Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 275 guests

Post #472481  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:40 am 

Draytonkid wrote:
can't believe we're haggling over a few million

You can't?

Post #472482  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:41 am 

I used to really enjoy listening to Jimmy Armfield when he co-commentated on matches. Always a voice of clear reason without any agenda. It would have been understandable for him to have a little moan at the excessses of the modern game given he was a one club man and a World Cup winner, yet he rarely had a bad word to say.

Post #472483  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:48 am 

I wonder how badly Alexis will get booed on his return to Arsenal.
He hasn't really done anything wrong. Then again neither did the Ox who did get booed.
If we do get Aubameyang it will at least make watching Arsenal more interesting

Post #472484  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:52 am 

Daz wrote:
john1 wrote:

Battery acid? meh. It was the 'Tiger' that did it for me - I felt the love and I needed to be loved.

It's interesting about Sanchez because I feel no anger towards him and I'm not remotely bothered if financial issues affected his new contract talks when he had seen out the old one.

He isn't a very loveable player though - only an idiot would deny his match-winning quality but there's just something about him that is a little off-putting (apart from his face). Although his face is a guide because actually he can look quite endearing sometimes but there is a quality that just makes you feel a bit uncomfortable. about it as if it hasn't quite been put together correctly. I will be very interested to see how he fares under Mourinho at United. Haven't got a clue just as nobody has a clue how Mkhitaryan will do under Wenger.

Another positive is he likes dogs. I am a dog person and hate cats - they should all be put down.

Post #472485  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 am 

Bored wrote:
I wonder how badly Alexis will get booed on his return to Arsenal.
He hasn't really done anything wrong. Then again neither did the Ox who did get booed.
If we do get Aubameyang it will at least make watching Arsenal more interesting

I agree that he hasn't really done anything wrong - he is a professional football player and has every right to seek the best deal for himself. That being said, he went to Man United so he should be booed.

Going to a rival football club is not a big crime in the grand scheme of things, but being booed in a football game is hardly the harshest of punishment either. All part of the game.

Post #472486  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:55 am 

Hazuki wrote:
john1 wrote:
I'm not bothered about him either, which is kind of what I meant by him not being 'Arsenal'. van Persie I considered 'Arsenal', so I was well dischuffed with him; likewise Fabregas.

Get what you mean. As much as Sanches is a world class player, it would feel much worse if we lost Wilshere or Ramsey.

And he hangs the bait out waiting for a nibble. Nah I just can't be bothered.

Post #472487  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 am 

After seeing Uniteds introduction video of Sanchez where they have him playing the piano (!) I'm actually kind of glad we sold him. Cringiest video of the year so far.

Post #472488  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:00 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
And he hangs the bait out waiting for a nibble. Nah I just can't be bothered.

I really wasn't baiting! Just my personal affinity for two players for various reasons, not much to debate. I'm not saying they're better than Sanchez.

Post #472489  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:01 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Alexis, good luck to you. You gave your best to the team until it was not worth it.

You had a manager who made empty promises about bringing in real top class talent. You had a manager who gives very weak attempts at signing top players. You had teammates who were not pulling their weight. You had teammates who, as favoured individuals, could not be bothered to give as much as you. You had Captains who inspire less than you feel they should, and in fact, don't inspire at all. You tried, but when you had enough, everybody forgot that you were the most influential player for a long time.

If he had any respect for the club he'd leave the country. Spain, PSG, Bayern, Juve, he couild be at a big club overseas and win things. Henry and Fabregas at least had enough respect not to go to a direct rival after they left. Fabregas at least tried to come back as well.

I said he gave his all when he was here, respect to the club is another matter altogether. I don't think "respect" factors into the thinking of many players nowadays. They go where the money is. They go where the club has ambitions which matches them.

Post #472490  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:05 am 

Hazuki wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Alexis, good luck to you. You gave your best to the team until it was not worth it.

You had a manager who made empty promises about bringing in real top class talent. You had a manager who gives very weak attempts at signing top players. You had teammates who were not pulling their weight. You had teammates who, as favoured individuals, could not be bothered to give as much as you. You had Captains who inspire less than you feel they should, and in fact, don't inspire at all. You tried, but when you had enough, everybody forgot that you were the most influential player for a long time.

From now on, whenever someone says the world’s smallest violin is playing they will be wrong, because the smallest violin in the world by far will forever be playing for the guy who just signed a £100m contract, after his terrible ordeal at Arsenal where he was paid close to £200k a week to kick a football around.

He kicked the football very well for a long enough time, until the light went up in his head that others around him weren't. And a conductor who doesn't have the reach to conduct a full orchestra.

Post #472491  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:06 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Another positive is he likes dogs. I am a dog person and hate cats - they should all be put down.

Always found this dichotomy weird. I like them both. My cat is decorative, hygienic and easy to live with, my dog is a needy little *%^@** who pees when over-excited.

Post #472492  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 am 

Daz wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Always found this dichotomy weird. I like them both. My cat is decorative, hygienic and easy to live with, my dog is a needy little *%^@** who pees when over-excited.

I do that...

Post #472493  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 am 

Sanchez has many doggish qualities. Mad energy, barks at shadows, always optimistic that it will work out the way he wants if he just keeps trying over and over again, sometimes comes comically unstuck.

Post #472494  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:10 am 

Abu wrote:
Daz wrote:

I do that...

yeah we've all been there...

Post #472495  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 am 

Daz wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Jumping on this, I love dogs !

Post #472496  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:16 am 

Daz wrote:
Compare and contrast to our own manager (I know I know, it is SO unfair to pick over and "deconstruct" what he says to the newspapers but a cat can look at a king sometimes) and the analytical brilliance of: "I just play the good players they can always play together".

It's that outside-the-box type of thinking that sets him apart and justifies his salary though Daz.

I mean some might find the notion of playing without a defence or with a keeper who can't save penalties somewhat radical but not Wenger.

You see, when you think about it it all makes perfect sense. Playing with defenders who are under no obligation to do any defending removes the pressure and allows them to express themselves. The same goes for Čech, no one expects him to save a penalty so the pressure is not there and he can play with complete freedom. It's genius.

Post #472497  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:21 am 

Daz wrote:
he isn't a very loveable player though - but there's just something about him that is a little off-putting (apart from his face). Although his face is a guide because actually he can look quite endearing sometimes but there is a quality that just makes you feel a bit uncomfortable.

He does at least look as if he's got a bit of tetosterone flowing through his veins , your hero Joachim looks like he's done a blood swap for six litres of weasels p**s

Post #472498  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:47 am 

Daz wrote:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFXEIAlVEw[/youtube]

RIP

Thanks, Daz. Excellent song.

Post #472499  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:51 am 

Daz wrote:
...Although his face is a guide because actually he can look quite endearing sometimes but there is a quality that just makes you feel a bit uncomfortable. about it as if it hasn't quite been put together correctly...
A physiognomist too? Is there no end to your reach? https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-awe ... techniques

Post #472500  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:59 am 

Draytonkid wrote:
Just watched some vids of Mkhi and lost count of the times he and Aubi linked up to score, Aubi is a must to join us , can't believe we're haggling over a few million , after the money recouped after our sales, and that we were willing to spend 90 mill on Lemar.
Who says we are? And if we are, we are not alone - even money-dripping City decided not to put Sanchez on about 750 times the average weekly wage earned by Mancunians!

Post #472501  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:02 am 

Abu wrote:
Daz wrote:

I do that...
At my age I do it without noticing...

Post #472502  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:04 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Daz wrote:

Jumping on this, I love dogs !
I used to have two Doberman Pinschers. Super breed - clever, fast and loyal. Bit like Georgie Armstrong.

Post #472503  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:
...Although his face is a guide because actually he can look quite endearing sometimes but there is a quality that just makes you feel a bit uncomfortable. about it as if it hasn't quite been put together correctly...
A physiognomist too? Is there no end to your reach? https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-awe ... techniques

I'm obviously more at home with the lexical repetitions of a sestina but I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Post #472504  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:01 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Daz wrote:
he isn't a very loveable player though - but there's just something about him that is a little off-putting (apart from his face). Although his face is a guide because actually he can look quite endearing sometimes but there is a quality that just makes you feel a bit uncomfortable.

He does at least look as if he's got a bit of tetosterone flowing through his veins , your hero Joachim looks like he's done a blood swap for six litres of weasels p**s

Gone off him a bit since fingergate tbh. Who doesn't enjoy the odd scratch and sniff but it is one of those few things in life best done alone and unobserved...

Can't imagine Wenger doing it for a whole host of reasons some navigational.

Post #472505  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Daz wrote:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFXEIAlVEw[/youtube]

RIP

Thanks, Daz. Excellent song.

One of a kind ... Hambe gashle, bra Hugh

https://youtu.be/aLSLqpMXFdE

Post #472506  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:07 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Who says we are?

It's probably the induction principle at work.

Post #472507  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:09 pm 

Sorry, Top Gun but I can't find any evidence whatsoever that Wenger said Ferguson acted as an intermediary and have no memory of him doing so. I thought Wenger refused to say what Ferguson had said to him. My guess is Ferguson would have spoken highly of Welbeck. Not because he was a former academy player or cunningly wanted to get him away from United (especially as the coach said he wouldn't have sold him), but because he rated him.

Post #472508  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:24 pm 

BBC seem to be implying that Dortmund have told Arsenal the deal for Aubameyang is off unless they get Giroud.

Post #472509  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Sorry, Top Gun but I can't find any evidence whatsoever that Wenger said Ferguson acted as an intermediary and have no memory of him doing so. I thought Wenger refused to say what Ferguson had said to him. My guess is Ferguson would have spoken highly of Welbeck. Not because he was a former academy player and cunningly wanted to get him away from United (especially as the coach said he wouldn't have sold him), but because he rated him.

Wenger commented he couldn't confirm what fergusons role was in the affair but one day he would have to include it if he wrote a book. He was acting as liasion to make the transfer happen as they were at a UEFA conference. However you are missing the point and focussing on an incidental detail.

The actual point remains which you are missing united and Ferguson of all people wouldn't enable a quality Manchester United player to go to arsenal. Remember his comments about selling Gab Heinze to Liverpool.

Also my point on Welbeck remains whilst I like his effort and work rate and contribution as a squad player it must be considered that 39 career goals for a 27 year old striker who has played up front for 2 major sides is an absolute shocking record.

Post #472510  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:51 pm 

Your "actual point" is pure speculation. Believe whatever you want, but you can't really fault anyone for believing Ferguson was being genuine with his comments and that it wasn't all part of an elaborate ruse.

Post #472511  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:56 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Your "actual point" is pure speculation. Believe whatever you want, but you can't really fault anyone for believing Ferguson was being genuine with his comments and that it wasn't all part of an elaborate ruse.

No the actual point has been proved factually. 39 career goals for a 27 year old striker (their prime years) is not the record of an outstanding talent.

For us not to sign Welbeck certainly wouldn't have made us "mad" and united wouldn't have sold him if they thought otherwise. If you think this wasn't the case you must be pretty daft or living in the twilight zone.

Post #472512  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
No the actual point has been proved factually. 39 career goals for a 27 year old striker (their prime years) is not the record of an outstanding talent.

Nice try to move the goalposts (as you always do) but no, it has not been proven 'factually' that Ferguson recommended Wenger to sign Welbeck because he didn't believe in his quality.

Post #472513  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
BBC seem to be implying that Dortmund have told Arsenal the deal for Aubameyang is off unless they get Giroud.

What are we waiting for?

Post #472514  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:07 pm 

And just to be clear, Top Gun; it does not matter if Welbeck never scores another goal for Arsenal. Whatever he's achieved or failed to achieve at the club has absolutely no bearing on what Ferguson thought of him back in 2014.

Post #472515  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:08 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Nice try to move the goalposts (as you always do) but no, it has not been proven 'factually' that Ferguson recommended Wenger to sign Welbeck because he didn't believe in his quality.

Well yes it is factual as Welbeck has proven to be distinctly average and Ferguson proven to be an excellent manager and judge of character.

They aren't selling Welbeck to Arsenal if they believed he was up to Their standard and anyone who thinks otherwise must be a right idiot.

Post #472516  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ferguson proven to be an excellent manager and judge of character.

Ferguson signed Djemba-Djemba, Bebe, Veron, Kleberson, etc. No manager is completely right in his assessment of every player. None of this proves your speculation to be correct.

Post #472517  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:13 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
And just to be clear, Top Gun; it does not matter if Welbeck never scores another goal for Arsenal. Whatever he's achieved or failed to achieve at the club has absolutely no bearing on what Ferguson thought of him back in 2014.

Course it does if Ferguson and united thought he was keck in 2014 and wasn't going to achieve anything. He wouldn't have been here!

Did your mum drop you as a kid

Post #472518  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:14 pm 

Top Gun, then perhaps you should wait until Wenger writes his book before making such claims. As things stand, I can't see much evidence for what you claim. Also, I'm absolutely certain that when he joined Everton I saw Walcott described as a good (or other positive words) finisher. I'm not saying you said it, but I saw his finishing described positively on this forum. It might interest you that in club football and full internationals, Walcott has scored one goal every 3.9 appearances. Welbeck has scored a goal every 4.1 appearances in club football and full internationals. They both have played most of their football in wide positions. Does a difference of a goal every 0.2 appearances really justify having some people describe Walcott's finishing so positively, while others (or maybe in some cases the same people) describe Welbeck's finishing so negatively? Furthermore, I personally rate Welbeck's all round game more highly than I rate Walcott's which for me more than makes up for the goal every 0.2 per appearances difference.

Post #472519  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:15 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Ferguson proven to be an excellent manager and judge of character.

Ferguson signed Djemba-Djemba, Bebe, Veron, Kleberson, etc. No manager is completely right in his assessment of every player. None of this proves your speculation to be correct.

Yeah and they flogged them all as soon as they could like Welbeck. :1laughter:

This one was different Welbeck was there for years and came through their academy. They aren't letting him go to us if he was a major talent.

Post #472520  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:15 pm 

I'm starting to change my opinion here. Maybe if you just repeat your claim one more time I'll be completely convinced?

[ 562427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11810, 11811, 11812, 11813, 11814, 11815, 11816 ... 14061  Next