Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mcquilkie and 293 guests

Post #505721  Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:33 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The big non Arsenal question(s).

1. Will Messi demand to leave?
I'd be surprised if he can contractually, but if he 'goes on strike', Barca may have no choice if they can't convince (beg, threaten) him to stay. So, will Messi eventually 'calm down' and stay as it was frustration or will he force a transfer?
2. If Messi leaves, where will he go?
What are the likely clubs?
Juve: It won't happen but wouldn't be a marketing coup if they could persuade him to be Ronaldo's teammate?
City: I have to believe Messi, like most players often wonder what its like to play in the world's most watched league. City have the resources to get him and the team to give him trophies.
PSG: A dream partnership wth Mbappe and trophies.
Bayern Munich: cough..spit..but its a tailor made situation.
Liverpool: Similar to City but they don't have City's resources but their style would suit him.
Real Madrid: Could he pull a 'Figo' ? I would imagine Barca demanding that he doesn't play in Spain if he were to leave and it being a prerequisite to any trade
LA Galaxy: Don't laugh, it could happen.
China: Hmm...not right now but I can see this happening in 2 years time.
The Arsenal: One can dream.

Beck's Inter Miami.

Post #505722  Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:44 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
The prosecution evidence was produced the day before the trial. I don't know much about the Greek justice system, perhaps you do. I don't see how you can call it an atrocious decision or a kangaroo court Ash, I'm presuming you don't know any more than me or anybody else. We'll see what happens with the appeal as the defence will have all the time they need.

According to the BBCthe defence saw the charges and evidence a few hours before the trial began.

Most of the reports I’ve subsequently seen say the afternoon before the trial, conviction and sentencing. So what 16hours if no one sleeps? Not ideal, or actually fair one might say.

Post #505723  Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:13 pm 

Ash wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
According to the BBCthe defence saw the charges and evidence a few hours before the trial began.

Most of the reports I’ve subsequently seen say the afternoon before the trial, conviction and sentencing. So what 16hours if no one sleeps? Not ideal, or actually fair one might say.

Nullified. Makes sense really.

https://www.skysports.com/share/12057203

Post #505724  Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:12 pm 

There were reports that Gabriel had his medical last week, as well as early this week. If he did take and pass it, wonder why there’s been no confirmation of the signing on Arsenal.com? After all, it’s gone 9.00 pm Wednesday in the UK so it won’t be confirmed tonight.

There have been reports that terms have also been agreed. I’m not prepared to suggest they couldn’t have been yet. But if they have and the medical has been taken and passed, why is there still nothing on Arsenal.com confirming the signing?

Post #505725  Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:24 pm 

Ash wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Really want us to sign a midfielder soon. Not long until the season starts now, and with Ceballos gone, and both Torreira and Guendozi rumoured to be leaving we might be looking at Xhaka as the only senior midfielder who's staying at the club long term. You'd assume anyone coming in would benefit from having a training session or two with the team before playing a game.

Apart from Partey and Aouer which seem to be respectively off or unlikely, haven’t seen any strong links for midfielders, all a bit threadbare and tight for time. Looking like Elneny might be a bit more involved than anyone, apart from him perhaps, had hoped!

If Elneny is starting games for us this season then that is awful transfer window management.
Feels like we'd be stupid not to get Ceballos back on loan.
We really need to push the button on some of these sales, Guendouzi, Sokratis, Holding, AMN, Chambers, Mustafi, Torreira, Kolasinac, Lacazette have all been heavily linked with moves away. Highly unlikely that they all get sold but there is easily £150m worth of sales there and not all of them would need replacing.

Even if we have to take a bit of a hit on the sale price in order to get them gone and get our target in it could be the difference in actual points in the league because we'll be 4 league games in before the transfer window closes

Post #505726  Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ash wrote:

Apart from Partey and Aouer which seem to be respectively off or unlikely, haven’t seen any strong links for midfielders, all a bit threadbare and tight for time. Looking like Elneny might be a bit more involved than anyone, apart from him perhaps, had hoped!

If Elneny is starting games for us this season then that is awful transfer window management.
We really need to push the button on some of these sales, Guendouzi, Sokratis, Holding, AMN, Chambers, Mustafi, Torreira, Kolasinac, Lacazette have all been heavily linked with moves away. Highly unlikely that they all get sold but there is easily £150m worth of sales there and not all of them would need replacing.

Even if we have to take a bit of a hit on the sale price in order to get them gone and get our target in it could be the difference in actual points in the league because we'll be 4 league games in before the transfer window closes

Hi Rich.

The problem we have is that other sides know we are keen to offload and as such they would be silly to offer top dollar straight away. The longer they wait the more likely it is we will drop the price, unless of course we can get a bidding war going.

Post #505727  Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:00 pm 

Gabriel (if it goes through) and Willian are a good start but the truth is that if we want to hit the ground running next season we need our midfield recruits in asap. We are lacking in pace, power and creativity in that area.

Post #505728  Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:41 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:
There would have been weeks if not months before that jury trial, the Australian system is based on the British for obvious reasons. I’m not sure what your Olympiacos comment is? Bit presumptuous we’ll be in the CL but ok, good luck with that.

I suspect (but may be wrong) that he meant Man Utd drawing them and hence Maguire having to return to Greece.

Exactly

Post #505729  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 am 

Gabriel arrives Monday. Still no announcement its a done deal. :icon_question1:
Until its done, it isn't done.
Looks like Arteta is willing to roll the dice and get rid of a lot of quality players just so he can get the right players. It will be a thin squad if that's how it is. There is a risk but I get it.

Post #505730  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:04 am 

They must be putting Gabriel thru a pretty big medical- he’s been in there for about 3 days depending on which story you read.

Post #505731  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:36 am 

Don't think there's been a delay with the medical, just the announcement. Because Arsenal still suck at PR.

Post #505732  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:04 am 

Ash wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
They would have the right to call evidence and cross examine I feel sure. Just because the prosecution was quick means nothing. I once saw an attempted murder or alternatively GBH with intent to do GBH jury trial take less than 3 hours in Cairns in Australia. There is nothing to suggest abuse of process unless you know more than we do. I hope draw Olympicos next year in the CL.

There would have been weeks if not months before that jury trial, the Australian system is based on the British for obvious reasons. I’m not sure what your Olympiacos comment is? Bit presumptuous we’ll be in the CL but ok, good luck with that.

Let me not mislead you. There would have been months between the arrest, the committal from the Magistrates Court to the ultimate trial in the Supreme Court. But as long as both sides are agreed there is no need to waste court time which seems to be part of the system in the UK. The judges often kkeep questions relevant to the case and don't allow side issues.

Post #505733  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:06 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Don't think there's been a delay with the medical, just the announcement. Because Arsenal still suck at PR.

What do you think is happening with Aubameyang. Is he waiting to see what signings are made.

Post #505734  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 am 

Hazuki wrote:

Fabrizio Romano - very reliable - has said the medical is all done and the signing is all done - so it is just down to when Arsenal want to make the announcement.

Desperately need some central midfielders in

Post #505735  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:39 am 

Chilwell signs for Chelsea for £50m, the production line of huge sales at Leicester is fantastic. I saw an article that talked about it and compared it to clubs like West Ham and even Everton in my opinion. Some of these clubs see the idea of selling your best players as unambitious which is nonsense. A team like Leicester simply can't keep these players when the biggest clubs come calling - of course there is the exception most notably when we tried to sign Vardy, but by and large players at Leicester would want to play for the clubs challenging at the top and in europe every season, not to mention the huge hike in wages they get. So the smart clubs sell those players when they are their absolute peak and reinvest in the team. Who would you rather have in your team now Kante or Ndidi? Not necessarily an easy choice. Soyuncu or Maguire? Not that much difference in my view.
I see Everton are being linked with James Rodriguez, really not the sort of signing they should be making. They're making the same mistakes they've made before.

I would include Arsenal in this equation as well, albeit I would like to think we would strive to operate on a higher level than the clubs mentioned above but we can't be arrogant to think that we don't need to sell players when they're at their peak. My view is that the stubbornness of not selling our stars is one of the biggest reasons we're in the mess we are, foregoing the best part of £100m on Sanchez and Ramsey

Post #505736  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:52 am 

That £50m fee is something though. That's half of what we reportedly paid for Tierney - who is a year younger, and in my opinion a better player, but with a slightly worse injury record.

Then again, Chelsea once again seem to be in a position where they don't even have to think about how much they pay so...

Post #505737  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:34 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Ash wrote:

Let me not mislead you. There would have been months between the arrest, the committal from the Magistrates Court to the ultimate trial in the Supreme Court. But as long as both sides are agreed there is no need to waste court time which seems to be part of the system in the UK. The judges often kkeep questions relevant to the case and don't allow side issues.

Right, so nothing like the case in point. Please bear in mind there were 6 complainants - all police, 3 defendants and multiple charges across two locations. Even an Australian court with it’s super judges, never wasting a second or allowing a single side issue, would be hard pressed to wade though all of that in weeks, let alone one afternoon. And now there’s a retrial anyway which I suspect the court knew all along and just performed this perfunctory charade to move it along. But yes, as you were, let Harry Maguire rot in Jail after his manhunt and extradition...

Post #505738  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:56 am 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Fabrizio Romano - very reliable - has said the medical is all done and the signing is all done - so it is just down to when Arsenal want to make the announcement.

Truly the longest medical in history. I wish they'd taken as long over Francis (glass ankles) Jeffers.

Post #505739  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:03 am 

Rich wrote:

Partey rumours seems to have been squashed as well. I get that money is an issue this summer, but it would be nice to have some solid rumours about incoming players, not just departures.

Post #505740  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:32 am 

Yep if we don’t bring in new midfielders it’s more of the same next year.

Can’t see us signing Partey, 50 million quid and wants 200k a week? You wouldn’t contemplate it unless he was insanely good.

Post #505741  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:03 am 

I wonder if this is true about us and Gabriel. (If you can't trust Le10 Sport, who can you trust?) From back in February:
https://onefootball.com/en/news/arsenal ... d-29011940

Post #505742  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:26 am 

Arsenal youngster Sam Greenwood has signed for Leeds, £3m plus add ons.

Arsenal had Greenwood, Balogun and John-Jules all in the same category. The first two look likely to be sold, John-Jules will go on loan again

Post #505743  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:28 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
I wonder if this is true about us and Gabriel. (If you can't trust Le10 Sport, who can you trust?) From back in February:

If true it seems sensible that we got Mari in on loan, but then if we were going back to Gabriel why did we make Mari permanent before we concluded our chase for Gabriel this summer?
You can only assume Arteta liked what he saw of Mari and wanted both.

Post #505744  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:32 am 

All the activity in the centre of our defence is interesting, particularly new faces like Saliba and Gabriel but also those that may leave – Sokratis, Holding and Chambers.

What also intrigues me though is the future for Zech Medley, currently on loan at Gillingham. He’s 20 years old, 6’ 5” and pretty skilful from what I’ve seen. I really like the look of Zech. Then there’s that lad who scored a really good goal against M K Dons the other day, Mark McGuinness. I didn't see much else that he did but he’s a 19 year old Irish lad and another biggun at 6’ 3”; I’ve never heard of him before.

Any others?

Post #505745  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:38 am 

mcquilkie wrote:

Gosh where did you dredge that up from! Makes you question the plans for Mari for one, Gabriel seems to be the original tall left footed CB of choice.

Also you wonder are they waiting for Gabriel to stop quarantining to announce him? Or is the announcement in the back pocket for the next time some bad news rears it’s head?

Post #505746  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:45 am 

DHD wrote:
All the activity in the centre of our defence is interesting, particularly new faces like Saliba and Gabriel but also those that may leave – Sokratis, Holding and Chambers.

What also intrigues me though is the future for Zech Medley, currently on loan at Gillingham. He’s 20 years old, 6’ 5” and pretty skilful from what I’ve seen. I really like the look of Zech. Then there’s that lad who scored a really good goal against M K Dons the other day, Mark McGuinness. I didn't see much else that he did but he’s a 19 year old Irish lad and another biggun at 6’ 3”; I’ve never heard of him before.

Any others?

Ballard is another thats very highly thought of, but seems the be the unluckiest footballer going. He’s not quite as tall, I think, but another one in the probable loan to decide his future category.

Unlike say Sol Campbell or Keown who had such intensity Zech seems a relaxed, classy type of player from what I’ve seen, which is very little. I would question as a young player whether having some tenacity and devil might serve you better than being more laid back.

Post #505747  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:54 am 

So Arsenal are shuffling the pack with ‘cheap’ players, youngsters and having to offload valuable assets like Ainsley MN.

Meanwhile, and entirely in keeping with Financial Fair Play, Manchester City are looking at a simply staggering outlay to get Messi in.

We just cannot compete with that. In fact we did well to stay competitive as long as we did after Abramovich parked his tank in our front garden and fired £50 notes at us (in Dein’s words)

Post #505748  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:55 am 

Rich wrote:
Ash wrote:

I agree on Elneny but wouldn’t put it past Arteta to get something useful out of him. As I say I literally haven’t seen any kind of link to a midfielder let alone a credible one. I mean, there’s Coutinho links tbf, but honestly... Ceballos you can only imagine RM killed that by their terms but I’ve not heard whether it was us, RM or the player who was the reason a deal wasn’t done.

Even if we get someone in before the charity Shield, there won’t be enough time to integrate them and you’ve got to think we’d be starting the season with a mixture of what’s already here, hence my Elneny comments.

Post #505749  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:14 pm 

Randomly channel surfing I came across a documentary on Garrincha. Very interesting but sad story. Born crippled, amazingly brilliant footballer anyway and illiterate when he got on the football scene. Personal demons, etc.

Post #505750  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:07 pm 

Ash wrote:
I agree on Elneny but wouldn’t put it past Arteta to get something useful out of him. As I say I literally haven’t seen any kind of link to a midfielder let alone a credible one. I mean, there’s Coutinho links tbf, but honestly... Ceballos you can only imagine RM killed that by their terms but I’ve not heard whether it was us, RM or the player who was the reason a deal wasn’t done.

Even if we get someone in before the charity Shield, there won’t be enough time to integrate them and you’ve got to think we’d be starting the season with a mixture of what’s already here, hence my Elneny comments.

An additional potential problem is quarantine maybe applying to inbound players which would lengthen the period before they could be up to speed with us.

Post #505751  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:28 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

An additional potential problem is quarantine maybe applying to inbound players which would lengthen the period before they could be up to speed with us.

Quite, the only silver lining is other clubs will have the same hurdles but no one amongst our immediate rivals has as glaring a hole as our midfield right now since we lost Ceballos. Chelsea are going to get Thiago Silva in under the wire for their defence although GK is a mess. Utd, Liverpool, Wolves Leicester etc have reasonably balanced squads if not all amazing.

Buying Uk based players is the only work around for any quarantine issues, but I’m not sure many exist beyond players like Grealish who are out of our price range. Out of anybody’s range it seems. And not even in the england squad! Did Doucouré go to Everton? None of our youngsters are central enough (barring Guendouzi) to fill in really effectively either. Arteta must be sweating a bit.

Post #505752  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:59 pm 

Had Wenger not been petty, we'd have Fabregas 'quarterbacking' the attack now. But the past is the past.

Post #505753  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
So Arsenal are shuffling the pack with ‘cheap’ players, youngsters and having to offload valuable assets like Ainsley MN.

With Stan as the owner, was anyone expecting anything different? We might as well get used to it for the foreseeable future, as it’s the Kroenke way.

Post #505754  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:44 pm 

Interesting comments today from Arteta

Looks like the Gabriel transfer maybe far from done, his agent was the agent of Malcolm who strung along roma waiting for a better offer until Barca came in and stole the deal.

The comment Arteta made about Guendouzi strikes me as a translation of “look this guy is a complete d******* and will demand too much from any move so I can see us not be able to flog him in which case we will have to use the silly prick until someone naive enough comes along”

Post #505755  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Interesting comments today from Arteta

Looks like the Gabriel transfer maybe far from done, his agent was the agent of Malcolm who strung along roma waiting for a better offer until Barca came in and stole the deal.

The comment Arteta made about Guendouzi strikes me as a translation of “look this guy is a complete d******* and will demand too much from any move so I can see us not be able to flog him in which case we will have to use the silly prick until someone naive enough comes along”

Gabriel still having his medical is he :14laughter:

Post #505756  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:25 pm 

Chelsea sign Malang Sarr on a free......and loan him out. Of course they do. Easy money.

Post #505757  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:30 pm 

Doucoré not yet signed for Everton but most likely destination. If we can’t get someone else soon we should hijack that deal pronto. Ceballos signing doesn’t look completely dead either from Arteta’s comments,

“We had some talks. Dani knows really well what I think about him. He was pretty clear with me as well that his intention was to remain with us.

“Obviously, Real Madrid is involved there and I don’t know yet what they want to do with the player.

“He is a player we are interested in because we really saw in the last few months of the season what he is capable of bringing to us.”

Hope for our midfield yet.

Post #505758  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:10 pm 

Ash wrote:
Doucoré not yet signed for Everton but most likely destination. If we can’t get someone else soon we should hijack that deal pronto. Ceballos signing doesn’t look completely dead either from Arteta’s comments,

“We had some talks. Dani knows really well what I think about him. He was pretty clear with me as well that his intention was to remain with us.

“Obviously, Real Madrid is involved there and I don’t know yet what they want to do with the player.

“He is a player we are interested in because we really saw in the last few months of the season what he is capable of bringing to us.”

Hope for our midfield yet.

Ash. I agree. I think Doucore is a very good player who could be even better in our set up. I saw him (on TV) have a blinder at Anfield ....
Although it looks like he’s out the door I’d still rather keep AMN but I’m all in with Mikel. Let’s hope his grand rebuilding plan (probably a 2/3 year project) works.

Post #505759  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:00 pm 

Probably not getting Ceballos either.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 85602/amp/

Post #505760  Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:03 pm 

Zed wrote:
Probably not getting Ceballos either.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 85602/amp/

[Edit: Just saw Ash's post, so no Ceballos].

[ 562427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12641, 12642, 12643, 12644, 12645, 12646, 12647 ... 14061  Next