bollocking the players after the Newcastle game. Screaming at them like kids

Post #498784  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:40 pm 

Darren wrote:
Limited but certainly better than some we've had over the recent past. Honest, committed and you're not really going to get a much better 4th CB. I think he's also considered one of the leaders in the dressing room. What he did against Leeds last year in going up to the fourth official calling out the racist abuse towards some of our players was the mark of a good pro. A false economy unless the offer is genuinely too good to turn down.

I've been a fan of his for his work ethic and professionalism and the times he played better than expected. That said, if its his one chance to be a starter and get the pro career he wants, I think he's earned a bit of a discount on his price.

I'm assuming he knows he won't be even 3rd choice any more and his minutes will be limited to cup ties against non EPL sides, injuries to first team players.

I have juxtapose that with the needs of the club as well.

Post #498785  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:01 pm 

They are winning 2-1. Swansea went 1-0 up and now are down to 10 men.
Emile Smith Rowe and Vieira and Cédric all playing. Cédric curled a free kick in to the top corner

Post #498786  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:04 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Completely disagree on DeBruyne, Gerrard over Keane? Hmm....
I'll concede Shearer over Bergkamp, but if Bergkamp had spent his years in Italy in the EPL, no contest. Hate to see big Tony and Safe Hands not on there but can't disagree with the choices.

I see a few of these with current Liverpool players in, yes they are special but at their peak they’ve been bested 4-1 in titles by Man City. For my money you can’t have Van Dijk in there ahead of kompany let alone some of the top CB of the 90’s and early 2000’s who won multiple titles.

Post #498787  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:55 pm 

See a few people who were at the game say Vieira whilst looking a bit off the pace and rusty (understandable as first game back from injury), you could see the classy touches.

Looking forward to seeing him play in the first team. As his signing came out of the blue and we haven’t seen him yet, and the first team has a clean bill of health so we haven’t needed him he feels very much like a bonus signing.

I’m convinced there’s at least one more player to come in towards the end of the window

Post #498788  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:54 pm 

I suppose not everybody was aware that the Arse v Swansea U21 match was free to watch on the Arsenal.com website or Arsenal app.

Post #498789  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
See a few people who were at the game say Vieira whilst looking a bit off the pace and rusty (understandable as first game back from injury), you could see the classy touches.

Looking forward to seeing him play in the first team. As his signing came out of the blue and we haven’t seen him yet, and the first team has a clean bill of health so we haven’t needed him he feels very much like a bonus signing.

I’m convinced there’s at least one more player to come in towards the end of the window

I couldn’t see us loaning Pépé out (which seems to be the suggestion) if we didn’t have a wide player coming in.

Post #498790  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:16 am 

Holding is a tricky one. Decent back-up, good character, well-liked by the team, and now that we finally have some squad depth you don't want us to go back to having a thin squad.

At the same time, he's just 4th choice and he doesn't cover multiple positions, so if Villa comes in and offers 25m it would be hard to say no. That money could go towards signing someone who could potentially improve our starting eleven, and we do have Tomiyasu who could fill in centrally if needed.

Post #498791  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:41 am 

We have a really exciting pair of young full backs. Norton-Cuffy on the right and Lino Sousa on the left. 18 and 17 respectively. Norton-Cuffy will likely go on loan again this year and if he does well could be integrated properly in the first team soon as Cédric’s replacement

Post #498792  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:22 am 

We've had a really good window so far and Saliba is like a new signing but it does feel that to get to the next level we are still a couple of players short of what we need. A CM and a winger if Pépé goes.

Having spent so much already it is fully understandable that we are not prepared to spend inflated over the top fees for players but it would still be disappointing not to have that extra boost a couple of additional players would bring.

If anything is going to happen you would expect it to break pretty soon unless they can sign someone out of the blue like Vieira.

Post #498793  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Holding is a tricky one. Decent back-up, good character, well-liked by the team, and now that we finally have some squad depth you don't want us to go back to having a thin squad.

At the same time, he's just 4th choice and he doesn't cover multiple positions, so if Villa comes in and offers 25m it would be hard to say no. That money could go towards signing someone who could potentially improve our starting eleven, and we do have Tomiyasu who could fill in centrally if needed.

I agree it is a difficult one. As you say he represents decent back up, but is now firmly fourth choice. Unless two of Saliba, Gabriel and White are out at the same time for whatever reason, the only games Holding is likely to start are in the early rounds of cups (by which I’m including the group stage of the Europa League) against nondescript opposition.

He’s 27 next month, so is no longer a promising youngster. At this stage of his career, surely it would be much better for Holding himself to play for Aston Villa where he’d play loads more games? Did our friend from across the Atlantic imply there’s arguably a responsibility for Arsenal to do the right thing for Holding? If so, I think he made a valid point.

I think it’s highly likely that Holding would have a more satisfactory career at Aston Villa than Arsenal next season and would therefore welcome the chance of going there. If Arsenal get an acceptable transfer fee for him and can find an adequate replacement as a squad back up while Holding joins a big club like Villa and plays regularly, then I’d say everyone comes out of the transfer a winner. Arsenal, Aston Villa, and importantly Holding himself.

Post #498794  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:58 am 

Journalism is strange. Some media have asked Cucurella if he will cut his hair (to stop it being pulled). Would they ask Romero if he's going to stop pulling other player's hair?

Post #498795  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:40 am 

Chelsea spending 22m on aubameyang apparently.

Seems a nuts transfer

Going to be a lot of questions that they have managed that fee and we got literally nothing for him 12 months ago.

Matt law saying Chelsea are willing to spend over £150m on Wesley Fofana, Anthony Gordon, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Frenkie de Jong and Cesare Casadei.

Post #498796  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:33 am 

*%^@*** hell new all or nothing is painful viewing.

Arteta is right the spurs game was a joke. Weakest penalty award of all time, daft second yellow.

Defence riddled with injuries at Newcastle I forgot we even had to sub Tommy during hat game,

Arrrghh.

Post #498797  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Matt law saying Chelsea are willing to spend over £150m on Wesley Fofana, Anthony Gordon, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Frenkie de Jong and Cesare Casadei.

If they manage to get those 5 for anything close to £150m they'd have done very well......or cost, whether they are the players they need I'm not so sure. Would Fofana get in the top 10 CB in the prem? De jong looks very good for that deeper holding mid who can play. Gordon is unbelievably raw (and dives a lot), Aubameyang is 33 and we all know how he played with us in the final months - don't know anything about Casadei.

Leicester want £80m for Fofana, Barca want north of £60m for De Jong, Everton just rejected £45m for Gordon, I think the Casadei deal is nearly done for around £20m - then whatever Aubameyang costs. It looks closer to £225m+ to me

Post #498798  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:38 am 

socrates wrote:
We've had a really good window so far and Saliba is like a new signing but it does feel that to get to the next level we are still a couple of players short of what we need. A CM and a winger if Pépé goes.

Having spent so much already it is fully understandable that we are not prepared to spend inflated over the top fees for players but it would still be disappointing not to have that extra boost a couple of additional players would bring.

If anything is going to happen you would expect it to break pretty soon unless they can sign someone out of the blue like Vieira.

Saliba, Zinchenko and Jesus have had a huge impact on the quality of our team. All 3 are versatile to play in other positions which helps greatly as well
Vieira is the wildcard and Marquinos is one for the future and at £3m is a low risk gamble.

If you were being greedy I'd be looking at 4 positions
1.Cover/competition for Partey
2.Another striker
3.a left-footed/sided centre back
4.Right winger

3 and 4 probably only happen if Holding and Pépé move on. I don't think 2 happens. I think another midfielder could come but if its Tielemans (who I like) that isn't Partey cover really.

If Pépé leaves and you can bring in a right-winger who can play as a No.9 as well then we're looking very strong in attack

Post #498799  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:55 pm 

Casemiro to Man U is gaining momentum, apparently £70m and £400k a week on a deal that gives him 2 more years than his current Man U deal. He's 30 years old

That is a car crash transfer strategy. Casemiro is obviously a class player, multiple CL winner and formed a formidable midfield 3 with Modric and Kroos......not Fred and McTominey.

This smacks of the arrogant quick fix route. Man U are getting rejected by targets all the time because their house is a mess, they need to be humble and admit they can't attract the players they think they can - and those at that level who they might get, like Casemiro, may not get any better than they are, may not have the same hunger and maybe are on the lookout for their final chance for a big wage move before the twilight of their career.

Give me Arsenal's current strategy any day of the week

Post #498800  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:04 pm 

Forest paying £44.5m for Morgan Gibbs-White from Wolves. That's what we paid for Gabriel Jesus.

Crazy

[ 520210 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12467, 12468, 12469, 12470, 12471, 12472, 12473 ... 13006  Next