Fixtures Sunday May 19th - Everton - Emirates Stadium - 4:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Googlebot, warrior and 30 guests

Post #376881  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:55 am 

Even if we now maintain our status as perennial title contenders for the next few years, the title may not be as 'easy' (air quotes) to win as this season. Liverpool will be back and when they are playing at their best, well, we've seen that. Man Utd seems to be back will only get better. Newcastle will be a top 4 candidate from now on with all their money. They will be much stronger next season after a summer of big buys. Chelsea can go either way but they have the squad to be very good.

Next season will be highly contested. Far more than this season I imagine and even if we put in a similar effort after 23 games, it may likely leave us trailing the leaders whoever that may be.

Post #376882  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:47 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/02/20/bukayo-saka-sinned-against-sinning-why-yellow-card-imbalance/

Quote:
There is something curious, though, about the frequency with which opposition players are booked – or, indeed, not booked – for fouling the England winger. This season, Saka has won 40 fouls in the Premier League, the ninth highest in the division, but has drawn only four cards (one card every 10 fouls).

The other most-fouled wingers in the league have so far drawn yellow cards much more frequently. Wilfried Zaha has drawn nine cards from 57 fouls (one card every 6.3 fouls), Jack Grealish has drawn 10 cards from 49 fouls (one card every 4.9 fouls) and Jarrod Bowen has drawn six cards from 45 fouls (one card every 7.5 fouls).

It is a quirk that is not just isolated to this season. Since making his Premier League debut in January 2019, Saka has been the ninth-most fouled current player in the division. Over the course of his top-flight career, he has drawn a card every 7.3 fouls. In that time, the most-fouled forwards in the league (Zaha, Grealish, Jordan Ayew, James Maddison, Richarlison, Adama Traore and Harry Kane) have all drawn cards more frequently.

To make matters even worse for Saka, his own fouls are being regularly punished with bookings. This season he averages 4.8 fouls committed per yellow card he receives, which means he has been more than twice as likely to be booked for committing a foul as an opponent is to be booked for fouling him.

And so the conclusion for such statistical anomalies from such a large sample size are.....?
a) race
b) arsenal
c)?

Post #376883  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:49 pm 

Elneny signs a contract extension. This isn't the year option the club had on his deal this is a new deal which according to reports is on reduced wages. A lot of the contract will be recuperation from his serious injury. Arsenal doing the right thing for the player - this relatively small outlay and show of loyalty should have much wider reaching consequences

Post #376884  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:00 pm 

Apparently a guy timed all the time wasted by Martinez at the weekend and it was over 5 minutes in the second half. Now of course he’s allowed to take some time but 5 minutes for one guy.

How long have we and surely football fans in general pleaded for proper policing of time wasting by officials. It’s rule breaking just like any other rule. The pointless 85th minute booking does nothing

Post #376885  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:02 pm 

Camavingha plays for Real tonight worth watching. Rumour is Arteta likes him and he may be willing to move to us possibly loan first.

Post #376886  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:12 pm 

Scousers 1 up with a great finish from Nunez. Although he's blown hot and cold a bit he looks like a top prospect to me. Unfortunately.

Post #376887  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:39 pm 

From 2-0 up Vinicius scores twice and game is level at 2-2.

RM have the upper hand now.

Post #376888  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:44 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Excellent comedy goalkeeping at both ends.

Post #376889  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:26 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Is Vinicius Jr one of the most underrated players in the world right now. He flies under the radar amongst more high profile names. 18 goals and 8 assists this season….and all while putting up with horrific racist abuse in Spain on a regular basis

Post #376890  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:28 pm 

5-2 :42laughter: :12hello-bye:

Post #376891  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:29 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
5-2 :42laughter: :12hello-bye:

:15laughter:

Post #376892  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:34 pm 

Wow don't they look glum. Could the daggers be out for the Klopp?

Post #376893  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Is Vinicius Jr one of the most underrated players in the world right now. He flies under the radar amongst more high profile names. 18 goals and 8 assists this season….and all while putting up with horrific racist abuse in Spain on a regular basis

He's a cracking player. That first goal tonight was stunning. It was insanely fast execution.

Post #376894  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:42 pm 

5 goals without reply at Anfield. Has that ever happened?

Post #376895  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:52 pm 

When fans talk about net spend of their clubs they always ignore the annual salary output for the club.
The list below shows Arsenal with the 6th highest wage bill in the league which is over £100m less per year than Chelsea and Man U, and nearly £100m less than City.

Being out of the champions league and the guaranteed riches it brings has meant we’ve had to drop wages - which in many ways makes the rebuild even more impressive as we’ve had to do it with players not on big wages.

However, it looks likely we’ll be in the CL next year and then these comparative wage bills may really start to come to fruition.

We can afford to spend a net of £114m MORE than Man U on transfer fees and we’d still break even with them when players wages are added in - and the wages are guaranteed to have to be paid each year - transfer fees are amortised over the length of the contract.

Attachments:

Post #376896  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:55 pm 

dec wrote:
5 goals without reply at Anfield. Has that ever happened?

Bbc said it’s only the 3rd time Liverpool have conceded 5 at home this century. The other two times were both Arsenal. 6-3 win and 5-5 draw both in the league cup.

We didn’t quite get the 5 without reply in the 6-3 win. It was 1-1 then we scored 4 without reply to make it 5-1, Liverpool pulled 2 back then we made it 6-3

Post #376897  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:17 pm 

Fixtures adjusted. How will we survive this 3 days …

Wed 26: MCFC (A) 8pm

• Sat 29: Chelsea (H) 5.30pm

Post #376898  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:55 am 

Rich wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Not for me. He was probably Brazil's best attacking player at the world cup.

Post #376899  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:41 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Fixtures adjusted. How will we survive this 3 days …

Wed 26: MCFC (A) 8pm

• Sat 29: Chelsea (H) 5.30pm

There is a full midweek programme when we play Man City - so Chelsea also have a game that same night. Albeit their game is at home but still the same rest period

Post #376900  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:43 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:

Not for me. He was probably Brazil's best attacking player at the world cup.

Fair enough, but before last night if you asked the average fan to name the top 10 or 20 players in the world right now I doubt many of them would have put his name in their list

Post #376901  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:37 am 

Liverpool's downfall is a good lesson for us. We're on the rise and hope to stay there long term. Liverpool in their heyday had maybe the hardest working and well drilled front 3 and midfield 3 behind them. They let it go stale by not bringing in fresh players and flogging the current players for too long in that system. This has then exposed a defence once considered world class to something that resembles a total shambles.

Also Liverpool have tried to regenerate their front 3 by spending about £160m on Nunez, Jota, Diaz - that may end up working out for them and they've been unlucky with injuries to the last two but they've ignored the need for legs in midfield.

We need to have squad building plans for next year, next couple of years and in 5 years time. Because of the age of our squad we could keep them together for a while but they will also reach peak age and then declining age at the same time.

Post #376902  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:37 pm 

john1 wrote:
This made me chuckle:

https://t.co/8EsgRDe3Ow

Watch the video

Hilarious :1laughter:

Post #376903  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:06 pm 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2zolEGmyT ... e=youtu.be

It feels like so long since Jesus played for us you forget just how transformative he was. This video is incredible. Can’t wait to have him back

Post #376904  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:04 pm 

hi all

sorry its a month late, as ive had an incredibly busy period this past few weeks. here is the montage i did as a tribute to Bernard, that i presented to his family at the memorial at the Orange tree in Totteridge last month.

As DHD gave in his account at the time, it was a lovely gathering including Hester (True Gooner) and Gaz (B/wood) from this parish (or formerly) and several other Arsenal fans including Kev Whitcher (former Gooner Editor) and Nigel Phillips (president of AST)

theres a couple of shots of it in situ too

RIP the great man

Attachments:

Post #376905  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
Liverpool's downfall is a good lesson for us. We're on the rise and hope to stay there long term. Liverpool in their heyday had maybe the hardest working and well drilled front 3 and midfield 3 behind them. They let it go stale by not bringing in fresh players and flogging the current players for too long in that system. This has then exposed a defence once considered world class to something that resembles a total shambles.

Also Liverpool have tried to regenerate their front 3 by spending about £160m on Nunez, Jota, Diaz - that may end up working out for them and they've been unlucky with injuries to the last two but they've ignored the need for legs in midfield.

We need to have squad building plans for next year, next couple of years and in 5 years time. Because of the age of our squad we could keep them together for a while but they will also reach peak age and then declining age at the same time.

Hi Rich, do you know I was thinking the exact same thing. Liverpool did buy midfielders but they all tanked.

Oxlaide-Chamberlain 40M
Keita - 40M
Thiago - 26M
Curtis Jones - I think they were banking on him progressing in a way he hasn’t.

They’ve all been injury prone or just not worked out. It’s the opposite of Salah, Mané, Van Dijk and Allison - a stunning row of hits, it’s been miss after miss until finally the midfiled reached 30+ and started to crumble. .

It’s not quite the same for us, for 5 years our core will be reaching its peak, with Xhaka then Partey reaching 30+ first then a gap, in a way where it’s isn’t 4 or 5 players at once.

Excellent recruitment is just vital. Ideally you need your development purchases (like F.Vieira) to sit in the wings for a season or two and burst into the first 11 ready, and you need the expensive ones to be hits immediately.

Post #376906  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:11 pm 

Whilst i'm on here, it so happens i'm going to be in London this saturday and was wondering if any of the London/North london contingent know what the latest state of play is with pubs around "the manor" showing our 3 pm /non official tv games ? Its been a few years (probably 5 ) since I last did this , and i'm aware there has been clampdowns on some pubs, but i excpect other have sprung up .

By all means DM me about any venues that you think do this currently , in view of the clandestine nature of such information being out there and places potentially getting fined.

All in all, i'm loving the ride this season , cant wait to see Jesus back, we miss him

Post #376907  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:21 pm 

Ash wrote:
Hi Rich, do you know I was thinking the exact same thing. Liverpool did buy midfielders but they all tanked.

Oxlaide-Chamberlain 40M
Keita - 40M
Thiago - 26M
Curtis Jones - I think they were banking on him progressing in a way he hasn’t.

They’ve all been injury prone or just not worked out. It’s the opposite of Salah, Mané, Van Dijk and Allison - a stunning row of hits, it’s been miss after miss until finally the midfiled reached 30+ and started to crumble. .

It’s not quite the same for us, for 5 years our core will be reaching its peak, with Xhaka then Partey reaching 30+ first then a gap, in a way where it’s isn’t 4 or 5 players at once.

Excellent recruitment is just vital. Ideally you need your development purchases (like F.Vieira) to sit in the wings for a season or two and burst into the first 11 ready, and you need the expensive ones to be hits immediately.

This is a really good piece https://arseblog.com/2023/02/the-second-layer/ Tim Stillman wrote on Arseblog a few weeks back that looks at the issue of building and developing a squad he refers to Layer 1 and Layer 2 signings and the fluctuation between

Post #376908  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:50 am 

Pete on the beach wrote:
hi all

sorry its a month late, as ive had an incredibly busy period this past few weeks. here is the montage i did as a tribute to Bernard, that i presented to his family at the memorial at the Orange tree in Totteridge last month.

As DHD gave in his account at the time, it was a lovely gathering including Hester (True Gooner) and Gaz (B/wood) from this parish (or formerly) and several other Arsenal fans including Kev Whitcher (former Gooner Editor) and Nigel Phillips (president of AST)

RIP the great man

Great photos, Pete - it was brilliant that you could get to the memorial. And there were doubters, but Bernard really did have magnificent hair.

Post #376909  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:32 am 

Pete on the beach wrote:
hi all

RIP the great man

Thanks Pete - nice photos.

I wasn't at that 101 gathering but it's good to see the faces once again. I saw Darren (pink shirt) recently. Any news of Exiled, anyone?

Post #376910  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:33 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:
hi all

RIP the great man

Great photos, Pete - it was brilliant that you could get to the memorial. And there were doubters, but Bernard really did have magnificent hair.

....."devastatingly marvellous hair" actually McQ - well, according to him anyway.

Post #376911  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:35 am 

While I'm here, 'top tip' for the day:

Don't put your recently acquired iPhone Pro Max on the roof of your car. Just don't.

Post #376912  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:45 am 

DHD wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

....."devastatingly marvellous hair" actually McQ - well, according to him anyway.

I was afraid of misquoting the legend himself, DHD, but I went ahead and posted, anyway. Thanks for the correction...

Post #376913  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:05 pm 

10 year old Mark Noble was on trial at Arsenal but his dad insisted he was West Ham.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/QDWFa7Px8Uw

Post #376914  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:29 pm 

Saka deal supposedly very close for £200k a week

Post #376915  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:59 pm 

Apparently we can only draw a play off winner in the next round of Europa (apart from Man U if they beat Barca) all the original group winners play play off winners not other group winners in the last 16 draw.

So far the teams we could face are:
Juventus
Sporting
Sevilla

All other ties are in the balance
Barca/Man U
Leverkusen/Monaco
Union Berlin/Ajax
Rennes/Shaktar*
Roma/Salzburg*

The * means that team is leading from the first leg. All other ties are level

It seems strange that by winning your group you’re forced to draw (potentially and quite likely) a team that dropped down from the CL rather than just making it a free draw.

This is the list of teams who are seeded and won the group. You could make a decent argument that the group of play off winners will be a stron he r bunch than this lot. Apart from Sociadad I’d rather play any of those group winners than Juve, Sevilla and sporting who are already through as potential opponents.

Arsenal (ENG)
Fenerbahce (TUR)
Ferencvaros (HUN)
Feyenoord (NED)
SC Freiburg (GER)
Real Sociedad (ESP)
Real Betis (ESP)
Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL)

Of course we would start as favourites against virtually any team left in the competition

Post #376916  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:44 pm 

Saka deal will be until 2028, lots of journalists picking this up now. Still bits to finalise but it’s fantastic to tie down the future of our most important player.

Saka’s stats this year against every other player in the prem
9th for goals
2nd for assists
1st for one v ones attempted
1st for one v one won and a *%^@ taken
2nd for dribbles attempted

Right now he should be a shoe in for PFA young player of the year as a minimum

Post #376917  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:02 pm 

If Bukayo is about to sign a new deal that is the best news we have had in years. He’s been sensational this season.

Post #376918  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:03 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
hi all

RIP the great man

I’d quite forgotten that photo. A younger version of me. Poignant to see Fishbar there. Sadly and fondly missed.

Post #376919  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:08 pm 

Arsenal U18 through to the FA Youth cup semi finals winning 3-2 v Cambridge at the emirates tonight. 92nd minute winner…..learning from the first team.
A few interesting players in that group.
Nwaneri
Lewis-Skelly
Sousa
Cozier-Duberry (dubbed the next Saka)

Post #376920  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:54 pm 

Unfortunately United through.

[ 390804 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9420, 9421, 9422, 9423, 9424, 9425, 9426 ... 9771  Next