Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 276 guests

Post #513081  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:53 am 

socrates wrote:
I'm not his biggest fan but Xhaka has been very good of late, much more progressive with his passing.

Ironically, Partey by his very high standards was quite poor today. Still moments of brilliance but some very sloppy moments as well, losing possession in dangerous areas a few times etc.

Leno's save from Fred was stunning.

I've noticed that the various sites that do player ratings keep giving Leno 7/10, with few exceptions. Like this: "Always steps up when it matters and made two brilliant saves to keep Arsenal in the game. 7/10".

If a striker scored two brilliant goals would he get 7/10?

Post #513082  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:00 am 

Decaf wrote:
socrates wrote:
I'm not his biggest fan but Xhaka has been very good of late, much more progressive with his passing.

Ironically, Partey by his very high standards was quite poor today. Still moments of brilliance but some very sloppy moments as well, losing possession in dangerous areas a few times etc.

Leno's save from Fred was stunning.

I've noticed that the various sites that do player ratings keep giving Leno 7/10, with few exceptions. Like this: "Always steps up when it matters and made two brilliant saves to keep Arsenal in the game. 7/10".

If a striker scored two brilliant goals would he get 7/10?

This is true. Every week he seems to do something that prevents the ball going in our net but gets little actual credit.

He’s understated and reminds me of how Seaman was solid and understated also. Remember the people micro analysing his passing earlier in the season ? Absolutely ridiculous

Post #513083  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:04 am 

david.d wrote:
Seems Martinelli was taken off for tactical reasons. Was he really that bad??
Thought he was doing ok myself and showed up defensively as well.

I think I read something from Arteta saying it wasn’t quite working down that left side.
Martinelli helped out defensively but on one occasion he was out of position before he realised and rushed back to make a good clearance. Perhaps as fans we look at the good clearance but as manager Arteta is looking at the player out of position in the first place

Post #513084  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:23 am 

Rich wrote:
david.d wrote:
Seems Martinelli was taken off for tactical reasons. Was he really that bad??
Thought he was doing ok myself and showed up defensively as well.

I think I read something from Arteta saying it wasn’t quite working down that left side.
Martinelli helped out defensively but on one occasion he was out of position before he realised and rushed back to make a good clearance. Perhaps as fans we look at the good clearance but as manager Arteta is looking at the player out of position in the first place

Yes.

Why didn't he just switch wings for Pépé and Martinelli?

Post #513085  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:19 pm 

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/31/william- ... wsnow-feed

I would be amazed if we haven't seen the last of Saliba(correction we didnt see him at all)
Very telling there is no mention of going back to Arsenal in the summer and proving himself again.
Irreparable breakdown it seems with Arteta.
Such a shame the way he has been treated.
Shabbily treated by Arteta.
Why would he want to come back???

Post #513086  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:22 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Cédric has been playing very well actually as noted. I was a little disappointed with Partey. He's better than what we already had and I'm going to chalk it up to him still getting to the speed and aggression of the league. I expect him to get markedly better.

I can't wait to see Gabriel back in there. And as I've said, along with Partey, now Ødegaard, Aubameyang, Martinelli, newly rejuvenated Lacazette, Tierney, Leno, rapidly improving Holding, Saka, and others. The rest of the season is looking promising.

Hoping /expecting us to pick off Villa, Everton, West Ham (5th halfway through the season is nothing short of phenomenal) and with a little luck Tottenham.

Wolves has the worst recent form in the division (2 points in their last 6 games). They've only won once in their last 10 league games.

In the past few seasons, this one would have 'banana skin' written all over it for Arsenal, especially we've just had a decent performance against a top side.

Post #513087  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:29 pm 

Watched that Leno save from Fred again, full stretch, looping ball, finger tips just round the post - it is absolutely top class

Post #513088  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:31 pm 

david.d wrote:
https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/31/william-saliba-admits-he-was-hurt-by-mikel-artetas-treatment-at-arsenal-13994999/?ito=newsnow-feed

I would be amazed if we haven't seen the last of Saliba(correction we didnt see him at all)
Very telling there is no mention of going back to Arsenal in the summer and proving himself again.

One the other hand:
1. We've conceded 2 goals in our last 7 league games. I'm inclined to trust Arteta's judgement on which defenders he picks, even if it hurts the feeling of those who are left out.
2. William Saliba really shouldn't be shooting his mouth like this.

Post #513089  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:22 pm 

Decaf wrote:
david.d wrote:
https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/31/william-saliba-admits-he-was-hurt-by-mikel-artetas-treatment-at-arsenal-13994999/?ito=newsnow-feed

One the other hand:
1. We've conceded 2 goals in our last 7 league games. I'm inclined to trust Arteta's judgement on which defenders he picks, even if it hurts the feeling of those who are left out.

Points well made. And actually I’m so pleased for Holding right now.

Post #513090  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:09 pm 

That Saliba article is sad to read. I'd love to hear Arteta's side of the story. Am I to believe everyone is better than Saliba? Including anyone who has played CB since he arrived? Mustafi was better? Really?

Post #513091  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:13 pm 

He’s still shagging your bird then?

Post #513092  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:25 pm 

Well, Wolves in 2 days and it won't be easy.

Post #513093  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:31 pm 

Decaf wrote:
david.d wrote:

One the other hand:

Especially as his mistake for Nice has just cost them the game. I’d love him to succeed with us but he’s 19 years old, nearly all 19 year olds in the game who actually go on and make something of themselves in the game tend to get their head down, don’t talk to the media and get on with being humble, learning and improving

Post #513094  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:45 pm 

I saw a question online that made me think.
Do we offer Luiz another year or do we wave goodbye in the summer?

It all depends on how much money we have to spend in the market and what positions we prioritise. If for example we only have enough money for a single signing we need to go for a central midfielder. Then the question would be is there a free transfer central defender who would be better than Luiz?

Post #513095  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:49 pm 

I know we think we've got a lot of deadwood and signings who have not come up to scracth but is true of many teams - a bad run of form just highlights it more.

Look at Liverpool. They've built a superb team with everyone knowing their role and have individuals who have been at the top of their game. But dig a bit deeper and they have some pretty uninspiring players who have been covered up because of the ridiculous ability of Liverpool being able to put out that same 11 almost every game for 3 seasons. Now there are injuries and players out of form and the cracks are showing.
Shaqiri, Origi, Phillips, Minamino, Tsimikas, Adrian are all pretty average on what I've seen. Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita have been a waste of £85m. Wilandum is looking to leave for free at the end of the season, Milner can't keep plugging gaps in the squad forever he's 35. Gomez and Matip are both seriously injury prone and there must be question marks on whether Van Dijk can re-capture his form, as there would with any player after an ACL. Liverpool's age profile through their squad isn't great, they had a lot of players all reaching peak age at the same time, which obviously contributed to their success, but how do you find the next wave of younger players? Everything they've tried (apart from Jota who does look good) has failed.

It may sound stupid but if I was Klopp I'd be looking to sell Salah in the summer and start a re-build.

Post #513096  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
He’s still shagging your bird then?

? :26surprise: :laughing7:

Post #513097  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:15 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Probably like your recent prediction. It could be a win or a draw or a loss. :toothy9:

Post #513098  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:58 pm 

Awesome goal by Liverpool breaking away after a West Ham corner. Reminded me of time when our opponents dreaded taking a corner against us.

Speed and accuracy and brilliance personified. Truly wonderful to watch.

Post #513099  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:49 pm 

Decaf wrote:
david.d wrote:

One the other hand:

Yeah and Saliba isn't the only player shooting his mouth off at Arsenal either. Other clubs same, no different. It's all over other media outlets how disgruntled and upset he was with Arteta's attitude towards him. Arteta's version of it would be interesting. Wouldn't doubt that Saliba and Guendouzi talk to each other.

Post #513100  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:17 pm 

Zed wrote:
Decaf wrote:
One the other hand:

Yeah and Saliba isn't the only player shooting his mouth off at Arsenal either. Other clubs same, no different. It's all over other media outlets how disgruntled and upset he was with Arteta's attitude towards him. Arteta's version of it would be interesting. Wouldn't doubt that Saliba and Guendouzi talk to each other.

Just because he was/is upset does not mean he is right. Talking in the press about it certainly isn't going to help the situation.

As for Guendouzi, his attitude has been shown to be pretty poor (he got in an argument with a team mate at half time only a few weeks ago) so I wouldn't be too disappointed if he was moved on.

Post #513101  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:23 pm 

Arsenal only 2 points behind Spurs and Chelsea. What a difference a few months makes. I think the top 4 is out of reach but 5/6/7 seems very open.

Post #513102  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:35 pm 

They still trying to find a place in the trophy cabinet for the EPL trophy at Spurs?

Post #513103  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:59 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Awesome goal by Liverpool breaking away after a West Ham corner. Reminded me of time when our opponents dreaded taking a corner against us.

Speed and accuracy and brilliance personified. Truly wonderful to watch.

It was very good. I also thought Salah’s first goal was great. One of those where everyone knows exactly what Salah wants and is going to do but they still can’t stop it. You know he’s coming inside on that left foot but there are lots of small ball shifts, feints and body movements that stop and start the defender each time, eventually he gets the half yard and fires it in to the far corner. Almost unstoppable even when you know exactly what you’re trying to stop

Post #513104  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:12 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
They still trying to find a place in the trophy cabinet for the EPL trophy at Spurs?

We’re approaching the next phase of Mourinho management I think.
Start with energy, arrogance and deliver quick wins
Find a fall guy in the team (alli)
Results start to turn and players get the blame
Fans get fed up with poor quality football as soon as the results turn
Hierarchy gets the blame for not being able to deliver Mourinho’s unrealistic transfer targets
Falls out with more and more people and eventually leaves the club in acrimonious circumstances
Club left to pick up the pieces of a squad low on morale and with no future planning

Hopefully they don’t win the EFL cup as that could delay the moves to the next natural phase

Post #513105  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:16 am 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Probably like your recent prediction. It could be a win or a draw or a loss. :toothy9:

lol..I was right though, wasn't I? Ladbrokes has sent a black ops team after me.

Post #513106  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:23 am 

It's interesting to me how long time rivals act towards each other when they retire. Gary Neville has shown the utmost respect to the great Wenger sides. Keane and Vieira did a show together. Fabregas has appeared on Rio's podcast and spoke of the pizza incident (pizza-gate if you will, borrowing the American term for scandals). Ferguson supposedly even offered the job to Wenger (that wouldn't have gone well I think).

However, (and maybe they have), but I've not heard a kind word uttered about us by Scholes or Giggs. I hate Scholes with a passion, I am no fan of Giggs either. I've warmed to Neville, Keane and Ferguson because of the respect they have shown us since.

Some people its never going to happen. Sherringscum will always hate us and we will always hate him. I suppose fat Sam will always hate us as well and we'll hate him. I wonder if in his later years Mourinho will ever stop taking the proverbial pi$$?

Hope springs eternal. One never knows. One day, Chocolate Gooner and Daz may sit down, break bread and discuss the nuances of sophistry. Cannon Balls and Abu may laugh about things over a pint. American Gooner and.....nah, let's not get carried away. :1laughter:

Post #513107  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:30 am 

AMN attracting a lot of clubs for the loan move, Southampton, Leicester, West brom and Newcastle. The first two would be better for his development, the latter two he'll get more assured game time, potentially in his preferred midfield role and would have less chance of harming our push up the table.

If, as it looks likely, that AMN is sold in the summer then with this many clubs interested (and Wovles last summer) we should be pushing the price high and starting a bidding war. England international, versatile, trophy winner, young - all of that usually puts a big premium on a player, we need to play on it.

Post #513108  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:31 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Hierarchy gets the blame for not being able to deliver Mourinho’s unrealistic transfer targets
Falls out with more and more people and eventually leaves the club in acrimonious circumstances
Club left to pick up the pieces of a squad low on morale and with no future planning

Hopefully they don’t win the EFL cup as that could delay the moves to the next natural phase

Ground hog day. Couldn't happen to a nicer club.

Post #513109  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:01 am 

The question begs, should we sell AMN? He may not be a starter but you need a solid bench.

Post #513110  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:29 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
It's interesting to me how long time rivals act towards each other when they retire. Gary Neville has shown the utmost respect to the great Wenger sides. Keane and Vieira did a show together. Fabregas has appeared on Rio's podcast and spoke of the pizza incident (pizza-gate if you will, borrowing the American term for scandals). Ferguson supposedly even offered the job to Wenger (that wouldn't have gone well I think).

However, (and maybe they have), but I've not heard a kind word uttered about us by Scholes or Giggs. I hate Scholes with a passion, I am no fan of Giggs either. I've warmed to Neville, Keane and Ferguson because of the respect they have shown us since.

Some people its never going to happen. Sherringscum will always hate us and we will always hate him. I suppose fat Sam will always hate us as well and we'll hate him. I wonder if in his later years Mourinho will ever stop taking the proverbial pi$$?

Hope springs eternal. One never knows. One day, Chocolate Gooner and Daz may sit down, break bread and discuss the nuances of sophistry. Cannon Balls and Abu may laugh about things over a pint. American Gooner and.....nah, let's not get carried away. :1laughter:

Indeed, you make a very good point. It's just pathetic when people can't get over past rivalries and disputes, bear grudges and invent grievances, and simply tune out people they disagree with.

Post #513111  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:52 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

The Spurs fans can console themselves with some very important anniversaries that are coming up.
1. The diamond anniversary of the last league title (and of course the glorious double!).
2. The pearl anniversary of the last FA cup victory.
3. The lace anniversary of the momentous league cup triumph.
4. And (the one freshest in the minds of most living Spurs supporters) the silk anniversary of the Barclays Asia Trophy!

Post #513112  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:15 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The question begs, should we sell AMN? He may not be a starter but you need a solid bench.

I think he's only suited to a wing back role at the moment.
If we have a guy who is 3rd choice RB, 3rd choice LB and 5th or so down the list of CM.....and we can generate £25m for him then we should probably sell.
In the summer it seemed that he was far more integral to the team, as we were still playing wing backs.

He offers good cover but if we get a back up left-back and add some more quality in central midfield in the summer you would probably struggle to see where he gets games.

Post #513113  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:16 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

The Spurs fans can console themselves with some very important anniversaries that are coming up.
1. The diamond anniversary of the last league title (and of course the glorious double!).
2. The pearl anniversary of the last FA cup victory.
3. The lace anniversary of the momentous league cup triumph.
4. And (the one freshest in the minds of most living Spurs supporters) the silk anniversary of the Barclays Asia Trophy!

Also I'm not sure it was marked but last year was the centenary anniversary of their Norwich Charity Cup win

Post #513114  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:19 am 

A lot of talk that Willock could go on loan to Newcastle today. Hope it happens, he needs games.

Also talk about us bringing in Van Aanholt - not sure whether on loan or permanent. His contract is up in the summer and strangely he does count as a 'home grown' player as he served his 3 years English football before his 21st birthday with Chelsea (had forgotten that)

Post #513115  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

If we have a guy who is 3rd choice RB, 3rd choice LB and 5th or so down the list of CM.....and we can generate £25m for him then we should probably sell.
In the summer it seemed that he was far more integral to the team, as we were still playing wing backs.

He offers good cover but if we get a back up left-back and add some more quality in central midfield in the summer you would probably struggle to see where he gets games.

I'd suggest he's a bit more diverse skill wise than full back. Parlour comes to mind. Played all over the pitch, where ever was needed. Couldn't AMN fill in, in a pinch for other positions, especially in a fixture congestion situation where we need to keep starters fresh for the more important games?

Post #513116  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:16 pm 

Rich wrote:

It's a bit of a catch 22 with regards to squad building for me. On the one hand, I can't help but feel it's unnecessary to waste a non-homegrown spot on someone like Elneny who is just a squad player that should never get more than a very limited amount of starts over a season. On the other hand, since we need to strengthen our starting eleven, it's even more unnecessary to have someone who's worth £25m riding the bench.

At this point it's hard to see AMN having a future here. I don't think he has what it takes to make an impact in midfield, and while he could theoretically do better than Bellerin if given the chance at RB, I think we should be looking for something better there.

Post #513117  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:26 pm 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I suppose fat Sam will always hate us as well and we'll hate him. I wonder if in his later years Mourinho will ever stop taking the proverbial pi$$?

Indeed, you make a very good point. It's just pathetic when people can't get over past rivalries and disputes, bear grudges and invent grievances, and simply tune out people they disagree with.

If I was able to post smilies Decaf, that would get the emoji representing uncontrolled laughter.

I must admit, I’m never convinced as some that Mourinho hates Arsenal as a club. I fully accept he may well have disliked Wenger, and I’ve little or no doubt the feeling was mutual. But for me, the comments taken by some as anti-Arsenal always had more to do with his attitude towards Wenger more than Mourinho’s views on the club itself.

Also, why would Mr Allardyce hate Arsenal as a club? He wasn’t even a Tottenham fan as a kid. He wasn’t even from North London. He came from the West Midlands and supported Wolves. How many Wolves fans have a passionate dislike of Arsenal? Unless there’s some obscure reason like his dad’s Wolves hero being Billy Wright and after we sacked him as manager he held it against us and brought his son up to feel the same way, my guess is there aren’t very many.

What I do suspect is that Mr Allardyce probably preferred Ferguson, a true born and bred Brit, to a fancy Dan foreigner like Wenger and his flash ballet dancer players. He may thus have preferred Ferguson’s Manchester United to be successful than Wenger’s poncey Arsenal. But, as a footballing professional, arguably shown by him now managing Wolves’ local rivals and doing everything he can to keep West Bromwich up, I’ve little or no doubt that Mr Allardyce wanted his then Bolton team to take points off everyone, including both Ferguson’s Manchester United as well as Wenger’s Arsenal.

Sorry, I struggle to accept that either Mourinho or Mr Allardyce have this die-hard natural hatred of Arsenal as a club.

EDIT: I’ve just noticed that the smiley by our friend from across the Atlantic appeared. I might try including one myself. :53big-emoticons:

Post #513118  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:50 pm 

Well that’s good news. Hopefully whatever the issue with my smilies was has been sorted out.

Post #513119  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:51 pm 

Mustafi might be off to Shalke, they are close to selling Kabak to Liverpool (£30m loan with obligation to buy) and Shalke want Mustafi to plug the gap

Post #513120  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:56 pm 

Seems likely that both AMN and Willock leaves on loan, but there are still rumours Nelson wants to stay and fight for his place. While I do admire his fighting spirit, it doesn't seem like a smart move on his part. He's basically got Saka, Pépé, Aubameyang, Willian and possibly Smith-Rowe and Ødegaard ahead of him, and it till take a lot of bad luck with injuries before he even gets a chance. There are no easy cup fixtures left so Arteta can't afford to give someone game time he hasn't earned for the remainder of the season.

[ 562427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12825, 12826, 12827, 12828, 12829, 12830, 12831 ... 14061  Next