Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 408 guests

Post #547881  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:13 pm 

A number of reports in Italy suggest we've made a 25m euro bid (£21m) for Aaron Hickey from Bologna. Quotes saying a 'farewell' is likely.

Post #547882  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:21 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:
What player ever ‘deliberately’ plays the ball to an opponent?

I guess it means that if the ball deflects off a defender it doesn't count, as with an accidental backpass to the keeper.

One can see the reasoning with a backpass. It would be silly to say a keeper cannot attempt to save a deflected shot, so it is worth having a rule that requires a judgement about the intent of the player.

But in the offside case it does just seem to be introducing unnecessary complexity. What is the point of the rule?

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-ch ... ague-final

A good explanation of the rules here. It is one of the few occasions an offside decision requires a subjective opinion.

Post #547883  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 3:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ben White withdraws from the England squad due to injury. That's good news as long as it isn't a long term injury

Probably an excuse and they actually dropped him because of his poor passing.

Post #547884  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Actually the policing from the French for our cup winners cup final there was a bit mental too if I recall. They tried to lock our fans in after the game if I remember and it led to a group of fans bashing the gate open.

I remember walking past a huge platoon of armed French policeman on the way out. Seemed unreal

Every time I’ve been to Paris involves arsenal losing a football match

I remember everyone naturally wanting to leave asap after the final whistle and finding exit doors locked. Just to add to the chaos police lobbed in some tear gas. I still can’t work out why. Cloud of the stuff was drifting around and I got my first and last ( I hope) whiff of it - truly horrible stuff.

Post #547885  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I guess it means that if the ball deflects off a defender it doesn't count, as with an accidental backpass to the keeper.

One can see the reasoning with a backpass. It would be silly to say a keeper cannot attempt to save a deflected shot, so it is worth having a rule that requires a judgement about the intent of the player.

But in the offside case it does just seem to be introducing unnecessary complexity. What is the point of the rule?

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-ch ... ague-final

A good explanation of the rules here. It is one of the few occasions an offside decision requires a subjective opinion.

I just don't see the point of it, and the need for such fine distinctions (the distinction between a 'deliberate block' and an involuntary deflection), and consequently 5 minute delays while var grapples with issues that make general relatively theory seem simple.

Why not just say that you can't be offside if an the opposition player is the last to have touched the ball?

Post #547886  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:32 pm 

Decaf wrote:
...Why not just say that you can't be offside if an the opposition player is the last to have touched the ball?
Indeed - and wasn't that how it used to be?

Post #547887  Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:18 pm 

A table of GKs ranked by 1v1's and the expected goals they've saved in those duels. Alison a long way in front - but also look at the amount of 1v1's Liverpool expose Alison to vs how many we expose Ramsdale to for example.

Naturally teams who defend very deep will expose their GK to fewer 1v1's but our numbers are in line with Chelsea, Spurs and City. Perhaps Liverpool's high line isn't actually that good in terms of defending, they are just being bailed out by a phenomenal GK

Attachments:

Post #547888  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:09 am 

This story shows no sign of going away and probably won’t until Saka renews his contract. If he doesn’t, it’ll start getting mega annoying.

Another reason for detesting Liverpool.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sports ... senal-star

Post #547889  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:22 am 

The shortlist of six candidates given on Arsenal.com for the player of the year are: Ramsdale, White, Xhaka, Smith Rowe, Ødegaard, Saka.

Post #547890  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:55 am 

Bernard wrote:
The shortlist of six candidates given on Arsenal.com for the player of the year are: Ramsdale, White, Xhaka, Smith Rowe, Ødegaard, Saka.

Why are White and Xhaka on the list? I think Gabriel did better than White.

Post #547891  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:36 am 

Bernard wrote:
This story shows no sign of going away and probably won’t until Saka renews his contract. If he doesn’t, it’ll start getting mega annoying.

There was more respectable press saying he was in talks to sign a new contract a few weeks back. This time with a release clause of over 100 million. The release clause thing was discussed here about saka before. A blessing and curse as you keep the player but know at some point a club is going to try it with the release clause. It would be the first time Arsenal would have agreed one if it happens

Post #547892  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:42 am 

Yellowquadrant wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Actually the policing from the French for our cup winners cup final there was a bit mental too if I recall. They tried to lock our fans in after the game if I remember and it led to a group of fans bashing the gate open.

I remember walking past a huge platoon of armed French policeman on the way out. Seemed unreal

Every time I’ve been to Paris involves arsenal losing a football match

I remember everyone naturally wanting to leave asap after the final whistle and finding exit doors locked. Just to add to the chaos police lobbed in some tear gas. I still can’t work out why. Cloud of the stuff was drifting around and I got my first and last ( I hope) whiff of it - truly horrible stuff.

Yes this is it. Was crazy , just nuts.

Post #547893  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

There was more respectable press saying he was in talks to sign a new contract a few weeks back. This time with a release clause of over 100 million. The release clause thing was discussed here about saka before. A blessing and curse as you keep the player but know at some point a club is going to try it with the release clause. It would be the first time Arsenal would have agreed one if it happens

In talks to sign a new contract, with or without a release clause, is not the same as Saka signing one yet. There is nothing to suggest he has and until he has, the threat from Liverpool taking him will be there.

Post #547894  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:14 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

In talks to sign a new contract, with or without a release clause, is not the same as Saka signing one yet. There is nothing to suggest he has and until he has, the threat from Liverpool taking him will be there.

Que sera sera

For what it’s worth I don’t think he’s leaving. This summer anyway

Post #547895  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:22 am 

Bernard wrote:

Mine would be in order

Saka
Ramsdale
Gabriel
White
Ødegaard

Not sure how you can put Smithers on the list but not Gabriel

Post #547896  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Que sera sera

For what it’s worth I don’t think he’s leaving. This summer anyway

His contract expires in 2023, only a year away. If he doesn’t sign a new contract this summer, now is surely the logical time to sell? Otherwise the club is risking losing its most valuable player for zero in a year at the end of his contract.

I realise Nketiah is apparently signing a new deal when his contract was on the point of expiring (or has he already?). But the financial risk of losing him for nothing was minuscule compared to Saka, simply because of the difference in their transfer values.

If Saka does sign a new longish term deal at Arsenal, I think he’ll stay for longer than next season. But if he doesn’t, as I say now is the logical time to sell. Until he does and it’s confirmed on Arsenal.com, I’m going to feel nervous.

Post #547897  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:40 am 

Saka's contract expires in 2024, Bernard. We have some time yet to sort it.

Post #547898  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:06 am 

dec wrote:

Does it? Phew. I thought it was next year. In that case you’re right, we do have some time to sort it out. Top Gun is also right and he will be here next season, at least.

Post #547899  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:12 am 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

Does it? Phew. I thought it was next year. In that case you’re right, we do have some time to sort it out. Top Gun is also right and he will be here next season, at least.

We only need to start worrying if it looks like we won’t qualify for the champions league next season or we will end up without a trophy. Honestly at that point he will probably call it a day and all bets are off.

They need to offer him a massive contract this summer really he can’t turn down.

Post #547900  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:21 am 

I can’t really imagine what would happen if we sold Saka. The goodwill built up at the emirates this season would turn to anger and belief in the project would diminish. Probably mean the end of the manager and really the fans would turn on the kroenkes again.

Pick a number you know he won’t turn down folks because the alternative is changing everything

Post #547901  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:41 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I can’t really imagine what would happen if we sold Saka. The goodwill built up at the emirates this season would turn to anger and belief in the project would diminish. Probably mean the end of the manager and really the fans would turn on the kroenkes again.

Pick a number you know he won’t turn down folks because the alternative is changing everything

Think that sums it up pretty well. Wonder what figure he won’t turn down? £300k a week? £350k the same as Özil? Are we talking barmy figures upwards of that?

Post #547902  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:05 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Think that sums it up pretty well. Wonder what figure he won’t turn down? £300k a week? £350k the same as Özil? Are we talking barmy figures upwards of that?

Jack Grealish makes 230k a week and John stones 250k. Sterling is 300k. Surely in this ball park as he’s a comparative player.

Post #547903  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Jack Grealish makes 230k a week and John stones 250k. Sterling is 300k. Surely in this ball park as he’s a comparative player.

I thought I saw Liverpool were willing to pay him £300k. If that is the case, I’d have thought that becomes the ball park, especially as Grealish and Stones aren’t automatic first choice regulars at City.

Post #547904  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I thought I saw Liverpool were willing to pay him £300k. If that is the case, I’d have thought that becomes the ball park, especially as Grealish and Stones aren’t automatic first choice regulars at City.

I'd say that report you saw was exaggerating the offer. Liverpool will probably go to that level for Salah but hardly for Saka. Salah, Thiago and VVD are currently on £200-£220k. I couldn't see them paying Saka more while also meeting a huge transfer fee.

I'd say Saka will probably sign a contract with us for c£200k.

Post #547905  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:02 pm 

Rich wrote:
A number of reports in Italy suggest we've made a 25m euro bid (£21m) for Aaron Hickey from Bologna. Quotes saying a 'farewell' is likely.

19 years old.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18737825 ... l-bologna/

Post #547906  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:28 pm 

Yeah, I know its very early but so far (before transfers in and out), what is an early goal for next season? Europa? Top 4? A cup win? All of the above? Other?

Post #547907  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:43 pm 

dec wrote:
I'd say that report you saw was exaggerating the offer. Liverpool will probably go to that level for Salah but hardly for Saka. Salah, Thiago and VVD are currently on £200-£220k. I couldn't see them paying Saka more while also meeting a huge transfer fee.

I'd say Saka will probably sign a contract with us for c£200k.

I hope you’re right but I can see him wanting more than that.

Post #547908  Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 3:45 pm 

Perisic has signed for Spurs. Free transfer. No doubt a big signing on fee and rumours of £180k per week for the 2 year deal - as would be expected for a player of his standing in what would be his last big contract unless he decides to go to China or the States.

It is a potential commitment of £25m on the player. Conte very much in it for the here and now. In a weird way Spurs downfall might be some immediate success/trophy and then Conte gets poached for a much bigger job - I think he's only got 1 year left on his Spurs deal - and it leaves Spurs with an old squad, mountains of debt and no manager or long term squad plan

Post #547909  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:48 am 

While I think its reasonable for us to have CL qualification as a goal for next season I also think we have to manage expectations. Chelsea started off well and stuttered a little at the end but they will be strong if not stronger. Man Utd won't always stay down. They did beat us. Tottenham as well. You just don't know with those 2 clubs. And no one is talking about Newcastle but they will buy and have the money to buy quality.

I wouldn't be suprised if they are Europea league place challenger next season. They have money and good manager, always a tough combination to beat. West Ham should go from strength to strength. Leicester may emerge again, as well as 1 or 2 other clubs that may have a shout.

Post #547910  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:05 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

My guess is Arteta was presumably asked who he thinks deserve a place on the shortlist. It would seem odd not to ask the team manager, instead letting some Billy No Mates on Arsenal.com decide.

Post #547911  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

My guess is Arteta was presumably asked who he thinks deserve a place on the shortlist. It would seem odd not to ask the team manager, instead letting some Billy No Mates on Arsenal.com decide.

He’s on holiday in Greece I doubt he’s involved in creating an internet competition :laughing7:

Are we sure it’s not just the players who were selected as player of the month throughout the season that made the shortlist

Post #547912  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:05 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He’s on holiday in Greece I doubt he’s involved in creating an internet competition :laughing7:

Are we sure it’s not just the players who were selected as player of the month throughout the season that made the shortlist

Tomiyasu (September), Martinelli (December) and Partey (February) all won player of the month awards last season and none are on the final shortlist?

I’m sure Arteta is capable of sending texts or emails from Greece, or giving his shortlist before going on holiday. The player of the season is a significant award. I just don’t see the manager not being asked who he thinks should be on the shortlist.

Post #547913  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:41 am 

https://medium.com/@wasi.ws453/cheick-o ... 8e89c6caa9
Some good analysis on Cheick Doucoure and a comparison of him to Tchoumeni who is close to signing for Real Madrdid for £70m+

I'd love to see a bit more athleticism, pace and power in our central midfield. Someone who can destroy attacks and launch counters with powerful running and dribbling. Strong physically and strong in the air.

We're still asking for Vieira but I can't think of many players in world football who have had his full skill set and attributed since he retired, let alone one's who we might have a chance of signing.

Post #547914  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:52 pm 

When was the last dominant central midfielder that we had? I'm not talking size either. For a minute, Torreira was a bit of a pit bull.
Frankly, I was hoping Partey was more dominant. I was a wee bit underwhelmed for a while. He's improved but if I'm honest, he is good, very good but not the full package I thought he was.

Post #547915  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:59 pm 

I would have still taken a chance on Pogba a few years ago but at 29 and his spirit a bit broken, I wouldn't take for 20 mil. It's a shame. My memory often fails me but wasn't Mourinho that broke his confidence? In any event, its a shame. I was very worried when he came to Man Utd. I thought he was going to be transformative like Ronaldo. So, while I am glad he wasn't as dominant as he was in Italy, I did enjoy seeing him play. As much as I hated/feared Ronaldo, he was still a joy to see play when he returned purely as a football fan. The same with Pogba when I saw him in Italy, imperious in fashion a bit similar to our Vieira but as aggressive.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61659836
Paul Pogba will leave Manchester United on free transfer

Post #547916  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:36 pm 

Saka and Emile Smith Rowe both nominated for the PFA young player of the year award.

Foden, Reece James, Gallagher and Ramsey

Id expect that to be a straight fight between Saka and Foden

Post #547917  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:43 pm 

Saka hands down.

Post #547918  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:08 pm 

Three years ago. RIP

Attachments:

Post #547919  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:27 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61659836
Paul Pogba will leave Manchester United on free transfer

Man U lost him on a free to Juve where he won 7 trophies, paid £80m to bring him back, he stunk the place out again and are about to lose him on a free transfer (possibly to Juve) again.

When we talk about the difficulty competing with super rich clubs it isn't really wholly down to signings as we're capable of flashing a lot of cash on signings ourselves, the much bigger advantage super rich clubs is being able to make mistakes, really bad mistakes, and not really having to suffer the consequences.

Post #547920  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:31 pm 

PFA player of the year nominations
Mohamed Salah
Sadio Mané
Virgil van Dijk
De Bruyne
Cristiano Ronaldo
Harry Kane

Bonkers that Kane and Ronaldo get in ahead of Son.

Apart from Van Dijk and Son it is just a list of the top scorers in the league

[ 572019 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13695, 13696, 13697, 13698, 13699, 13700, 13701 ... 14301  Next