Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie, warrior and 268 guests

Post #509481  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:15 pm 

Jesus didn’t score today but was instrumental in both goals. We often talk about a big target man to unlock a deep block defence but Jesus does it the other way with his touch, intelligence and interplay in the box.

Post #509482  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:17 pm 

Nice to win first and now sit back and watch two or more of Newcastle, Man U, Man City and Spurs to drop points.

We can do the same midweek kicking off the day before all the other big teams

Post #509483  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:48 pm 

I forgot that Tomiyasu will be away at the Asia cup during January. Timber won’t be back until the spring at best and needs to be handled carefully anyway. Feels like another defender in January would be very useful!

Post #509484  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:53 pm 

Gary O’Neill complaining that the ref didn’t give us any yellow cards for time wasting saying that he’s sure his Wolves team would have got the yellows for doing a similar thing.

Now, Arteta was slammed for basically saying a decision was wrong - O’Neill has questioned the impartiality of an official. One did it angrily and one did it calmly - I’d be interested to understand which the PGMOL is worse, criticism of a decision or suggesting a ref is bias?

Post #509485  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:04 pm 

Properly stevie bould at the stadium today. Great result but I thought we played like idiots in the second half with some of our players behaving like it was a kick about.

Ødegaard looked like he’s back to his best. Tomiyasu looks undroppable right now I hope his injury isn’t serious as he’s going to give Ben white a problem getting back in the side.

Post #509486  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:08 pm 

The award for the most pointless VAR check off all time had to be Sakas goal. So obviously a goal and in no way offside as the player ran into the box with the ball at his feet.

You can see the ref waiting for something then it comes up on the screen it’s being checked and everyone in the ground groans because they know it’s a goal. Utterly stupid and what obvious error happened. VAR is exposing the stupidity of the refs

Post #509487  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:56 pm 

Wasn’t impressed by Nketiahs cameo.

All of a sudden without Jesus on the pitch they were on us with Eddie running around pretending to look busy and getting outfought and outpaced by players who had played 70 minutes more than him. Then to top it off he misses a bonafide guilt edged sitter. Honestly mate that’s the only reason you are in the Side.

We are crying out for another striker but I think the only player likely to arrive is defensive cover where we look light.

Post #509488  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:12 pm 

Newcastle are battering Man U, the trouble is I’ve seen these Man U games before - they somehow snatch it 1-0…

Newcastle just sharper, faster to every second ball, winning all the duels, pressing high and forcing Man U to kick long and they just easily pick it up and come back at them. Maguire to be fair to him is holding it together at the back for Man U

Post #509489  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:22 pm 

Gordon gives Newcastle a deserved lead. Keep going like this and he’ll be on the plane to the euros, feels like there is a spot up for grabs on the left of England’s front 3 because Kane and Saka have the other two spots sewn up

Post #509490  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:27 pm 

Weak gutless referee allowing Man U to get away with incidents that would be a card for most other teams.

Post #509491  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:48 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRBMO6KaqS4

Post #509492  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:02 pm 

Two things annoy me about that game .
First Zinchenko seems determined to show the world he is a little intricate clever clogs and it is beneath him to resort to a common run of the mill &^**** HOOF when hard pressed near our goal .

Second we went into a semi automatic cruise mode when 2 - 0 ; plenty of keep ball shagging around ........... they score and our attitude changes completely .
I ALMOST wanted them to score another so it would highlight the stupidity of our approach

Post #509493  Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:05 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
First Zinchenko seems determined to show the world he is a little intricate clever clogs and it is beneath him to resort to a common run of the mill &^**** HOOF when hard pressed near our goal .

Second we went into a semi automatic cruise mode when 2 - 0 ; plenty of keep ball shagging around ........... they score and our attitude changes completely .
I ALMOST wanted them to score another so it would highlight the stupidity of our approach

Ball shagging. Yeah Im going to use that one and pretend it’s my own

Generally agree. Really we should have smashed them but oh well top of the league and time to sip the wine

Post #509494  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:42 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Generally agree. Really we should have smashed them but oh well top of the league and time to sip the wine

:laughing7: Probably should have punctuated it a little better ..... plenty of keep ball ; eg ..... shagging around

Sure nothing wrong with adopting the glass half full routine top of the league sip the wine and enjoy it

........ BUT to my way of thinking if we aspire to really challenge Man City and be the best in Europe etc etc it is a mistake to switch on the auto pilot when only 2 -0 up .

We should be more ruthless , that sense of urgency we displayed after conceding the goal should be there for the whole game .

Imagine if they have grabbed another which wasn't too far fetched considering the panic that started to infect the team . 60,000 imploring the ref to blow the final whistle .

Squeaky bum should never been an issue in that match .

Post #509495  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:03 am 

I wanted Man Utd to draw or lose. So, happy about that. Before the game they were on a 3 game winning streak and along with Villa was the only club to win 4 of their last 5 matches.

Not expecting much out of Fulham against Liverpool. Would like to see a draw in the City game but if one team has to win I'd prefer it to be Tottenham...cough...spit. Don't know their finances but if Tottenham makes a strategic buy (or two) in January, I'll be a bit more worried. Didn't see their present place in the table coming after they lose Kane. They've bought well in midfield.

Anyway, if City wins, I'll pretty much count Tottenham out of threatening us or City and its a race for 3rd or 4th after that. Liverpool may have a say about things as well.

Post #509496  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:41 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

:laughing7: Probably should have punctuated it a little better ..... plenty of keep ball ; eg ..... shagging around

Sure nothing wrong with adopting the glass half full routine top of the league sip the wine and enjoy it

........ BUT to my way of thinking if we aspire to really challenge Man City and be the best in Europe etc etc it is a mistake to switch on the auto pilot when only 2 -0 up .

We should be more ruthless , that sense of urgency we displayed after conceding the goal should be there for the whole game .

Imagine if they have grabbed another which wasn't too far fetched considering the panic that started to infect the team . 60,000 imploring the ref to blow the final whistle .

Squeaky bum should never been an issue in that match .

:58big-emoticons: :58big-emoticons:

Post #509497  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:42 am 

Decaf wrote:
Jesus' work has been brilliant.

You going all bible bashing on us.

Post #509498  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:34 am 

I’ll maintain Man U’s position in the league is hugely flattering to them. They’ve squeaked past lower table sides and been consistently beaten well by the better sides. They’ve won a couple of games late that they didn’t deserve - it wasn’t like they were dominating and hammering on the door. They’ve faced the 3rd most shots at their goal in the entire league! They’ve only scored 16 goals in 13 games and have a negative goal difference. The only game they have been comfortable in and genuinely deserved is the 3-0 away win at Everton. I don’t think injured players coming back helps them that much, Casemiro’s legs have gone, Malacia isn’t better than Shaw, Mount is a meh player at Man U, Eriksen can’t hack the pace anymore and I think Martinez gets found out without proper defensive cover. Despite another £200m dropped in the last window I think they are as further away than ever, there is no balance or plan to their squad building, they’re still signing players like Reguillon on loan, Amrabat (was he top of their defensive mid scouting list!?) and Jonny Evans back at the club.

They are a hilarious mess and I’m loving every minute, as should any Arsenal fan who had to suffer through 98-04 trying to compete against them

Post #509499  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:02 am 

Saka has started 12 of our 13 league games this season and he has a goal or assist in 10 of them.

Post #509500  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:58 am 

Rich wrote:
Jesus didn’t score today but was instrumental in both goals. We often talk about a big target man to unlock a deep block defence but Jesus does it the other way with his touch, intelligence and interplay in the box.

He was able to find a bit of space early on and then Wolves were trying to get back into the game and were a bit open, so I'm not 100% convinced that his effectiveness against a low block has been vindicated.

One thing I liked about our performance is the way we continued to show intent to attack quickly after we went 2-0 up. Our front 5 could clearly smell blood. It looked like a different side to the stodgy, hesitant team that nearly foundered against Brentford.

Post #509501  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:21 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

He was able to find a bit of space early on and then Wolves were trying to get back into the game and were a bit open, so I'm not 100% convinced that his effectiveness against a low block has been vindicated.

One thing I liked about our performance is the way we continued to show intent to attack quickly after we went 2-0 up. Our front 5 could clearly smell blood. It looked like a different side to the stodgy, hesitant team that nearly foundered against Brentford.

With better finishes - as we saw v Lens - we would have been well out of sight. Our xG was 3.5 ish and we only scored 2

Nketiah missing the late chance was frustrating because he’s not really showing enough from these 15-20 minute sub appearances. There’s a strong chance Arteta would want him to start a couple of the next 7 games we have during December but he still doesn’t fully trust him and you can see why.

Post #509502  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:27 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Wasn’t impressed by Nketiahs cameo.

All of a sudden without Jesus on the pitch they were on us with Eddie running around pretending to look busy and getting outfought and outpaced by players who had played 70 minutes more than him. Then to top it off he misses a bonafide guilt edged sitter. Honestly mate that’s the only reason you are in the Side.

We are crying out for another striker but I think the only player likely to arrive is defensive cover where we look light.

Nketiah is not a team player.
I was aghast when he did not press Wolves as hard as he should have.
And there was one counter attacking moment (it was 1-2 and panic time for us) when I saw all 9 outfield players busting their gut to get back into a defensive shape. I looked and looked and waited for Nketiah to appear on screen, but he only appeared after many seconds had lapsed.
And that moment when his shot hit the post, I was disappointed he stood still to wallow in his misery than to quickly get back into the game.
Unfortunately, Nketiah just isn't the guy to count on.

Post #509503  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:36 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Yup, Zinny started to get careless as the match progressed. What to do, Arteta's pet :42laughter:

Post #509504  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:40 am 

On a positive note, we are Top of the League!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:21encouragement:

Post #509505  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:00 pm 

No matter how well you’re doing there is always a need to freshen up the squad. Standing still is going backwards and all that.
Whether it happens in January or more likely the summer we have a set of players who look like they’ll move on and be used to raise money. Ramsdale, Tierney, Tavares, Cédric, Elneny, Lokonga, Jorginho (but I’d get him a new deal) Partey? Smith-Rowe?, Nketiah, Nelson

So next year you’d be looking at, a back up gk, defender, 2 CM, a winger and a striker.

Post #509506  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:08 pm 

Arsenal v Liverpool FA Cup 3rd round

Post #509507  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:31 pm 

We are clearly the biggest game for the 3rd round. We'll also be playing Liverpool each month, December, January and February.

I recall when I started getting into football see small clubs in the lower leagues, 3rd tier, or lower of football, cheer when they drew Arsenal, Man Utd or Liverpool especially away. I soon learned for most of them, they'll not only be on nationwide television but its going to be the highlight of their football life. They can tell their children, boys at the local pub the time they had to mark Henry or had to battle Keane. Even greater, you scored. Yes, your club got hammered for 5, 6 or 7 goals but the scoreline ready 7-1 and that goal came wehn you got in a screamer past Seaman. And for the club, the payout is a much needed windfall. And for the supporters, possibly the biggest game of their lives, going to Anfield, Highbury (Yeah, I know), Old Trafford.

The closest we have in America to it is 'March Madness' the university basketball tournament. You are from a small university in an unknown conference somewhere in Montana or Maine or whatever and you draw a top 5 ranked Notre Dame, UCLA, or Michigan.

Post #509508  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:52 pm 

I think Arteta has to go full strength for that Liverpool FA Cup tie. We finally get a home draw and its Liverpool!

Post #509509  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:25 pm 

The game prior is away to Fulham on the December 31st and the game after is on January 20th home to Palace. We won't be leaving the city, no out of town traveling. Yeah, we should go full strength.

Liverpool are home to Newcastle on January 2nd then us on the 6th. Newcastle will be a tough game for them or should be.

Fingers crossed.

Post #509510  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:30 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
On a positive note, we are Top of the League!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we still have the lowest number of goals conceded, after Liverpool immediately concede an equaliser to Fulham :laughing7: :laughing7: while everyone is still gasping about how wonderful Trent's strike was

Post #509511  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
I’ll maintain Man U’s position in the league is hugely flattering to them. They’ve squeaked past lower table sides and been consistently beaten well by the better sides. They’ve won a couple of games late that they didn’t deserve - it wasn’t like they were dominating and hammering on the door. They’ve faced the 3rd most shots at their goal in the entire league! They’ve only scored 16 goals in 13 games and have a negative goal difference. The only game they have been comfortable in and genuinely deserved is the 3-0 away win at Everton. I don’t think injured players coming back helps them that much, Casemiro’s legs have gone, Malacia isn’t better than Shaw, Mount is a meh player at Man U, Eriksen can’t hack the pace anymore and I think Martinez gets found out without proper defensive cover. Despite another £200m dropped in the last window I think they are as further away than ever, there is no balance or plan to their squad building, they’re still signing players like Reguillon on loan, Amrabat (was he top of their defensive mid scouting list!?) and Jonny Evans back at the club.

They are a hilarious mess and I’m loving every minute, as should any Arsenal fan who had to suffer through 98-04 trying to compete against them

They are very lucky to be 7th I'd agree. Last evening they were shambolic. No fight. No organisation and several players look like they have given up.

Post #509512  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:26 pm 

Good end to end football in the Liverpool v Fulham game. Hang on Fulham.

Post #509513  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:50 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Good end to end football in the Liverpool v Fulham game. Hang on Fulham.

They just scored again. Fulham winning now - Nice ....

Post #509514  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:56 pm 

Darn - Pool just evened it up.

Ahh - and now they are winning 4 - 3 !!! :22cry:

Post #509515  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:10 pm 

A draw for Aston Villa. Yay !

Post #509516  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:12 pm 

So happy we held on yesterday and really shouldn't have been in that position at all.
Zinchenko really pisses me off with these brain farms, just *%^@*** clear the ball.
Not the first time he has cost us a goal this season.
Wasn't the other one when Fulham made it 2 2?
Delighted we are still top.
Luton will be tricky but we need to take all 3 points.

Post #509517  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:15 pm 

Didn't even realise the 3rd round draw was today.
Isn't it usually on a Monday.
Get a what's app from my Mare and its *%^@*** Liverpool.
Just sods law. Get a home draw and bloody Liverpool.
Need a good cup run this season.
Arteta has to go full strength I think and knock the scousers out.
At least its at home

Post #509518  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:38 pm 

Spurs one up now.

Oooh - Nice 'n even now. Yes that's the way ...

Darn - City scored now ....

Post #509519  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:01 pm 

Whenever I watch City v Spurs virtually every season I see City make disastrous errors to gift spurs goals and chances - the likes of which I’ve never seen them make v us or in hardly any other game.

Post #509520  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:02 pm 

Haaland has missed a sitter and Doku has hit the bar. And at the other end City seem intent on gifting Spurs chances as well.

Can’t see this ending 1-1

[ 514348 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12735, 12736, 12737, 12738, 12739, 12740, 12741 ... 12859  Next