Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, warrior and 426 guests

Post #476201  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:21 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
My boy and his team mates had a good day today.
Dulwich Hamlet U12s 16-1 East Walworth Wanderers U12s.
Plus a couple of pints in the sunshine. Can't beat it.

What a hammering, get your boy's coach to Arsenal double-quick time :icon_mrgreen:
Congrats to your boy.

Post #476202  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:23 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Our lack of player turnover has hindered us greatly in recent years

Not half as much as our lack of manager turnover.

Best post of the year !!!!!!!!!

Post #476203  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:20 am 

goonerguru wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Evening Dec
Yes it's 9 a side, smaller pitch and goals. I think they move to 11 a side next year. Really helps the boys to learn the game and play good football.
16-1 is a record win, it's usually a lot more competitive than that. A great bunch of lads, a great bunch of parents and an excellent coach at our club. The whole thing is a lot of fun like football should be.

I'm not having a go mate but the boys wont learn the game if you are winning by 16-1 and I will also add its no great fun if you are on the losing end of a 16-1 defeat.
Suggest your lads should be playing in a different league.

yes when I played man years ago as a schoolboy, we had a season where we lost by 15 and 16 a couple of times and I am not sure we learn anything or they learnt anything.

Post #476204  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:50 am 

goonerguru wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Evening Dec
Yes it's 9 a side, smaller pitch and goals. I think they move to 11 a side next year. Really helps the boys to learn the game and play good football.
16-1 is a record win, it's usually a lot more competitive than that. A great bunch of lads, a great bunch of parents and an excellent coach at our club. The whole thing is a lot of fun like football should be.

I'm not having a go mate but the boys wont learn the game if you are winning by 16-1 and I will also add its no great fun if you are on the losing end of a 16-1 defeat.

Maybe you didn't read the bit where I said it was a record win and it's usually a lot more competitive.

Post #476205  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:23 am 

gooner7 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
My boy and his team mates had a good day today.
Dulwich Hamlet U12s 16-1 East Walworth Wanderers U12s.
Plus a couple of pints in the sunshine. Can't beat it.

What a hammering, get your boy's coach to Arsenal double-quick time :icon_mrgreen:
Congrats to your boy.

Thanks g7.
Our coach could have set the team up at Liverpool better than Wenger.

Post #476206  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:09 am 

goonerguru wrote:

Was at the end of a 16-0 defeat once, think I was 14 15. Not a fun experience. Our keeper saved to penalties as well. Received the first and only yellow card of my career in that game. Had to play full back the last 30 minutes because of an injury, and at 10 or 11-0 (or something) I got tired of their winger and took him out.

Post #476207  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
It wasn't that long ago you were questioning my opinion on our star player. When I was calling for him to be got rid of at a time when we could have sold him for 65 million and you were questioning my sanity.

Wasn't it very recently that you eventually capitulated and agreed he was a waste of space and shouldn't be played.

It's not me that needs help it's you you dumb *%^@.

I said he shouldn't be played and still think that. Regardless of him we will finish 6th or below so who cares anyway. He's a brilliant player and too good for us but we shouldn't be pushovers. Bench him I say and Özil. You said sell him because you thought he wasn't good enough as he kept giving the ball away! Haha what a total spunk muffin

If you think we are one hell of a team you must be as thick as pig spunking batshit and are beyond help.

I don't think that conclusion is warranted at all.

We should have sold those two--especially Sanchez. But now that we haven't sold them we have to make the best of what is a pretty decent team. If the team gets on a winning streak and gels there is no telling what could happen.

Benching players would be silly. We have learned nothing if we haven't learned that we don't need discontented prima donnas creating a bad smell around the place.

Post #476208  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:19 am 

Hazuki wrote:
goonerguru wrote:

Was at the end of a 16-0 defeat once, think I was 14 15. Not a fun experience. Our keeper saved to penalties as well. Received the first and only yellow card of my career in that game. Had to play full back the last 30 minutes because of an injury, and at 10 or 11-0 (or something) I got tired of their winger and took him out.

Character building ☺

Post #476209  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:29 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Character building ☺

Mismatches do happen, especially at the lower levels. Learning to cope with them is an important life lesson. Being at the wrong end of cricket-score defeats is indeed character building (or rugby score defeats in cricket--I once played in a game were we scored 21 runs, and I top-scored with 5, including a beautiful straight drive executed with my eyes shut). Learning to win gracefully is also important :)

Post #476210  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:50 am 

Decaf wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Character building ☺

Mismatches do happen, especially at the lower levels. Learning to cope with them is an important life lesson. Being at the wrong end of cricket-score defeats is indeed character building (or rugby score defeats in cricket--I once played in a game were we scored 21 runs, and I top-scored with 5, including a beautiful straight drive executed with my eyes shut). Learning to win gracefully is also important :)

Yes, winning gracefully is very important, and showing respect for the opposition. The 16-1 obviously was a mismatch, but my son's been at Hamlet for 5 years now and that's the biggest win ever - it wouldn't be much use to anyone if it happened all the time, obviously.

Post #476211  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:56 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
dec wrote:
Hi Brom.

I've coached kids for a few years now but I've never had a 16-1. As a matter of interest, is it 9 aside at U12 level in your league?

Evening Dec

The 9 aside set-up is very good. A back 3 is the natural fit and I found it was really good for teaching the fullbacks how to work with the centre back. It's also much easier to work the offside.

We only had 9 aside for one year as they had twin 7 aside games at U11 which is pretty crap. We have gone to 11 aside now at U13 - full pitch and full-size goals. It's a big change for the kids. A lot more fun than the PL circus though.

Post #476212  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:58 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Character building ☺

Yes, it really taught me how to fight for what I want. I am now the president of Sweden.

Post #476213  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Yes, winning gracefully is very important, and showing respect for the opposition. The 16-1 obviously was a mismatch, but my son's been at Hamlet for 5 years now and that's the biggest win ever - it wouldn't be much use to anyone if it happened all the time, obviously.

It can even happen half way through a game. You get games which might be level at half time, but then go completely one-sided in the second half. The old adage "Goals change games" is particularly relevant at that age.

Post #476214  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 am 

Decaf wrote:
Benching players would be silly. We have learned nothing if we haven't learned that we don't need discontented prima donnas creating a bad smell around the place.

I agree that while we have Sanchez for this season before losing him for nothing, we might as well play him simply because he's so good. But I doubt playing or benching him will make any difference to him being discontented and creating a bad smell around the place. If he's going to do do that, I suspect he'll do it whether he plays or not.

The reason I think he should have been sold is it would have been better to get the money to replace him, rather than having to replace him without the money.

Post #476215  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:16 am 

Nothing short of 3 points for tonight. Liverpool and Tottenham are who we are really chasing. Don't see us competing with the Manchester sides or Chelsea towards the top end of the table come May.

Reasonable goals? 4th in the league...maybe 3rd if Chelsea or Man Utd falter and we go on a run. I think its City's title so far. Maybe a league cup or even FA cup again if we get kind draws. I'd like to see if we can get to the semi finals or finals of the Europa cup.

Post #476216  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:23 am 

Too often when on top Arsenal very rarely kill off teams in the last four years. We used to look to smash teams. Look how many times we have been 3-0 up and simply stop playing.

It’s about time we did not stop and smashed opponents, no matter who they are. They are happy to smash us if the need arises.

Teams must be crapping themselves to face City right now. Like Arsenal in the past they have won 80% of their games before they even take the field.

I can only imagine Arsene has a hang up about injuries and feels when at 3-0 the game is dead, so has his players slow down and not force the match anymore.

Post #476217  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:40 am 

Interesting discussion on kid's football. My son is now captain of his U13 side which is something that frankly makes me wonder if a DNA test is in order. Anyway, last week his side won 11-0 and I have to agree with those who say it's not much good for them although I understand bromley's enjoyment of it. This week, it was a county cup game and even though we dominated, they got a late equaliser 2-2 which we then lost on pens.

Give me the 11-0 any time!!!

*%^@ me though it's exhausting, Sunday after Sunday driving to some really godforsaken places.

Post #476218  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 am 

Prediction 2-0 to us. The start of the good run of games where everyone starts talking about us winning the league and then a return normal.

Post #476219  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:59 am 

Kids football is brilliant. Bring on the 16 nils

Last season my 8 year old was playing in his Sunday league in Defence and he did the Tony Adams feat of scoring at both ends. When he put into his own net after scoring he slumped to his knees and burst into tears and was surrounded by his team mates patting him on the back consoling him. I also love the way after they knee cap each other they pat each other on the back and say sorry. Very sporting and totally lost by the time they are teenagers

Post #476220  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Kids football is brilliant. Bring on the 16 nils

Last season my 8 year old was playing in his Sunday league in Defence and he did the Tony Adams feat of scoring at both ends. When he put into his own net after scoring he slumped to his knees and burst into tears and was surrounded by his team mates patting him on the back consoling him. I also love the way after they knee cap each other they pat each other on the back and say sorry. Very sporting and totally lost by the time they are teenagers

Definitely lost when they sign for Stoke or Tony Pulis is their manager.

Post #476221  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I agree. That was why I responded to bubblechris' claim that we're a hell of a team in the making. If we lose Özil and Sanchez for nothing, leaving us not only having to replace them but also the likes of Mertesacker and Cazorla who will also leave for nothing (I simply can't see Cazorla still being an Arsenal player next season), I think we could easily be a mid-table outfit next season, or even worse.

As you say, Wenger's done a proper job on us, or is at least doing a proper job on us. In my view, it's ruining the memory of his time at Arsenal, and his long-term reputation. As such, I consider 'the best Arsenal manager ever' as a totally unsuitable description for Wenger. If he'd left when the stadium move happened, I'd have seen him as just that. But his time in post isn't just the decade at Highbury. He'll be around until 2019 at least, and his Emirates years have to be balanced with his Highbury period. Even if he's given credit for keeping Arsenal in the top four and the three cup wins since 2006, I'm finding it hard to see anything but decline as a result of his latter years. Moreover, whoever takes over from him will have an enormously difficult job on his hands.

Kroenke and Wenger together? Bloody hell, what a partnership. I see them as more Bonnie and Clyde, Hindley and Brady, or Fred and Rose West than Batman and Robin.

I agree. I mean basically we're looking at the following players going in the summer

Sanchez
Özil
Wilshere
Mertesacker
Sanchez

And possibly Ramsey if he refuses to sign a new deal as the club won't want that mess again if he runs his contract down (And btw of course Ramsey won't sign it this time, he's seen enough by his shambles comment)

Even if we bring in a couple of quality players this is going to be a 3 year re building process so anyone who says we are a "hell of a team" needs to seek help

Then next summer you also have the Wenger contract circus starting again when he will get asked at every press conference if he's signing a new contract.

Total mess, they have to fire him ! However they had to not renew his contract and they still did.

Apparently contracts for Giroud, Welbeck, Ospina, Walcott, Čech and Monreal expire in 2019 as well... hope the club use the next four transfer windows wisely to bring 2-3 top class players every window to strengthen the squad.

Post #476222  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:34 pm 

Entertaining observation in the Times today.

Our last seven home matches have each been on a different day of the week thus completing the full set.

Tues May 16 Sunderland
Sun May 21 Everton
Fri Aug 11 Leicester
Sat Sept 9 Bournemouth
Thurs Sept 14 Cologne
Wed Sept 20 Doncaster
Mon Sept 25 West Brom

Quite remarkable.

Post #476223  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:22 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Our last seven home matches have each been on a different day of the week thus completing the full set.

Tues May 16 Sunderland
Sun May 21 Everton
Fri Aug 11 Leicester
Sat Sept 9 Bournemouth
Thurs Sept 14 Cologne
Wed Sept 20 Doncaster
Mon Sept 25 West Brom

Quite remarkable.

We are now the first ever Premier League team to disappoint their fans every day of the week.

Post #476224  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:39 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Tues May 16 Sunderland
Sun May 21 Everton
Fri Aug 11 Leicester
Sat Sept 9 Bournemouth
Thurs Sept 14 Cologne
Wed Sept 20 Doncaster
Mon Sept 25 West Brom

Quite remarkable.

We are now the first ever Premier League team to disappoint their fans every day of the week.

Not quite actually as you state but I get the point. Haven't checked but didn't we actually not lose any of those games?

Post #476225  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:47 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

Post #476226  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:10 pm 

Özil on the bench
Sanchez starts
Elneny starts
Ramsey pushed forward
Same back 5
Wilshere on the bench

Post #476227  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:12 pm 

33Cech
20Mustafi
6Koscielny
18Monreal
24Bellerín
29Xhaka
35Elneny
31Kolasinac
8Ramsey
7Sánchez
9Lacazette
Substitutes
4Mertesacker
10Wilshere
11Özil
12Giroud
13Ospina
14Walcott
30Maitland-Niles

Strange team top heavy with defenders..............

They'll be tripping over each other to get the ball through to both our attackers. Or possibly tippy tappying it at the back?

Post #476228  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:17 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Tues May 16 Sunderland
Sun May 21 Everton
Fri Aug 11 Leicester
Sat Sept 9 Bournemouth
Thurs Sept 14 Cologne
Wed Sept 20 Doncaster
Mon Sept 25 West Brom

Quite remarkable.

Another first! Cue American Gooner worrying each season about Spurs or City replicating the feat ...

Post #476229  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:19 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
33Cech
20Mustafi
6Koscielny
18Monreal
24Bellerín
29Xhaka
35Elneny
31Kolasinac
8Ramsey
7Sánchez
9Lacazette
Substitutes
4Mertesacker
10Wilshere
11Özil
12Giroud
13Ospina
14Walcott
30Maitland-Niles

Strange team top heavy with defenders..............

They'll be tripping over each other to get the ball through to both our attackers. Or possibly tippy tappying it at the back?

Wenger must have enjoyed the novel sensation of 0-0 and wants more.

Post #476230  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:34 pm 

Daz wrote:
Interesting discussion on kid's football. My son is now captain of his U13 side which is something that frankly makes me wonder if a DNA test is in order. Anyway, last week his side won 11-0 and I have to agree with those who say it's not much good for them although I understand bromley's enjoyment of it. This week, it was a county cup game and even though we dominated, they got a late equaliser 2-2 which we then lost on pens.

Give me the 11-0 any time!!!

*%^@ me though it's exhausting, Sunday after Sunday driving to some really godforsaken places.

You're not wrong. Our youngest is in her last year at high school. After 20 year of arriving for hockey matches which are scheduled to start at 8 but only begin at 10, the daily commute, and dealing with school schedules drawn up by blithering idiots who seem to assume parents have nothing better to do than pick up their kids at odd times, I am hardly going to know what to do with myself next year ...

Post #476231  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:09 pm 

Could have been a penalty for WBA there. We got lucky.

Post #476232  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:10 pm 

Looked like a clear pen for West Brom who then hit the post.

Caught out by one long ball down the channel

Post #476233  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:20 pm 

Wooooooohooooooo

Post #476234  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:20 pm 

Lacazette! Fast reaction from him to snatch his goal.
Alexis with a wonderful free kick.

Post #476235  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:21 pm 

Lacazette!
1-0
Poachers goal. Sanchez free kick off he bar, Lacazette is on the move quickest and nods in the rebound

Post #476236  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
Looked like a clear pen for West Brom who then hit the post.

Caught out by one long ball down the channel

The referee played advantage, bit silly really..

Post #476237  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:26 pm 

Lots of fouls by West Brom, must be in double figures already

Post #476238  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:29 pm 

That looked like a penalty on Monreal. Defender had his arm in a lock dragging him back

Post #476239  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:35 pm 

and another on Sanchez

Post #476240  Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:38 pm 

Lacazette hasn't had much to work with but has brilliant quick feet in the final third. Evans takes a yellow for raking one down Lacazette's shin. That yellow had been coming

[ 572035 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11903, 11904, 11905, 11906, 11907, 11908, 11909 ... 14301  Next