Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], grantyboy, john1 and 270 guests

Post #497561  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:33 pm 

According to reports Arsenal have made a €20m bid for Palmeiras midfielder Danilo. Left footed CM, 20 years old

Post #497562  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
According to reports Arsenal have made a €20m bid for Palmeiras midfielder Danilo. Left footed CM, 20 years old

New one to me.

https://youtu.be/Pbkv4tnJv0A

Er. Palmeiras do not want to sell Danilo, who has a release clause of R$660 million (£86.18m).

Post #497563  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:45 pm 

Rich wrote:

That might be the one we are expecting although I’m a little surprised we would be willing to sign another 20 year old midfielder when we have one already and are very inexperienced

Post #497564  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

New one to me.

Er. Palmeiras do not want to sell Danilo, who has a release clause of R$660 million (£86.18m).

Sounds suspiciously like clickbait, a term fitting the vast majority of transfer gossip.

Post #497565  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
New one to me.

Sounds suspiciously like clickbait, a term fitting the vast majority of transfer gossip.

It does rather, doesn’t it.

I rarely look at YouTube clips of players. Impossible to gauge anything from what was shown there.

Post #497566  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:00 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
I like a bit of dignity in a champion so for me Sampras and Federer score high, and Connors and McEnroe don't.

If I have two favourite tennis players, they would be Connors and McEnroe. Made tennis as interesting as it can get in my view. When I played at school, my racket was a Wilson T2000 because Jimmy Connors used it.

Post #497567  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
New one to me.

Edus agent has strong links to the club the player is based at and ties all over Brazil.

Brazilian site Esportes wrote in January 2018 that Mattos and Joorabchian have had an “excellent relationship” since Mattos’s days at Cruzeiro (2012-2014). Meanwhile, the Iranian became involved in Palmeiras in January 2017, where Mattos was working at the time, following a meeting between the two in England, according to Globo Esporte.

Post #497568  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
I like a bit of dignity in a champion so for me Sampras and Federer score high, and Connors and McEnroe don't.

If I have two favourite tennis players, they would be Connors and McEnroe. Made tennis as interesting as it can get in my view. When I played at school, my racket was a Wilson T2000 because Jimmy Connors used it.

At school mine was/were Dunlop Maxply Fort. Absolutely the racquet to have.

Nowadays I use Head Radicals.

Post #497569  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:20 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I’m sure I had one of those as well. Which famous players used a Dunlop Maxply Fort? There must have been a reason why I asked my parents to get me one.

Post #497570  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Edus agent has strong links to the club the player is based at and ties all over Brazil.

Brazilian site Esportes wrote in January 2018 that Mattos and Joorabchian have had an “excellent relationship” since Mattos’s days at Cruzeiro (2012-2014). Meanwhile, the Iranian became involved in Palmeiras in January 2017, where Mattos was working at the time, following a meeting between the two in England, according to Globo Esporte.

Still sounds clickbaitish to me. Sorry but my natural inclination is to be suspicious of most, if not all, transfer gossip.

Post #497571  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I’m sure I had one of those as well. Which famous players used a Dunlop Maxply Fort? There must have been a reason why I asked my parents to get me one.

Pretty well all of them. It was the main racquet. The only sort of contender was the Slazenger No 1.

Post #497572  Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:13 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:

The oddest is Borg, who managed to dominate on Wimbledon on grass and the French open on clay but couldn't win the US open (which I think was played on clay then) and didn't bother with the Australian open (which was also played on grass back then). He also retired ridiculously early.

I suppose the other modern greats (Sampras, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic) have struggled to dominate on all surfaces. Federer had the misfortune of running up against Nadal who was unbeatable on clay.

You are right that Djokovic probably has an excellence chance this year and the clock is ticking for him.
Borg is my favourite player - I loved his public demeanour, his intense concentration and his ability to deliver under pressure. Before him the greats for me were all Aussies - the powerful Hoad, the artist Rosewall, the phenomenal Rocket Rod and the film star John Newcombe. I like a bit of dignity in a champion so for me Sampras and Federer score high, and Connors and McEnroe don't.

This is where I should sashay in , lean nonchalantly on a fence post , bit of long grass between the teeth and declare Budge Patty was my all time favourite ..... have the vaguely interested and maybe Old Man spitting up his morning Derby cake scrambling for Wikipedia .... WHO ...??????

Good call Old Man .... I thought likewise McEnroe ...great ad lib player absolutely destroyed Chris Lewis NZ 's "great white hope""in the Wimbledon Final one year ....but what a prize pr**ck .

I always wanted the Tennis Federation to appoint a 6' 4 " man mountain to officiate one of his matches , who would climb off his seat when the Mouth started a tantrum , kick him fair up the arse , then chuck him and his bag into the stands .

You mention Lew Hoad ......think I told you way back .... I was ball boy when a Jack Kramer troupe toured NZ one year ... Lew Hoad , Frank Sedgeman , Ashley Cooper and Mal Anderson played a doubles match ... in doors , wood surface .

Ashley Cooper first served ...it was a fault .... Hoad stepped aside ; let it go by ........ I wasn't paying attention ..... chatting to a mate in the crowd .

ball whistled by at God knows what speed ......hit me high in the upper groin area ; damn near plumb dead centre .........EEEE AHHHH ..... four thousand people gasped .

Lew said to me " Are you Okay " ..

I managed to croak EEEH...errr Yeah ....... had a monstrous great bruise for about a month .

Post #497573  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:07 am 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... r-25892592

And one of our "biggest" supporter "supports" our quest for Top 4 :42laughter:

Post #497574  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:04 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Please tell me this is a type of marajuana.

Post #497575  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:33 am 

He's described a girl we all knew in High School.

Post #497576  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:53 am 

Absolutely great day of test cricket.

Post #497577  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:14 am 

long time gooner wrote:

At the Op Shop last Thursday there was a bundle of old tennis / squash racquets taped together ..... one of them was a Maxply Fort in damn good condition too , thought about buying it for some misguided trip down memory lane ...... decided against it .

I used a Slazenger in my glory days anyway as did all the hot shot Aussies at the time .

Post #497578  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:44 am 

https://www.football365.com/news/conte- ... m-contract

Conte already preparing his get out of Spurs. He won’t get backed with the transfer money he wants and he’ll be off

Post #497579  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:44 am 

LA Rams won their division. :42laughter:

Post #497580  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:50 am 

kiwipete wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

At the Op Shop last Thursday there was a bundle of old tennis / squash racquets taped together ..... one of them was a Maxply Fort in damn good condition too , thought about buying it for some misguided trip down memory lane ...... decided against it .

I used a Slazenger in my glory days anyway as did all the hot shot Aussies at the time .

If they were merely taped together I’d be surprised if they hadn’t warped. I can still recall the heavy frames used to keep them in shape. I can also recall gut which had to be kept dry.

I don’t think that I’d enjoy playing with a Maxply Fort today. Wasn’t Bjorn Borg the last star player to compete with a wooden racquet?

Post #497581  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:02 pm 

Liverpool start 6 first team players and have a further 5 on the bench. Only 2 of those 11 had covid for Liverpool’s previous game and so would have been ruled out of Thursday’s League Cup game. None of the players who play today could have had covid at the time of our postponed Thursday cup game otherwise they would have been ruled out of this game today.
So yes they are playing a lot of youngsters today but they’ve named a full 11 plus 9 substitutes, including 2 senior GKs. Someone needs to be asking Liverpool why these 20 players couldn’t have played on Thursday.

Post #497582  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:12 pm 

I'm watching a documentary on Edward III. They say he's regarded as England's greatest king. Is this a common/popular opinion?

Post #497583  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:15 pm 

...and one of the coolest names ever is 'Longshanks'....lol..almost, but falling short of the footballer, Drinkwater.

Post #497584  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:42 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm watching a documentary on Edward III. They say he's regarded as England's greatest king. Is this a common/popular opinion?

Probably not. Thanks to our education system everyone will have heard of Henry 8, and hardly anyone will have heard of Edward 3 nor be able to tell you anything about him.

Post #497585  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:43 pm 

Hello Rich. This doesn't necessarily answer your question but I heard a football journalist saying how as the FA Cup/League Cup were different competitions and had different rules regarding player eligibility. If I remember correctly he said under the FA cup rules the list of potential players is much bigger.

Post #497586  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:43 pm 

Spurs are losing to morecambe

This would be the funniest thing ever if they can hold on

Post #497587  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:45 pm 

Oops. Our top of the table undefeated womens’ team are two down to bottom of the league Birmingham.

Post #497588  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:48 pm 

:22encouragement:
Rich wrote:
Liverpool start 6 first team players and have a further 5 on the bench. Only 2 of those 11 had covid for Liverpool’s previous game and so would have been ruled out of Thursday’s League Cup game. None of the players who play today could have had covid at the time of our postponed Thursday cup game otherwise they would have been ruled out of this game today.
So yes they are playing a lot of youngsters today but they’ve named a full 11 plus 9 substitutes, including 2 senior GKs. Someone needs to be asking Liverpool why these 20 players couldn’t have played on Thursday.

They have had several out of isolation over the last few days. 5 plus

The flat earth stuff needs to stop. We will be missing players today too. Millions of people are isolating up and down the country.

Post #497589  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
:22encouragement:
Rich wrote:

They have had several out of isolation over the last few days. 5 plus

The flat earth stuff needs to stop. We will be missing players today too. Millions of people are isolating up and down the country.

No conspiracy, just Liverpool have been allowed to bend the rules and none of it is transparent. Liverpool played plenty of youngsters in the previous rounds so they could have been used against us. There are no players who could have caught covid post the chelsea game and be available for this game - the isolation periods wouldn’t allow it.

If the league cup semi had been a game against a league two side Liverpool would have found a way to play it - no doubt

And as for it happening to us….it already has and we were made to play, and we will play our game today.

It isn’t a conspiracy to suggest with decent evidence that teams are using covid based excuses to not play certain games when it doesn’t suit them

Post #497590  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Morecambe with a lookalike Arsenal home kit as well

Post #497591  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:26 pm 

Tottenham just aren't a very good team without Kane and Son.

Post #497592  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Morecambe with a lookalike Arsenal home kit as well

20 minutes to go still losing.

Please god this would be too funny

Post #497593  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Thanks to our education system everyone will have heard of Henry 8, and hardly anyone will have heard of Edward 3 nor be able to tell you anything about him.

That's an own goal though as he never bothered setting up a Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account.

Post #497594  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

In fairness to Tottenham, they are good at this sort of thing. They lost to the lowest ranked team in the the Europa conference a few months ago and last year lost to a side whose manager was in prison.

Post #497595  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:34 pm 

Bollocks scored.

Post #497596  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:39 pm 

warrior wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Thanks to our education system everyone will have heard of Henry 8, and hardly anyone will have heard of Edward 3 nor be able to tell you anything about him.

That's an own goal though as he never bothered setting up a Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account.

¿Qué?

Post #497597  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:05 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:

¿Qué?

Edward 3 wasn't on social media so the kids would know nothing about him. :icon_rabbit:

Post #497598  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:17 pm 

Leno, Cédric, White, Holding, Tavares, Lakonga, Patino, Saka, Ødegaard, Martinelli, Nketiah.

Post #497599  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:19 pm 

Subs: Ramsdale, Tierney, Chambers, Mari, Lacazette, Kolasinac, Biereth, Salah-Eddine, Hutchinson

Post #497600  Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:22 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Oops. Our top of the table undefeated womens’ team are two down to bottom of the league Birmingham.

Very disappointing. Lost 2-0 to the bottom team.

[ 529274 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12437, 12438, 12439, 12440, 12441, 12442, 12443 ... 13232  Next