Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie and 273 guests

Post #502041  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:08 am 

Bernard wrote:
So if Aubameyang’s decline isn’t down to age, doesn’t that increase the likelihood it’s down to a change in attitude after the contract extension? To me that sounds just as worrying.

There have been a few games where I don’t think he has put in the effort. He is supposed to be captain ; he needs to act like it. Despite what others think- no player can just park themselves up in the penalty area. Those days have gone, particularly at a club like ours that is mid table.

Post #502042  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:02 am 

Bernard wrote:
So if Aubameyang’s decline isn’t down to age, doesn’t that increase the likelihood it’s down to a change in attitude after the contract extension? If so, to me that sounds just as worrying.

Or just a run of bad form? Before the dropping incident and his poor form is in the Europa league game where the whole team was sluggish, he'd been showing signs of being back to his best.

If you think he's showing signs of decline, could you explain which attributes you think have diminished? Pace? Ability to find pockets of space? Shooting ability?

Post #502043  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:04 am 

Alex Ferguson always knew when to get rid of his stars. Look at the number he offloaded early and look how he always replaced them mostly with younger players.

Sanchez went at almost the best time. Holding onto Ozul was the worst decision ever made etc etc.

Post #502044  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:27 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:
So if Aubameyang’s decline isn’t down to age, doesn’t that increase the likelihood it’s down to a change in attitude after the contract extension? If so, to me that sounds just as worrying.

Or just a run of bad form? Before the dropping incident and his poor form is in the Europa league game where the whole team was sluggish, he'd been showing signs of being back to his best.

If you think he's showing signs of decline, could you explain which attributes you think have diminished? Pace? Ability to find pockets of space? Shooting ability?

I’d say his pace has declined. It’s inevitable. I remember telling you once that Usain Bolt’s fastest time was a few days before he reached his 23rd birthday. So he was still 22. He continued winning gold medals galore because as a one off, nobody could beat him even when he was past his quickest. With the same training, diet and so on, people get slower as they get increasingly older. As I said earlier, for me 32 is about the age when I think players with great pace begin to wave goodbye to their peaks. However, good a season Vardy is having, I bet he’s lost some pace. It’s what happens to human beings. There’s no point in denying it.

Maybe it is a poor run of form. But it’s quite a time since he signed that contract, so it’s turning into a bloody long run of poor form. Or, as I asked, perhaps it’s a change in attitude. I don’t know the answer, just like everyone here. But I suggest it’s a question worth asking.

Post #502045  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:33 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I’d say his pace has declined. It’s inevitable. I remember telling you once that Usain Bolt’s fastest time was a few days before he reached his 23rd birthday. So he was still 22. He continued winning gold medals galore because as a one off, nobody could beat him even when he was past his quickest. With the same training, diet and so on, people get slower as they get increasingly older. As I said earlier, for me 32 is about the age when I think players with great pace begin to wave goodbye to their peaks. However, good a season Vardy is having, I bet he’s lost some pace. It’s what happens to human beings. There’s no point in denying it.

Maybe it is a poor run of form. But it’s quite a time since he signed that contract, so it’s turning into a bloody long run of poor form. Or, as I asked, perhaps it’s a change in attitude. I don’t know the answer, just like everyone here. But I suggest it’s a question worth asking.

I agree that it is a question worth asking. However, it seemed to me you had only set out two of the three possible answers: which are a poor run of form, age-induced decline, or change in attitute.

Post #502046  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:40 am 

Decaf wrote:
I agree that it is a question worth asking. However, it seemed to me you had only set out two of the three possible answers: which are a poor run of form, age-induced decline, or change in attitute.

He renewed his contract in mid-September. That’s over six months ago. I was going to say it’s turning into a bloody long run of poor form. But maybe it already is one, if that really is the reason.

Post #502047  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:48 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Alex Ferguson always knew when to get rid of his stars. Look at the number he offloaded early and look how he always replaced them mostly with younger players.

Sanchez went at almost the best time. Holding onto Ozul was the worst decision ever made etc etc.

True, but he hung onto the real nuggets, like Giggs and Scholes. And when he sold top players, he always had the resources to replace them (or already had world class young talent like Ronaldo and Rooney when he sold RvN).

The signs are that Arteta will not be sentimental and will move on players who don't fit. However, as Top Gun has correctly argued, you don't let a player who has scored 83 goals in 133 appearance go without having a clear idea of how you are going to replace those goals.

Post #502048  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Weird how things develop. At the time of his contract renewal I was hugely concerned about the effect of him leaving. He just bailed us out so many times that it was hard to imagine us without him. We appeared to be a one man team.

Now oddly we often seem to be a 10 man team with him as a passenger. All seems to have happened so quickly.

Is it that he’s changed or the attitude of our fans towards him has? I don’t see a hugely different player this year despite what people say just a different team around him and a different attitude towards him.

He’s always been more of a Lineker type striker with pace as far as I have seen him he was never a target man and his goal scoring record is superb especially as in some games he starts wide. At the start of the season he was getting no service where we were struggling to create 2 chances per game and he still put goals away. I don’t understand why people are saying apart from his goals he doesn’t add anything to the team ? It’s always been that way like many of the great strikers ? Do you see people saying apart from his goals zlatan doesn’t contribute ?

It’s more that, a bit like Henry before him, I just couldn’t imagine the side without him. And now I can. That’s not to say that I want him out.

I’m less convinced than you though about his current effectiveness to the team’s efforts.

Post #502049  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:58 am 

Decaf wrote:
The signs are that Arteta will not be sentimental and will move on players who don't fit. However, as Top Gun has correctly argued, you don't let a player who has scored 83 goals in 133 appearance go without having a clear idea of how you are going to replace those goals.

I do agree with that. But I’d add the proviso that rather than only taking the global figures for his time at Arsenal into account (if that is what you’re doing), it’s surely necessary to consider their recent contributions for a player approaching 32.

Post #502050  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

He renewed his contract in mid-September. That’s over six months ago. I was going to say it’s turning into a bloody long run of poor form. But maybe it already is one, if that really is the reason.

It is a longish time. But its been quite an unsettled time, with the team lacking creativity in the first part of the season and Aubameyang in and out for various reasons. I don't rule out that you may be right, although my instinct is that he's got another year or so in him. Too early to say, in my view.

Post #502051  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:05 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I do agree with that. But I’d add the proviso that rather than only taking the global figures for his time at Arsenal into account (if that is what you’re doing), it’s surely necessary to consider their recent contributions for a player approaching 32.

Of course. The point is that it is much tougher for Arteta than it was for Ferguson (which is the comparison Chris was making). When they sold RvN they had Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney, Solsjaer and Saha. Arteta's got Lacazette and a bunch of unproven kids.

Post #502052  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:13 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Of course. The point is that it is much tougher for Arteta than it was for Ferguson (which is the comparison Chris was making). When they sold RvN they had Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney, Solsjaer and Saha. Arteta's got Lacazette and a bunch of unproven kids.

It was your post I was replying to rather than bubblechris’ points.

Post #502053  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:40 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Is it that he’s changed or the attitude of our fans towards him has? I don’t see a hugely different player this year despite what people say just a different team around him and a different attitude towards him.

He’s always been more of a Lineker type striker with pace as far as I have seen him he was never a target man and his goal scoring record is superb especially as in some games he starts wide. At the start of the season he was getting no service where we were struggling to create 2 chances per game and he still put goals away. I don’t understand why people are saying apart from his goals he doesn’t add anything to the team ? It’s always been that way like many of the great strikers ? Do you see people saying apart from his goals zlatan doesn’t contribute ?

It’s more that, a bit like Henry before him, I just couldn’t imagine the side without him. And now I can.

Is this because our team is better though ?

For me it looks far better this season. Last season we were so dependent on him it was ridiculous he was the only one performing.

This year I feel it’s coming together and we aren’t solely dependent on him to get our goals.

You now have 2 decent young attacking midfielders who will run all day, solid central defence options, heroic left back, a battling midfielder and 3 decent wide options and Lacazette back in confidence because of these things. For me it just feels better

Post #502054  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
It’s more that, a bit like Henry before him, I just couldn’t imagine the side without him. And now I can.

For me it looks far better this season. Last season we were so dependent on him it was ridiculous he was the only one performing.

This year I feel it’s coming together and we aren’t solely dependent on him to get our goals.

You now have 2 decent young attacking midfielders who will run all day, solid central defence options, heroic left back, a battling midfielder and 3 decent wide options and Lacazette back in confidence because of these things. For me it just feels better

Precisely. Back in September, when we renewed his contract, things looked very different. I don't think giving him a such a fat contract at his age was necessarily the right thing to do, mind you. Those who were critical at the time certainly had a point.

Post #502055  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:51 am 

It is only a few weeks since Aubameyang scored a hatrick against Leeds and followed it up with those vital goals against Benfica. He had a shocker on Thursday night but that has happened before. He is the type of striker who scores bucketfuls but every once in a while has a game where he misses easy chances.

It is also worth noting that our overall attacking play was terrible for the first half of this season. We were creating very little. Thankfully that has improved but was far more relevant to his scoring stats than signing a new contract.

Post #502056  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

It was your post I was replying to rather than bubblechris’ points.

But I was responding to Bubblechris.

Post #502057  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:22 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Precisely. Back in September, when we renewed his contract, things looked very different. I don't think giving him a such a fat contract at his age was necessarily the right thing to do, mind you. Those who were critical at the time certainly had a point.

It’s big sports, the winners get big contracts these days and the moment they make a mistake it’s cited on the contract. We were burned by Özil and it’s affected peoples thoughts on this but it was the right thing to do. We couldn’t replace him last summer let’s be honest

In the moments we need Aubameyang his contract doesn’t come into it because we pay him 250k a week for his instincts and decision making ultimately. Didn’t come off this week but he wasn’t the only one who missed sitters. I really hope he isn’t benched tomorrow, that would be an unfair psychological blow and could cause a problem

Post #502058  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:00 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Very definitely so. You’re quite right in that.

Post #502059  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:06 am 

In my view at least, completely accurate assessment from a person on the right who is just after the truth (and includes the Lincoln Project of former establishment Republicans). And should scare the sh*t out of any sane person, especially any sane, fair American. Also, re-emphasizes my view that the American experiment is over. Anything that people within and outside America admired about us whether it was ever true, is done. Finished. Not going to return. If Europe were smart they'd prepare for a world where America is in visible decline. There are simply too many Americans who have lost faith in the viability of the present republic. Both parties have them. Mostly Republican but the left progressives as well. The BLM protests were mainly young Gen Z and Gen Y far left progressives. They supported Bernie Sanders and are now disappointed in him. They have lost faith in the American government, certainly the right to govern fairly but also within the Democracy to govern for the masses. The ones on the right are the hard core Trump supporters.

Post #502060  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:22 pm 

See Peter Lorimer, the Leeds legend, died today. I’m sure a number of the forum’s more mature members (in terms of age) will remember him. A former Scottish international (he was born in Dundee), noted for his ferocious shooting from long distances. He was only 74, not that old considering modern life expectancies.

Post #502061  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:46 pm 

dec wrote:
It is only a few weeks since Aubameyang scored a hatrick against Leeds and followed it up with those vital goals against Benfica. He had a shocker on Thursday night but that has happened before. He is the type of striker who scores bucketfuls but every once in a while has a game where he misses easy chances.

It is also worth noting that our overall attacking play was terrible for the first half of this season. We were creating very little. Thankfully that has improved but was far more relevant to his scoring stats than signing a new contract.

Couldnt agree more. I recall Aubameyang chasing right backs the length of the pitch not that long ago. He was clearly pissed off with himself when he missed what should have been the first goal vs Olypiacos. The team attacking model is still changing and his and every role in that team still evolving.

Post #502062  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:51 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... obal-en-GB

Post #502063  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
That's a player I haven't thought about for a long time! We've been spoiled with good left backs during my time following Arsenal; Tierney is excellent, and before him there was Monreal who I felt was criminally underrated and was honestly one of the best full backs in the league for a few years. Before him there was a season or two with Gibbs and Andre Santos that wasn't great, but before that we had Clichy, Cole, and then Sylvinho (who I remember as a good player) for a short while in between Cole and Winterburn.

And then before my time there was of course Sansom who I know is very highly rated.

I think Bernard was kinda right on clichy who was a workman like fullback who I think suffered because of wengers lack of defensive coaching discipline and structure rather than his own ability, Gibbs was ok but not combative enough and Monreal was very solid but over rated by our fans. I felt certain wingers could really get to him in some games.

Tierney for me is easily the best since cole and I think it’s noticeable how the attacks coming down our right flank aren’t as regular when soares plays rather than a Bellerin.

Yep Bellerin is softer, can't cross for *%^@ and definitely more in the mould of Clichy. He also wears his shorts too high.

Post #502064  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:28 pm 

With no interesting Premier League games today I thought I'd watch Bayern - Stuttgart to see how Mavropanos is doing. Started interestingly enough with Bayern getting a player sent off after ten minutes. Then Bayern proceeded to score three goals in six minutes, adding a fourth before half time. Not Mavropanos fault in particular but not exactly a game where he stands out either...

That Lewandowski is a good player, we should try to sign him.

Post #502065  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
See Peter Lorimer, the Leeds legend, died today. I’m sure a number of the forum’s more mature members (in terms of age) will remember him. A former Scottish international (he was born in Dundee), noted for his ferocious shooting from long distances. He was only 74, not that old considering modern life expectancies.

Good player.

Probably the least offensive of Don Revie’s bunch of noswocs. Christ I hated that team - like most of humankind.

Yep. ‘Good player’ is high praise, considering. It’s about as much as I can manage.

Post #502066  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:19 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Good player.

Probably the least offensive of Don Revie’s bunch of noswocs. Christ I hated that team - like most of humankind.

Yep. ‘Good player’ is high praise, considering. It’s about as much as I can manage.

I couldn’t stand them either. I’ve been to two FA Cup finals not involving Arsenal. The 1975 West Ham vs Fulham one, in which I supported Fulham. And the 1970 final at Wembley, Chelsea vs Leeds. It was a 2-2 draw and I didn’t go to the replay.

I actually wanted Chelsea to win, and I have never had any affinity with them whatsoever. By which I mean they were only my second ‘least favourite’ London club because of Tottenham.

Despite that, at the time I actually wanted Chelsea to win the 1970 final, because of who they were playing. How times change!

Post #502067  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:
Good player.

I couldn’t stand them either. I’ve been to two FA Cup finals not involving Arsenal. The 1975 West Ham vs Fulham one, in which I supported Fulham. And the 1970 final at Wembley, Chelsea vs Leeds. It was a 2-2 draw and I didn’t go to the replay.

I actually wanted Chelsea to win, and I have never had any affinity with them whatsoever. By which I mean they were only my second ‘least favourite’ London club because of Tottenham.

Despite that, at the time I actually wanted Chelsea to win the 1970 final, because of who they were playing. How times change!

Actually I’d probably still prefer for Chelsea to beat Leeds in a cup final. Just never got over the club including when O’Leary was with them .

Post #502068  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:01 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Actually I’d probably still prefer for Chelsea to beat Leeds in a cup final. Just never got over the club including when O’Leary was with them .

With all that’s been said, and I understand the hatred,the Leeds team is still in my top 3 best ever domestic teams… with our invincibles and the Liverpool team with Souness Rush Dalgleish et al. I’m hard pressed to put them in order. These three are the best I’ve ever seen...even above the great Utd teams (Best Law and Charlton version and the treble winners) or current Man C team who are on course for a four timer

Post #502069  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:54 am 

Andy Green wrote:
With all that’s been said, and I understand the hatred,the Leeds team is still in my top 3 best ever domestic teams… with our invincibles and the Liverpool team with Souness Rush Dalgleish et al. I’m hard pressed to put them in order. These three are the best I’ve ever seen...even above the great Utd teams (Best Law and Charlton version and the treble winners) or current Man C team who are on course for a four timer

They were so good I still remember their team. Goalkeeper: Sprake, Right Back: Reaney, Left Back: Cooper, Central Defence: Charlton and Hunter, Right Midfield: Lorimer, Left Midfield: Gray, Central Midfield: Bremner and Giles, Forwards: Jones and Clark. Madely was the adaptable fill in for various defensive positions.

Post #502070  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:11 am 

Andy Green wrote:

The first hard core Leeds fan I met was in the British pub in LA. And I recall him saying "That Revie side could play any type of football you wanted. If you came to put the boot in, we had no problem with it, even relished it, but if you came to play proper football, we excelled at that too."

For the most part, that's been confirmed by most fans. They were hated, loathed but undeniably good. From what I gather from Leeds fan, the club thought the London and other southern sides were a bit soft so perhaps they started a bit more physical admittedly.

Post #502071  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:13 am 

...oh, forgot to mention, I recall him remembering that when they played Liverpool it was great football on both sides but when they played Man Utd they were out to hurt each other. Not sure how much of that is his view or how it actually was.

Post #502072  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:44 am 

Almost posted a few weeks ago when Shrewsbury game mentioned from GG years. Went to that game and sat next to Nigel Winterburn’s parents. They were so nice and even shared their home made fruit cake with me and mate. They told us that Nige wasn’t that passionate bout football as a kid - funny how that turned out! What a player.

Always wondered which current player’s parents would do the same.

Next post in 2022![/quote]

What makes this forum uniquely special are these types of stories. Can't find them anywhere else really.[/quote]

I’m breaking my once a year pattern but glad you enjoyed the post AG.

I think those GG era away days were the best - always took thousands away and it was ( usually) good natured fun, taking the piss out of the locals. So many great memories. Did a Tuesday night to Anfield for a league cup tie which ended 2-2. We totally outplayed them and it was one of the games when there were big clues about the glory coming round the corner and the decline of Liverpool. For me that was one of the greatest and most important games seen over the many years of following this great club. Have still got the ticket stub, programme and press cuttings.
Also memorable for the pre game fun:someone somehow got a ghetto blaster into the ground and a mini acid house style rave drowned out the house PA with a mass of floppy haired Gooners giving it large in the corner. The faces of the pinch faced scouse old men staring at them from the next stand was memorable.

Post #502073  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:50 am 

Interesting that some of you have long memories when it comes to Leeds and their implosion and rise from the ashes like a Phoenix isn't enough. They have been chastened. But then again, I didn't have to put up with them as a gooner n the early 70s.

To be fair, if Man Utd imploded, I'd still hate them. Same with Chelsea, Tottenham. Hmm..who else? Any club fat Sam is managing. I still feel a wee bit anti Bolton, all due to fat Sam being there.

I'm happy for West Ham and their manager, good guy. I hope Palace gets better. I have a soft spot for them. Whenever there are clips of the '90 FA cup I will them to beat Man Utd. Had they won, its rumored Fergie would have been sacked.

I would love to see the alternate universe of no Fergie at Man Utd after '90. They would still be good but how good?

Post #502074  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:58 am 

Yellowquadrant wrote:

I think those GG era away days were the best - always took thousands away and it was ( usually) good natured fun, taking the piss out of the locals. So many great memories. Did a Tuesday night to Anfield for a league cup tie which ended 2-2. We totally outplayed them and it was one of the games when there were big clues about the glory coming round the corner and the decline of Liverpool. For me that was one of the greatest and most important games seen over the many years of following this great club. Have still got the ticket stub, programme and press cuttings.
Also memorable for the pre game fun:someone somehow got a ghetto blaster into the ground and a mini acid house style rave drowned out the house PA with a mass of floppy haired Gooners giving it large in the corner. The faces of the pinch faced scouse old men staring at them from the next stand was memorable.

Haha..great stuff!! From what I hear about Liverpool, you guys were brave.

Post #502075  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:58 am 

Almost posted a few weeks ago when Shrewsbury game mentioned from GG years. Went to that game and sat next to Nigel Winterburn’s parents. They were so nice and even shared their home made fruit cake with me and mate. They told us that Nige wasn’t that passionate bout football as a kid - funny how that turned out! What a player.

Always wondered which current player’s parents would do the same.

Next post in 2022![/quote]
If you read the forum every day, was that a 0-1 win at Shrewsbury in the League Cup when Michael Thomas scored? I also went to that with a couple of friends and my wife to be (it must have been before I married her). One of the more puzzling away games we decided to attend. The only reason I can think of was us not having been to an away game at Shrewsbury before - or since as it’s turned out.[/quote]

Me again - can’t stop! Waiting for missus to wake up before early morning walk on Hackney Marshes.

Yes it was that game and I share your uncertainty about why I went - probably because I just enjoyed those trips so much that I would go anywhere in those days. Stopped off at a couple of places on way up including some Roman remains ( don’t ask). Remember a fairly dull game, a long drive back & feeling shattered the next day. But desperate to tell the Winterburn story ( as I still am!).

Post #502076  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:00 am 

God willing I'd like to spend several weeks going from the south coast to Geordie country (throw in Scotland as well and make it even further north) and just see football matches, all conferences. In fact, I'd prefer the small clubs.

Post #502077  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:04 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Yellowquadrant wrote:

Yeah, getting back to the car was nerve wracking. And remember relief seeing that the wheels were still on it having turned down the ‘kind’ offer to pay £5 before the game for a couple of urchins to look after it. I have no idea what I would have done if we had got stuck in a Liverpool side street at 10.30pm with about a pound left in my pocket.

Post #502078  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:49 am 

Yellowquadrant wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Yeah, getting back to the car was nerve wracking. And remember relief seeing that the wheels were still on it having turned down the ‘kind’ offer to pay £5 before the game for a couple of urchins to look after it. I have no idea what I would have done if we had got stuck in a Liverpool side street at 10.30pm with about a pound left in my pocket.

A fiver!!!! The going rate for ‘protected’ on street parking in Manchester and Liverpool in the early seventies was a quid. Well worth paying.

Post #502079  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:11 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Yellowquadrant wrote:

A fiver!!!! The going rate for ‘protected’ on street parking in Manchester and Liverpool in the early seventies was a quid. Well worth paying.

The greedy so and so’s. Glad I took the risk and didn’t pay. £1 - bargain! But it was 1988 so gotta allow for inflation.
Always thought that the car protection scam was a northern urban myth / stereotype thing until that day. When it happened other times after that, I always said I would pay after the game. No one ever came to collect. Putting on that posh / sincere voice and speaking slowly always worked.
I

Post #502080  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:07 am 

This is what we did in Philly. If there was no parking for a club, and we had to park on the street, we'd go to a homeless person nearby and rip a $20 bill in half and say "you get the other half if you watch the car. Any problems you can't handle come get us at the club, tell the bouncer".

[ 548398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12549, 12550, 12551, 12552, 12553, 12554, 12555 ... 13710  Next