Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 273 guests

Post #497361  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:50 am 

gooner7 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
That’s a really annoying habit that modern players have. Commit a foul and then raise hands in complete innocence.

Just as annoying are the theatrics from slightly fouled player

Post #497362  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Do I think all English people are revolting all the time? No of course I don’t. The huge majority of my friends and all of my family are English. But do I find the idea of England winning this competition abhorrent. Absolutely yes. If it happens, I would genuinely hate it. Do I think the English are bad losers? Yes, most definitely. Having said that, I’ve never lived in any other country when they’ve won the World Cup or European National Cup. So I accept other countries could be as bad as I have little or no experience of the media including newspapers, television channels and radio stations elsewhere.

But not having that wider experience enables me to be fearful of England winning this tournament. I know what the reaction of all those media outlets will be because I’ve seen what happens when England have won big games in earlier rounds. Make no mistake, I genuinely hate the idea that England will win this competition. I am being completely genuine when saying that. If you think I’m not being serious and indulging in a charade when saying that, then you’re hopelessly wrong.

It’s a good joke Bernard but it’s only funny once.

It’s not a joke. Do you honestly think I would really be pleased if England win this tournament? Because if you do, you are hopelessly wrong.

Post #497363  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:30 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It’s a good joke Bernard but it’s only funny once.

It’s not a joke. Do you honestly think I would really be pleased if England win this tournament? Because if you do, you are hopelessly wrong.

That’s all fine it’s just the fake loathing of British people “I’m germany” Clayton bigsby type stuff whilst living here. I mean come on.

So to quote Dave POWWWWWW WU TANG ! I see you.

Post #497364  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:31 pm 

warrior wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Just as annoying are the theatrics from slightly fouled player

I'm just guessing, but are you an Australian forum member? Who reckons soccer will never get anywhere in this country because we've got real men here, playing fair f*&$ing dinkum rugby league, not these diving, cheating &*^#%^#?

Post #497365  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:37 pm 

tomc wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Do I think all English people are revolting all the time? No of course I don’t. The huge majority of my friends and all of my family are English. But do I find the idea of England winning this competition abhorrent. Absolutely yes. If it happens, I would genuinely hate it. Do I think the English are bad losers? Yes, most definitely. Having said that, I’ve never lived in any other country when they’ve won the World Cup or European National Cup. So I accept other countries could be as bad as I have little or no experience of the media including newspapers, television channels and radio stations elsewhere.

But not having that wider experience enables me to be fearful of England winning this tournament. I know what the reaction of all those media outlets will be because I’ve seen what happens when England have won big games in earlier rounds. Make no mistake, I genuinely hate the idea that England will win this competition. I am being completely genuine when saying that. If you think I’m not being serious and indulging in a charade when saying that, then you’re hopelessly wrong.

Jurgen Klinsmann was a pundit on the BBC and was very gracious in defeat last night, even though by his own admission, he is "a bad loser". Everyone is a bad loser. Show me a supporter from any nation who enjoys losing. Last night was brilliant, and I really hope we can go on to win this tournament, if for no other reason than to make you thoroughly miserable.

This makes sense.

I was in Berlin for a game and when England scored a late winner the bloke 2 seats down from me had his head cut open and was covered in blood from a bottle thrown from the German home fans. There’s bad losers in all. I would say our fans are slightly less gracious for certain geo political reasons (think Brexit, island nation, war) but not much worse.

I’m pretty sure many of the forumites have similar tales of playing away in Europe when the natives were restless.

Post #497366  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

That’s all fine it’s just the fake loathing of British people “I’m germany” Clayton bigsby type stuff whilst living here. I mean come on.

Its fair to disagree with Bernard's position, but you are entirely in the wrong and gratuitously insulting when you claim it is a fake one. You can't read his mind, and Bernard's position is not psychologically implausible. In fact, it is entirely understandable.

You are starting another pointless and unwinnable argument again.

Post #497367  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:59 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I would hope I’ve explained that. My family are all English, the big majority of my friends are English, and I’m English myself. What I thought I’d explained is the behaviour of media outlets when the English win that puts me right off the thought of them winning a tournament. I wouldn’t have thought it was too difficult to understand.

Post #497368  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:07 pm 

Decaf wrote:

Perhaps it’s something he does to occupy his time?

Post #497369  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:17 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I would hope I’ve explained that. My family are all English, the big majority of my friends are English, and I’m English myself. What I thought I’d explained is the behaviour of media outlets when the English win that puts me right off the thought of them winning a tournament. I wouldn’t have thought it was too difficult to understand.

Well it is.

Fake self loathing to get attention.

Post #497370  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:22 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Its fair to disagree with Bernard's position, but you are entirely in the wrong and gratuitously insulting when you claim it is a fake one. You can't read his mind, and Bernard's position is not psychologically implausible. In fact, it is entirely understandable.

It’s not an argument. Just wanted to point out this ridiculous charade every time there’s an international competition . If you believe he’s genuinely revolted by the behaviour of British people I don’t know what to say. It’s an old joke.

You know what happened this morning in Britain after that monumental win last night ? Nothing

Everyone got up and went to work to pay their mortgages

Post #497371  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

It’s not an argument. Just wanted to point out this ridiculous charade every time there’s an international competition . If you believe he’s genuinely revolted by the behaviour of British people I don’t know what to say. It’s an old joke.

You know what happened this morning in Britain after that monumental win last night ? Nothing

What I believe, and what my prejudices are, is beside this point. The point is that in this case, you are making a strong claim which essentially baseless.

And of course you are starting an argument. Walk up to any large bloke in a pub and proclaim loudly that what he is saying is 'fake', and see what ensues.

Finally, what most people in England did today is beside the point. As you have conceded, a sufficient subset of any national population is t^%@sh. For example, I have also been bottled by an over-enthusiastic fan (in my case during the 1995 rugby World Cup by a Polish lout whose motive remain unclear) ... so it is hard to know why you find the stated aversion of the likes of Bernard, McQuilkie, and myself implausible.

Post #497372  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:39 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

What I believe, and what my prejudices are, is beside this point. The point is that in this case, you are making a strong claim which essentially baseless.

And of course you are starting an argument. Walk up to any large bloke in a pub and proclaim loudly that what he is saying is 'fake', and see what ensues.

Finally, what most people in England did today is beside the point. As you have conceded, a sufficient subset of any national population is t^%@sh. For example, I have also been bottled by an over-enthusiastic fan (in my case during the 1995 rugby World Cup by a Polish lout whose motive remain unclear) ... so it is hard to know why you find the stated aversion of the likes of Bernard, McQuilkie, and myself implausible.

Firstly it’s not offensive as Bernard WANTS to talk about it because if an Englishman is saying he wants to go on holiday to get away from “revolting English people” he’s absolutely hoping for a response. It’s courting attention.

Secondly you’re comment on getting bottled is irrelevant as the suggestion and equivalent here is in the aftermath of last nights game the “revolting” English people would be continuing to bottle each other over the coming days so you would be forced to go on holiday !

I acknowledge it’s largely unprovable and all that but every once in a while you can’t help say oh *%^@ off that’s just complete bollocks. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Enough from me on this

Post #497373  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:51 pm 

Revolting scenes on the champs Elysees. Many Frenchmen were forced to on holiday to avoid this stuff at the time :laughing7:

https://youtu.be/J2f6TqAYdSQ

Post #497374  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard, I think it's ridiculous to suggest that your long-established loathing of England national teams is a charade. No-one could accuse you of being a fake. Just out of interest, though, have you analysed how obnoxious other countries are when they win? If Germany had won the Euros, would they have been genial and magnanimous and compassionate in victory? History indicates they would, of course.

No I haven’t. As I say, maybe other countries are just as bad. But even though I’ve been to all the European countries that have won the World Cup or European Nations Cup, it wasn’t when they won them.

Perhaps you were being a little (or a lot) sarcastic when saying the Germans would be genial, magnanimous and compassionate if they’d won it. I actually don’t think it’s impossible they would. A reason for me thinking that is the Bayern chat rooms I look at (translatable to English). When they win the Champions League or Bundesliga, to a man (covering both genders) the Germans always show a lot of humility. They give credit to the opposition they’ve defeated.

The ones I find obnoxiously cocky are the non-German Bayern fans who turn my (and the German Bayern fans) stomach, who are commonly asked to modify their behaviour on the forum. I accept it’s easy to be compassionate in victory. But that’s a characteristic the non-German Bayern fans fail dismally to show.

Aren’t you a non-German Bayern fan?

Does that rope you in with all those obnoxiously cocky fans, or do the German Bayern fans regard you as a special case? :laughing7:

Post #497375  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:54 pm 

Tavarees deal agreed, Lokonga very close. Combined fees for the pair are 25 million euros. Both 21 provide competition and squad depth. The right profiles we should be signing.

Interestingly there are reports that Juve are no longer leading the chase for Locatelli. Juve wanted a cash plus player deal and his club want a straight 40 million euro deal - which aparently Arsenal and Dortmund are willing to pay

Post #497376  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:55 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
No I haven’t. As I say, maybe other countries are just as bad. But even though I’ve been to all the European countries that have won the World Cup or European Nations Cup, it wasn’t when they won them.

Perhaps you were being a little (or a lot) sarcastic when saying the Germans would be genial, magnanimous and compassionate if they’d won it. I actually don’t think it’s impossible they would. A reason for me thinking that is the Bayern chat rooms I look at (translatable to English). When they win the Champions League or Bundesliga, to a man (covering both genders) the Germans always show a lot of humility. They give credit to the opposition they’ve defeated.

The ones I find obnoxiously cocky are the non-German Bayern fans who turn my (and the German Bayern fans) stomach, who are commonly asked to modify their behaviour on the forum. I accept it’s easy to be compassionate in victory. But that’s a characteristic the non-German Bayern fans fail dismally to show.

Does that rope you in with all those obnoxiously cocky fans, or do the German Bayern fans regard you as a special case? :laughing7:

Good point! Actually, I was a bit of a Bayern fan as a kid back in the late 1970s, when the Bundesliga highlights were shown every Sunday lunchtime on Australian TV in a 60-minute package. Even the sight of the word 'Erdgas' would sicken me. Bernard will know what I'm talking about.

Post #497377  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:19 pm 

Aouar to Spurs. A possibility. As silly as it may be to some, don't forget Arsenal failed miserably with a bid for a deal that never got done. Not saying Spurs will necessarily succeed, but anything can happen. Maybe Arsenal should try with a new fresher approach.

Post #497378  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
Tavarees deal agreed, Lokonga very close. Combined fees for the pair are 25 million euros. Both 21 provide competition and squad depth. The right profiles we should be signing.

Interestingly there are reports that Juve are no longer leading the chase for Locatelli. Juve wanted a cash plus player deal and his club want a straight 40 million euro deal - which aparently Arsenal and Dortmund are willing to pay

Was actually surprised Lokonga wasn't done first. But looks pretty done.

Post #497379  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:31 pm 

Top Gun: I am assuming you have watched the Chappelle’s ‘Charlie Murphys Hollywood stories’?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ry2XlLKctiI

Post #497380  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:46 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Was actually surprised Lokonga wasn't done first. But looks pretty done.

Warning! Switch off the sound for the second one :8surprise: :20hospitals: :angry8: .

Post #497381  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:59 pm 

Bored wrote:
Top Gun: I am assuming you have watched the Chappelle’s ‘Charlie Murphys Hollywood stories’?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ry2XlLKctiI

Honestly I’d never seen that one and found myself chuckling to it. Thanks for sharing.

My personal favourite was when he absolutely nailed MTV cribs at the time ...

https://www.bitchute.com/video/WimLrOT1xOKC/

Post #497382  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:49 pm 

This might not be the end of this one ..

https://theathletic.com/news/arsenal-ai ... 9kPb0qzpdV

Post #497383  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

You didn’t read the newspapers then.

Post #497384  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:25 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I don’t behave in the same way as many of the non-German Bayern fans. I mean, to be honest, I don’t count myself as a Bayern fan. I’m an Arsenal who likes Bayern as my second club.

Post #497385  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Oh newspapers, all right Clayton

Post #497386  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Firstly it’s not offensive as Bernard WANTS to talk about it because if an Englishman is saying he wants to go on holiday to get away from “revolting English people” he’s absolutely hoping for a response. It’s courting attention.

Enough from me on this

I wasn’t courting attention but if I was, it’s you who did it for me with your response in post 531440. Moreover, replying to your stuff is the main reason we’re still discussing the issue. You had the choice to ignore my post, and you didn’t. Not that I was looking for attention, but isn’t it that what’s giving my thoughts on the England national team attention?

The only other people who commented on it was OMOH in a humorous manner that actually amused me, and Terry Henry who did a laughing emoji in post 531450.

Post #497387  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Oh newspapers, all right Clayton

Who’s Clayton?

Post #497388  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:10 pm 

At midnight tonight Özil will no longer be costing Arsenal money. Reports suggest we were still paying him 90% of the £350k per week he was on with us while he was at Fenerbahce (so £315k per week). That commitment ends today.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... dium=email

Post #497389  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
At midnight tonight Özil will no longer be costing Arsenal money. Reports suggest we were still paying him 90% of the £350k per week he was on with us while he was at Fenerbahce (so £315k per week). That commitment ends today.

Messi's contract with Barcelona also expires at midnight tonight. Maybe we could......

Post #497390  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:28 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Messi's contract with Barcelona also expires at midnight tonight. Maybe we could......

I’d forgotten that. Wikipedia are quick off the mark. It’s not even half past midnight and they’re already calling Messi a ‘free agent’ who most recently played for Barcelona.

Post #497391  Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:46 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Apparently AMN wasn't injured and was alright. The how's and why's of this accident will be interesting.

Post #497392  Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:03 am 

Zed wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Apparently AMN wasn't injured and was alright. The how's and why's of this accident will be interesting.

I’m going to rule out a kangaroo or emu coming out of the bush and having to swerve.

Post #497393  Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:15 am 

So Rich (ltg, omoh, soc,...) if the 3 players we are strongly associated with end up being the only ones we get and the expected players leave, how optimistic or pessimistic would you be in the upcoming season?

Post #497394  Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:58 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So Rich (ltg, omoh, soc,...) if the 3 players we are strongly associated with end up being the only ones we get and the expected players leave, how optimistic or pessimistic would you be in the upcoming season?

Personally I have no idea. Quite some time ago I developed an approach of ignoring info about players that we were supposed to be buying. I used to waste an enormous amount of emotional capital in angst and analysis about players who simply never arrived. In fact most of the players that we are linked with fail to arrive.

So I find it simpler to wait and see.

Post #497395  Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:15 am 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Personally I have no idea. Quite some time ago I developed an approach of ignoring info about players that we were supposed to be buying. I used to waste an enormous amount of emotional capital in angst and analysis about players who simply never arrived. In fact most of the players that we are linked with fail to arrive.

Good strategy. I'm still waiting for official confirmation about Hatem Trabelsi.

Post #497396  Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:33 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Good strategy. I'm still waiting for official confirmation about Hatem Trabelsi.

It’s the only sensible option. Wait until a player’s arrival (or departure) is confirmed on Arsenal.com before wondering how it’ll affect the squad. Didn’t OMOH say the other day that he once kept count of all the players we were rumoured to be interested in one transfer window and gave up after fifty? If it wasn’t him, I’m sure somebody did.

Transfer gossip is designed to sell newspapers and get internet hits far more than reporting accurately the forthcoming movement of players between clubs. Didn’t bromley call it clickbait?

Post #497397  Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:37 am 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Good strategy to keep your sanity. These 3 though in question. 1 is in the bag, another is a matter of crossing Ts and dotting the Is. Assuming these 3 are in the bag.

Post #497398  Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:22 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
As an Arsenal fan my default position is naturally pessimistic - you know three up with five minutes to go and I want a fourth to be sure. The Wenger years thawed the permafrost of the decades before, but I fear another glacial age is with us. Avoiding relegation and seeing our young guys progress is my starting point. That apart, the truth is I don't really care too much these days. Inspiring, eh?

Post #497399  Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:24 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

And never forget Tot Ali Uzelez.

Post #497400  Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:25 am 

Arsenal have offered Reiis Nelson a new contract until 2024 but would send him on loan immediately. He only has 1 year left on his current deal. He's looking at other options.

Nelson has been the most hurt by the Willian signing.
With hindsight Pépé should have had all Willian's minutes at the start of last season and Nelson play the back up to Pépé and Willian never signed. We'd have saved ourself a lot of money on Willian's contract and protected/increased Nelson's value and at least had a chance to see if he had a chance of making it with us.

The most likely outcome would seem to be Nelson moving on for a low fee this summer - I'd guess under £10m

[ 537937 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12432, 12433, 12434, 12435, 12436, 12437, 12438 ... 13449  Next