Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 280 guests

Post #509361  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:50 pm 

Bruce will definitely say Emile Smith Rowe shouldn't even be on the pitch

Post #509362  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:51 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:
Why has var not looked at that penalty? When you see the detail some pens are looked in that’s a penalty for me

Danny Murphy said the defender didn’t touch him. Maybe he didn’t. Now He’s assured us all Saka definitely didn’t mean that goal against Chelsea. More pearls of Murphy wisdom to follow.

Indeed. Always pisses me off when ex-players pronounce that only ex-players are qualified to comment with any authority on the game. Anyone can comment but only ex-players’ opinions count. Self-appointed expert. Self-important tosser.

Post #509363  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:52 pm 

Rich wrote:
We lose it then Emile Smith Rowe wins it back, Saka, Lacazette, back to smith Rowe perfect finish drilled in off the post in the far corner.

So much of that goal is being immediately alive and energetic to win the ball back after we lost it. Saka and Emile Smith Rowe are on it, Pépé and Willian just wouldn’t have been

Therein lies the difference

Post #509364  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:52 pm 

Amid all the discussion around Martinez leaving I think Leno was done a disservice by a lot of Arsenal fans. Yet again in a match he’s come up with a match saving contribution really late on after having nothing to do all game

Post #509365  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:54 pm 

Rich wrote:
Amid all the discussion around Martinez leaving I think Leno was done a disservice by a lot of Arsenal fans. Yet again in a match he’s come up with a match saving contribution really late on after having nothing to do all game

Leno is definitely a great shot stopper. Although I rate Martinez highly too.

Post #509366  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:55 pm 

I’ve mentioned before but one of the things that I really like about Smith-Rowe is quite simply he gets goals and assists. It sounds simple but we’ve had a lot of players down the years who play in those front 4 attacking positions who don’t really have the knack of getting goals or assists. Smith-Rowe has got them from the moment he’s come in to the first team

Post #509367  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:55 pm 

Aubameyang 2-0. Lovely goal

Post #509368  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:56 pm 

:21encouragement: Tierney brilliant, Aubameyang on target :21encouragement:

Post #509369  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:56 pm 

It is close to 4am here, and I was dreading another half hour for penalty kicks. Thank goodness for the goal. Hang on Arsenal.

Post #509370  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:57 pm 

Tierney absolutely brilliant yet again. Lost count of the number of on a plate crosses he’s put in just this match. He’s getting better and better, a real attacking weapon for us now

Post #509371  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:58 pm 

Aubameyang !!!!!!!

Post #509372  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:59 pm 

Subs have all been brilliant (including Xhaka) but there’ve been some good performances tonight from the starters. Leno Mari Luis Tierney Elneny have all played very well.

Post #509373  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
Tierney absolutely brilliant yet again. Lost count of the number of on a plate crosses he’s put in just this match. He’s getting better and better, a real attacking weapon for us now

Our future Captain

Post #509374  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:59 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Leno is definitely a great shot stopper. Although I rate Martinez highly too.

Yeah I do to, Martinez is a great gk. but the way some Arsenal fans talked about the decision to sell Martinez it was like he was miles better than Leno. It was the right decision, we had money on the table for Martinez rather than have that money sitting on the bench. That £20m allowed us to potentially get Partey. We’ve criticised Arsenal for not looking at the bigger and long term picture too often but this was a sensible decision. One where yes we’ve weakened our gk position but the overall strength of the squad improved because of it

Post #509375  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:01 pm 

DHD wrote:
Subs have all been brilliant (including Xhaka) but there’ve been some good performances tonight from the starters. Leno Mari Luis Tierney Elneny have all played very well.

Mari is going about his business very well. Quietly assured.

Xhaka definitely makes our midfield better. Based on what we have him and Partey is probably the best 2 man midfield we have

Post #509376  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:09 pm 

Fingers crossed we get Marine in the next round.

Post #509377  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
DHD wrote:

Xhaka definitely makes our midfield better. Based on what we have him and Partey is probably the best 2 man midfield we have

Do you think they’d work as a pair? I think they both want to do similar things, ie take the ball from the defence and distribute, just Partey does them better and offers better mobility and protection of the back four.

Post #509378  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:22 pm 

Rich wrote:
DHD wrote:

It is also worth mentioning that while Tierney gets the assist for Aubameyang’s goal, it was actually Xhaka who opened Newcastle up with his ball to Tierney. It was noticeable that we didn’t really improve when he had his ban after being sent off. We were in dreadful form beforehand and stayed in dreadful form when he was out.

At the moment, I agree with you Rich. Xhaka gets in our team because he makes the midfield better. He’s a million miles from my best ever Arsenal team. But he’s even further from my worst.

Post #509379  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
DHD wrote:

Apart from one dodgy ball out I felt Luiz had a fine game. He shows leadership and seems respected by the other players.

Post #509380  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:30 pm 

I was disappointed that Willock and Nelson didn’t really take their chance today.

Post #509381  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:36 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

It is also worth mentioning that while Tierney gets the assist for Aubameyang’s goal, it was actually Xhaka who opened Newcastle up with his ball to Tierney. It was noticeable that we didn’t really improve when he had his ban after being sent off. We were in dreadful form beforehand and stayed in dreadful form when he was out.

At the moment, I agree with you Rich. Xhaka gets in our team because he makes the midfield better. He’s a million miles from my best ever Arsenal team. But he’s even further from my worst.

It was a sublime pass by Xhaka.

He is a weird player. Great vision and super skills. If only he could cut out the nonsense bits like diving in with two feet.

Post #509382  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

If we’re playing teams where we are likely to have most of the ball and the opponents are going to sit deep then Xhaka has to play. In terms of technique, ball retention, passing he’s far better than any other central mid other than Partey.
I felt sorry for Willock and Nelson tonight, there was an opportunity and neither took it. It’s hard to see that either are good enough for us, I would also include Nketiah in that as well. If any of them are on long deals I’d be happy to see them on a year long loan to a prem team as a kind of final chance or a chance for us to put them in the shop window. If you were offered anything over £15m for any of them you’d take it

Post #509383  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
DHD wrote:

It wasn’t hard for Xhaka to look good when he’s coming on for willock.

Post #509384  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
We Must be watching different games. The only good thing he did was the run on the break when he got taken out

We obviously were watching different first halves. His performance dropped in the second half, which got him taken off. But I thought he had a more than decent first half.

Well he was shocking and I’m glad to know I’m not alone in thinking that

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/5561

Willian - 0 - Just as Arsenal manage to offload an ageing, disinterested, big-earner in Mesut Özil, they will be dismayed to find they have already been lumbered with another one in the form of Willian. The Brazilian the hopeless in every conceivable way before being taken off.

Post #509385  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
We obviously were watching different first halves. His performance dropped in the second half, which got him taken off. But I thought he had a more than decent first half.

Willian - 0 - Just as Arsenal manage to offload an ageing, disinterested, big-earner in Mesut Özil, they will be dismayed to find they have already been lumbered with another one in the form of Willian. The Brazilian the hopeless in every conceivable way before being taken off.

I’m comforted that you feel relieved by having your views supported by someone who’s presumably a moron. By the way, weren’t you delighted when we signed Willian?

Post #509386  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’m comforted that you feel relieved by having your views supported by someone who’s presumably a moron. By the way, weren’t you delighted when we signed Willian?

To be fair I was pleased when we signed Willian. Even more so after his first game for us. Considerably less so now.

Post #509387  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:13 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
To be fair I was pleased when we signed Willian. Even more so after his first game for us. Considerably less so now.

That’s a fair point and I’ve been disappointed by him. But to give him a score of 0 out of 10 is idiotic.

Post #509388  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:16 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No I was on the fence on that one.

Post #509389  Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He was put in a decent shift at Chelsea. Now at Arsenal not so much. Three more years. The most exciting from from Willian was that trip to Dubai visit the steak seasoning chef, Salt Bae Or as he put it....to fulfill image contracts.
:14laughter:

Post #509390  Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:19 am 

Now that Aubameyang has started scoring, please carry on. That goal should boost him back to his goal scoring heights. I am most certain he is more assured with the more driven players around him. Players like Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, Emile Smith Rowe & Elneny. Even Xhaka is playing more forward passes, and looking for the long through balls. Add Partey to the party, and Aubameyang should get more service.

Post #509391  Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:22 am 

Zed wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

He was put in a decent shift at Chelsea. Now at Arsenal not so much. Three more years. The most exciting from from Willian was that trip to Dubai visit the steak seasoning chef, Salt Bae Or as he put it....to fulfill image contracts.
:14laughter:

Willian is in retirement mode. His body language says so. We really should stop accepting free-gifts from the top clubs. These free transfers, albeit with high wages, only gives us semi-retirees.

Post #509392  Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:23 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

That’s a fair point and I’ve been disappointed by him. But to give him a score of 0 out of 10 is idiotic.

Yes, I agree. He should have given him a minus 10 :42laughter:

Post #509393  Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:26 am 

Bernard wrote:
I was disappointed that Willock and Nelson didn’t really take their chance today.

I felt the same. Nelson started the game fairly well. But fell away eventually. Willock don't seem to have a footballing brain. Cannot be relied upon to make the plays for us from midfield. Many months ago, I thought he was our next Vieira. Very sadly, I am so wrong (very sadly for him, not me. I really wanted him to succeed)

Post #509394  Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:15 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I felt the same. Nelson started the game fairly well. But fell away eventually. Willock don't seem to have a footballing brain. Cannot be relied upon to make the plays for us from midfield. Many months ago, I thought he was our next Vieira. Very sadly, I am so wrong (very sadly for him, not me. I really wanted him to succeed)

Lost his way and I suspect by trying to follow too closely Arteta's instructions. Could do with time on loan.

Post #509395  Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:11 am 

I think the most important thing about last night is just how serious the injury to Martinelli is. I recall reading an article some years ago talking about the impact of big injuries on a young players development, especially when the body is not yet fully developed. I think the conclusion was that one big injury as a kid can be overcome, even though it may leave an inherent weakness, but two or more is much more complicated and can seriously impact the players career.

I think we have seen the impact on Jack Wilshere of a catalogue of injuries at a young age, lets hope that Martinelli does not have another long term issue.

Post #509396  Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:14 am 

I thought Pablo Mari was excellent again last night. He's not the quickest but his anticipation and reading of the game seem very good, he's physically strong, dominant in the air and extremely composed on the ball. I don't think Gabriel gets back in the team just yet.

Post #509397  Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:14 am 

Shout out to Leno for a magnificent double save towards the end.

Post #509398  Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 am 

socrates wrote:
I thought Pablo Mari was excellent again last night. He's not the quickest but his anticipation and reading of the game seem very good, he's physically strong, dominant in the air and extremely composed on the ball. I don't think Gabriel gets back in the team just yet.

I also thought Luiz had a fine game.

Post #509399  Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

I also thought Luiz had a fine game.

Hi Bernard,

He did, yes, he was excellent both defensively and offensively.

Post #509400  Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:44 am 

Cant quite understand why AMN and Nketiah didn't get much of a look-in yesterday. You'd have thought that if AMN doen't start in a cup game like this then he might as well not be at the club. Arteta has bigged up Nketiah and suddenly in a game where he you would think he would start, he doesn't.

Despite the uptick in form I still remain unconvinced by Arteta's selections and in-game management.

[ 559787 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12732, 12733, 12734, 12735, 12736, 12737, 12738 ... 13995  Next