Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 292 guests

Post #508161  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:21 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
Bielik going to derby for £10m is a good sale we made of a young player. He’s a mid level championship player. If over the last 5 years we got £10m for every youngster who could perform at mid level championship level we’d be in a hugely better position right now. The trouble we’ve had is we haven’t used the loan system well enough, miles behind Chelsea in that respect, and have let contracts run down.

Hi Rich,

Bielik is an interesting one.

He's been out for a long time with a serious injury but he's still only 22 and since his return he's been man of the match in almost every game. Derby fans think he's one of the best players in the Championship and could easily start for many PL clubs. Infact, I think the likes of Villa, Wolves and some foreign clubs are already sniffing around.

Derby fans reckon he would walk into out side. OK so they may be a bit biased but the competition, bar Partey, is not great.

I think we sold him for closer to £8m but, as per usual, I suspect we have no buy-back clause or sell-on clause.

When we first got him, he immediately got my attention because he was being called the 'Polish Vieira'. Okay, a bit over the top, but at the very least, it spoke of his supposed style of play and built.

I also recall he was moved to central defense for a time. I didn't know if it was because he wasn't cutting it as a central midfielder, he found his true calling or was simply just needed there.

Post #508162  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:58 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I know football isn’t played on paper, but on paper our next three league games look very difficult: Everton away, Man City home and Chelsea home. I’d suggest 3 points from them would overall be a more than decent (arguably even very good) run of results. Then in the league we have, again on paper, an easier set of fixtures. Namely, Brighton away, West Brom away, Palace home and Newcastle home. For me, 4 points from those four games would be disappointing. I still don’t think we’ll go down but less than 7 points from those (meaning our next) seven league games could well see us in a bona fide relegation battle.
To my mind we are already in a relegation battle - just 5 points off the drop and with just 11 goals and a third of the season gone. Only Sheffield have a worse losing streak than us. We badly need to win a league game to restore some confidence.

To paraphrase Arsene coming 17th is like winning a trophy. :20hospitals:

Post #508163  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:23 pm 

Be not afraid, omoh. The Arsenal and the top flight are practically synonymous. :12hello-bye:

Looking it up, its well known MUFC were relegated in '74, the Reds in '54. The Arsenal? Never* :icon_mrgreen:

Post #508164  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:31 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Be not afraid, omoh. The Arsenal and the top flight are practically synonymous. :12hello-bye:

Looking it up, its well known MUFC were relegated in '74, the Reds in '54. The Arsenal? Never* :icon_mrgreen:

Can someone he hasn’t blocked tell him that Arsenal were relegated from the top division in 1913. Okay, a very long time ago. But it’s simply wrong to say “Never”.

Post #508165  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:08 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Never?

https://blog.woolwicharsenal.co.uk/archives/5891

Post #508166  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:07 pm 

Such irony.

Two parallel statements from the same club.

http://www.skysports.com/share/12166072

https://www.skysports.com/share/12166438

The safety and health of our players is paramount - but not, seemingly, that of their supporters.

Post #508167  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
I find watching Arsenal incredibly boring now. We have very few players who can light up a game, bar perhaps Saka, occasionally Pépé and Aubameyang with a great finish. Our play is slow and ponderous, lacking in quality, creativity and invention.

My interest may be sparked by the return of Martinelli, who may or may not hit the heights he did before, but overall I would prefer to watch paint dry than our current side.

Martinelli is due to play this evening in the U23 fixture vs Leicester.

Martinelli isn't in the U23 squad tonight, perhaps on the bench for the first team?

Wasn't there just a vote that now allows 9 subs to be named but still only 3 to be used in the prem?

Post #508168  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:58 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I know football isn’t played on paper, but on paper our next three league games look very difficult: Everton away, Man City home and Chelsea home. I’d suggest 3 points from them would overall be a more than decent (arguably even very good) run of results. Then in the league we have, again on paper, an easier set of fixtures. Namely, Brighton away, West Brom away, Palace home and Newcastle home. For me, 4 points from those four games would be disappointing. I still don’t think we’ll go down but less than 7 points from those (meaning our next) seven league games could well see us in a bona fide relegation battle.
To my mind we are already in a relegation battle - just 5 points off the drop and with just 11 goals and a third of the season gone. Only Sheffield have a worse losing streak than us. We badly need to win a league game to restore some confidence.

I think you made a good point not too long ago about Arsenal, if they are, being in a relegation battle towards the end of the season. Should it happen, Arsenal have less experience of ‘fighting for your life’ in a relegation struggle than the other clubs who are likely to be down there. I suspect you’re right; that could easily work against us.

Let me say I still don’t expect us to go down. But we have to improve to avoid that possibility and I’m not going to pretend it can’t.

Post #508169  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Martinelli is due to play this evening in the U23 fixture vs Leicester.

Martinelli isn't in the U23 squad tonight, perhaps on the bench for the first team?

Wasn't there just a vote that now allows 9 subs to be named but still only 3 to be used in the prem?

You’re right. He wasn’t there. Chambers and Balogun got our two goals. Mari and Saliba also featured.

Post #508170  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:12 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Such irony.

The safety and health of our players is paramount - but not, seemingly, that of their supporters.

The owners are kidding me. Is it not obvious the failure to originally lock down early enough cost the UK lives and any resurgence must be stamped out with strict measures.

Post #508171  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:14 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Never?

https://blog.woolwicharsenal.co.uk/archives/5891

Hey ltg,
Thanks. I am aware of that and our history, hence the asterisk and a smiley after 'Never' above.

Post #508172  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:16 pm 

Martinelli couldn't be healthy at a better time. We need a boost to the attack desperately.

Post #508173  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:19 pm 

Hmmm

Post #508174  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
To paraphrase Arsene coming 17th is like winning a trophy. :20hospitals:
If offered I'd take a 17th place finish right now! History and my head tell me I am being too pessimistic, but our long run in the top flight feels very threatened. Sheffield must surely be unrescuable, but I can see The Baggies and Burnley making a fist of it. Fulham and Brighton, who knows? Normally to avoid relegation a team has to win 9 or 10 matches and add some draws. We have won 4 so far. It could be tight.

Post #508175  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:08 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Hey ltg,
Thanks. I am aware of that and our history, hence the asterisk and a smiley after 'Never' above.
Technically speaking Arsenal have never been relegated - it was Woolwich Arsenal!

Post #508176  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:33 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Hey ltg,
Technically speaking Arsenal have never been relegated - it was Woolwich Arsenal!

Do you see the club as founded in 1919, when it was first called Arsenal? Until then it was called firstly Dial Square, then Royal Arsenal, then Woolwich Arsenal, then The Arsenal. Perhaps if Brighton go down they should drop the name Brighton and Hove Albion to become Brighton Albion. Then they will never have been relegated, or promoted for that matter. If they go down how about West Bromwich Albion (WBA) becoming West Bromwich Rovers (WBR)? You could start a trend here.

Post #508177  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:26 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Hey ltg,

That's the spirit. :icon_mrgreen:

Still no matter what, its an enviable record for being in the top flight. I wish I was around in '74 when Man Utd went down. It must have been surreal at that time, no?

Post #508178  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:55 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

I found a pretty decent page on Arsenal history here :

http://www.stevegleiber.com/history.htm

Post #508179  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:59 am 

Non football obviously and given the average age of this forum, probably not much interest, but anyone galvanised by bitcoin being near 17k GBP a coin? Something I've been interested for quite some time.

Thoughts?

Post #508180  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:32 am 

I am so used to us playing on Sunday UK time that I just realised we play tonight.will be interested in if he makes any changes

Post #508181  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:03 am 

warrior wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I found a pretty decent page on Arsenal history here :

http://www.stevegleiber.com/history.htm

an excerpt:

"...and on the 2nd day, God created The Arsenal and he saw what he had created and said it is very good."

and

"....and he told the Arsenal board. "Beware of those among you who will bring in deceivers (hat tip to Dein). You can have any owner you wish but do not bite into the American apple owner. "

"and because the Arsenal board did not listen to God, he said "You will have pain and suffering and flirt with relegation."

Post #508182  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:16 am 

I like the idea of more subs in some form or manner. American football and basketball allow unlimited subs. In basketball its not uncommon if you are up by an insurmountable lead to sub off all 5 starting players. Now, 5 is a lot less than 11. In American football we have 11 players and there are as much as half a dozen or so subs if you are up by an insurmountable lead toward the end of the game.

I like 5 subs, but it also may mean that teams will bring on 5 defensive players to protect a lead and the game will be very boring from that point on. That can be countered with the team losing bringing on 5 attacking players.

I would suggest perhaps allowing 3 subs a half. But you can't accumulate unused subs from the first half.

Lastly, and this is something I've advocated before. I'd like to codify and make the ball being kicked out for injury a rule it must then go back to the team that did it. It's a gentleman's agreement now but I'd like to see it part of the rules.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55365095

Post #508183  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:17 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Such irony.

The owners are kidding me. Is it not obvious the failure to originally lock down early enough cost the UK lives and any resurgence must be stamped out with strict measures.

Lock down does nothing but push the spread of the virus to a future date.

The more people that get it earlier the weaker the virus will get.

Getting it appears to give immunity to future stronger mutations.

Australia have been lucky to date, they too will be hit by the virus sooner lr later, don't forget it's now summer for them so less likely to spread.

What has happened to flu this year it appears to have vabiahed????,,

Post #508184  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:18 am 

I'm expecting a draw or worse today. I'd love a win obviously but remains to be seen if we can win away these days.

I don' like Everton for personal reasons. Something a fan of another club told me about the club. Yeah, I sound cryptic but so what. :icon_mrgreen:

Of late, I had a wee bit of a soft spot seeing them punch above their weight along with Wolves, Leicester and one or two others.

Post #508185  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:35 am 

I am so used to us playing on Sunday UK time that I just realised we play tonight.will be interested in if he makes any changes

Post #508186  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:40 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Yes, it pushes the spread of the virus to a future date when more people have been vaccinated, particularly the elderly and those with underlying health conditions, and thus the most vulnerable are better protected.

It's not rocket science Bubble.

Post #508187  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:42 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Australia have been lucky to date, they too will be hit by the virus sooner lr later, don't forget it's now summer for them so less likely to spread.

You are talking absolute nonsense. No luck in it - lock down to slow or almost stop it. Let’s see what happens when and if it mutates. Already there are different strains.

Post #508188  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:46 am 

bubblechris wrote:

But at a future date, a vaccine will be well underway for most people like they did for measles, mumps, rubella, etc.

Post #508189  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:15 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Christ, you've come out with plenty of nonsense in the past, primarily about Brexit, now here you go again about Covid.

Stop reading conspiracy websites.

https://fullfact.org/online/flu-pneumonia-deaths-wrong/

Post #508190  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:05 pm 

Balogun scored again last night.
We are in real danger of losing the boy if Arteta does not give him real game time even if from the bench.
Wouldn't surprise me if a few bids come in January for him and he will make someone an excellent free transfer in the summer.
Just something about him. Big strong holds the ball well and knows where the net is.
I'd much rather give game time to this boy then Lacazette who we should be looking to move on.
Balogun would be a natural replacement but the odd Europa league cameos wont be enough to keep him.
Artera has to turn on the charm offensive and show a direct route to the first team or he will be off.

Post #508191  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:10 pm 

Looks like the club are right behind Arteta.
I still am but want to see the likes of Smith Rowe Nelson and Balogun given more time and the likes of Willian and Xhaka dropped for a while.
Lose the cautiousness Mikel and get Buendia or another creative midfielder in January.
Stop playing your favourites and put more trust in the youngsters.
Need to start moving up the table.
Quietly confident about today.
Not sure why but lets hope we put in a good performance and come away with at least a point.

Post #508192  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:59 pm 

socrates wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Yes, it pushes the spread of the virus to a future date when more people have been vaccinated, particularly the elderly and those with underlying health conditions, and thus the most vulnerable are better protected.

It's not rocket science Bubble.

https://tenor.com/view/blinded-me-with- ... if-4879778

Post #508193  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:38 pm 

john1 wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Christ, you've come out with plenty of nonsense in the past, primarily about Brexit, now here you go again about Covid.

Stop reading conspiracy websites.

https://fullfact.org/online/flu-pneumonia-deaths-wrong/

Stop hiding behind an article you've plugged out of the air. My view has nothing to do with conspiracies but is based on facts and figures available to the public.

Nonsense? show me what in particular you consider nonsense.

Till then testing is up to between 300000 to 500000 a day compared to 100 - 200000 in the early days. They are counting infections only which if you accept the above figures would have increased at least 3 maybe 5 fold.

Is it the current deaths? Have you seen the figures for flu deaths?

I await a sensible response......................

Post #508194  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:46 pm 

For the rest of you who agree it pushes the infection forward and the vaccine will catch the virus, yes it will but the vaccine will not happen overnight , there are tens of millions still to do.

In the meantime thousand so small businesses are going to the wall. Thousands of homes will be repossessed and no doubt there will be hundreds of extra suicides. And still the treatment of cancers, mental issues and hundreds of other serious illnesses are not being dealt with.

42 people below 60 (I think it's 60) have died from covid 19 the rest were people who wer on there way our or seriously ill anyway. A waste of life yes but surely you'd prefer the current average age of those dying stays well over 80 rather than drops to 50/60 say?

Post #508195  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:10 pm 

Now London will be put in tier 4 and Christmas is cancelled for millions because a virus that isn't killing any more people than flu does every year has suddenly jumped to infect a lot more people. Note I said infects, not puts them in hospital.

We need to see the figures for hospital cases and deaths not infections.

Post #508196  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:36 pm 

Aubameyang not even in the squad. Tight calf
Leno, Tierney, AMN, luiz, holding, Elneny, ceballos, willian, Saka, Pépé, nketiah

Smith-rowe and martinelli on the bench

Post #508197  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:46 pm 

Holding captain.
I realise that we’re without some key players but on paper that’s as weak an arsenal team as I’ve seen for years

Post #508198  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:07 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Now London will be put in tier 4 and Christmas is cancelled for millions because a virus that isn't killing any more people than flu does every year has suddenly jumped to infect a lot more people. Note I said infects, not puts them in hospital.

We need to see the figures for hospital cases and deaths not infections.

And the ignorance continues.

UK average annual deaths from complications of flu are 8000 over the last 12 years or so. Covid deaths this year are 66500.

Post #508199  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
Aubameyang not even in the squad. Tight calf
Leno, Tierney, AMN, luiz, holding, Elneny, ceballos, willian, Saka, Pépé, nketiah

Smith-rowe and martinelli on the bench

Aubameyang not playing because of a tight calf sounds suspicious. Maybe taking a breather?

Post #508200  Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:30 pm 

Who on here was saying we don't wear our home kits away when its not in conflict with the home side? Now you have me noticing it. lol

[ 559786 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12702, 12703, 12704, 12705, 12706, 12707, 12708 ... 13995  Next