Fixtures Saturday July 27 - Manchester United - Sofi Stadium - Friendly Match

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 134 guests

Post #298041  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:52 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Never saw the game but I am told it was a great one. At the time I was watching a live concert of Handel's Messiah.

It's this level of passionate commitment that puts the rest of us to shame.

Post #298042  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
So after 15 games we have lost 5. Liverpool who all regard as a joke defensively have conceded the exact same number of goals as we have. Yet everyone has been saying how wonderful our defence has been. We need to rebuild the defence and this includes looking at a new keeper.

Morning Gaz. It's a point I've made to you before. You keep going on about bringing in new players, this time in the defence but previously further up the pitch. What is the point? Because while Wenger is manager, very little will change whatever players are in the team. Koscielny, Mustafi, Monreal and Bellerin are fine players, as is Čech even though he's getting on. But Wenger couldn't organise them into a top level defensive unit to save his life. You could replace all of them, and while Wenger is manager shall I tell you the likely impact? Next to nothing.

Even with the squad as it is, I reckon there will be managers around who would get more out of the existing players in defence, midfield and attack. I'm not saying the squad is perfect and no new players are needed. But while Wenger is in post the actual effect of replacing players with new ones will, in my view, be very slight.

I agree with Bernard's views. Wenger is no longer able to organise and coach teams as well as he used to. Somehow he allows himself to be stuck in his own myopic ways.

Post #298043  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:00 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
It includes some lines that our Cacklers might apply to their enemy Le Boss: "He was despised and rejected of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief."

In fairness to the Son of God though he only let himself get crucified once.

Post #298044  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:05 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Morning Gaz. It's a point I've made to you before. You keep going on about bringing in new players, this time in the defence but previously further up the pitch. What is the point? Because while Wenger is manager, very little will change whatever players are in the team. Koscielny, Mustafi, Monreal and Bellerin are fine players, as is Čech even though he's getting on. But Wenger couldn't organise them into a top level defensive unit to save his life. You could replace all of them, and while Wenger is manager shall I tell you the likely impact? Next to nothing.

Even with the squad as it is, I reckon there will be managers around who would get more out of the existing players in defence, midfield and attack. I'm not saying the squad is perfect and no new players are needed. But while Wenger is in post the actual effect of replacing players with new ones will, in my view, be very slight.

I agree with Bernard's views. Wenger is no longer able to organise and coach teams as well as he used to. Somehow he allows himself to be stuck in his own myopic ways.

I'm not sure he's ever been able to organise a team (he couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery :laughing7: ) and his training ground coaching methods seem to be concentrated around the art of tippy tappy football.

As far as I can see now his golden period coincided with a a time when he was able to cherry pick the french market for better technical players than almost everyone else, bar United, had and he was able to just let them get on with it.

Post #298045  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:10 pm 

Yes loaves and fishes, water into wine, healing the sick etc. but what about Cygan on the wing for a miracle?

OK it didn't come off exactly but I do not like to talk about referees.

Post #298046  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:35 pm 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
It includes some lines that our Cacklers might apply to their enemy Le Boss: "He was despised and rejected of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief."

Very true. Sad to say Wenger is not despised and rejected by Silent Stan, and his sorrow and grief is extremely well paid.

Post #298047  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:39 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Daz wrote:

Very true. Sad to say Wenger is not despised and rejected by Silent Stan, and his sorrow and grief is extremely well paid.

You're onto something there, Bromley, I'm even beginning to wonder...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOuWWzP7wl0[/youtube]

Post #298048  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:00 pm 

socrates wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I'm not sure he's ever been able to organise a team (he couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery :laughing7: ) and his training ground coaching methods seem to be concentrated around the art of tippy tappy football.

As far as I can see now his golden period coincided with a a time when he was able to cherry pick the french market for better technical players than almost everyone else, bar United, had and he was able to just let them get on with it.

After we sold Henry and Vieira he was never able to reinvent the team. Not at any point after Henrys departure did I ever feel we were capable of winning a title from that point to where we are today. Also considering this and hindsight is a wonderful thing but it seems crazy to sell Patrick Vieira when he did, he didn't have a replacement and the effect was something we never really adapted from. Count the days till he goes because nothing will change, he's always been flawed and he knows it.

Post #298049  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:27 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

Barred?

:laughing7: No ..disillusioned ..they built a brand new workshop destroying a completely workable carpenters shop in the process ..a two story building which has no internal access to the top floor :icon_scratch:

The two upper floor entry points where sited in such perculiar spots the stairs alone cost $80 ,000 .
One set would have looked like an octopus with a hysterectomy but after putting 50,000 down for that they ran out of money .
All up they spent $ 250 ,000 on a building which has fire sprinklers , power cables but no lights / switches or stairs .

We have this simpering wretch head of the trustees [ reminds me of Arsene ] who oversaw anything made decisions without board approval , an engineering consultant .

I said to him " I have never seen such a giant sized f***&* up in all my life " " Oh I don't see it that way " he said

"Consultant" a.k.a. someone who hasn't a clue but gets paid lot anyway because they don't hang around long enough for their incompetence to be attributed back to them

Post #298050  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 pm 

Daz wrote:

There's a feature film in this.

Starring Russell Crowe as Kiwi Pete and Steve Buscemi as the simpering engineering consultant.

Obviously we'll need to tweak the existing dialogue a little.

:laughing7: :laughing7: Thanks Cobber Russell's okay

.... but Steve's too short , the bloke in question is a tall skinny simpering streak of weasel's piss .... think Arsene Wenger with less hair and glasses .

Mind you if Tom Cruise at 5 ' 7" can play the 6'3" Jack Reacher I guess anything's possible .

Post #298051  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:30 pm 

john1 wrote:

"Consultant" a.k.a. someone who hasn't a clue but gets paid lot anyway because they don't hang around long enough for their incompetence to be attributed back to them

You've got the first part right but the clown actually lives right next door .
When the builders completely floored the top story I said ...... :icon_scratch: why have they done that ... where are the stairs going ...?
That threw the cat amongst the pigeons ...everyone was happy until then

Consultant .... Oh we aren't having internal stairs it takes up too much floor space .

Me ... but you can use the space underneath the stairs for storage , nice little alcove for shelves , bolts , tools etc ... plus now every time you want to access the top story if it's pissing rain you get soaked ......... and with internal stairs we could have built them ourselves we have a qualified chippy here .

Wetp**** ... in quiet well modulated tones , never gets excited ....... " Oh that's what we decided ".

Me ... Well I've got a two story house , thank Christ you weren't the architect

Post #298052  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:44 pm 

Museum 2: The Consultant's Story

Post #298053  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:14 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I'm applying for membership in the Old Man/Daz "Don't care if Arsenal win or lose Club "
Send your membership form to Daz - I always want us to win.

Maybe so ...but when we lose you carry on opening the sardines , pouring the milk for the cats while humming Russ Hamilton's " Rainbow "

There's the Bingo night to look forward to , the chance to brush against Agnes with the big t*ts when she serves you your cuppa .

No catatonic meltdown with inquest as to where things went wrong , what might / should be done like the rest of us

... life goes serenely on as per usual ...so in short you don't care if we lose :angel4: .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyDvBmvFGPY

Post #298054  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:02 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I'm applying for membership in the Old Man/Daz "Don't care if Arsenal win or lose Club "
Send your membership form to Daz - I always want us to win. Never saw the game but I am told it was a great one. At the time I was watching a live concert of Handel's Messiah. It includes some lines that our Cacklers might apply to their enemy Le Boss: "He was despised and rejected of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief."

And how did all that end.

Post #298055  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:04 pm 

socrates wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I said to him " I have never seen such a giant sized f***&* up in all my life " " Oh I don't see it that way " he said

Yes, tact was never your strong point :laughing7:

Have you ever considered a career in the diplomatic service.

If you don't actually work for someone that is called feedback where I come from.

Post #298056  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:41 am 

Not panic time and really too early to start the conversation but I have a knot in my stomach about the possibility of City going undefeated and doing in it with a far better record than we did. Maybe we can help our own cause if it comes to that.

Post #298057  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:58 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:

If you don't actually work for someone that is called feedback where I come from.

Just smalltalk in Queensland really.

Post #298058  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:02 am 

What's good though is that with the cricket and all, us arrogant whinging Poms will soon be getting a lesson in grace and magnanimity from the Aussies. I expect all their usual subtlety and delicacy of thought to be on full display.

Post #298059  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 am 

Daz wrote:
What's good though is that with the cricket and all, us arrogant whinging Poms will soon be getting a lesson in grace and magnanimity from the Aussies. I expect all their usual subtlety and delicacy of thought to be on full display.

Probably a safe bet that went by the wayside when Ritchie Benaud hung up his pads .

All those snarling tetosterone filled Okkkers Lillie , Thomson , Brett Lee , the Chapells , Mitchell Johnson don't take prisoners these days .

Our poxy little warriors gave the West Indies a tune up today .... won the first test by an innings and 67 runs .

Can't fathom why they aren't still turning out the likes of Richards , Sobers , Lloyd , Lara , Ambrose , Weekes , Walsh , Walcott , Worrell

Post #298060  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:56 am 

socrates wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Bit hypercritical to smile sweetly , then backstab the bloke .

Saw another bloke from the museum today , they've solved the problem
... going to get a permit to use the downstairs only , the upstairs will be sealed off forever :laughing7:

Post #298061  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:07 am 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

Bit hypercritical to smile sweetly , then backstab the bloke .

Saw another bloke from the museum today , they've solved the problem
... going to get a permit to use the downstairs only , the upstairs will be sealed off forever :laughing7:

Has the consultant been sacked then?

Post #298062  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:14 am 

Daz wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Your second paragraph is a load of guff. I don't imagine and have not suggested anything of the sort, and you are well aware of this. This leads me to doubt the sincerity of the opening of your 3rd paragraph.

The rest of you post is a good exhibit of the your fondness for hyperbole. Which is where we started ...

Decaf: Let's not be cynical about Mesut Özil.

Daz: Let's.

Decaf: Conservatives. Zionists. White Supremacists and for good measure the entire American electorate.

Daz: !!!

Decaf: You and your hyperbole, why I oughta....

Not true.

Daz: no group is more worthy of cynicism than EPL players.
Decaf: provides off-the-cuff list of groups more worthy of cynicism. Wasn't being serious.
Daz: a) splits hairs about one or two of these groups, b) makes unconnected but equally silly remarks about Left politics in Britain and elsewhere.
Decaf: a) objects to hair-splitting b) as an entirely separate matter, disagrees with silly remarks about politics.
Daz: Abandons hair splitting strategy and has a stab at misdirecting by conflating a) and b). Won't give up.
Decaf: whatever.
Daz: rewrites history.

Post #298063  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 am 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: No ..disillusioned ..they built a brand new workshop destroying a completely workable carpenters shop in the process ..a two story building which has no internal access to the top floor :icon_scratch:

The two upper floor entry points where sited in such perculiar spots the stairs alone cost $80 ,000 .
One set would have looked like an octopus with a hysterectomy but after putting 50,000 down for that they ran out of money .
All up they spent $ 250 ,000 on a building which has fire sprinklers , power cables but no lights / switches or stairs .

We have this simpering wretch head of the trustees [ reminds me of Arsene ] who oversaw anything made decisions without board approval , an engineering consultant .

https://www.cartoonstock.com/cartoonvie ... ef=rde1613

Post #298064  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 am 

Daz wrote:
Museum 2: The Consultant's Story

Perfectly setting up the prequel?

Post #298065  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:33 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Not panic time and really too early to start the conversation but I have a knot in my stomach about the possibility of City going undefeated and doing in it with a far better record than we did. Maybe we can help our own cause if it comes to that.

But you decided to start it anyway.

Post #298066  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I'm surprised he is so late with that one this year. He usually starts on about about this almost as soon as the season starts.

Post #298067  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:46 am 

Decaf wrote:
john1 wrote:

https://www.cartoonstock.com/cartoonvie ... ef=rde1613

Not far off the mark. I tried to be a consultant once, using my knowledge of finance to help small businesses via a couple of councils. Scheme was well intentioned, and I got good feedback from my 'clients' who said that my help was 'clear, down to earth and at a level which makes sense to me'. However, according to the consultant in charge of the project (from one of the giants), my feedback was neither 'technical enough' nor did it 'fit the criteria of the scheme or the standards which are expected of consultants', and so I was denied payment. Despite the fact that I saved each client at least £500 (a not insignificant sum for a small business), and saved one nearly £3000.

There may be an element of sour grapes in my thinking, but I prefer to dwell on the fact that of the 6 clients I dealt with, 5 still phone me for advice and I count 4 of them as friends.

The whole consultancy industry is too far back up its own backside to be the practical help that many small businesses need - too much emphasis on theory and technical stuff, and not enough on the practical stuff that gets the job done, or solves the day to day issues that holds them up from progressing.

Post #298068  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:58 am 

Daz wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Wow! Just.........wow. In 2017.

Wait, gunfire, we CANNOT agree about anything it is in the forum rulebook....

Actually, I think the the Venn diagram would show a substantial overlap. More than the one of 'anti-semitists' and 'anti-zionists', anyway.

Post #298069  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:04 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'm surprised he is so late with that one this year. He usually starts on about about this almost as soon as the season starts.

It's very strange repetitive behaviour, but I guess that's 'normal' for AG.

Post #298070  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 am 

Decaf wrote:
Daz wrote:

Wait, gunfire, we CANNOT agree about anything it is in the forum rulebook....

Actually, I think the the Venn diagrams would show a substantial overlap. More that the one of 'anti-semitists' and 'anti-zionists', anyway.

Actually, one of the sillier things about leftist politics in general is terms like Zionists which has practically lost all significant meaning since it can be applied both to Netanyahu and anybody who believes in a Jewish homeland and which IS used as code by anti-semites of the right and left. But if you're happy using such sloppy and loaded terms then I'm quite prepared to stick a pin in that one.

I get that you weren't being entirely serious to begin with - nor was I particularly - although you still used it as an opportunity to flag up your predictable right-on campus credentials with an attack on the usual suspects in a way that can only fairly be described as hyperbolic so, you know, physician - heal thyself and all that.

But more importantly you were still taking the debate well away from its original one which was what we were being cynical about ie the motivations of the professional footballer. Bringing in Trump and Zionism might have given you a moment of self-righteous amusement but let's be honest it was a colossal non-sequitur.

Post #298071  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:44 am 

If you needed proof that AW is mad he has actually said according to SSN that we are not out of the title race.

Can't we get him certified and locked up?

Post #298072  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:22 am 

Daz wrote:
When people like Germaine Greer are blacklisted, no-platformed and threatened for not having the correct attitudes to "gender" or when people are abused and silenced for being "transphobic" because they don't accept some of the current absurdities on this topic then something is very seriously wrong. (I was talking about the left in the UK btw - I don't know enough about student politics in SA to comment on that, I imagine it is a much more complex issue due to the apartheid legacy)

Hmmm ... but you yourself think you have the 'correct attitude' on Zionism and you will not hear any argument on the matter. Someone who criticises Zionism, even mildly, is beyond the pale--either a despicable anti-semite, or a sloppy fool, or a parody with "predictable right-on campus credentials", or some combination.

At another level, I don't understand why you think that Zionism deserves this immunity from criticism. Why does it warrant sacred-cow status ahead of say, transgender toilets? My understanding is that Zionism (as an ideology) has a lot to answer for, and is still a powerful force, especially in the US. The relationship between Zionism, position on the Israel/Palestine question, and antisemitism, is complicated to say the least.

And I am not going to be drawn on your attempt to make the debate about the motives of footballers. What you originally said and what I responded to was "Call me a cynic but if there's one group of people it is IMPOSSIBLE to be too cynical about it's PL footballers and I am afraid Mesut Özil is not my top candidate to buck that trend."

Finally, I have enjoyed our little chat but must move on to other things. Merry Xmas, God Bless the Queen, and all that. Cheers.

Post #298073  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 pm 

Yes but I'm not a student who can be seen off with a bit of lofty condescension followed by pronouncing the topic closed (after you've had your own lengthy say on it).

I think it is very clear that the nature of the debate and the use of the word "cynical" (as opposed to "contemptible" or "dangerous") was not supposed to imply that I considered them the worst or most vicious people in the world but was referring to our understanding of what drives their decision making.processes. In the case of PL footballers money and status are, it doesn't seem too outrageous to suggest, primary factors and loyalty pretty low on the scale of things. It was OF COURSE this to which I was referring and only stubbornness of Bernardian levels allied to a slight chippiness at being questioned would prevent you from acknowledging that. From cynicism over their motivations to their worth as human beings was an elision you introduced and, as if half aware of the discordant note of such hyperbole, threw in "estate agents". This would have been legitimate and indeed the joke for which you may have been striving but obviously you couldn't resist passing up the opportunity to also have a swipe at your betes noires - Zionists (ben-Gurion? Netanyahu?) , conservatives, white supremacists, and all Americans who voted in the last election - a blatant category error.

The tendency to withdraw into rebarbative truculence when challenged (while whinging about how argumentative the other person is being and shouting "have the last word") is one with which I am very familiar but by this stage of the game nooses, sheep and lambs come into play.

Just as a final point (albeit one I am more than happy to discuss further because, while busy, I think it's rude to assume you may not wish to reply or have an argument worth consideration), my Venn diagram with gunfire probably contains more overlap than with those inspired by Lenin. It would include not treating human beings as dispensable units in violent ideological fantasies of human perfectibility.

Post #298074  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:38 pm 

As a complete side-note I have moved house a lot over the course of the years and have often wondered why estate agents get SUCH a bad rep. Sure there are some pirates as with all professions but most of the ones with whom I have worked have always seemed decent and likeable young people with a cheerful sense of humour who work hard for their living.

They're not the Khmer Rouge!

Post #298075  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:54 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Send your membership form to Daz - I always want us to win. Never saw the game but I am told it was a great one. At the time I was watching a live concert of Handel's Messiah. It includes some lines that our Cacklers might apply to their enemy Le Boss: "He was despised and rejected of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief."

And how did all that end.
He didn't meet his PKIs, so one way ticket to Palookaville, I'm afraid. They still talk about him, though.

Post #298076  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:59 pm 

Daz wrote:
Yes but I'm not a student who can be seen off with a bit of lofty condescension followed by pronouncing the topic closed (after you've had your own lengthy say on it).

I think it is very clear that the nature of the debate and the use of the word "cynical" (as opposed to "contemptible" or "dangerous") was not supposed to imply that I considered them the worst or most vicious people in the world but was referring to our understanding of what drives their decision making.processes. In the case of PL footballers money and status are, it doesn't seem too outrageous to suggest, primary factors and loyalty pretty low on the scale of things. It was OF COURSE this to which I was referring and only stubbornness of Bernardian levels allied to a slight chippiness at being questioned would prevent you from acknowledging that. From cynicism over their motivations to their worth as human beings was an elision you introduced and, as if half aware of the discordant note of such hyperbole, threw in "estate agents". This would have been legitimate and indeed the joke for which you may have been striving but obviously you couldn't resist passing up the opportunity to also have a swipe at your betes noires - Zionists (ben-Gurion? Netanyahu?) , conservatives, white supremacists, and all Americans who voted in the last election - a blatant category error.

The tendency to withdraw into rebarbative truculence when challenged (while whinging about how argumentative the other person is being and shouting "have the last word") is one with which I am very familiar but by this stage of the game nooses, sheep and lambs come into play.

Just as a final point (albeit one I am more than happy to discuss further because, while busy, I think it's rude to assume you may not wish to reply or have an argument worth consideration), my Venn diagram with gunfire probably contains more overlap than with those inspired by Lenin. It would include not treating human beings as dispensable units in violent ideological fantasies of human perfectibility.

Actually, I was enjoying the conversation, and my only concern is frittering away time when there are summery things to do. But I'm still here so let me try to bring this to an amicable end. What we are arguing about rhetoric as well as other matters. I agree with you that hyperbole, hair-splitting, throwing big words around, deliberate conflation and other cheap tricks (including the silent treatment) are not good ways of making a point, unless preaching to the converted. I plead guilty to using some of those tactics on this forum. But, since you keep raising the issue, I would like to assure you that one of the lessons I have learned in life is not to use such tricks in the classroom/lecture hall.

Post #298077  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:00 pm 

Daz wrote:

Gosh!

Post #298078  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:06 pm 

Daz wrote:
As a complete side-note I have moved house a lot over the course of the years and have often wondered why estate agents get SUCH a bad rep. Sure there are some pirates as with all professions but most of the ones with whom I have worked have always seemed decent and likeable young people with a cheerful sense of humour who work hard for their living.

But some are Purple Bricks.

Post #298079  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:15 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gosh!

"I would have been at the encounter but I was being entranced by the Christmas Oratorio tra la la...."

Post #298080  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:17 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:

But some are Purple Bricks.

I thought that was yer cockney rhyming slang for a moment until I discovered they really are an estate agents!

[ 391093 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7449, 7450, 7451, 7452, 7453, 7454, 7455 ... 9778  Next