Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, john1, mcquilkie and 277 guests

Post #471881  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:23 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Talking of the match day programme, it featured an interview with Charlie Patino. He was asked which club he supported as a boy. His answer: Manchester United.

Comes from Watford in Hertfordshire, not anywhere near Manchester. At least Rob Holding has an excuse for giving the same answer when asked in a programme quite some while ago. At least Holding comes from Greater Manchester.

I’ve just gone off Patino.

Me too. Abramovich, I don't mind, but a kid in Hertfordshire being a fan of United? It's criminal.

Stuffy moralising about a kids choice of team. :laughing7:

I’m with Bernard on this actually. *%^@* sake mate find someone local to support for gods sake there’s plenty of choice where you are. It’s not like it’s even a clear run to Manchester from Hertfordshire, follow someone you can actually watch eh.

Post #471882  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Yes Ramsdale was back to his best today, but that doesn’t change my opinion that in recent games apart from today he hasn’t hit the heights he did earlier in the season. To be absolutely clear (and it wasn’t just me saying this) Ramsdale for me dropped to 7 or 8 out of 10 performances after his earlier season 9/10 standard.
It seems strange you latch on to this to defend Ramsdale to the nth degree but would never admit Xhaka actually has had a good game for us.

No I defended him after the Everton match. When we win a game and he doesn’t make an obvious error everyone always says he had a good game. Not so. If you watched the game yesterday despite our impressive performance generally you will have noticed our left side is something of a faulty axis. His distribution is lacking and on the side Martinelli must have his picture on a dartboard in his garage because there’s a nailed on through ball in that channel he fails to see or over hits most matches that would bring a goal.

On ramsdale yes I disagree I’m not sure what he’s actually done that would suggest that our fans say his form has dropped off. He hasn’t yet made a clear and obvious error yet for us and the crowd were chanting his name yesterday.

There were numerous situations where the big diagonal out to Martinelli was on and neither CB, Xhaka or Partey seemed to want to attempt it, especially White who is more than capable of pinging 40 yard balls. We seem determined to play down the right, with Ode and Saka obviously forming a great understanding but teams have worked out the need to double up on Saka which leaves lots of space out on the left.

We are a bit lopsided.

Regarding Ramsdale, I am not sure people pointing out that he was not at his absolute worldbeater best for a few weeks is deserving of criticism. It was a fairly obvious observation, his level did drop off a little, he made a few fumbles here and there, looked slightly shaky at times and his distribution was not quite at the elite level it was a few weeks earlier. He didn't make any massive howlers but I think he did get away with a few, including the goal that was disallowed against Watford which I thought he should have saved. I think Rich hit the nail on the head, his performances were 7's out of 10 rather than 9 out of 10. No one was calling for him to be dropped, though.

Post #471883  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Me too. Abramovich, I don't mind, but a kid in Hertfordshire being a fan of United? It's criminal.

I’m with Bernard on this actually. *%^@* sake mate find someone local to support for gods sake there’s plenty of choice where you are. It’s not like it’s even a clear run to Manchester from Hertfordshire, follow someone you can actually watch eh.

Good point. As a season-ticket holder at Sydney FC for the last 15 years, I can certainly back you up on that. Supporting your local team is great fun, even as you look jealously across at fancy-dans Melbourne City, boasting international stars like Carl Jenkinson in their ranks.

Post #471884  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:49 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Good point. As a season-ticket holder at Sydney FC for the last 15 years, I can certainly back you up on that. Supporting your local team is great fun, even as you look jealously across at fancy-dans Melbourne City, boasting international stars like Carl Jenkinson in their ranks.

The silly little *%^@ may as well support PSG because it’s just as quick to get a Eurostar to Paris than train to Manchester.

Post #471885  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:55 am 

socrates wrote:

Regarding Ramsdale, I am not sure people pointing out that he was not at his absolute worldbeater best for a few weeks is deserving of criticism. It was a fairly obvious observation, his level did drop off a little, he made a few fumbles here and there, looked slightly shaky at times and his distribution was not quite at the elite level it was a few weeks earlier.

I agree with Socrates.

By the way what was the atmosphere like at yesterday's game?

Post #471886  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:09 am 

Bored wrote:
socrates wrote:

Regarding Ramsdale, I am not sure people pointing out that he was not at his absolute worldbeater best for a few weeks is deserving of criticism. It was a fairly obvious observation, his level did drop off a little, he made a few fumbles here and there, looked slightly shaky at times and his distribution was not quite at the elite level it was a few weeks earlier.

I agree with Socrates.

3rd in the league for clean sheets only behind the Brazilians at city and Liverpool.

https://www.squawka.com/en/premier-leag ... an-sheets/

People saying he’s tailed off must have been kicked in the head by a horse.

Atmosphere was good but *%^@*** hell it’s time consuming getting in the ground these days if you arrive late

Post #471887  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:44 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bored wrote:

I agree with Socrates.

3rd in the league for clean sheets only behind the Brazilians at city and Liverpool.

Only three more than Martinez, though. Arteta out.

Post #471888  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:37 pm 

In Block C there only seem to be two turnstiles open. Its madness as on average it takes about 15 minutes to get in.
How about this for an idea. Why dont they just open/add/some more turnstiles?

Post #471889  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:27 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Arteta should never have sold Martinez

Arteta has an ego problem because he won’t pick …(insert player name who has been behaving like a total *%^@)

We have no recognised style of play! .

Arteta has wasted all our money on overpriced English rubbish

Let’s get Potter to steady the ship !

Ben White is rubbish in the Air !

Arteta has wasted all our time chasing player x

Arteta is rubbish at making substitutions (note; all substitutes are useless)

Ah but he signed Willian

Arteta is ruining Salibas career !

… there you go the complete portfolio of usual nonsense trotted out on here. I think that’s it let me know if I’ve missed one

Post #471890  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:29 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Arteta has an ego problem because he won’t pick …(insert player name who has been behaving like a total *%^@)

Ah but he signed Willian

… there you go the complete portfolio of usual nonsense trotted out on here. I think that’s it let me know if I’ve missed one

You forget

Kroenke out Usmanov in!!!!

Post #471891  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:32 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ah but he signed Willian

You forget

Kroenke out Usmanov in!!!!

Xhaka never passes it forward

Post #471892  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:38 pm 

Bollocks forgot

Arteta is too noisy on the touch line (Note Commenter also complained that wenger was too quiet )

Artetas training session are too complex and hard work and the players don’t like it..

Post #471893  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:22 pm 

Us, Liverpool and Chelsea are on the best form in the league over the last 5 games, all wins. City 4 out of 5 wins. Feels good.

Now we will see where we are at. We are at home which is worth a lot mentally. Can we eek out a draw? A loss isn't the end of the world. If we lose badly, its a bad omen. Yeah, Wednesday will tell us a lot.

Post #471894  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:27 pm 

121 corners faced and we’ve not conceded. The only team in the league to not concede one. And we’re scoring a decent number from them too.

Jover the set piece coach we poached from City must take a huge amount of credit this season

Post #471895  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:32 pm 

Not sure if anyone noticed but Ben White did that off the ball trip on Daka the same as he did on Jimenez in the Wolves home game. It’s when a break is on and the attacker has a yard on him he trips them before the ref has turned to look in his direction and he makes it seem like a tangle of legs. They are deliberate trips. He needs to be careful because it’s an automatic booking if he’s caught

Post #471896  Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:16 pm 

Bernard don’t watch panorama tonight

Stuffy moralising everywhere. (Detailing impressively a horrendous list of stuff by Mr Roman)

Post #471897  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:03 am 

Rich wrote:
121 corners faced and we’ve not conceded. The only team in the league to not concede one. And we’re scoring a decent number from them too.

Jover the set piece coach we poached from City must take a huge amount of credit this season

Good morning Rich,

I'm not discounting this guys influence. Not at all. But, until it was mentioned by pundits, I didn't notice it at all. Maybe, I am just not as observant. I didn't really notice a change in positioning. I thought sometimes the opposition corner kick wasn't good, or we just seemed to get to it first, or they didn't get much on the ball.

My question is was it obvious we were defending better?

Post #471898  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:29 am 

Rich wrote:

I was pleasantly shocked when I heard this commentary during our game with Leicester. This is absolutely amazing, given that we had the leakiest defence (from corners) at one time. Those days every corner against us was a nail-biting moment. Jover is undoubtedly the key reason for this fantastic record. Additionally, Ramsdale comes out to collect or clear those high balls very convincingly. I love it that he is not static on the goal line during corners. He definitely gives much more confidence to his defence. That said, Gabriel is a really good header of the ball, and can be relied upon to clear those incoming corners.

Post #471899  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:55 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

I was pleasantly shocked when I heard this commentary during our game with Leicester. This is absolutely amazing, given that we had the leakiest defence (from corners) at one time. Those days every corner against us was a nail-biting moment. Jover is undoubtedly the key reason for this fantastic record. Additionally, Ramsdale comes out to collect or clear those high balls very convincingly. I love it that he is not static on the goal line during corners. He definitely gives much more confidence to his defence. That said, Gabriel is a really good header of the ball, and can be relied upon to clear those incoming corners.

Ramsdale coming for crosses makes a big difference. Watch De Gea next time you have the misfortune of watching a Man U game to see the difference. He sticks rigidly to his line on virtually every ball in to the box

Post #471900  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:34 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Felt a bit sorry for Maddison of all people for some reason who was really trying for his side and was their danger player but his teammates couldn’t raise their performance thankfully. ,I’d be tempted to revisit that if we could get Leicester to reduce their price.

Even if Leicester reduce their price for Maddison, will it be to a level we should spend on finding someone to cover Ødegaard in cup games, when he’s rested or injured? Ødegaard is fast approaching the point when I’ll look on him as a genius. I think he’s utterly brilliant, and is pretty well week in week out. His back up is all Maddison would be as there’s no way he’d replace Partey or Xhaka.

Our Manchester United fan from Watford will be 19 early next season, in mid-October. If Patino is half as good as he’s supposed to be, that’s who I see being Ødegaard’s back up. By far the biggest priority in the summer will be recruiting a couple of forwards, one of whom will have to be top drawer so very expensive. If Lacazette and Nketiah both leave, which I expect to happen and to be brutally honest I hope it does, depending on how Martinelli’s role develops the only forward will be Balogun. Up front is where we need to spend big, not on cover for Ødegaard.

I’m sure you’d welcome a replacement for Xhaka. Maddison won’t do that. It simply isn’t his game. Talking of Leicester players, Ndidi I can see the arguments for, not Maddison.

Post #471901  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:04 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Felt a bit sorry for Maddison of all people for some reason who was really trying for his side and was their danger player but his teammates couldn’t raise their performance thankfully. ,I’d be tempted to revisit that if we could get Leicester to reduce their price.

Even if Leicester reduce their price for Maddison, will it be to a level we should spend on finding someone to cover Ødegaard in cup games, when he’s rested or injured? Ødegaard is fast approaching the point when I’ll look on him as a genius. I think he’s utterly brilliant, and is pretty well week in week out. His back up is all Maddison would be as there’s no way he’d replace Partey or Xhaka.

Our Manchester United fan from Watford will be 19 early next season, in mid-October. If Patino is half as good as he’s supposed to be, that’s who I see being Ødegaard’s back up. By far the biggest priority in the summer will be recruiting a couple of forwards, one of whom will have to be top drawer so very expensive. If Lacazette and Nketiah both leave, which I expect to happen and to be brutally honest I hope it does, depending on how Martinelli’s role develops the only forward will be Balogun. Up front is where we need to spend big, not on cover for Ødegaard.

I’m sure you’d welcome a replacement for Xhaka. Maddison won’t do that. It simply isn’t his game.

Probably not. I read that he said he sees his preferred position as more of an 8 which is where Xhaka seems to be operating but he only seems to be assuming that role when we play a lesser team. Maddison and partey sounds to unbalanced a bit. You could have him brought in as cover for 3 positions but it’s hard enough right now with Smithers not getting games. (I’d play him tomorrow btw in for martinelli)

I think I can see us agreeing an extension with Lacazette possibly. He’s 31 next season and on 180k a week. I can’t see many teams offering him that but we might.

Post #471902  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:08 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’m sure you’d welcome a replacement for Xhaka. Maddison won’t do that. It simply isn’t his game. Talking of Leicester players, Ndidi I can see the arguments for, not Maddison.

If it was left to me, my first priority is a replacement for Lacazette
Second priority is replacement for Xhaka

Post #471903  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:18 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Good morning Rich,

I'm not discounting this guys influence. Not at all. But, until it was mentioned by pundits, I didn't notice it at all. Maybe, I am just not as observant. I didn't really notice a change in positioning. I thought sometimes the opposition corner kick wasn't good, or we just seemed to get to it first, or they didn't get much on the ball.

My question is was it obvious we were defending better?

We probably have just been lucky, 121 times.

PS You asked a question about unsacked Premier managers a few days ago but then didn’t follow it up.

Post #471904  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:21 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If Lacazette and Nketiah go, we’ll be left with Balogun. Martinelli and Pépé, even if the latter stays which looks unlikely, look more like wider players. We’ll need two more forwards I think. A top level one as the first choice and a cheaper one as back up with Balogun. I bet that’s where Arteta sees the main priorities, more than a Xhaka replacement.

Post #471905  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:06 am 

It’s highly likely we will be playing 2 games a week next season so that will have to be considered in the transfer business

We lose elneny, guendouzi, Torreira and probably Ainsley. We will need to bring in a midfielder for sure.

Post #471906  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:28 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Good morning Rich,

I'm not discounting this guys influence. Not at all. But, until it was mentioned by pundits, I didn't notice it at all. [b]Maybe, I am just not as observant[/b].

I think you have gotten to the bottom of it there!

Post #471907  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:35 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

First priority is a replacement for Aubameyang ... If we only replace Lacazette we will still be very short

Post #471908  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:25 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
No cheating. Name at least 3 current managers who have never been sacked. There are at least 7.

Off the top of my head (so could be wrong) : Arteta, Vieira, Potter, Guardiola.

Hey ltg, I posted this right after my question and right before your answer. I thought you saw it.
Now, you're going to have to watch the video...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5NmpfEUs0&t=694s

Post #471909  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:27 pm 

Pretty much everyone I know who follows us was surprised at the stat. We gave up a LOT of goals early on, didn't recall any of them NOT being from a corner. I don't recall any one talking about it before pundits mentioned it (although, it could have been discussed but I didn't 'see' those posts :42laughter: )
Amazing stat but I don't think it will go the whole season.

Post #471910  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:52 pm 

We want Man Utd to go through to the next round in the CL, right? :58big-emoticons:

Post #471911  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:55 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
We want Man Utd to go through to the next round in the CL, right? :58big-emoticons:

NO.

Post #471912  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

If Lacazette and Nketiah go, we’ll be left with Balogun. Martinelli and Pépé, even if the latter stays which looks unlikely, look more like wider players. We’ll need two more forwards I think. A top level one as the first choice and a cheaper one as back up with Balogun. I bet that’s where Arteta sees the main priorities, more than a Xhaka replacement.

I have assumed Nketiah will/might stay on

Post #471913  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:45 pm 

Chelsea want FA Cup tie with Middlesbrough played behind closed doors https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60747640

Chelsea already pissing people off with their *%^@. Can’t buy class.

Quote:
Within government I am told by one senior source that there is "exasperation" at what was described to me as a "tin-eared request" by Chelsea to play the match behind closed doors.

Officials feel they are bending over backwards to allow Chelsea to play with a special license when other businesses in similar circumstances would not have received such assistance, and that they have been listening to the club's concerns.

But the feeling within Whitehall is that Chelsea are now trying to penalise other clubs for the predicament that they are in, and are mystified they are prioritising tickets and travel arrangements.

Chelsea wanted more than 4,000 fans at Middlesbrough rather than the 500 they were due to have, and that this is seen as "throwing their toys out of the pram" at the first opportunity.

Post #471914  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:15 pm 

Ash wrote:
Chelsea want FA Cup tie with Middlesbrough played behind closed doors https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60747640

Chelsea wanting their opponents to play without a crowd, citing 'fairness', is actually quite mind-boggling in its lack of self-awareness. Fair play to Middlesborough for calling it what it is.

Post #471915  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:26 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Ash wrote:

Chelsea wanting their opponents to play without a crowd, citing 'fairness', is actually quite mind-boggling in its lack of self-awareness. Fair play to Middlesborough for calling it what it is.

Hopefully then Chelsea will offer to play their remaining home league games without a crowd then, as opposed to only their season ticket holders being able to attend.

What a truly loathsome bunch.

Post #471916  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:00 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hopefully then Chelsea will offer to play their remaining home league games without a crowd then, as opposed to only their season ticket holders being able to attend.

What a truly loathsome bunch.

From a PR perspective this seems like such a horrible move. At a time when the club could probably use some good PR to create a little goodwill around the club, they do this... Can't imagine anyone who isn't a Chelsea fan approving of it. I probably shouldn't be, but I'm amazed at how tone deaf this is.

Post #471917  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:02 pm 

It’s just a classic classless piece of true Chelsea that stuff today.

What is it about that club. Even with different ownership, managers and people involved the level of self entitlement and self pity is always evident throughout the years.

Post #471918  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:04 pm 

I mean, they actually used the phrase 'for matters of sporting integrity'. Just wow.

Post #471919  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:05 pm 

....whilst in other news, Newcastle manager declines to comment on the fact that the Club's 'fit and proper' Owners have just executed 81 people.

Post #471920  Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:10 pm 

DHD wrote:
....whilst in other news, Newcastle manager declines to comment on the fact that the Club's 'fit and proper' Owners have just executed 81 people.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/03/15/sau ... ion-81-men

That man in the picture is not just the crown prince and minister of defense in Saudi Arabia, he's also the chairman of the public investment fund that bought Newcastle in October 2021.

[ 499796 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11795, 11796, 11797, 11798, 11799, 11800, 11801 ... 12495  Next