Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, Decaf, Rich, warrior and 279 guests

Post #497441  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:57 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:
When younger I would completely agree. Now I’d put Kane ahead of him. If Bayern last season and Barcelona this season were given the free choice of having either Kane or Lewandowski in their team, I am absolutely certain they would both choose Kane.

Lewandowski's age alone hardly makes him a worse player though - it just makes it unlikely he'll keep this level for as long as Kane can be expected to. Lewandowski's past three seasons have been his best, and he was a better player at 33 than he was at 28 which is quite remarkable.

Benzema has to get a mention here. Top scorer in both La Liga and the CL last season, winning both. 44 goals in 46 games including goals against PSG, Chelsea, Man City and the winning goal in the final against Liverpool. It was an absolutely phenomenal season. He has been the best striker in the world in the past 12.months.

Post #497442  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:10 am 

dec wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Lewandowski's age alone hardly makes him a worse player though - it just makes it unlikely he'll keep this level for as long as Kane can be expected to. Lewandowski's past three seasons have been his best, and he was a better player at 33 than he was at 28 which is quite remarkable.

Benzema has to get a mention here. Top scorer in both La Liga and the CL last season, winning both. 44 goals in 46 games including goals against PSG, Chelsea, Man City and the winning goal in the final against Liverpool. It was an absolutely phenomenal season. He has been the best striker in the world in the past 12.months.

Yes, another player that has aged very well. He really took his game to another level after Ronaldo left and he became the main man for Real, he's hit 20+ league goals every season since.

Post #497443  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:34 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:
When younger I would completely agree. Now I’d put Kane ahead of him. If Bayern last season and Barcelona this season were given the free choice of having either Kane or Lewandowski in their team, I am absolutely certain they would both choose Kane.

It is far easier scoring goals for Bayern than it is for Tottenham. Kane is better than Lewandowski.

Post #497444  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
It is far easier scoring goals for Bayern than it is for Tottenham. Kane is better than Lewandowski.

Not sure that's true at all. Playing for a better team also means more players will be able to share the goalscoring load; for Tottenham everything revolves around Kane and Son.

Post #497445  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:41 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Not sure that's true at all. Playing for a better team also means more players will be able to share the goalscoring load; for Tottenham everything revolves around Kane and Son.

I firmly believe it’s true.

Post #497446  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:55 am 

dec wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

If I had the choice of having either Kane or Benzema at Arsenal this season, Kane would get my vote.

Post #497447  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:06 am 

I'm hoping one of the few things that the squad may take from the loss is that they have a ways to go. Maybe...just maybe they might have started to think they were 'contenders' and farther ahead in progress than we really are. Hoping they lick their wounds and decide to double down and make sure that doesn't happen again.

It's going to be a tough next 4-6 weeks. We will be tested again. And that's a good thing.

Post #497448  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

If I had the choice of having either Kane or Benzema at Arsenal this season, Kane would get my vote.

Inclined, reluctantly, to agree. I think Benzema is a sensational goalscorer, but I would be more confident that Kane would fit Arsenal better. Still think he's a *%^@, but he's a very good *%^@.

Post #497449  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:42 am 

Darren wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Inclined, reluctantly, to agree. I think Benzema is a sensational goalscorer, but I would be more confident that Kane would fit Arsenal better. Still think he's a *%^@, but he's a very good *%^@.

Possibly, but for me only due to the fact that Benzema is 34 so could decline rapidly. If his form of last season was guaranteed, then he gets the nod without a doubt.

If I could magically transfer one striker to Arsenal right now, it would be Mbappe, with Haaland a close second.

Post #497450  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:43 am 

Darren wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yeah. I’d settle for either of Bernard’s ‘rejects’ being Lewandowski or Haaland. :laughing7:

Post #497451  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:01 pm 

dec wrote:
Darren wrote:

Possibly, but for me only due to the fact that Benzema is 34 so could decline rapidly. If his form of last season was guaranteed, then he gets the nod without a doubt.

If I could magically transfer one striker to Arsenal right now, it would be Mbappe, with Haaland a close second.

Ah Mbappe. Wouldn’t that be something special.

Post #497452  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Yeah. I’d settle for either of Bernard’s ‘rejects’ being Lewandowski or Haaland. :laughing7:

Lewandowski and Benzema are close to being past it has-beens. Maybe they already are. Give me Kane any day of the week who is five years younger.

The huge majority of outfield players retire in their thirties. Why is that? It’s because the human body and athletic fitness declines sharply during that decade. It’s a clinical inevitability. Lewandowski and Benzema are both 34 so have already waved their peak goodbye.

Post #497453  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:56 pm 

dec wrote:

Agreed, Benzema's overall game clinches it for me if we're talking about one season only. However, if we're bringing age into the equation and looking long term then surely Haaland is the choice ahead of Kane as he's 7 years younger and already world class.

Post #497454  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:05 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Lewandowski and Benzema are close to being past it has-beens. Maybe they already are. Give me Kane any day of the week who is five years younger.

The huge majority of outfield players retire in their thirties. Why is that? It’s because the human body and athletic fitness declines sharply during that decade. It’s a clinical inevitability. Lewandowski and Benzema are both 34 so have already waved their peak goodbye.

But that is inconsistent with you choosing Kane over Haaland.

PS Thanks for the description of athletic prowess diminishing with age. Been there, done that. My peak galloped over the horizon a long time ago.

Post #497455  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:21 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

PS Thanks for the description of athletic prowess diminishing with age. Been there, done that. My peak galloped over the horizon a long time ago.

What I’ve said is at this moment in time Kane is the best centre forward because Haaland still has it all to do, beyond shining in a competitive league for half a dozen games. If I had to choose between them to bring one to Arsenal, I would go for Haaland because of his age. But as of now I think Kane has nothing to prove whereas Haaland does.

Post #497456  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

What I’ve said is at this moment in time Kane is the best centre forward because Haaland still has it all to do, beyond shining in a competitive league for half a dozen games. If I had to choose between them to bring one to Arsenal, I would go for Haaland because of his age. But as of now I think Kane has nothing to prove whereas Haaland does.

Fair enough.

Post #497457  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Haaland has done a bit more than shining in a competitive league for half a dozen games. Twenty-five goals in 20 games in the Champions League is rather impressive as well.

Post #497458  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:41 pm 

On strikers that Osimhen guy looks something. He terrorised the Liverpool defence and he wasn't fully fit..

Post #497459  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:08 pm 

So Potter has gone to Chelsea then. Ambitious. I wonder how long he will last. Not exactly Ostersunds is it?

Post #497460  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:15 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
So Potter has gone to Chelsea then. Ambitious. I wonder how long he will last. Not exactly Ostersunds is it?

It's a very interesting appointment. I think Potter has done a fantastic job at Brighton, considering how little they invest in the team and how they seem to lose key players every year. They've been one of my favorite teams to watch in the last few seasons. Chelsea is a different animal though, and what works at a small midtable side isn't certain to work at a team full of stars aiming for titles.

Post #497461  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:24 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

It's a very interesting appointment. I think Potter has done a fantastic job at Brighton, considering how little they invest in the team and how they seem to lose key players every year. They've been one of my favorite teams to watch in the last few seasons. Chelsea is a different animal though, and what works at a small midtable side isn't certain to work at a team full of stars aiming for titles.

To say nothing of stars with attitude. Could be tricky.

I wish him well, but conversely I hope that the wheels come off for Chelsea.

Post #497462  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:33 pm 

Arsenal team: Turner, Tomiyasu, Holding, Gabriel, Tierney, Lokonga, Xhaka, Marquinhos, Vieira, Martinelli, Nketiah.

Thought Cédric might get a run at RB and Tomiyasu at CB but the rest is as expected. Elneny and Emile Smith Rowe would have started if fit in place of Xhaka and Martinelli I think.

Arteta doesn’t look like he’ll throw kids in to this competition.

Also worth noting although the top 2 in the group qualify, you play an extra knock out game if you finish 2nd and get a bye if you finish 1st

Post #497463  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:42 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

As opposed to mine. Which barely limped next door.

Post #497464  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:42 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal team: Turner, Tomiyasu, Holding, Gabriel, Tierney, Lokonga, Xhaka, Marquinhos, Vieira, Martinelli, Nketiah.

Thought Cédric might get a run at RB and Tomiyasu at CB but the rest is as expected. Elneny and Emile Smith Rowe would have started if fit in place of Xhaka and Martinelli I think.

Also worth noting although the top 2 in the group qualify, you play an extra knock out game if you finish 2nd and get a bye if you finish 1st

I read somewhere that Cédric is injured, along with Emile Smith Rowe and Partey

Post #497465  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:10 pm 

https://experimental361.com/2022/09/07/ ... -sep-2022/

It’s only 6 games but the metrics are showing us up with the big two of City and Liverpool.

Post #497466  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:43 pm 

Rich wrote:

Any kids on the bench?

Post #497467  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:44 pm 

Looking forward to seeing Marquinhos

Post #497468  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:49 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

Any kids on the bench?

Post #497469  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:55 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:
Any kids on the bench?

The subs I’ve not seen, so am assuming are kids, are Cozier-Duberry, Hein, Cirjan and Smith (not Smith Rowe).

Post #497470  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:57 pm 

Zurich hit the post from a tight angle after Turber fluffs a back pass.

Seen a few people who’ve seen him more in the states say he’s not great with his feet. Makes you wonder why we bought him if so as that seems to be No.1 priority for an Arteta gk

Post #497471  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:58 pm 

Two good crosses by Marquinhos already, Martinelli probably should've scored there

Post #497472  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:02 pm 

Marquinhos! Excellent counter attack, Nketiah put it on a plate there

Post #497473  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:03 pm 

What a brilliant *%^@*** goal

Post #497474  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:03 pm 

Marquinhos 1-0!

Post #497475  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:03 pm 

I’m claiming that!!

Post #497476  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:03 pm 

Marquinhos !!!!!!

Nketiah did very well to create the goal

Post #497477  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:04 pm 

Vieira is tiny, but he sure can play football. His touch is excellent

Post #497478  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:04 pm 

Good lad.

Post #497479  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:05 pm 

And it’s Arsenal, Arsenal FC!

Post #497480  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:22 pm 

Do we reckon Babu is there? Or is he banned from approaching within 5000 yards of the stadium?? :laughing7:

[ 517581 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12434, 12435, 12436, 12437, 12438, 12439, 12440 ... 12940  Next