Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 278 guests

Post #471961  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 pm 

Northern Ref wrote:
Nobody wants to have to ref two southern clubs but Watford isn't London so we don't need VAR to show Mike got that one spot-on.

What are you talking about. There appear to be a number of incidents?

Post #471962  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:05 pm 

You can see why other fans find our problems so funny because I found Chelsea losing 4-1 at Watford even more hilarious than them losing 3-0 at Home to Bournemouth

Post #471963  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Mental game at Watford. We threw it away against them, but Watford were outplayed for much of the match. Chelsea on the otherhand were outplayed from start to finish, and despite an absolute worldie from Hazard (who is totally carrying them and has been for weeks), the end scorline reflected the game pretty accurately.

Conte is toast...which is a shame as he seems a decent sort and Wenger seems to do ok against him

You mean if you are paid millions of pounds as manager and your team loses at places like Watford Bournemouth & just add names like Stoke and Swansea that u can be sacked for doing a bad job. That’s not a world Arsenal fans know exists.

Post #471964  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:29 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
lomekian wrote:
Mental game at Watford. We threw it away against them, but Watford were outplayed for much of the match. Chelsea on the otherhand were outplayed from start to finish, and despite an absolute worldie from Hazard (who is totally carrying them and has been for weeks), the end scorline reflected the game pretty accurately.

Conte is toast...which is a shame as he seems a decent sort and Wenger seems to do ok against him

You mean if you are paid millions of pounds as manager and your team loses at places like Watford Bournemouth & just add names like Stoke and Swansea that u can be sacked for doing a bad job. That’s not a world Arsenal fans know exists.

Touche!

Post #471965  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:30 pm 

lomekian wrote:

I like Conte a lot. He was a super player and brings the same energy to management. He totally transformed Chelsea last season and has clearly been undermined this season.

Post #471966  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 pm 

Nketiah scores another hat trick for the U23’s tonight. 4-0 win v Everton

Post #471967  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 pm 

I don’t really have much sympathy for Conte. So he might not have got his first choice transfer targets, not many managers do. But then he’s still been able to buy plenty of good quality players to supplement a title winning squad.

Post #471968  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Nketiah scores another hat trick for the U23’s tonight. 4-0 win v Everton

Ah. That doesn't count. "It's only Everton". :1laughter:

Post #471969  Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 pm 

Yes Zed, world series is another. When you grew up with it from birth hearing 'world champion' and 'world series', you don't think about it, you don't question it, especially if its never been challenged and you have never traveled outside America. I was in Tokyo working with Brits at the time it was pointed out. The same time I became an Arsenal fan as well and a whole new world of pain and pleasure opened up in adopting football.

Post #471970  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:12 am 

The January window has changed things to some extent. Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham look vulnerable to lose a CL spot, with Chelsea looking by far the weaker of the 3. Even though we are in 6th and the scum in 5th. We are not far away.

Surprisingly, much to omoh sitting at home with a smirk on his face, is the Arsenal attack looks...gulp...stronger sans Sanchez! Its early days and its only been a couple matches but so far so good. The NLD will tell us pretty much everything we want to know. The defense is suspect. Tottenham are playing very well in their temporary home. Right now I'd take a draw. A scoreless draw.

Post #471971  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:34 am 

John Mahoney, who played dad on Frasier, dies at 77

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-06/j ... 77/9399952

Post #471972  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:34 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Not that you reprobates give a damn..haha...but my Philadelphia Eagles just won the Super Bowl for the first time. :53big-emoticons: The Americanized 'World Champions'...haha...I recall the first time a Brit told me how it sounded. I had to agree it was pretty arrogant of a country to call themselves world champions in a sport only they played

Why you needed a 'Brit' to point this out I don't know.

I'd say it's slippery subtle way of getting across ...... " Well hell I'm damn popular with all the " Brits " I meet over here " ....... it's only the d*ckstops on Gleiber I have problems with ...?

Post #471973  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:41 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
lomekian wrote:

True but then Abramovich has more money than Kroenke and seems to genuinely want Chelski to win stuff

whereas Stan "has a sphincter puckers up tighter than a snare drum ' [ Shawshank ]

Shows how tight the pr*ck is he wont even splash out for a decent hairpeice

Post #471974  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:06 am 

kiwipete wrote:
True but then Abramovich has more money than Kroenke and seems to genuinely want Chelski to win stuff

Of course he wants them to win, he’s using Chelsea to whitewash his image and it’s of no use to him if nobody knows about the club.

Post #471975  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:48 am 

Zed wrote:
Have to say "World Series" in baseball is a bit sounds odd as well. Since the most international US baseball is, is inclusion of what, 2-3 Canadian teams then. Otherwise nothing "world" about it.

The original sponsor was a newspaper called the World hence the name. Nothing to do with geography.

Post #471976  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:56 am 

john1 wrote:
Folks, 92 year old Dad (Arsenal since just after WW2) received a scam phone call this morning from someone claiming to be from the Telephone Preference Service.
Tried to get him to give them his card details - he can't remember (or is too embarrassed to admit) if he gave them the info or not; so we've cancelled his debit card to be on the safe side.
The number that rang him is 01163040632 (a Leicester number) which is 'not in service' now.
The number they gave my Dad to call to verify their identity was 02036305457. I phoned this number and used a few words I wouldn't in polite company.
Anyway, moral of the story is to watch out for your vulnerable family members/friends.
For what it's worth, I use BT Call Protect on Dad's number, on which you can block all foreign incoming and mobiles if you so wish. You can also blacklist numbers. Unfortunately as today's situation shows, it doesn't always work as we would like; I guess there is no system that is foolproof - unless any of you esteemed guys know of one?
Thanks

I get a few of these. Last night from Belgium and today from UK. I just let them ring out and then tag them as spam. If I ever answer a call from some random asking me who I am before telling me who they are then I'll politely ask "whos calling?" If they insist on trying to identify me first then it's usually spam. Just hang up. If it's not spam then whoever is legitimately calling will find other ways to contact (sms, email, etc). If they do claim to be someone (e.g the local Telco) then call them back but not on the number they give, find a legit one on the company website. Other method is to answer but say nothing. Lots of these spam outfits are mass dialing numbers and it's only when you speak that they'll connect you with one of their scamsters..

I've even had legitimate Telco callers (TPG) pushing hard sales tactics "sign up or you'll be cut off" type *%^@. Telstra was recently publicly humiliated for asking for customer details to confirm identity on outbound calls they were making.

Sadly there is no failsafe technology for security and also why those pricks target people as the weakest link to breaching passwords, erc.

Post #471977  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:57 am 

Zed wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Why you needed a 'Brit' to point this out I don't know.

Have to say "World Series" in baseball is a bit sounds odd as well. Since the most international US baseball is, is inclusion of what, 2-3 Canadian teams then. Otherwise nothing "world" about it.

What to expect when even the president is categorised as 'leader of the free world'

Post #471978  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:30 am 

socrates wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
The proof is always when we are playing at Swansea/Stoke /Bournemouth/Man u and whether he digs deep or just gives a no care display. Then I will judge whether he is a good buy.

You were probably bigging up Chamakh, Chambers, Holding, and numerous others after a couple of games but....

Mika was great but there were a few occasions when he went down rolling in agony and needing treatment after fairly run-of-the-mill challenges. You have to wonder how he will cope physically, especially away from home.

Hopefully, he will be like Pires and his talent will outweigh the fact he's a bit lightweight physically.

Surprising given that he'd be towering over most of today's squad. Remember the old man mentioning it a few times.....off the bus comes...Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira, Henry,....

And when the team had a bit of bottle...

https://youtu.be/GQRIaEWzmUo

Post #471979  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:32 am 

warrior wrote:
John Mahoney, who played dad on Frasier, dies at 77

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-06/j ... 77/9399952

Loved that character. Did anybody see Mahoney's performance in the series In Treatment? Riveting. Apparently born in the same village as Ricky Tomlinson.

Post #471980  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:51 am 

Hazuki wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Of course he wants them to win, he’s using Chelsea to whitewash his image and it’s of no use to him if nobody knows about the club.

If you are right it's a shame Kroenke isn't as interested in whitewashing his image.

Post #471981  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:55 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

If you are right it's a shame Kroenke isn't as interested in whitewashing his image.

Nah Kroenke is more interested in whitewashing rare animal species.

Post #471982  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:08 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
john1 wrote:
Folks, 92 year old Dad (Arsenal since just after WW2) received a scam phone call this morning from someone claiming to be from the Telephone Preference Service.
Tried to get him to give them his card details - he can't remember (or is too embarrassed to admit) if he gave them the info or not; so we've cancelled his debit card to be on the safe side.
The number that rang him is 01163040632 (a Leicester number) which is 'not in service' now.
The number they gave my Dad to call to verify their identity was 02036305457. I phoned this number and used a few words I wouldn't in polite company.
Anyway, moral of the story is to watch out for your vulnerable family members/friends.
For what it's worth, I use BT Call Protect on Dad's number, on which you can block all foreign incoming and mobiles if you so wish. You can also blacklist numbers. Unfortunately as today's situation shows, it doesn't always work as we would like; I guess there is no system that is foolproof - unless any of you esteemed guys know of one?
Thanks

I get a few of these. Last night from Belgium and today from UK. I just let them ring out and then tag them as spam. If I ever answer a call from some random asking me who I am before telling me who they are then I'll politely ask "whos calling?" If they insist on trying to identify me first then it's usually spam. Just hang up. If it's not spam then whoever is legitimately calling will find other ways to contact (sms, email, etc). If they do claim to be someone (e.g the local Telco) then call them back but not on the number they give, find a legit one on the company website. Other method is to answer but say nothing. Lots of these spam outfits are mass dialing numbers and it's only when you speak that they'll connect you with one of their scamsters..

I've even had legitimate Telco callers (TPG) pushing hard sales tactics "sign up or you'll be cut off" type *%^@. Telstra was recently publicly humiliated for asking for customer details to confirm identity on outbound calls they were making.

Sadly there is no failsafe technology for security and also why those pricks target people as the weakest link to breaching passwords, erc.

I try and tell my Dad to do just those things, but his personality is such that he is very trusting. He also gets confused quite easily, which actually seems to increase his naivety. Not his fault though; it's purely down to the scum making the calls.
Trouble is, the law is increasingly geared in favour of those looking to make money; you can block buy numbers in the UK and use them even though you're phoning from abroad. Consumer protection seems to be given airtime but no real ooomph behind it, at least here in the UK.

Post #471983  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:06 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Zed wrote:

What to expect when even the president is categorised as 'leader of the free world'

Also the world's cop...American style. I'll give you conflicting instructions, tell you to stop resisting as you defend yourself from my pummeling and you know what happens next. :7laughter:

Post #471984  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
john1 wrote:
Thanks

Yeah - That number may appear as disconnected now but it's likely a relay number so it might be used again.
*Scammers use a computer system to make calls to dial thru the internet - this rings a 'local' number which is merely a local phone used as an exit point to get onto the phone system.

Scammers can spoof the number they are calling from - and can even appear to be a local number.
I used to get a few calls here and there and just used to mess with them on the phone to waste their time.

I got bored with it in the end so I just bought a Telstra Call Guardian Phone. Not sure if there is a UK equivalent but there likely is. The phone uses a call filtering system which asks callers who they are if they are from an unknown number. Known numbers from friends ring straight thru.

As many of these scammers use a robocaller - (an automated means of dialing a mass of numbers in one go), they merely wait until someone answers and says 'Hello'. Then the scammer takes over from the robocaller and then starts the scam.

With the Call Guardian, it won't even make the phone ring while it's working after someone rings. They need to say what they are calling about first - then I can decide if I want to answer it or not.

Since I got it a year ago, I have had zero scam calls. Every now and then I check it and see what numbers it has blocked then I Google them to see what scams I am missing out on.

If you no longer want scam calls, get a Call Guardian style phone. Problem 100 % solved.

Edit - Not to be confused with the UK Call Guardian service - the phone I am describing is a purchased stand alone cordless phone answering machine with the base supporting up to 6 phones.

Edit 2 - This is what it is called in the UK - BT8500 or BT8600

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Enhance ... B00LZTHUK8

Post #471985  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:04 pm 

warrior wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Yeah - That number may appear as disconnected now but it's likely a relay number so it might be used again.
*Scammers use a computer system to make calls to dial thru the internet - this rings a 'local' number which is merely a local phone used as an exit point to get onto the phone system.

Scammers can spoof the number they are calling from - and can even appear to be a local number.
I used to get a few calls here and there and just used to mess with them on the phone to waste their time.

I got bored with it in the end so I just bought a Telstra Call Guardian Phone. Not sure if there is a UK equivalent but there likely is. The phone uses a call filtering system which asks callers who they are if they are from an unknown number. Known numbers from friends ring straight thru.

As many of these scammers use a robocaller - (an automated means of dialing a mass of numbers in one go), they merely wait until someone answers and says 'Hello'. Then the scammer takes over from the robocaller and then starts the scam.

With the Call Guardian, it won't even make the phone ring while it's working after someone rings. They need to say what they are calling about first - then I can decide if I want to answer it or not.

Since I got it a year ago, I have had zero scam calls. Every now and then I check it and see what numbers it has blocked then I Google them to see what scams I am missing out on.

If you no longer want scam calls, get a Call Guardian style phone. Problem 100 % solved.

Edit - Not to be confused with the UK Call Guardian service - the phone I am describing is a purchased stand alone cordless phone answering machine with the base supporting up to 6 phones.

Thanks for that Rog - I'll take a look into it.

Post #471986  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:26 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Originally of course the massive investment to get immediate success and profile was an assassination insurance policy.

Post #471987  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:07 pm 

warrior wrote:

Useful stuff Rog. There is a simpler way though.

As you say, automatic calling system call countless numbers but they only make the connection if the call is answered. If I don't recognise a number, or if it's labelled 'Out of Area', I pick up the phone but don't speak for a few seconds. If there's nobody on the line, it's a spoof call so I hang up.

Either that or your mate's just wasted his final breath.

Post #471988  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:17 pm 

I’ve used the UK Call Guardian system for ages. It does the job perfectly. All time wasters disappeared instantly. No more annoying phone ringing from these people either.

Post #471989  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Chelsea really could implode for the rest of the season. All is not happy in the camp. 1-0 down and down to 10 men away toWatford fresh off the back of losing 3-0 at home to Bournemouth
Yes it will be a test of their team spirit. Say what we like about The Gunners but they often pull together and recover after reversals. Can Chavs do the same? Cahill, so often reliable, was at sea in both the recent defeats. He is important to them.

Post #471990  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I’ve used the UK Call Guardian system for ages. It does the job perfectly. All time wasters disappeared instantly. No more annoying phone ringing from these people either.

Thanks for that - I'll have a look.

Post #471991  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:13 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Say what we like about The Gunners but they often pull together and recover after reversals.

Utter piffle.

You really do just make this *%^@ up as you go along.

(Chelsea managed to recover to a title last season, historically we have allowed a setback to derail us for many games and cost us titles).

Post #471992  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:31 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
john1 wrote:
Tried to get him to give them his card details -

I get a few of these. Last night from Belgium and today from UK. I just let them ring out and then tag them as spam. If I ever answer a call from some random asking me who I am before telling me who they are then I'll politely ask "whos calling?" .

I get a ton of these as well ...... ring ring " Hi my name is such and such , how are you today , we are offering ........"RACK OFF"

Post #471993  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Also the world's cop...American style. I'll give you conflicting instructions, tell you to stop resisting as you defend yourself from my pummeling and you know what happens next. :7laughter:

:53big-emoticons: One of your best ...well done

Post #471994  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:56 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Zed wrote:

The original sponsor was a newspaper called the World hence the name. Nothing to do with geography.

Struck out with that one ........http://roadsidephotos.sabr.org/baseball/name.htm

Post #471995  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:06 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Might want to rethink that one ........http://roadsidephotos.sabr.org/baseball/name.htm

Interesting. AL or American League, NL or National League. League Champions makes better sense than using 'World' Series.

Post #471996  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 pm 

The Spurs game is live on SBS in Oz on Saturday night.

Post #471997  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:21 pm 

Have a feeling there are going to be a lot of goals in the NLD. 5 or more. We'll see. If we can come away with a draw I'll be happy.

Post #471998  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 pm 

Zed wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Might want to rethink that one ........http://roadsidephotos.sabr.org/baseball/name.htm

Interesting. AL or American League, NL or National League. League Champions makes better sense than using 'World' Series.

You'd think so Zed ........ but you're not part of the greatest nation on earth .

Good honest down home heart on the sleeve type Americans there are truckloads .... but America lives on gush , high fives in all directions at the drop of a hat

Their programmes Barn Finds , Car Make Overs that sort of thing are ruined by over the top slop .

Post #471999  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:21 am 

DHD wrote:
warrior wrote:

Useful stuff Rog. There is a simpler way though.

As you say, automatic calling system call countless numbers but they only make the connection if the call is answered. If I don't recognise a number, or if it's labelled 'Out of Area', I pick up the phone but don't speak for a few seconds. If there's nobody on the line, it's a spoof call so I hang up.

Either that or your mate's just wasted his final breath.

Ahhh - but here is where these phones really shine.

You won't hear the phone ring - at all. So, no disturbance to what you are doing.

It's like a secretary that only puts the call thru if they can identify themselves - or, if they are a friend whose number is already stored in the phones memory.

So, once a week or so, I have a look at the phone and notice it has loads of missed calls on it (all scammers). Yet, we never heard the phone ring ;-)

Post #472000  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 am 

It's a pity the Spurs game is not three weeks away give the new boys time to jell but call me the ultimate in seaweeds but my optimism has returned .

I like the cut of the jib of both Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan , Özil resigning , Wilshere looking the business Ramsay reborn ... there is really no reason for Bellerin and Monreal to bomb forward , there is a decent centre half hiding inside Holdings body .

Spurs are playing nice football but I honestly think we will win . We have a habit of p*ssing on their parade .

Aubameyang has had disciplinary problems ...all the better shows he is a loose cannon , bit of fire in his belly .

Seen with two hookers 2 am at the West End night before then scores two at Wembley .

[ 560837 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11797, 11798, 11799, 11800, 11801, 11802, 11803 ... 14021  Next