Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 408 guests

Post #487961  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:24 am 

Daz wrote:
John wrote:
Carrot cruncher when you went all veggie

No it was definitely Abu who was the carrot cruncher not me. Is it because he’s a ginger?

Yep, I'm the Ginger Avenger and you'd better look out...

Post #487962  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:44 am 

Bored wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
We fired our osteopath and travel manager! For some reason that made
me laugh and reminded me of the time when that vigilante group in Portsmouth found the home address of a paediatrician and smashed his windows.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44533207

It sounds like a Carlsberg advert. "If Carlsberg did a back room clear out..." camera cuts to a bewildered Osteopath and Travel Manager waiting at a bus stop outside Arsenal stadium surrounded by a full size skeleton, fold up massage table, and piles of travel magazines etc.....

Haha basically a sketch from the Office.

Does a travel manager get to sit on the bench with the coaching team? It’s basically some geezer with a British airways exec club card.

Post #487963  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:19 pm 

Babu III wrote:
Rich wrote:
Wolves have signed Rio Patricio the sporting and Portugal gk after he bought himself out of his sporting contract. There are a few sporting players doing this, arsenal meant to be looking at Gelson Martins he winger. Wouldn’t be a free transfer because the buying clubs usually give a hefty signing on fee to the player which is the same amount as he bought his contract out for.

Could be an interesting precedent going forward. Player on £200k per week with 2 years left on a deal wants out, club want £60m he can buy himself out for £20m. Maybe I’ve misunderstood it, let me know if you think it works differently

The Sporting players are leaving the Club because the Ultras attacked them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRf6lZQWhkw

Inflamed by their Trump-like club president ...

Post #487964  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 pm 

best time for England to play poorly and still grab the points. Thought the entire front line, apart from the first 15 mins, were *%^@. Sterling crap, young gave ball away constantly and then followed up with a foul, Lindgard 4 howling misses to my count, Kane - 2 goals but largely anonymous, alli looked like he'd never played with Kane before.

Cheek looked good and think Welbeck should replace Sterling.

Japan beating Columbia and Senegal over Poland great to watch and both deserved it. Overall a very entertaining World Cup so far and expecting even better for round 2.

Post #487965  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 pm 

There hasn't been any 0-0 draws yet in the World Cup.

Feel sorry for Morocco. Played well but just cannot win a match.

Post #487966  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:54 pm 

Lets be honest, England played well for 15-20 minutes against a poor Tunisian side leaving huge gaps at the back - should have been 3 up at least. Once the Tunisian's tightened up a bit in the second half the game turned into a drab affair with a lack of invention on either side. Africa's highest ranked side can count themselves unlucky with their inability to defend a corner. Nice finish by Kane though with the head.

England definitely should have got 1 or 2 penalties though via VAR.

I expect an easy win for England in the next game with Pickford smoking a Panama cigar in goal.

Having said that, most of the sides have been utter garbage with the exception of Spain who played brilliantly against Portugal but came up against an inspired Ronaldo. Oh and Mexico deserve a plaudit or two for their win over ze germans.

The tournament is clearly suffering from the loss of the Irish side (and maybe Italy and Holland).

Just back from a few weeks in the States....fantastic, wish I was back already.

Post #487967  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Rich wrote:
Saw this on twitter, all these players have gone in the last 12 months.
Sczcesny, debuchy, Gibbs, Gabriel, per, coq, Cazorla, Walcott, Wilshere, Sanchez, Giroud.

So much for the British (and homegrown) core....

The good thing is there's a new core - Iwobi, Bellerin, Holding, Chambers, Ramsey, Welbeck, AMN and Nelson.

Post #487968  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:39 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
I like the Senegal team, and the way they play. I wish Arsenal would play like that. Fast, strong, purposeful, driven. They pass the ball forward from player to player with one-two touches. Well deserved win against Poland.

Glad to see Japan beating Colombia. Although I don't think they will get through to the next round. They will be physically out muscled by the Senegalese, and bombarded by the Poles.

Senegal's physical prowess was impressive - Poland was outmuscled. Mexico outrunning Germany was impressive too.

Post #487969  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:47 pm 

For me, Wilshere leaving is a bit like when Merson left. Merse got one season under Wenger though.

Post #487970  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:47 pm 

Niall wrote:
Lets be honest

Yes if ever there were a go-to guy for an honest and impartial assessment on this matter your name would be top of the list.

More importantly what do you make of the Patrol? I have to admit to quite liking it.

Post #487971  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:52 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Thought the entire front line, apart from the first 15 mins, were *%^@.

Take it back, Niall, I forgot about Mr Nuance over there...hopefully he'll get really angry about something soon and start boycotting it.

Post #487972  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:37 pm 

Daz wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
To be fair I love Sergio Ramos. A great player. Unlike Jordan Henderson - an average and uninspiring player.

Blocked and reported to AG.

Yes well I deserve that for my blatant trolling. Good luck in getting your message through to AG though - maybe you could borrow Hodd's computer.

Post #487973  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:41 pm 

Spain labouring can only imagine the contempt if they were Ingurlish.

Post #487974  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:42 pm 

Iran parking their entire fleet of buses vs Spain. And time wasting at every opportunity. They want to be careful they don't upset Ramos with these tactics, god knows what might happen.

Post #487975  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:09 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Iran parking their entire fleet of buses vs Spain. And time wasting at every opportunity. They want to be careful they don't upset Ramos with these tactics, god knows what might happen.

Game’s crying out for Jordan Henderson

Post #487976  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:16 pm 

Come on, Iran, you’re going out somebody get Ramos. Do it for world peace.

Post #487977  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:26 pm 

*%^@ VAR

Post #487978  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:30 pm 

Daz wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Game’s crying out for Jordan Henderson

That's not a phrase you hear very often.

Edit: if it's actually a phrase. I'm not sure. Daz?

Post #487979  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

Feel sorry for Morocco. Played well but just cannot win a match.

True .... what a slippery sleazy bunch of w***nks the Portuguese are ..... some of their carrying - ons

Ronaldo awful dive in the box then has the balls to want the video ref involved

Pépé collapsed like he'd been hit by a large meteor when a Morrocan patted him on the back . I'd be ashamed if any Kiwi acted like that

Post #487980  Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:38 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Sorry to see Jack go.

Wenger destroyed him by continually over playing him when he was in the red zone and created a perpetual series of injuries that reduced his ability.

#merci Arsene

I'm not .... as a fresh faced young kid I thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread .

My view would be Wenger cocked up his career by sending him out on loan so often ; early on when he showed such great potential .

If he'd stayed in his own environment he'd have bloomed .

Think on it for a minute ....... shovelled off to the frozen tundra at Bolton , where they don't even speak English at eighteen to make a fresh start couldn't have been much fun .

Then on that fresh face he grew a stubby beard , got a dozen tattoos , went on to held the ball far too long , running up cul de sacs and was for ever collapsing in a big heap when tackled , moaning and gesticulating with a face like a twisted sandshoe .

Gloriously happy to see him f*** off ..... bad management not to get a fee for him though .

Post #487981  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:39 am 

1-0 to the Arsenal, is in fashion at this World Cup. The goals are drying up.

Post #487982  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:26 am 

Goonie wrote:
lomekian wrote:

So much for the British (and homegrown) core....

The good thing is there's a new core - Iwobi, Bellerin, Holding, Chambers, Ramsey, Welbeck, AMN and Nelson.

I hope we sell Özil. I think he is a stronger negative influence on this core than Alexis was. Alexis was a nuisance to the favourites of our former manager, thus was labelled as such. But he showed so much drive and bravery in his game, that Özil lacks. That's my opinion though. I prefer a team that plays with higher intensity than the art of tiki-taka. Tiki taka was beautiful to watch, provided it yields results. Arsenal's tiki-take under the former manager was toothless beauty. Imagine admiring the beauties on parade in a pageant, and when they smile, they are toothless. Would you still call it a beauty pageant? Thankfully, and hopefully, it is water under the bridge. Please make the team go faster Emery!

Post #487983  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:50 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I hope we sell Özil. I think he is a stronger negative influence on this core than Alexis was. Alexis was a nuisance to the favourites of our former manager, thus was labelled as such. But he showed so much drive and bravery in his game, that Özil lacks. That's my opinion though. I prefer a team that plays with higher intensity than the art of tiki-taka. Tiki taka was beautiful to watch, provided it yields results. Arsenal's tiki-take under the former manager was toothless beauty. Imagine admiring the beauties on parade in a pageant, and when they smile, they are toothless. Would you still call it a beauty pageant? Thankfully, and hopefully, it is water under the bridge. Please make the team go faster Emery!

I think Banega getting linked to us may be indicative to either Ramsey or Özil leaving. This would be unfortunate

Tika taka is Great to watch but I was watching Spain the another night and their players like Iniesta, Isco and busquets are absolute masters in the art of quick distribution of the football. There’s not many of them about and if you haven’t got players of that quality the approach surely wouldn’t work.

Post #487984  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:
I'd be ashamed if any Kiwi acted like that

Attachments:

Post #487985  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:32 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I think Banega getting linked to us may be indicative to either Ramsey or Özil leaving. This would be unfortunate

Tika taka is Great to watch but I was watching Spain the another night and their players like Iniesta, Isco and busquets are absolute masters in the art of quick distribution of the football. There’s not many of them about and if you haven’t got players of that quality the approach surely wouldn’t work.

And even they couldn't pass it through the massed fleet of parked busses last night. They mixed it up a bit more at the beginning of the second half, with some nice width and the odd diagonal ball towards Costa. Hence there was a bit more room for Iniesta to thread that pass.

What a pity Iran didn't throw a few more players forward in the last 15 minutes. The Spanish defence looked ready to crack, especially in the air.

Post #487986  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:58 am 

Think of it this way. Iran beat Portugal, Spain draw or beat Morrocco & Ronaldo goes home. Would laugh until I felt sick.

Post #487987  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:21 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Think of it this way. Iran beat Portugal, Spain draw or beat Morrocco & Ronaldo goes home. Would laugh until I felt sick.

It's very hard work not to be drawn into the 'omg, gosh Christiano' hype so I really do hope that Iran do the business to spare me the effort. I fear that if this continues the corks will really come out and the gushing will be overwhelming.

Post #487988  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 am 

Daz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
Thought the entire front line, apart from the first 15 mins, were *%^@.

Take it back, Niall, I forgot about Mr Nuance over there...hopefully he'll get really angry about something soon and start boycotting it.

Lol. You'll be happy to know that the boycott is now over and I'll be gracing the forum with my unique, nuanced presence again. Who knows, I might drop you a PM or 2 if you're lucky. :laughing7:

Post #487989  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am 

gooner7 wrote:
I hope we sell Özil.
Arsenal's tiki-take under the former manager was toothless beauty.

I don't think there was anything beautiful about Arsenal's possession game under Wenger, toothless or not. The keeper rolls it out to a centre half. He gives it to the nearest full back who gives it back to him. He then gives it to the other centre half who gives it to the other full back who is nearest him. That full back gives it back to the keeper and the routine starts again, maybe with the variation of the keeper giving it to a full back or the other centre half.

Look, when the midfielders get the ball there is plenty of sideways passes or passing back. But I don't think Özil can be blamed as the main cause for our possession football being so boring, which if you want him sold I presume you do. His assist stats suggest he is more likely to pass it purposefully forward than many.

Also, selling Özil could be dangerous for another reason. Getting rid of him six months after signing a contract extension could give the next big player we have approaching the end of his contract, or at least his agent, doubts whether Arsenal's contract offer is to keep him longer-term as a player or to avoid losing him on a Bosman. Selling Özil for a hefty transfer fee now will surely cost him a lot of what he could have got as a signing on fee had he joined whoever on a free transfer. Can Arsenal risk that in future negotiations with players nearing the end of their contracts? I doubt it.

Post #487990  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:39 am 

Daz wrote:
*%^@ VAR

I think this is a really interesting point actually.

I quite like the fact that VAR is getting contentious decisions right and I can see its benefits. How boring.

This is hypothetical, but LETS SAY its the final game of the season, we're at The Lane needing 3 points to win the league. Its 1-1, its 90 mins on the clock, and we score that goal that Iran scored against Spain. Mass frenzy, only for it to be chalked off by VAR for the most marginal of offsides that the naked eye couldn't spot. What does that do to the psyche of the average fan, who's just gone spazz about winning the league at white hart lane and now has to come down from that to be denied winning the league at white hart lane? I'm not sure I could cope.

Could I be magnanimous and accept that fair's fair, the right decision has been made, well done everyone else, hard cheese for us? I expect I would be bitter as a bitch and probably give it some "Fergie wouldn't have won *%^@ with VAR". But how does VAR affect the fans in the stadium? Can you celebrate any more when you score or do you now have to wait for VAR? What's the ettiquette here if you've scored, celebrated, had to wait for VAR, and do you then celebrate again if its ok? But its not as good right, the second time?

The salutory lesson from yesterday was that VAR now makes celebrating a goal a pretty fraught experience.

Post #487991  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:47 am 

grantyboy wrote:
best time for England to play poorly and still grab the points. Thought the entire front line, apart from the first 15 mins, were *%^@. Sterling crap, young gave ball away constantly and then followed up with a foul, Lindgard 4 howling misses to my count, Kane - 2 goals but largely anonymous, alli looked like he'd never played with Kane before.

Cheek looked good and think Welbeck should replace Sterling.

Japan beating Columbia and Senegal over Poland great to watch and both deserved it. Overall a very entertaining World Cup so far and expecting even better for round 2.

"Kane - 2 goals but largely anonymous". I hope he's as anonymous as that in every match we play in this tournament.

Post #487992  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:04 pm 

Per Mertesacker departs

Arsenal have released 33-year old German defender Per Mertesacker from the club.
He becomes player number 6 to leave the club this season.

Post #487993  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:05 pm 

Bernard - did you get my PM ?

Post #487994  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:11 pm 

warrior wrote:

Yes thanks.

Post #487995  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:43 pm 

Bernard wrote:
warrior wrote:

Yes thanks.

ahh ok - so, was that a yes or no ?

The reason I ask is, we are 95% done fixing the quote problem.

All I need to do is rename the old, faulty 'Bernard' account which is causing the quotation error, then create a new account for you called Bernard. I just want to make sure you will be able to log back in again.

All you'll need to do is log in after I switch it and then it'll be fixed for good.

Lemme know if that's ok to do. You can PM me whatever password you'd like or just email me if you have a problem.

I can make it the same pw I did before, and you can just change it as you wish.

Post #487996  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 pm 

Denmark vs Australia game. Not a penalty. Schmeichel playing headgames with the pk taker is funny.

Post #487997  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:09 pm 

The referee's ex wife must be Danish.

Post #487998  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:12 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

It's very hard work not to be drawn into the 'omg, gosh Christiano' hype so I really do hope that Iran do the business to spare me the effort. I fear that if this continues the corks will really come out and the gushing will be overwhelming.

I think he's great and the World Cup would be much poorer without him. Proper showman, total cock, absolutely brilliant player.

Post #487999  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:13 pm 

warrior wrote:
All I need to do is rename the old, faulty 'Bernard' account

Forum competition time.

I suggest "Battenburg".

Post #488000  Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:17 pm 

Pompey Gooner wrote:
The salutory lesson from yesterday was that VAR now makes celebrating a goal a pretty fraught experience.

That's my main problem with it - sucks the fun and spontaneity from the game. Oddly the reverse happens with cricket where reviews make it more exciting (realise I have just offered a massive hostage to fortune for the world-classers I can see lurking).

I just think it should only be for very specific things and not offsides. I really don't mind a few marginal mistakes when it comes to offsides. I do mind unjust red cards or blatant penalties or acts of violence not called.

Anything that results in Sergio Ramos suffering would be great fair or unfair.

In the Australia France game I STILL can't make up my mind if it was a pen having seen all the replays!

[ 572013 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12197, 12198, 12199, 12200, 12201, 12202, 12203 ... 14301  Next