Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: john1, mcquilkie, Rich and 294 guests

Post #516161  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:09 am 

Chelsea can’t sack Poch because his pay off would potentially tip them over the threshold for FFP. Chelsea just keep delivering

Post #516162  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:46 am 

Troyes in France make a record signing of Savio a Brazilian forward, he’s immediately loaned to Girona where he does well and is then sold to Man City for the start of next year. He never once played for Troyes. Troyes and Girona are both part of the City Group. They can place signings with these feeder clubs (without a cost to Man City in accounting terms) and just cherry pick the ones that do well. The next step for Fifa and uefa is to clamp down on these multi club ownership models

Post #516163  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:12 am 

I am sorry to say but no one is beating City to the title.

Their big players are all fit again and their squad depth is insane.

De Bruyne is such a great player to have when attempting to overcome low blocks. His passing, shooting, crossing are all elite

One thing that someone remarked on is City's willingness to shoot from distance. It draws defenders and midfielders out to block and creates some space behind. We need to do more of that.

Post #516164  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:23 am 

It’s funny how after he was so bitter on Sunday mocking the celebrations that Carragher has kind of doubled down in a way. He’s keeping it in the headlines by making jokes and kind of poking fun at himself. This is done because he realised the backlash he got and he realised he was totally wrong - so he makes light of it all as if to say ‘it was a throwaway jokey comment…’ and now hopes the tables turn on those giving him stick as if to say ‘you’re over reacting’ Neville has done this with Arsenal fans plenty of times - get called out for your poor analysis and bias analysis and then make it all jokey ‘oh Arsenal fans hate me’

You see it in the media in general. Arsenal are picked on, held to different standards and it gets a reaction from the fans - then they pile in on the fan base saying they can’t take criticism. They need to face up to their original comment and defend/argue it or admit they were wrong instead of deflecting it away

Post #516165  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:26 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
And the first time they get taken apart the media will be questioning why he sacrificed the defence.

That’s also true. But the English media will take Southgate and England apart when they lose any game.
I do understand why Southgate plays a more defensive way, he’s dealing in terms of tournament football where one mistake knocks you out. It must also be difficult to establish the attacking patterns of play when you barely have much time with the players.
England have a lot of talented young players - maybe not quite as many as France - but there isn’t another Kane so this euros Southgate needs to go for it and risk losing it than be too passive and retreat not going for it at the right time.
He could put out an attack of Arsenal / Madrid / City / Arsenal / city / Bayern

I think England do have a real chance of success as the generation now appearing are of the highest quality. Not sure about Kane fitting in with the young ones. He might be the Jimmy Greaves of his generation and like 1966 another player will be the fit to win a trophy.

Post #516166  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:29 am 

Rich wrote:
It’s funny how after he was so bitter on Sunday mocking the celebrations that Carragher has kind of doubled down in a way. He’s keeping it in the headlines by making jokes and kind of poking fun at himself. This is done because he realised the backlash he got and he realised he was totally wrong - so he makes light of it all as if to say ‘it was a throwaway jokey comment…’ and now hopes the tables turn on those giving him stick as if to say ‘you’re over reacting’ Neville has done this with Arsenal fans plenty of times - get called out for your poor analysis and bias analysis and then make it all jokey ‘oh Arsenal fans hate me’

You see it in the media in general. Arsenal are picked on, held to different standards and it gets a reaction from the fans - then they pile in on the fan base saying they can’t take criticism. They need to face up to their original comment and defend/argue it or admit they were wrong instead of deflecting it away

I am with you on this issue. I would love us to rub Liverpool nose into the ground by seasons end. I can’t stand them and there sense of entitlement.

Post #516167  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 am 

https://www.football365.com/news/opinio ... -carragher

Post #516168  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:38 am 

I would find it hilarious the next time we won a big game if our players and manager made a show of being over restrained post match - rigid handshakes all round, a tip of the cap to the fans and trotting off the pitch in unified formation. No over celebrating here officer!

Post #516169  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:53 am 

Rich wrote:
Chelsea can’t sack Poch because his pay off would potentially tip them over the threshold for FFP. Chelsea just keep delivering

This is entertaining:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/05/todd-boehlys-chelsea-are-a-1bn-mess

...."Say they sold Moisés Caicedo next summer for the £100m they paid for him: yes, they would reduce costs from his amortisation and wages, but his eight-year contract means the profit would only be £100m minus his book value which, with seven of the eight years of his contract remaining would be £87.5m: that is, £12.5m."

Mudryk is on about £100k per week and he has an 8.5 year contract, so as long as he keeps his nose clean, he is guaranteed £43m. How are you going to motivate him, Todd?

Yep, gotta hand it to the yanks and their blue sky thinking approach to the business of sport.

Post #516170  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:59 am 

Rich wrote:
Rio Ferdinand on Arsenal:

"I thought Arsenal won the league the way you man was celebrating! Your manager’s doing laps [of the stadium]! Your manager has done his 10,000 steps today with them laps round the ground after they won! What’s this about? Deluded. Deluded FC."

:58big-emoticons:

I’m loving it. Carragher and Neville were both mediocre who just happened to play alongside good players. Vidic was the better of the Ferdinand partnership. They’re just so sour at seeing someone do well while they reminisce about some bygone era when they didn’t celebrate anything apparently.

This was a huge match that we largely dominated and won against one of the best in the league. Enjoy.

Post #516171  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:11 am 

DHD wrote:
Rich wrote:

This is entertaining:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/05/todd-boehlys-chelsea-are-a-1bn-mess

...."Say they sold Moisés Caicedo next summer for the £100m they paid for him: yes, they would reduce costs from his amortisation and wages, but his eight-year contract means the profit would only be £100m minus his book value which, with seven of the eight years of his contract remaining would be £87.5m: that is, £12.5m."

Mudryk is on about £100k per week and he has an 8.5 year contract, so as long as he keeps his nose clean, he is guaranteed £43m. How are you going to motivate him, Todd?

Yep, gotta hand it to the yanks and their blue sky thinking approach to the business of sport.

The way they’ve gone about it is like trading Panini stickers in the playground while smugly saying “Got it” as the other kids try to trade cards. :1laughter:

Post #516172  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:15 am 

Rich wrote:
I would find it hilarious the next time we won a big game if our players and manager made a show of being over restrained post match - rigid handshakes all round, a tip of the cap to the fans and trotting off the pitch in unified formation. No over celebrating here officer!

Not me, I’d prefer they bring out a marching band and start letting off fireworks just to rub the pundits noses in it.

Post #516173  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:19 am 

Rich wrote:
Troyes in France make a record signing of Savio a Brazilian forward, he’s immediately loaned to Girona where he does well and is then sold to Man City for the start of next year. He never once played for Troyes. Troyes and Girona are both part of the City Group. They can place signings with these feeder clubs (without a cost to Man City in accounting terms) and just cherry pick the ones that do well. The next step for Fifa and uefa is to clamp down on these multi club ownership models

All well and good but if they can’t even prosecute Man City for over a 100 breaches of FFP while Everton get smacked instantly I have very little faith.

Post #516174  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:51 am 

Rich wrote:
Listening to Neville's commentary yesterday it was a hard listen. You'd be forgiven in to thinking it was Liverpool who dominated the game and Arsenal were losing, everything was a criticism. It is like the expectation level on us is so high in comparison to every other team, Liverpool and City are seemingly given a pass to some degree because they've won the league fairly recently.

In the 86th minute Neville criticised us for in his view 'playing like its the 90th minute already'. The truth is we managed the game once we went 2-1 up perfectly. there was not a moments pressure or panic from the 67th minute onwards. We managed the last 30 minutes better than anyone could have against a Liverpool side known for late goals and late onslaughts. How about mentioning that!

One would reach this conclusion if you were a 14 year old. Neville was very complimentary of us throughout and I thought very even handed. Neville hates Liverpool and always has.

Post #516175  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:53 am 

grantyboy wrote:

I’m loving it. Carragher and Neville were both mediocre who just happened to play alongside good players. Vidic was the better of the Ferdinand partnership. They’re just so sour at seeing someone do well while they reminisce about some bygone era when they didn’t celebrate anything apparently.

This was a huge match that we largely dominated and won against one of the best in the league. Enjoy.

This is patent nonsese. Both very solid pros who'd have got into any Premeirship team.

Post #516176  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:37 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:

Not me, I’d prefer they bring out a marching band and start letting off fireworks just to rub the pundits noses in it.

Yes, or there is the doubling down option!

Post #516177  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:42 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

This is patent nonsese. Both very solid pros who'd have got into any Premeirship team.

Agreed, both top level players but they were outshone by better players within their respective very good sides, particularly Man U. Rio was absolutely top class when he played - but he's a bit of a moron at punditry. He talks like a 15 year old street kid and adds nothing of any value to the listener apart from tired cliches from his day and generally trying to make his time and himself generally feel superior to anyone else. Far too many ex players believe that because they were at the top of the game in their playing days it automatically makes them more qualified and better to speak about football in their non playing days.

At the moment you can go on line and find far better tactical analysis of any game during and after a game than anything Sky generally put out - I will admit to enjoying some of the more considered sky pieces when they haven't got a game to build up to.

The chat after the Liverpool game was ridiculous - not a word on the actual game and trying to tell us how Arsenal outfoxed Klopp with the 2 10's (exactly as we did in the FA Cup) instead just piling in to Arsenal again saying we don't have a 30 goal a season striker.

I woudl Love it, Love it if we win the thing - so many pundits will have nowhere left to hide.

Post #516178  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:05 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:
Listening to Neville's commentary yesterday it was a hard listen. You'd be forgiven in to thinking it was Liverpool who dominated the game and Arsenal were losing, everything was a criticism. It is like the expectation level on us is so high in comparison to every other team, Liverpool and City are seemingly given a pass to some degree because they've won the league fairly recently.

In the 86th minute Neville criticised us for in his view 'playing like its the 90th minute already'. The truth is we managed the game once we went 2-1 up perfectly. there was not a moments pressure or panic from the 67th minute onwards. We managed the last 30 minutes better than anyone could have against a Liverpool side known for late goals and late onslaughts. How about mentioning that!

One would reach this conclusion if you were a 14 year old. Neville was very complimentary of us throughout and I thought very even handed. Neville hates Liverpool and always has.

In the opening 15 minutes Neville was complimentary, but thereafter there was a lot of moaning considering we were generally dominating the game.

Neville ironically was very supportive of us in the later Wenger days, he didn't jump on the Arsenal bashing bandwagon - but since about Arteta's 3rd season he's consistently got most things wrong to do with us and hasn't ever admitted he was wrong. I think its fine to ay we need a 30 goal a season striker, everyone says that - but maybe offer some more objective analysis that we actually scored 88 goals last year and it was keeping them out with silly mistakes that actually cost us the title not the lack of a 30 goal a season striker.

Then look at the analysis after the game, virtually nothing on how we just dominated the most in form team in the land and second best team over the last 6 years, not just dominated but really didn't give them a sniff as the stats bore out. Surely that was far more worthy of discussion than the tired old 'yeah it was good but they still need a striker, more maturity blah blah'

Post #516179  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:27 pm 

socrates wrote:
I am sorry to say but no one is beating City to the title.

Their big players are all fit again and their squad depth is insane.

De Bruyne is such a great player to have when attempting to overcome low blocks. His passing, shooting, crossing are all elite

One thing that someone remarked on is City's willingness to shoot from distance. It draws defenders and midfielders out to block and creates some space behind. We need to do more of that.

The only thing than can slow (not stop) City is the penalty for violating FFP. City will dominate the league for years to come. The only club I think that will, in time, challenge them is Newcastle as crazy as that sounds. Newcastle have Saudi money and that is bottomless and they will spend and do whatever they feel they must to win the title. It may not come for a half dozen years but they will spend to that end.

City did the same originally. Remember the days when, first Hughes, then Mancini was the manager when they got their sugar daddy and they were buying the best player they could talk into coming? Robinho, and others, and there was no plan, just buy the best we can get.

The league as it stands is done. Best, we, Liverpool and perhaps a future resurgent Chelsea or Man Utd can do is challenge and every once in a blue moon (no pun intended), nip them ala Dortmund in the Bundesliga.

Post #516180  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:46 pm 

TV fixtures released until the end of march and we're heavily picked.
Sheff u (a)
Newcastle (h)
Brentford (h)
Chelsea (h)
City (a)

all picked for TV

Post #516181  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:13 pm 

Why didn't we buy anyone in the transfer window? Did we make any bids? I didn't follow closely enough. Or did we feel we didn't need strengthening? Who we really wanted wasn't available for whatever reason(s) and we didn't want to buy 'less'?

The question this summer for me is do we keep Havertz or not. Against Liverpool he did a few good things. He's still not confident scoring though. He should have done better one on one with the keeper for an attacking player. He's certainly not worth the 60 mil we paid for him or even close. But that doesn't mean he hasn't played decently just not good enough to warrant his fee.

End of the season, say thanks, good luck, cut our losses and get someone in or promote someone who can do better consistently.

Post #516182  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:14 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Why didn't we buy anyone in the transfer window? Did we make any bids? I didn't follow closely enough. Or did we feel we didn't need strengthening? Who we really wanted wasn't available for whatever reason(s) and we didn't want to buy 'less'?

The question this summer for me is do we keep Havertz or not. Against Liverpool he did a few good things. He's still not confident scoring though. He should have done better one on one with the keeper for an attacking player. He's certainly not worth the 60 mil we paid for him or even close. But that doesn't mean he hasn't played decently just not good enough to warrant his fee.

End of the season, say thanks, good luck, cut our losses and get someone in or promote someone who can do better consistently.

From what I read there is money to spend but we're on the edge of not complying with FFP and P&S rules - as are a lot of teams. So effectively we need to wait for the next accounting year to spend again. Or we would have had to have sold to spend.

The trend now is that due to FFP academy players are seen has a great way of generating revenue in book keeping terms because they count as pure profit when sold. If you sell an academy product for £10m, you have £10m, but you have more than that to spend for FFP rules because you could in theory sign a £50m player on a 5 year deal because in accounting terms that new player only cost £10m per year of his deal so it balances out the £10m pure profit from your academy player. Now obviously if you do lots of deals this way you continually have to find that £10m academy sale (or other sale) to offset the accounting value of the player you bought for £50m for the next 4 years of his contract as well.

This is why Chelsea are looking at selling Gallagher even though he's turned in to an important player for them this year, and why if Man U sold Rashford it would ease all their current FFP worries. Ditto us for Nketiah, Nelson and Emile Smith Rowe.

In principle the same applies to a player who has been with the club a long time so their 5 year initial deal has passed so there is no more transfer fee on that player for accounting terms. You can sell them for 'pure pure profit as well'

Post #516183  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:15 pm 

Pochettino added: “When we lost to Liverpool, it was: massive fail, oh look at Chelsea, how bad it is. [When] Liverpool lost to Arsenal, I didn’t hear anything. But it was a similar result to when we played against Liverpool.

Doesn't take a genius to work this one out Poch. Liverpool sit top of the league and it was seen as a one off defeat whilst Chelsea sit 11th and are getting their pants pulled down every single week

Post #516184  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:45 pm 

https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ ... 8639059994

If you still doubt that there are demonstrations in Dublin see the link.

Can't remeber who it was that was taking the piss because they claimed everything was hunky dory in Eire. This is just one example of the people marching against immigration.+

Post #516185  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:00 pm 

So I guess the big spenders, including ourselves, saw what happened to Everton and are now saying 'So, they are serious?'

Post #516186  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:21 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/1754533268639059994

Can't remeber who it was that was taking the piss because they claimed everything was hunky dory in Eire. This is just one example of the people marching against immigration.+

It was somebody actually from Eire claiming everything was hunky dory there Chris, rather than a wind up extreme right wing Twitter page. As in one of the members of this forum.

Oh, and I’ve just spoken to my other half’s cousin who lives in Dublin, and says these folk are “small in number, and smaller in brainpower”. Her words.

Post #516187  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:42 pm 

john1 wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

It was somebody actually from Eire claiming everything was hunky dory there Chris, rather than a wind up extreme right wing Twitter page. As in one of the members of this forum.

Oh, and I’ve just spoken to my other half’s cousin who lives in Dublin, and says these folk are “small in number, and smaller in brainpower”. Her words.

Strange Nigel Farage just reported there were 10000 people there and Herman Kelly was amongst those speaking, leader of one of the Irish parties.

There was a pro Palestine march yesterday but who knows what to believe today. Disinformation or what?

Post #516188  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:57 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

That would have been my reaction to your claim that there was carnage in Ireland which was complete and utter b%*&s%*^.

There is a group of far right anti-immigration agitators here. About a hundred of them turned up at our government buildings last year and as well as shouting at politicians they were highly abusive to regular civil servants just turning up for work and robbed a young student's phone. Oh, they also staged a couple of protests outside Cork City Library because they don't like some of the books. So ya, an enlightened bunch. How many representatives do they have in our parliament? Zero.

Post #516189  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:08 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Strange Nigel Farage just reported there were 10000 people there and Herman Kelly was amongst those speaking, leader of one of the Irish parties.

...but who knows what to believe today....

Not believing anything Nigel Farage says would seem a sensible place to start.

I hadn't heard of Hermann Kelly before so I looked him up. Apparently he got less than 1% of the vote when he stood for election in Dublin. With that level of support it's surprising he even has a Wikipedia page, though with bubblychris among his supporters it's less surprising that he too is rather obsessed with "women with penises".

Post #516190  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:22 pm 

:14laughter: :14laughter:

Post #516191  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:25 pm 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

...but who knows what to believe today....

Not believing anything Nigel Farage says would seem a sensible place to start.

I hadn't heard of Hermann Kelly before so I looked him up. Apparently he got less than 1% of the vote when he stood for election in Dublin. With that level of support it's surprising he even has a Wikipedia page, though with bubblychris among his supporters it's less surprising that he too is rather obsessed with "women with penises".

fyi I had never heard of the guy before tonight.

Your last paragh is an obcene misinterpretation of my comments about women with penises.

If you are woke and a leftie I can understand your cheap jibes. If you're not then you are extremely stupid imo. There is an unhealthy obsession amongst the transgender activists that I find absolutely disgusting and that you can make snide comments leaves no doubt in my mind that you are either ignorant or brainwashed.

My other obsession, as you'd call it, is with the grooming gangs and I feel obliged to raise this too when something comes up about them in the news. I presume in your filthy mind you think I am also a peadophile which is far from the truth but if you do ever make such a comment you better look over your shouder when you go walkabout because I will have another obsession in righting another wrong.

Be careful with your personal comments and heed my warning as I don't give up easily when i have something in mind.

Post #516192  Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:36 pm 

Blessed are the peacemakers… so here goes
Guys …in the spirit of Steve let’s keep it civil
We are all gooners albeit from different walks of life different upbringings different ages different socio economic groups …… as the French would say let’s vive la difference
Vigorous debate yes veiled threats no
Disagreee yes disrespect no
All you need is love

Post #516193  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:12 am 

I started to look at the run ins of us, city and Liverpool and was struck by how straight forward City’s looks…..again. I get that everyone plays everyone twice so an easy run in means you had it harder somewhere else, but there are good and bad times to have your fixtures, and easier fixtures when the pressure is on and you’re likely cramming those fixtures in due to cup games and postponements is definitely favourable!

Anyway, I had a perception that City always get an easy run in but needed to test that in case it was just my perception because they always steamroller wins in the home straight.

If you take the toughest 5 games of the season as away to the fellow big 6 sides then in the last 7 seasons City have had to go away to a big 6 side only 4 times in their final 10 games. So 4 in 70 games. By contrast Arsenal have had to go away to a big 6 side 14 times, including 3 times this season.

We have a tough run in again so we need to make the most of our next 6 before we play City, if we want to win the title it feels like we need to win all 6. No slip ups at all

Post #516194  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:25 am 

Rich wrote:
I started to look at the run ins of us, city and Liverpool and was struck by how straight forward City’s looks…..again. I get that everyone plays everyone twice so an easy run in means you had it harder somewhere else, but there are good and bad times to have your fixtures, and easier fixtures when the pressure is on and you’re likely cramming those fixtures in due to cup games and postponements is definitely favourable!

Anyway, I had a perception that City always get an easy run in but needed to test that in case it was just my perception because they always steamroller wins in the home straight.

If you take the toughest 5 games of the season as away to the fellow big 6 sides then in the last 7 seasons City have had to go away to a big 6 side only 4 times in their final 10 games. So 4 in 70 games. By contrast Arsenal have had to go away to a big 6 side 14 times, including 3 times this season.

We have a tough run in again so we need to make the most of our next 6 before we play City, if we want to win the title it feels like we need to win all 6. No slip ups at all

Don't do it to yourself, Rich. I made that mistake last season.

City are a machine with incredible strength in depth and somehow seem to have all their big players fit when it comes to the business end of the season. Even Haaland and De Bruyne being out made little difference and now they are both back look out. No one is stopping them bar some sort of unprecedented injury crisis.

We beat Liverpool, which was fantastic, but we still had to rely on two massive Liverpool errors to get us the goals to win it.

Somehow we need to become more ruthless and more clinical, and rotate more where we can, otherwise every game in the run-in becomes a slog, physically and emotionally draining.

Killing teams off when on top allows for better energy conservation and better use of substitutes but we don't have that killer instinct. It cost us last season and it will likely do so again this season. We lost the Liverpool cup tie because we couldn't finish our chances.

As an example, the Havertz attempted finish when put through on goal was actually very poor but we got lucky with the rebound that fell to Saka. We have to be more clinical in those kinds of situations because you can't expect to get lots of big chances in every game, especially against the top sides.

Post #516195  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:36 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

City are a machine with incredible strength in depth and somehow seem to have all their big players fit when it comes to the business end of the season. Even Haaland and De Bruyne being out made little difference and now they are both back look out. No one is stopping them bar some sort of unprecedented injury crisis.

We beat Liverpool, which was fantastic, but we still had to rely on two massive Liverpool errors to get us the goals to win it.

Somehow we need to become more ruthless and more clinical, and rotate more where we can, otherwise every game in the run-in becomes a slog, physically and emotionally draining.

Killing teams off when on top allows for better energy conservation and better use of substitutes but we don't have that killer instinct. It cost us last season and it will likely do so again this season. We lost the Liverpool cup tie because we couldn't finish our chances.

As an example, the Havertz attempted finish when put through on goal was actually very poor but we got lucky with the rebound that fell to Saka. We have to be more clinical in those kinds of situations because you can't expect to get lots of big chances in every game, especially against the top sides.

Just rewinding to last season, one other factor was we came apart when Saliba was injured. What have we done this season to cover such eventuality. Frankly I don't believe we have a plan. Maybe I have missed our plan B .

Post #516196  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:44 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:

Just rewinding to last season, one other factor was we came apart when Saliba was injured. What have we done this season to cover such eventuality. Frankly I don't believe we have a plan. Maybe I have missed our plan B .

Fair points Gaz and Soc. I remember looking at the run in around Christmas and though similar to Rich, it’s tough. Probably shouldn’t forget either that in the period of City dominance there has been the best Liverpool side in the last 30 years that have won the league once?

The petrodoppers are akin to a Russian sports academy and the only thing that’s likely to even the field a b it is if they’re smacked with some serious FFP damages.

The only part I disagree on is there have been signs of 1 touch passes and quicker play, like the Ødegaard chip that coincidentally put Havertz through. And Havertz had a pretty good game up front when he’s being played all over the joint. I still want sharper finishing but I can see glimmers that would make me believe this is being worked on.

Man City will fold of course when Arsenal win it. :laughing7:

Post #516197  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:51 am 

P.s. isn’t it such a nice change to go into big games and know that we’ve got a chance and not just resigned to getting killed.

Post #516198  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:52 am 

How’s things up your way Gaz? Doesn’t make good reading in the news so hope you’re staying dry.

Post #516199  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:01 am 

grantyboy wrote:
How’s things up your way Gaz? Doesn’t make good reading in the news so hope you’re staying dry.

Yeah had cyclone thru about 2 weeks ago. It was a cat 2 and really strange. Global warming is even making them even more unpredictable. Minimal damage: trees, branches down and back fence blown down but little rain. Just propped fence up again but it needs replacing. But otherwise week after week of heatwaves. The aircon is working 24/7. But we are still in with a chance of the EPL so life is okay. What about you.

Post #516200  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:07 am 

Timber has been added to our CL squad list. Still hopeful of seeing him for the run in, but we should be wary of any big impact because the rate of minor niggles after coming back from an ACL are very high. And should they happen fans should stop short of labelling him injury prone.

Tomiyasu is back which is very helpful for a bit of depth in defence as it feels like we've only had 5 defenders for some time now. I can't see anywhere now where Saliba and Gabriel get a break which is why I'd have a CB at their level on the summer shopping list

[ 518931 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12902, 12903, 12904, 12905, 12906, 12907, 12908 ... 12974  Next