Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf, warrior and 284 guests

Post #497681  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 am 

Hmnnn the criminal justice system might need a complete overhaul.

Post #497682  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:53 pm 

Mertesacker confirmed will be in dugout tomorrow. Going to be helping Ljungberg in the interim period

Post #497683  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:55 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just pointing out a very simple fact. He would have achieved his target. So on such fine margins things are decided. No I don't like Emery's style or non-style of play but I also don't like the way our players seem to be immune from criticism. They are part of the problem at the club. I don't blame Aubameyang for our poor play or lack of tactics but I blame him for failure to get to the CL and always will.

The really bad thing about Aubs miss was that we would have been in CL (where we probably couldn't have crawled out of the group stages) but Spurs would have been in the Europa League this season and therefore less cashed up.

That is a very strange way of looking at it. I don't see fine margins at all. Without Aubameyang's 22 goals we would have been lucky to get into the Europa League, let alone almost stumble into the CL. We were appallingly poor at the end of last season and it wasn't his fault.

Winning away to spurs is tough, very tough. Beating Brighton at home should not have been tough. If we want to pinpoint one game where we lost top 4, that was it.

Post #497684  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
Mertesacker confirmed will be in dugout tomorrow. Going to be helping Ljungberg in the interim period

It’s on Sky Sports.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... head-coach

Post #497685  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:58 pm 

Interesting. Some of these echoed on here. Some not.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/arsenal-mu ... 50235.html

Post #497686  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:12 pm 

Rich wrote:

Apparently Ljungberg was looking for an experienced head, someone with an indepth knowledge of the game, someone with organisational and leadership qualities and someone who was an outstanding player for the club.

However, he couldn't find anyone so he went for Mertesacker instead.

Post #497687  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
Seems to be a big list of potential managers:
Arteta, Allegri, Rodgers, ancelloti, nuno espirito, nagelsmann, pochettino, Vieira, ljungberg

What is the forum’s top 3

AG top choice :42laughter:

Post #497688  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:46 pm 

Rich wrote:

Or maybe there is more to it? Is he a qualified coach?

Post #497689  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:56 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Apparently Ljungberg was looking for an experienced head, someone with an indepth knowledge of the game, someone with organisational and leadership qualities and someone who was an outstanding player for the club.

:laughing7: :laughing7: Clichy not available?

Post #497690  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:31 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

But Mertesacker meets every single one of the qualities you list. It’s stupid to deny it.

Post #497691  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:35 pm 

The Express, Mirror and Star all name Rodgers as Arsenal’s top target while the Mail claim Rodgers is one of a number of targets.

Post #497692  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:51 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

But Mertesacker meets every single one of the qualities you list. It’s stupid to deny it.

I just get the feeling that Per and Freddie are very decent coaches. Am fascinated to see how this plays out. I am more excited by tomorrow’s game than I have been for a very long time. Something just feels right about this, based on absolutely nothing tangible. I would love this to be a success. However you feel about the two as players they are real Arsenal men who both absolutely got what it meant to play for Arsenal.

Post #497693  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:58 pm 

Looks like Mourinho has a lot of work to do. Have they almost failed to keep a lead in every game they've played so far?

Post #497694  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:01 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Looks like Mourinho has a lot of work to do. Have they almost failed to keep a lead in every game they've played so far?

I hope so, but I'd still back them to finish ahead of us at this point in time. I did think about Bielsa a few weeks back, if he'd leave Leeds, which I'm not sure we could achieve, he'd be my first choice I think. Gets his teams playing with intensity.

Post #497695  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:11 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Under Mourinho they keep winning though. I’m glad West Ham won at Chelsea. With Ljungberg and Mertesacker now at the helm instead of Emery, I think we still have a realistic chance of getting a top four place.

Post #497696  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:16 pm 

I hope they give Freddie a chance to prove himself. I woud love us to become a tea that promotes from within as much as possible at leas let's do it till another Klopp or Guardiola come along.

Post #497697  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:35 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
I hope they give Freddie a chance to prove himself. I woud love us to become a tea that promotes from within as much as possible at leas let's do it till another Klopp or Guardiola come along.

I can see Guardiola not being at City next season. He’s failed to get over the loss of Kompany. Might Arteta stay at City in the hope he will take over from Guardiola?

Post #497698  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:51 pm 

It's not impossible but we coud be 5th tomorrow.

First time in years I've been confident and expect it to happen...................

We've got our Arsenal back :21encouragement: :22encouragement: :53big-emoticons:

Post #497699  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Not as stupid as your anti-Ljungberg bias.

Post #497700  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:16 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I can see Guardiola not being at City next season. He’s failed to get over the loss of Kompany. Might Arteta stay at City in the hope he will take over from Guardiola?

Laporte is a huge loss and it has been glossed over to a large degree. He's a very good defender. Can you imagine the wailing if VVD was out injured for any length of time?

Post #497701  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:20 pm 

Darren wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I just get the feeling that Per and Freddie are very decent coaches. Am fascinated to see how this plays out. I am more excited by tomorrow’s game than I have been for a very long time. Something just feels right about this, based on absolutely nothing tangible. I would love this to be a success. However you feel about the two as players they are real Arsenal men who both absolutely got what it meant to play for Arsenal.

I feel exactly the same way, Darren. Those two guys definitely know what it means to be Arsenal. It's so nice to have a bit of a buzz about watching an Arsenal match again. I find football increasingly boring these days and I've no idea why I devote so much of my time to it. Maybe Freddie and Per will change things.

Post #497702  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:45 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

But I’m not anti-Ljungberg at all. I consider him an Arsenal legend. I’m just prepared to accept he was grossly overrated as a player. It seems you’re not. That’s your problem, not mine.

Post #497703  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:20 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Harsh of Emery who seemed a nice guy but I can’t recall a manager more out of his depth.

He will now likely manage a mid table Spanish side or go back to starring in the Hotel Transylvania movies

FFS - it just didn't work at our club. In the right location he is a good manager. There was no 8-2 loses or even 6-1.

Entertainment expectation levels must be pretty damn low in Townsville .....

" he is a good manager " ..... what ...just because he avoided 8 -2 and 6 - 1 losses " :icon_scratch:

He was abysmal , worst Arsenal manager ever , set out to play an awful slow build up
style of football , then didn't have the brains to coach something else when it failed week and week out .

" The right location for his skills " ....

Hmmm let's see here ... would have to be Spanish speaking .... ahhmmm.. [ sounds of tuneless whistling ]

Nailed it .... Easter Island Under 7's

Post #497704  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

But I’m not anti-Ljungberg at all. I consider him an Arsenal legend. I’m just prepared to accept he was grossly overrated as a player. It seems you’re not. That’s your problem, not mine.

I disagree he was a superb player,

He scored critical match winning goals and never shirked. I always loved watching him play. I think the reason he got less acclaim was the quality of the team he was in which was sensational. Scored a winner and is one of only 16 players who have scored hat tricks in the league for us since the start of the premier league

Ramsey or Ljungberg ? Don’t make me laugh. If he was around now our whole team would be built around him.

Post #497705  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:23 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
FFS - it just didn't work at our club. In the right location he is a good manager. There was no 8-2 loses or even 6-1.

Entertainment expectation levels must be pretty damn low in Townsville .....

" he is a good manager " ..... what ...just because he avoided 8 -2 and 6 - 1 losses " :icon_scratch:

He was abysmal , worst Arsenal manager ever , set out to play an awful slow build up
style of football , then didn't have the brains to coach something else when it failed week and week out .

" The right location for his skill [ sounds of tuneless whistling ]

Nailed it .... Easter Island Under 7's

:1laughter:

Post #497706  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He scored critical match winning goals and never shirked. I always loved watching him play. I think the reason he got less acclaim was the quality of the team he was in which was sensational. Scored a winner and is one of only 16 players who have scored hat tricks in the league for us since the start of the premier league

Ramsey or Ljungberg ? Don’t make me laugh. If he was around now our whole team would be built around him.

Completely disagree. You’re one of the people who make me see Ljungberg as grossly overrated. A really likeable person, but not a great player by any stretch of the imagination.

Post #497707  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Completely disagree. You’re one of the people who make me see Ljungberg as grossly overrated. A really likeable person, but not a great player by any stretch of the imagination.

You think Guendouzi is “the heartbeat of our side” yet Freddie “not great”

In 2002 when Pires got injured if it wasn’t for Ljungberg we wouldn’t have won that title.

Unfortunately your talking nonsense again,

Post #497708  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

In 2002 when Pires got injured if it wasn’t for Ljungberg we wouldn’t have won that title.

You can’t seriously be that stupid. Guendouzi is the genuine heartbeat of the current team and Ljungberg was nowhere near great.

Post #497709  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You can’t seriously be that stupid. Guendouzi is the genuine heartbeat of the current team and Ljungberg was nowhere near great.

Guendouzi stunk the place out this week when he came on. He looked worse than a 32 year old centre half being played out of position that he came on for.

Ljungberg won us titles.

Utterly clueless

At this point your as logical on here as man who goes around saying ‘Oooh, you’re looking a bit chunky’ at a convention for recovering anorexics.

Post #497710  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
Rodgers won't leave.

Having been told what Rodgers said when asked about the job, I think he would take it. The rumours are buying him out of his Leicester contract would cost £14m. In modern Premier League football that is peanuts. Worth every single penny.

Agreed, moneyat that level to buy out a manager is nothing when you compare it to what we spend on players. The right manager changes an entire team.

Let’s say Barca want to ‘buy’ Klopp, why shouldn’t that cost £100m. Is there any greater risk that Klopp won’t be a success than if they spent £100m on Salah for example. If Klopp is at his best that is better for Barca than if Salah is at his best for them.

Post #497711  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:03 pm 

Darren wrote:

Well any change is to be welcomed Darren ... you'd have to hope Ljungberrg had zero input in his Emery relationship .

Yes it does seem a good mix ...but don't get your hopes too high .

This passing backwards sideways will take some time to eradicate .

but if Fred turns out better than he was as a player as Decaf points out we could win the league next year

.... if Per turns out better than he was as a player we should avoid relegation .

Post #497712  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:03 pm 

The one big take away from this move is a positive.
Josh wants to win. Stan would not have pulled the trigger at this time.

Post #497713  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:58 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
.... if Per turns out better than he was as a player we should avoid relegation .

Give it an effing rest.

Post #497714  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Guendouzi stunk the place out this week when he came on. He looked worse than a 32 year old centre half being played out of position that he came on for.

Ljungberg won us titles.

Utterly clueless

At this point your as logical on here as man who goes around saying ‘Oooh, you’re looking a bit chunky’ at a convention for recovering anorexics.

He had an off day on Thursday. That doesn’t mean Guendouzi isn’t the heartbeat of the team. Ljungberg contributed to title wins. He did NOT win us titles alone. Plenty of players made contributions to title wins. Ljungberg one of them.

Seriously, I’m worried about you. I hope you’re okay.

Post #497715  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ljungberg won us titles.

Utterly clueless

He had an off day on Thursday. That doesn’t mean Guendouzi isn’t the heartbeat of the team. Ljungberg contributed to title wins. He did NOT win us titles alone. Plenty of players made contributions to title wins. Ljungberg one of them.

Guendouzi might be the midfielder we hope he can be one day, but currently not at the level we need. One paced, defensively open, goes down looking under pressure. When he's the age Freddie was at his peak at Arsenal compare their impact, but atm I'd suggest there's no contest.

Post #497716  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:29 pm 

Ash wrote:
Guendouzi might be the midfielder we hope he can be one day, but currently not at the level we need. One paced, defensively open, goes down looking under pressure. When he's the age Freddie was at his peak at Arsenal compare their impact, but atm I'd suggest there's no contest.

Good for you to have your own opinion. I just think it’s hopelessly wrong.

Post #497717  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:37 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Good for you to have your own opinion. I just think it’s hopelessly wrong.

:laughing7: my own opinion. Who's else would I have?

No he's not that bad, but honestly honestly, in an Arsenal team actually challenging for top 4 and, heaven forbid we see it again in our lifetimes, the title, Guendouzi has got some improving to do and some consistency to achieve to make that team. As is true for half this squad. He's young and is very confident and looks decent in fits and spurts, but I don't take it for granted he'll just keep improving with age and by 22 onwards will be Petit mark II. I hope he does but it's by no means guaranteed.

Post #497718  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ljungberg won us titles.

Utterly clueless

He had an off day on Thursday. That doesn’t mean Guendouzi isn’t the heartbeat of the team. Ljungberg contributed to title wins. He did NOT win us titles alone.

He did, he carried our torch after pires got injured in 2002. Anybody denying this is an idiot. His goals literally won us the points needed.

Guendouzi was not only bad this week but has been for several games. Is he a good prospect ? Certainly looks to have many great attributes , better than Wilshere or Fabregas at similar ages ? Not on your nelly and to suggest we struggle without him is nonsense.

At this point your credibility is equal to Prince Andrew. Say something else

Post #497719  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:50 pm 

Ash wrote:
:laughing7: my own opinion. Who's else would I have?

No he's not that bad, but honestly honestly, in an Arsenal team actually challenging for top 4 and, heaven forbid we see it again in our lifetimes, the title, Guendouzi has got some improving to do and some consistency to achieve to make that team. As is true for half this squad. He's young and is very confident and looks decent in fits and spurts, but I don't take it for granted he'll just keep improving with age and by 22 onwards will be Petit mark II. I hope he does but it's by no means guaranteed.

Talksport declared Guendouzi as our player of the season so far. Apart from Aubameyang, who else is a candidate? Leno maybe? While I know Talksport isn’t the most reliable source, I think their presenter(s) got this one right.

Post #497720  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:51 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Guendouzi is a fine prospect, his attitude is excellent with his aggression but his technical abilities and speed of distribution or lack of it (at the moment) isn’t great however, to suggest he’s anywhere near Ljungbergs level is daft.

[ 563338 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12440, 12441, 12442, 12443, 12444, 12445, 12446 ... 14084  Next