Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Ash, warrior and 408 guests

Post #476401  Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:13 pm 

Ox coming on now to save them...........................

Post #476402  Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:15 pm 

If you want to see the best of Europe watch the news and see what is happening to people that just want to cast a vote.

Shocking what is going on and no response from the EU leaders about the brutal and violent policing.

Post #476403  Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:58 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
If you want to see the best of Europe watch the news and see what is happening to people that just want to cast a vote.

Shocking what is going on and no response from the EU leaders about the brutal and violent policing.

I've been following this on my Facebook feed. Horible. But really not something that can be blamed on the EU? The cops in the core EU countries are arguable the least fascist you'll find anywhere.

Post #476404  Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:05 pm 

Disappointing violence and all that but my god how stupid are they. It's like Londoners saying they want independence from Britain.

Rampant nationalism is dangerous

Post #476405  Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Pehaps he really is old school and wants to do it all with Spurs and England? If he stays he's got a chance ... and what a legend he will be.

And to think someone here once called Kane a one season wonder. I reckon he'll be a ten season wonder, or a one decade wonder.

Who? Was it Cannonballs? American Gooner? Daz?

Post #476406  Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:18 pm 

If the EU had slapped down the regions wanting independence from the beginning then this would not be happening now. But how could they as it was them that encouraged and supported the break up of the Soviet Union. And we would not have to waste so much money supporting the Scots in Scotland who to the man get more per head from the Government than we in England do.

Of course it's their fault.

The other thing they could have done is insist the vote was for reference only and the whole of Spain would have to vote in a binding referendum. I heard on LBC that there is not a clear majority for those wanting independence so it was probably a waste of time anyway.

Post #476407  Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 pm 

Back in 1995, Quebec, Canada put a Quebec Sovereignty Referendum to its predominantly French speaking citizens to vote on. This was the second referndum proposed to voters for Quebec's proclamation for independence. Along with a formal offer to Canada to respect Quebec's new and economic political agreement partnership with Canada. It was voted on and the No vote against Quebec becoming an independent country won.
This is what should have happened in Spain. Whether or not this was even considered, I don't know. Just saying that it is possible to allow a sovereign rerendum vote for independence can be done without taking away people's democratic right to vote.

Post #476408  Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Disappointing violence and all that but my god how stupid are they. It's like Londoners saying they want independence from Britain.

The only thing that is dangerous is that the likes of you with such beliefs should be allowed to vote.

If you haven't had a lobotomy through choice you should look into it....................

Post #476409  Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:00 pm 

I have to say I thought the Brighton fans were terrific today. As much as i believe the stadium isn't designed particularly well acoustically, fans like Brighton and any visiting team in Europe show how much noise can be generated by only 3000 when the majority actually bother to sing.

Post #476410  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:02 am 

Zed wrote:
Back in 1995, Quebec, Canada put a Quebec Sovereignty Referendum to its predominantly French speaking citizens to vote on. This was the second referndum proposed to voters for Quebec's proclamation for independence. Along with a formal offer to Canada to respect Quebec's new and economic political agreement partnership with Canada. It was voted on and the No vote against Quebec becoming an independent country won.
This is what should have happened in Spain. Whether or not this was even considered, I don't know. Just saying that it is possible to allow a sovereign rerendum vote for independence can be done without taking away people's democratic right to vote.

Beautiful city, Barcelona, I was there in 2016. I have a friend who lived there for a while and learned spanish with the catalan accent and phrases. He backs them saying they provide so much to the economy of Spain but don't get enough back for infrastructure, etc.

I don't know how much of that is true or not, but the shenanigans I'm seeing on tv curtailing the democratic process is unsettling.

As far as Quebec, I think it would be economic disaster if they became sovereign and I think they know that. Spain's overall economy isn't doing great. They have a lot of systemic issues. I don't think they will be as bad as Greece but they do have issues (along with Italy).

Anyway, shorting the people in the democratic process may not end well.

Post #476411  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Makes anyone who think I said his signing was damaged more than silly. Read my post. Accepting that German is your first language and English is your second language I will direct you to the words ' for different reasons'. Well beck has been a bad signing because he rarely stays fit & as you have pointed out hardly scores. Not much of a buy if he doesn't play whether he is good or bad.

I read your post. You seemed to be saying you were damaged by Welbeck's signing, albeit for different reasons to being damaged by Silvestre's signing.* To feel damaged even by Silvestre's signing makes you look foolish, and even more so by Welbeck's. If you meant something else, what was it?

I don't see Welbeck as a bad signing. After all, he's performed well when he's played. He also played a big part in the cup final win. He's been unlucky with injuries which has been a shame, but I see him as a more than decent signing regardless of his significant part in the cup final, and a good signing because of it. I also think the potential is there for Welbeck to be a very good signing. Had he stayed injury free, I think 'terrific' would have been more appropriate than 'very good'.

*"I am still damaged by that decision.

Or for different reasons Wellbeck who joined us in 2014 and has managed only 57 apps in the EPL and 13 goals. Before all the Wellbeck worshipers get on my back - in all 75 games with 20 goals. Might take a while for him to get to 100 goals."

Having reread the post I accept that it does read like I was damaged by Wellbeck signing. To be clear I am not damaged by Wellbeck signing. I just think he has turned out to be a poor signing because he fails to stay injury free, hardly played many games and does not score enough and often misses easy chances. You might think he can develop and I agree he could. But we have not got value for money - no.

I suppose he was a 5 year contract so we need to make some decisions in the next few months whether we try and extend his contract (12 months out) or let it run down like half the squad. When will we see him develop and can he keep himself injury free to actually play. If he put together a season you be classing him as world class even if he fails to improve his goal returns.

Post #476412  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:16 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The only thing that is dangerous is that the likes of you with such beliefs should be allowed to vote.

If you haven't had a lobotomy through choice you should look into it....................

Its a very complex issue, dudes!

Post #476413  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:22 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Having reread the post I accept that it does read like I was damaged by Wellbeck signing. To be clear I am not damaged by Wellbeck signing. I just think he has turned out to be a poor signing because he fails to stay injury free, hardly played many games and does not score enough and often misses easy chances. You might think he can develop and I agree he could. But we have not got value for money - no.

I suppose he was a 5 year contract so we need to make some decisions in the next few months whether we try and extend his contract (12 months out) or let it run down like half the squad. When will we see him develop and can he keep himself injury free to actually play. If he put together a season you be classing him as world class even if he fails to improve his goal returns.

I simply believe you're being too quick to define him as a poor signing, despite his injury record. He routinely contributes when he doesn't score by giving us pace and power, as well as an outstanding work rate. Also, being a forward may not only be about goal scoring. To emphasise that point, Welbeck's overall goal per game ratio at Arsenal is better (meaning he takes fewer games to score a goal) than Bergkamp's was. Let me clarify I'm not saying Welbeck ranks alongside Bergkamp in any way, shape or form. I'm just using that stat to clarify that being a fine striker is not only down to how many goals they score. In my view Bergkamp's the second best striker I've seen play for the club after Henry. However, on average he took longer to score each goal than Welbeck has. Moreover, to make that point even stronger, I bet the average number of minutes per game that Bergkamp was on the pitch for is higher than it has been for Welbeck.

Post #476414  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:12 am 

I really like Welbeck. I think we have a livelier forward line when he plays. He works really hard, has pace and offers himself for the team willingly. A decent player for us.

Post #476415  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 am 

The one critique I have of Welbeck is his finishing. I agree he's a hard worker and overall he's positive for us.

Post #476416  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:29 am 

Yet another mass shooting in America. I would have no problem whatsoever in a constitutional amendment full stop ban or restrict it into what would constitute a near ban. I no longer have my gun, but I'd gladly have given it up if the public sentiment was moving toward that.

I'm not hopeful. The election of Trump is a double down on existing gun laws. I've long come to the realization I am a citizen of a country where an unhealthy and dangerous percentage of the population, almost all male, are not redeemable for a variety of things, guns being one of them.

I recall a question posed to Obama about the fear of the government taking guns and he succinctly and masterfully without insulting explained that there are more guns than people in a country of over 350 million people. It would be a near logistical impossibility even if they wanted to. Which also ironically would suggest a ban, even if there was a public will do so would be an herculean task.

You can't help but feel compassion for the individual lives killed and injured but difficult to maintain the same compassion for the collective who deflect and defend their way around any constructive plan to end it.

Post #476417  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:46 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

It is nothing whatsoever like London trying to leave Britain.

Saw this as well..............http://ghanasoccernet.com/breaking-news ... -hiv-virus

Post #476418  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:17 pm 

Darren wrote:
I really like Welbeck. I think we have a livelier forward line when he plays. He works really hard, has pace and offers himself for the team willingly. A decent player for us.

I also think he offers something. I'm often infuriated by watching us play and thinking how few of our players actually make the opposition do something they didn't just run through all week on the training pitch. By that I mean that our numerous sideways passes only ever seem to shift a defence from left to right, never actually committing a defender out of position or forcing him to make a tackle.

We need more penetration whether that be a player taking on a man or a player moving players out of position to create overloads in certain areas. Welbeck has never struck me as a player who stands still and waits for the ball to come to him.

We are at our best when we move the ball quickly and panic a defence, disrupt the thing they've been working on all week. Getting to the byline and firing in cut backs and low crosses with a defence turned.

Post #476419  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:29 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It is nothing whatsoever like London trying to leave Britain.

More like if Cornwall was the richest part of the UK and pushing for its independence. Own "language" history and culture. Or wales maybe, although that actually is another country. Violence not great. They could of course have let the police through unobstructed to stop the vote that was in violation of the constitution and judges orders. Have sympathy with those injured but honestly just dismayed and somewhat perplexed at the attitude of Catalonia.

Post #476420  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:40 pm 

RIP Tom Petty. Age 66.

Post #476421  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I simply believe you're being too quick to define him as a poor signing, despite his injury record. He routinely contributes when he doesn't score by giving us pace and power, as well as an outstanding work rate. Also, being a forward may not only be about goal scoring. To emphasise that point, Welbeck's overall goal per game ratio at Arsenal is better (meaning he takes fewer games to score a goal) than Bergkamp's was. Let me clarify I'm not saying Welbeck ranks alongside Bergkamp in any way, shape or form. I'm just using that stat to clarify that being a fine striker is not only down to how many goals they score. In my view Bergkamp's the second best striker I've seen play for the club after Henry. However, on average he took longer to score each goal than Welbeck has. Moreover, to make that point even stronger, I bet the average number of minutes per game that Bergkamp was on the pitch for is higher than it has been for Welbeck.

I agree he does bring things to the team when he plays. He will not be one of the greats but could be very useful for us. If he stayed on the park or I had reason to think he could put a whole season together he might realise his potential. But until he does I have doubts.

Post #476422  Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:33 pm 

Darren wrote:

Your words highlight one of my problems 'when he plays'. We need players available for a full season. So what do you think we should do in the next 12 months - extend his contract or look for someone else. Look for a player who might be available 4/5 years not 2/5 years.

Post #476423  Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:55 am 

Zed wrote:
RIP Tom Petty. Age 66.

Sad to hear. "You Got Lucky" got me through a middle school crush when she went for the popular guy. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #476424  Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:28 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Yet another mass shooting in America. I would have no problem whatsoever in a constitutional amendment full stop ban or restrict it into what would constitute a near ban. I no longer have my gun, but I'd gladly have given it up if the public sentiment was moving toward that.

Admirable, but there is no prospect whatsoever. Congress is bought and sold.

The yanks are beginning to make the North Korea and IS look like models of sanity.

Post #476425  Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:49 am 

I wonder how much credence we should put into this.My guess is the word 'annoyed' is closer to the truth.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 49356.html
Arsenal stars Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Özil have infuriated teammates by missing a club engagement

Post #476426  Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:03 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I wonder how much credence we should put into this.My guess is the word 'annoyed' is closer to the truth.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 49356.html
Arsenal stars Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Özil have infuriated teammates by missing a club engagement

Allegedly you thick sob allegedly..................

Post #476427  Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:16 pm 

Saw hints of this last week but lots of national outlets picking up that Kronke has made an offer for Usmanov's shares

Post #476428  Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:57 pm 

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQduLyYxky4[/youtube]

Post #476429  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:35 am 

Rich wrote:
Saw hints of this last week but lots of national outlets picking up that Kronke has made an offer for Usmanov's shares

Fiszman, Hill-wood and co. really left us up sh*t creek, David Dein would be a legend but getting Kroenke involved in Arsenal has basically cancelled out anything good he did.

Hopefully Usmanov can play the long game, wait for the sh*t to really hit the fan as we linger in midtable then keep chipping away at the relationship (hah) between Kroenke and the fans, maybe in a few years Kroenke will get fed up with the criticism and by then he'll probably have us firmly established as midtable fodder and he might feel the investment is on a downward trend, frightening that this is probably our best outcome..

If Kroenke acquires full control we're done, RIP Arsenal.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nal-shares

Sounds like a third party was also trying to buy out Kroenke at £32k a share!!, he's like a cancerous tumour that won't respond to chemo.

Post #476430  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:41 am 

DHD wrote:
Exiled wrote:

Thank you Ex

Exiled that was brilliant. Some great memories

Post #476431  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:49 am 

Exiled wrote:

That's great stuff, Ex. Well done.

The photo of Thomas and Rocastle with the league championship trophy......magic.

Post #476432  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:08 am 

Post #476433  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Fiszman, Hill-wood and co. really left us up sh*t creek, David Dein would be a legend but getting Kroenke involved in Arsenal has basically cancelled out anything good he did.

Hopefully Usmanov can play the long game, wait for the sh*t to really hit the fan as we linger in midtable then keep chipping away at the relationship (hah) between Kroenke and the fans, maybe in a few years Kroenke will get fed up with the criticism and by then he'll probably have us firmly established as midtable fodder and he might feel the investment is on a downward trend, frightening that this is probably our best outcome..

If Kroenke acquires full control we're done, RIP Arsenal.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nal-shares

Sounds like a third party was also trying to buy out Kroenke at £32k a share!!, he's like a cancerous tumour that won't respond to chemo.

Morning Wilts. I see David Dein's error, and it was a huge one, as apparently doing little research on Stan Kroenke. I could almost believe he printed off the Forbe's list of multi-billionaires from around the world and randomly stuck a pin in it to come up with the name of who to approach. Unfortunately the pin landed on Kroenke's name. I suspect Dein had saw what Roman Abramovich was doing at Chelsea, and recognised the obvious threat to Arsenal (I think the Abramovich takeover at Arsenal has probably damaged Arsenal more than any other club because from comfortably being London's biggest club with many more fans than them, I simply don't believe that's still the case). This made Dein determined to find a multi-billionaire from somewhere, anywhere, expecting him to automatically become another Abramovich by pouring countless millions into strengthening the team.

I simply can't see any evidence that Dein looked into Kroenke enough to see that a penny less tramp living in a cardboard box at the Embankment tube station was more likely to pour money into Arsenal than Kroenke. So he therefore then moved onto Alisher Usmanov. Regrettably, too late to stop Kroenke getting his feet under the table with the Arsenal board. The rest is history, as they say, with Danny Fiszman and Dein disliking (hating may be a more suitable word) each other so much that when Fiszman knew he was terminally ill, the association between Dein and Usmanov ensured that Fiszman was only going to sell the club up to Kroenke. It seemed keeping Dein out the club, and guaranteeing he'd be kept out the club, was more important to Fiszman on his death bed than doing what what was best for Arsenal.

Both Dein and Fiszman did good, or even great things for Arsenal. Dein got Arsene Wenger into his job and boy what a job he initially did, before Fiszman sacked Dein and things subsequently (although not solely because he lost Dein) went so far downhill - a trend I expect to continue. Fiszman did a lot to ensure the new stadium was built, so deserves immense credit for that. But together, even though they didn't work together in doing it, they both got Kroenke into the club. Hence my own view is that the legendary status of each has been compromised, despite the positives they both did for Arsenal. Dein in stupidly not looking into Kroenke as an owner, or how he was likely to turn out as Arsenal's owner. Fiszman in not caring about the future of the club, or at least that future being far less important to him than keeping Dein out of Arsenal when he sold his shares to Kroenke before dying (and influencing Nina Bracewell-Smith to do the same), to make Kroenke the majority owner following his death.

Post #476434  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:00 am 

I miss N5er, he was good at the money stuff. He's offering a premium but it must mean that Stan believes it will be worth much more and with full control, he has more options.

http://www.aclfarsenal.co.uk/2017/10/04 ... senal-not/

Stan’s bid for the Uzbek’s shares values his 30% at £525m, at a share price of £28k when the last transaction placed them at £21k. Not that it’s relevant; the offer probably represents a ‘double your money’ offer which is all that will appeal to Usmanov.

Post #476435  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:12 am 

Exiled wrote:

Wonderful - thanks Ex for brightening up my day

Post #476436  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:03 pm 

MLS in America's newest club, Atlanta United, drawing an average of 47,000 each match. Not sure how long it will last but its amazing.

As far as I know the tickets aren't cheap. I think football in America could have taken off if it weren't for China. Ageing stars were going to the MLS until China stepped in. America is far more appealing socially and lifestyle but China is spending the money.

Post #476437  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:41 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
America is far more appealing socially and lifestyle but China is spending the money.

How many mass shootings in China??

Post #476438  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:50 pm 

http://www.espnfc.com/arsenal/story/322 ... senal-move

Lucas Moura? A goal scoring wide forward. Could blossom under Wenger.

Post #476439  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
(I think the Abramovich takeover at Arsenal has probably damaged Arsenal more than any other club because from comfortably being London's biggest club with many more fans than them, I simply don't believe that's still the case).

I obviously meant to start that sentence with "I think the Abramovich takeover at Chelsea..."

Post #476440  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I suspect Dein had saw what Roman Abramovich was doing at Chelsea,

Please imagine I didn't put the word 'had' in.

[ 572035 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11908, 11909, 11910, 11911, 11912, 11913, 11914 ... 14301  Next