Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie and 288 guests

Post #509441  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
Absolutely. It was an arrogant and stupid line-up. No striker and no defensive Rodri/Fernandino. They win the league comfortably and in their most important game of all, he comes up with a line-up they haven't played all season.

Aguero must be furious. Probably their greatest ever player, certainly one of them. He gets a few minutes in the CL final they have been chasing for years.

A classic Pep horror- show.

It’s identical in its absurdity to our semi againest Villareal. Felt very familiar. He literally cost them that match

Agree, absurd to try this when a major win is so near.

Post #509442  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:29 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I am sure Giroud has missed Arsenal every day since we sold him.

He is one of many who won medals after leaving Arsenal. Congratulations to him.

Arsenal needs to get more ambitious before the younger stars start looking for outlets after more fruitless years.

Won't be surprised to see a few older players with market value move away this summer. Don't think they can see any major trophies coming our way in the next couple years.

Last week it was Coquelin. Apparently he was very happy Sir Alex was at the final. Ferguson apparently mentioned him in his book about our 8-2 defeat and said that he had disappeared and never did anything in football (paraphrasing). Well disappeared until he took a penalty.

Post #509443  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:25 am 

I'm very happy for Giroud. I've always thought he got the short end of the stick with Arsenal fans. He came as an RvP replacement and he was never, ever going to live up to that. Ever. He was blamed for shortcomings that were simply not in his locker (pace for example). He was not an established player that came in with a great CV. He was a roll of a dice. He had to move up to a big club as an unproven player for a big club. When he came on as a super sub, he got goals. He needed the right system around him. He's a 6 yard box striker. Chelsea knew they were getting a gem and he became popular with their fans. He came off the bench for them and did the same, score when needed more often than not.

He always respected us after how he left and never maligned the club like some players like Clichy he owes his whole senior career at the top level because of Wenger despite him being an error prone player that has cost us more goals than a left back should.

I hate Chelsea with a passion and was hoping City would win but at least Giroud got a CL medal on his CV and so did the American player.

Post #509444  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
Absolutely. It was an arrogant and stupid line-up. No striker and no defensive Rodri/Fernandino. They win the league comfortably and in their most important game of all, he comes up with a line-up they haven't played all season.

Aguero must be furious. Probably their greatest ever player, certainly one of them. He gets a few minutes in the CL final they have been chasing for years.

A classic Pep horror- show.

It’s identical in its absurdity to our semi againest Villareal. Felt very familiar. He literally cost them that match

Hi TG,

It was, although I thought Chelsea were very impressive. A mix of defensive solidity, midfield tenacity and counter-attacking threat.

Kante is an exceptional footballer. To think we preferred Xhaka over him when he was available from Leicester.

One of the ironies is that for all Timo Werner's woeful misses he is an absolute handful with his pace and movement, a right menace. If he learns to finish he could be a worldbeater.

Post #509445  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:11 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I am sure Giroud has missed Arsenal every day since we sold him.

I'm sure the Liverpool tarts missed him as well.

Post #509446  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 am 

Reports in l'equipe that Marseille are interested in taking Saliba on loan.
Seems very strange they are even trying when Arteta himself has said he will be coming back for pre season training.
Something just not right here.
Have a horrible feeling Saliba could go this summer.
Just this nagging feeling Arteta just doesnt fancy him.
Also fact we are being linked with other centre backs doesnt bode well.
Hope I'm wrong.

Post #509447  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:00 am 

Anyone heard anything about Miguel Azeez.
I'm sure his contract runs out june this year

Post #509448  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:06 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:
Delighted that City continue to, relatively, keep sh*tting the bed in Europe.

*%^@ them, *%^@ their project, *%^@ their lies and their power grab and their money. *%^@ their Agüero moment - ooh you scored past related QPR with 25 times the investment clap clap. *%^@ Pep and his free Cataluña activism whilst being a mouth piece for those disgraceful *%^@ in Abu Dhabi.

Devastated that Chelsea have won but ultimately as South Park so eloquently put it, it was a choice between a giant douche and a sh*t sandwich.

Feel entirely similar

The fake romanticism about city is unsurd and Pépé is an alternate version of the snide Mourinho used to be.

? What did Pépé do? What did I miss?

Post #509449  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:27 am 

Ash wrote:
Delighted that City continue to, relatively, keep sh*tting the bed in Europe.

*%^@ them, *%^@ their project, *%^@ their lies and their power grab and their money. *%^@ their Agüero moment - ooh you scored past related QPR with 25 times the investment clap clap. *%^@ Pep and his free Cataluña activism whilst being a mouth piece for those disgraceful *%^@ in Abu Dhabi.

Devastated that Chelsea have won but ultimately as South Park so eloquently put it, it was a choice between a giant douche and a sh*t sandwich.

:58big-emoticons: although I wish it could have been someone other than Chelsea *&*$%& More like two *%^@ sandwiches, one with mayo and the other without a clue.

Post #509450  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:28 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

He is one of many who won medals after leaving Arsenal. Congratulations to him.

Arsenal needs to get more ambitious before the younger stars start looking for outlets after more fruitless years.

Won't be surprised to see a few older players with market value move away this summer. Don't think they can see any major trophies coming our way in the next couple years.

Last week it was Coquelin. Apparently he was very happy Sir Alex was at the final. Ferguson apparently mentioned him in his book about our 8-2 defeat and said that he had disappeared and never did anything in football (paraphrasing). Well disappeared until he took a penalty.

Oh yes, Coquelin is a winner as well. Forgot he is in the Villareal team. Congratulations Le Coq!

Post #509451  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:38 am 

david.d wrote:
Reports in l'equipe that Marseille are interested in taking Saliba on loan.
Seems very strange they are even trying when Arteta himself has said he will be coming back for pre season training.
Something just not right here.
Have a horrible feeling Saliba could go this summer.
Just this nagging feeling Arteta just doesnt fancy him.
Also fact we are being linked with other centre backs doesnt bode well.
Hope I'm wrong.

I think Arseblog said If Arteta goes to Edu (Or whoever is in charge of these things??!!) and says I want a CB he should be told firmly no, use what you’ve got let’s focus on getting a working bloody midfield this summer!!

The CBS we’ve got hardly seem like the main problem in this team and chasing after a new one when we’ve got other priorities seems like a strange vanity project.

Post #509452  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:38 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Feel entirely similar

The fake romanticism about city is unsurd and Pépé is an alternate version of the snide Mourinho used to be.

Well I missed Clichy maligning Arsenal, which according to our friend from across the Atlantic he did.

Post #509453  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:46 am 

I think I’d be fine with a back 4 of Chambers - Holding -Gabriel - Tierney with Saliba and Mari as back ups. Anyone particularly upset with if we went into this season with that? Frankly I’m delighted Luiz is gone. The constant encouragement he gave to every opposition forward line wasn’t worth his distribution IMO.

If anything we need backup Right and Left backs. If Bellerin doesn’t go he can back up chambers who can also play at CB. Defo need a left footed LB to cover Tierney, that’s it as far as I can see. We need two central midfielders as a priority.

Post #509454  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:05 pm 

Ash wrote:
The CBS we’ve got hardly seem like the main problem in this team and chasing after a new one when we’ve got other priorities seems like a strange vanity project.

I agree it isn't a priority for next season, the question is of course how much we'll be able to spend this summer. And I do think we'll see a fair amount of spending, considering how many players are likely to leave. Xhaka and Guendouzi look like they're gone soon, Torreira, Bellerin and Kolasinac aren't staying, Willian is heavily rumoured to be leaving, and there has been no indication Mavropanos will stay at Arsenal next season. Add to that the likes of Maitland-Niles, Nketiah, Nelson and possibly Willock and we can probably afford at least 3-4 signings.

The flip side of the argument is that we must be looking further ahead than just the coming season. The four centre backs we have are all good in my opinion - but have they got the potential to be truly elite? It's possible with Saliba, though he just turned 20 so that's probably a number of years down the line. Gabriel has shown in glimpses that he can turn into a top class defender. I don't see Holding and Pablo Mari ever being more than 3rd/4th choice at a club aiming for top four. So if there's a chance to get another player with elite potential in, I think we should go for it.

There have been some solid rumours about Edmond Tapsoba at Bayer Leverkusen for example. Can't say I've ever watched him play, but he seems extremely highly rated in Germany. 22 years old, 6ft4, physically strong and very good on the ball, with a couple of good seasons in Germany and Portugal behind him, to me he fits the exact profile of what we should be looking for. We're not getting a 28-year old top class defender, so I think our best chance is getting them in at this age and hoping they'll fulfill their potential.

Post #509455  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:37 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Ash wrote:

I agree it isn't a priority for next season, the question is of course how much we'll be able to spend this summer. And I do think we'll see a fair amount of spending, considering how many players are likely to leave. Xhaka and Guendouzi look like they're gone soon, Torreira, Bellerin and Kolasinac aren't staying, Willian is heavily rumoured to be leaving, and there has been no indication Mavropanos will stay at Arsenal next season. Add to that the likes of Maitland-Niles, Nketiah, Nelson and possibly Willock and we can probably afford at least 3-4 signings.

The flip side of the argument is that we must be looking further ahead than just the coming season. The four centre backs we have are all good in my opinion - but have they got the potential to be truly elite? It's possible with Saliba, though he just turned 20 so that's probably a number of years down the line. Gabriel has shown in glimpses that he can turn into a top class defender. I don't see Holding and Pablo Mari ever being more than 3rd/4th choice at a club aiming for top four. So if there's a chance to get another player with elite potential in, I think we should go for it.

There have been some solid rumours about Edmond Tapsoba at Bayer Leverkusen for example. Can't say I've ever watched him play, but he seems extremely highly rated in Germany. 22 years old, 6ft4, physically strong and very good on the ball, with a couple of good seasons in Germany and Portugal behind him, to me he fits the exact profile of what we should be looking for. We're not getting a 28-year old top class defender, so I think our best chance is getting them in at this age and hoping they'll fulfill their potential.

Hi Haz,

I agree.

It seems the extent of our ambition this summer may rely on the numbers we can get out the door and for what prices.

The thing is, if we have any ambitions of competing at the very top you could argue we need upgrades in several positions, notably CB, RB, DM, AM and you could even make the case for another CF and winger.

As you say, Tapsoba seems like the perfect profile.

No idea why I keep hearing whispers about Saliba leaving. I am yet to be convinced by Arteta's judgement and player development. Working with Pep has given him a reputation he is yet to justify. That said, we were one of the best teams results-wise over the last few weeks despite Arteta's disastrous management of he EL semis so I am open to changing my mind.

Post #509456  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:33 pm 

https://talksport.com/football/888514/

Former Arsenal transfer negotiator Dick Law told The Athletic that a move for Kante was on the table until they pulled the plug because of the agents’ fees involved.

Discussing the Kante deal, Law said: “When things reached an extreme, we tended to back away.”

An investigation by Football Leaks detailed how the two agents involved in setting up Kante’s transfer to Chelsea pocketed a combined total of £10.6million.

Gregory Dakad earned the bigger share of £6.4m, while Abdelkarim Douis collected £4.2m.

Just a few weeks later, the Gunners completed their move for Granit Xhaka, who has not had quite the same impact at the club as Kante has had at Chelsea.

Post #509457  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Well I missed Clichy maligning Arsenal, which according to our friend from across the Atlantic he did.

I've realised that Top Gun must have been talking about Pep Guardiola, not our Pépé.

Post #509458  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:43 pm 

Guendouzi to Marseilles is going speed. Potential fee between £12-15m.

There was a time when he first broke through when you could easily have put a £30m+ price tag on Guendouzi. But poor form, ill discipline, not a hugely successful loan and only having a year left of his deal accounts for the decline in fee.

BUT, even with all this factors if we sell him for £15m we’ll have doubled our original investment. The benefit of buying young players are lesser wages.

Post #509459  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:20 pm 

Rich wrote:
Guendouzi to Marseilles is going speed. Potential fee between £12-15m.

There was a time when he first broke through when you could easily have put a £30m+ price tag on Guendouzi. But poor form, ill discipline, not a hugely successful loan and only having a year left of his deal accounts for the decline in fee.

BUT, even with all this factors if we sell him for £15m we’ll have doubled our original investment. The benefit of buying young players are lesser wages.

Hi Rich,

He's still captain of the French u21 team which is no mean feat given the talent at their disposal.

£15m is the absolute minimum we should get and even then I fear it is a mistake selling him but clearly Arteta wants him gone.

Post #509460  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:43 pm 

david.d wrote:
*%^@*** hate Chelsea.
Really hate them.
Fair play to them.
They deserved it.
Not sure I'm ever going to see us win the CL in my lifetime.
We are so far away from it and that hurts.

You know Tuchel was a man with a plan. Came to a CL final, with a strong attitude, shoved it up Pep with a you won the PL title, but I've got this one. It showed loud and clear in Tuchel's body language, motivation of players, tactics. It worked like like fine oiled machine.

Post #509461  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:45 pm 

david.d wrote:

David,
Here's more on Azeez.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hitc.c ... eez/%3famp

Post #509462  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:48 pm 

May not matter to some, but Xhaka's playing in a Switzerlad v US friendly tonight. Switzerland currently ahead, but really not surprising.

Post #509463  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:32 pm 

Zed wrote:
david.d wrote:

David,
Here's more on Azeez.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hitc.c ... eez/%3famp

Thank you Zed.
Good news if true

Post #509464  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:33 pm 

Zed wrote:
david.d wrote:
*%^@*** hate Chelsea.
Really hate them.
Fair play to them.
They deserved it.
Not sure I'm ever going to see us win the CL in my lifetime.
We are so far away from it and that hurts.

You know Tuchel was a man with a plan. Came to a CL final, with a strong attitude, shoved it up Pep with a you won the PL title, but I've got this one. It showed loud and clear in Tuchel's body language, motivation of players, tactics. It worked like like fine oiled machine.

He is actually quite likeable Tuchel.
Done a really good job since he arrived.

Post #509465  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:44 pm 

david.d wrote:
Zed wrote:

Thank you Zed.
Good news if true

Glad to oblige.

Post #509466  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:49 pm 

david.d wrote:
Zed wrote:

He's refined in his style. Now he just needs to keep a few steps ahead of Abramovich. Rom doesn't like slip ups.

Post #509467  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:00 am 

Zed wrote:
david.d wrote:

He's refined in his style. Now he just needs to keep a few steps ahead of Abramovich. Rom doesn't like slip ups.

I think the last manager who won them CL lasted about 5 months afterwards.

Post #509468  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:35 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Zed wrote:

I think the last manager who won them CL lasted about 5 months afterwards.

Chelsea other CL win was a bona-fide fluke. They jammed their way past superior opponents. Both Barca in the semis and Bayern in the final missed penalties. Chelsea scored their only shot on target in the final.

At least this time they were deserved winners, our players Real in the semi and had City at arms length in the final.

Post #509469  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:38 am 

The way I look at the first stage of rebuilding the squad is look at all those players who contributed zero or close to zero to our season. Let’s see what money we can get in for those and spend that and in theory you’re only getting better.
In a win/lose way of looking at it:
Guendouzi, Torreira, nketiah - whatever these guys are sold for is a benefit for the squad that doesn’t take us backwards before we go forwards.

Post #509470  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:34 am 

Rich wrote:
The way I look at the first stage of rebuilding the squad is look at all those players who contributed zero or close to zero to our season. Let’s see what money we can get in for those and spend that and in theory you’re only getting better.
Guendouzi, Torreira, nketiah - whatever these guys are sold for is a benefit for the squad that doesn’t take us backwards before we go forwards.

Hi Rich,

I hear Chelsea are about to splurge £200m on transfers. City and United will spend big and Liverpool will likely add quality to a squad that is already top two and have VVD coming back as well.

This season was probably our best chance to get back in the top 4, Covid created a more level playing field and we really threw away so many games with indifferent performances. Everyone else did as well but we really did lose stupidly at times.

I don't know what to make of the stories I am hearing about this transfer window.......we need to sell before we can buy, Kroenke will bankroll a big window etc, etc. So much positive and negative speculation.

I am sure we will have lost the chance of some of our main targets by not qualifying for europe so this has to be a sensational window for us to regain much of the ground we have lost in recent seasons.

Post #509471  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:37 am 

It's football. Man Utd clearly second best, BM hit the post after being up 1-0, in 1999. Arsenal clearly the better side in 2001 FA cup final against Liverpool.

All the giants killed off for Porto in 2004, they caught Man Utd when they were sinking, weeks after Man Utd losing to lowly Wolves at the time, going to from 1st in the league in January to 3rd by the time the CL game was played.

If we are honest we were thoroughly outplayed in the FA cup against the Mancs that went to penalties. Chelsea's money got them 2 CLs and 5 league titles.

It's just how things are. The record books don't come with asterisks for that.

Post #509472  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:46 am 

Rich wrote:

Your idea is okay but I suspect in a COVID world that money is in short supply. I suspect other than a couple of players, most buying clubs will not have funds or will likely propose a loan deal, with us still picking up a good whack of the players salary.

However when it comes to us buying players, clubs will want a silly sum of money unless they are almost in liquidation.

Post #509473  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:47 am 

Still scratching my head at Mourinho's interest in Xhaka. Serie A operates at a slower pace so that's to Xhaka's benefit. 3 Arsenal managers see fit to start him despite many fans trying to figure out why he's starting and why we haven't bought better.

Post #509474  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:59 am 

https://tbrfootball.com/what-mahrez-sai ... -interest/

Please let this be more useless reporting from lazy writers.
We need to learn from the unfortunate Willian episode.

Post #509475  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:29 am 

I think Arsenal keep hiring the type of execs who only look at the very short term because by the time it all goes ass up, they've buggered off to their next gig. This is one of the reasons why we always over pay and under sell. It's going to be someone else's problem.

Post #509476  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:53 pm 

Late to the party but thought the Champions league final was a good match. Also highlighted how boring the Guardiola style is. Barely had a shot on goal and really hope Arteta has his own ideas.

Post #509477  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:53 pm 

Whoever is doing the scouting for Leicester, we need to hire that guy. They always seem to get talent.

Post #509478  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:52 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Late to the party but thought the Champions league final was a good match. Also highlighted how boring the Guardiola style is. Barely had a shot on goal and really hope Arteta has his own ideas.
You are hard to please! City played 61 games this season and scored 131 goals - failed to score on only six occasions. Boring they were not.

Post #509479  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:16 pm 

Tomori, the slightly forgotten Chelsea XB is going to sign for AC Milan for 28 million euros. How do Chelsea consistently sell players they don’t want for such high fees? That is a huge amount of money.

The Norwich chief exec has hinted that Buendia will be for sale and his ‘price will start with a 3’. His price was meant to be £40m, so for £30m I think it is a deal we should be pushing for

Post #509480  Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:54 pm 

Kroenke related

Last edited by warrior on Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Video added

[ 551322 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12734, 12735, 12736, 12737, 12738, 12739, 12740 ... 13784  Next