Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 340 guests

Post #482001  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 am 

socrates wrote:
Even with Aubameyang we won't finish top four, he can't play in the europa league and we are about to lose Giroud who may have had a big role in our attempts to win the Europa League which is now our only hope of a top four spot.

But honestly socrates, who cares about top 4 at this point? What is it going to achieve? The only argument I can see for why reaching the CL is important is to attract good players. We seem to be pretty ok in that department anyway. The only goal remaining this season is to figure out a formation that works and get this group of players to gel. Hopefully we’ll see a new manager in the summer, who can continue working with a somewhat settled core of players.

Post #482002  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:23 am 

john1 wrote:
socrates wrote:
Given Lacazette's form, he was appalling last night (as they all were), Giroud might well have found himself the main man again. Several inviting crosses fizzed across the 6 yard box last night and Lacazette was nowhere to be seen. Bizarre.

Hi Soc; my earlier post was a bit of a rant but I believe that based on evidence seen so far, Giroud offers quite a bit more than Lacazette. Some may say Lacazette's not getting the service (as I did a few weeks back in terms of getting passes to him for runs into the channels), but good/great players make things happen themselves. I don't think Lacazette is up to it.

Hi john1,

I think what we have seen so far is that given time and space Lacazette is an acomplished finisher, probably the best we have, but in the PL you don't often get time or space. He isn't quite sharp enough in the penalty box to get to the ball first in the way that Aguero or Kane do, he's not slow but I haven't really seen him outpace opponents and he's not really able to bully opponents either. His hold-up play is a mixed bag between very good and appalling. His movement has been mostly good but at the moment I'd say he's an "almost" player, he's almost a good player.

Post #482003  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:26 am 

So I very much enjoyed Hamilton at the weekend.

Particularly moving for me was the part when George Washington realises he must step down through a graceful recognition that his time has come.

If I say goodbye, the nation learns to move on
It outlives me when I'm gone
Like the scripture says
Everyone shall sit under their own vine and fig tree
And no one shall make them afraid
They'll be safe in the nation we've made
I wanna sit under my own vine and fig tree
A moment alone in the shade
At home in this nation we've made
One last time

One last time

Though, in reviewing the incidents of my administration
I am unconscious of intentional error
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects
Not to think it probable that I may have committed many errors
I shall also carry with me

The hope
That my country will
View them with indulgence
And that
After forty five years of my life dedicated to its service with an upright zeal
The faults of incompetent abilities will be consigned to oblivion
As I myself must soon be to the mansions of rest
I anticipate with pleasing expectation that retreat
In which I promise myself to realize the sweet enjoyment of partaking
In the midst of my fellow citizens, the benign influence of good laws
Under a free government, the ever-favorite object of my heart
And the happy reward, as I trust
Of our mutual cares, labors, and dangers

Of course he COULD have said: *%^@ that, retirement is death, give me another 8 million that I don't know how to spend because I have zero imagination, I'll take the country down with me as it is tied to my selfish myopia, you know nothings.

Personally I would go and sit in sweet enjoyment under a vine and fig tree though.

Post #482004  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 am 

lomekian wrote:
I don't know why people are talking about Wenger-isation. What does that even mean any more?

Now? Does anyone even know what the team is trying to do now? I see lots of good footballers who don't have a clue about what to do ... And quite apart from that, and rather more damning, I see this team and see most players performance levels deteriorating and a total lack of clarity about what the aim is on the pitch. The players look lost, and there is only person who can take responsibility for that.

That's a fairly good summary of what I mean by Wengerisation.

Post #482005  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:08 am 

I see that Arsenal's benevolent dictator continues to demonstrate that his once revolutionary and successful approach no longer works in the modern world. And while he desperately clings to power believing he can recreate his heyday with his pure ideals, EVERYONE else just wishes he would leave. However, If he misses out on the CL again even the supportive elites who keep him in power may finally pull the plug on him.

Thank you all for indulging me in my GCSE politics homework.

Post #482006  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:16 am 

I can't believe we are about to sign one of the most prolific strikers in World football yet today im not particularly excited as we are just going to drop him into a horribly dysfunctional Wenger team.

Post #482007  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:22 am 

Bored wrote:
I can't believe we are about to sign one of the most prolific strikers in World football yet today im not particularly excited as we are just going to drop him into a horribly dysfunctional Wenger team.

I'm clinging to the hope that we'll get a new manager in the summer, which I still think is very much possible. There will always be need for good players, and it's also important to show we're still a destination for top talent. But yeah, after last night it's hard to see Aubameyang achieve much this season.

Post #482008  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:37 am 

I must have missed Hoy's posts after last nights game.

Everton(h) and Spurs (a) next up. What could go wrong. In all the excitement you may have missed the fact that AW has missed his number one PKI. We can no longer reach 85 points even although we did not have any CL.

If you were Özil would you sign on again?

Post #482009  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:45 am 

I completely agree Haz. I'm just annoyed that despite some very good signings this month, last nights performance was further evidence that Arsenals current issues are systemic which the transfer market is going to struggle to solve.

Post #482010  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:03 am 

This is he report of Aubameyang last game for Dortmund.
http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/borussia ... 6q96fqhwk7

You will note that his manager suggests he cannot perform if he does not get service in the box. So given the service we currently provide to Lacazette how do you think he will perform.

Post #482011  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:04 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Reports in Germany says he has already decided to sign on!

If he does, how would that affect peoples view of him? To me, he’s a player that is a bit hard to really warm up to personality wise (unlike Henry, Adams, Clichy etc) but as a player I think he’s hugely underrated and I disagree completely with the opinion that he hasn’t delivered since we signed him. Since he arrived he’s created more chances and assisted more goals than anyone in the league. The fact that we’ve been a bit of a mess as a team is not on him.

Post #482012  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:14 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I must have missed Hoy's posts after last nights game.

ZZZZ

(He’s not very staunch in that regard).

Post #482013  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:20 am 

I saw the video that was 'accidentally' uploaded by our social media team. Wenger admits we've signed Aubameyang and how pleased he is that is finalised and complete. They knew what they were doing when they uploaded that. Trying to draw the sting a bit.

Post #482014  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:22 am 

I saw Hamilton over the Christmas holidays. I really liked it which surprised me a bit as there was soooo much hype surrounding it.

Post #482015  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:22 am 

Aubameyang undergoes medical according to "Trending on skysports.com"

Post #482016  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:23 am 

Not that it counts for owt, but players I am sick of the sight of in our shirt: Mustafi (the b****** son of Stepanovs), Xhaka (a poor imitation of Wilkins), Chambers (young, dumb and full of...... errors). Members of playing staff rapidly approaching the status of previously mentioned, Ramsey (just do the basics well, please), Bellerin (there's a player in there, find him quick....... and get your hair cut), Elneny (not your fault, but please find another club), Welbeck (thanks for proving me right), Čech (once great keeper, no more).

Quite the mess.

Post #482017  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:24 am 

I really really hope he replaces Xhaka.

Post #482018  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:26 am 

had to laugh..

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/958453900327247873

Post #482019  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 am 

bubblechris wrote:

Elneny, Wilshere, Ramsey would be my midfield going forward. Would be tempted to try out Maitland-Niles as well. Xhaka needs to be dropped for a while, still think there's a player in there (he showed that in the second half of last season) but he's not good enough at the moment.

Post #482020  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:34 am 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Not that it counts for owt, but players I am sick of the sight of in our shirt: Mustafi (the b****** son of Stepanovs), Xhaka (a poor imitation of Wilkins), Chambers (young, dumb and full of...... errors). Members of playing staff rapidly approaching the status of previously mentioned, Ramsey (just do the basics well, please), Bellerin (there's a player in there, find him quick....... and get your hair cut), Elneny (not your fault, but please find another club), Welbeck (thanks for proving me right), Čech (once great keeper, no more).

Quite the mess.

Hey PG - Would you like me to fix your avatar for you ?
Edit - Never mind - I mounted the image locally for you - fixed now

Rog ...

Post #482021  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:44 am 

Hazuki wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Elneny, Wilshere, Ramsey would be my midfield going forward. Would be tempted to try out Maitland-Niles as well. Xhaka needs to be dropped for a while, still think there's a player in there (he showed that in the second half of last season) but he's not good enough at the moment.

Aren't Ramsey and Wishire on the same team the same as Gerard and Lampard in the same team? Can't remember a game they played together that I could say well done Arsenal.

Post #482022  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'll continue to say the big surprise in the top 6 club league are Spurs. Everyone thought they'd be challenging for the for title and be in the top 2 or 3 and they are sitting in 5th. Had we won, we'd have been level with them. The fact we have played so badly and lost so many matches and gave up so many goals and are only 3 points behind them says much more about how badly Spurs have been playing than how badly we have been playing. They are 5 points from CL qualification and Liverpool are playing decently without Coutinho.

Maybe Spurs will eke out a CL place but it will be touch and go. We may even finish above them when all is said and done.

Not at all. Its a huge step to from 'contender' to top dog. Its not just Spurs that are finding it hard to make this step. Liverpool and Arsenal are also in the perpetual 'not quite' category. Spurs best chance (and ours and Liverpool's) to win the league was obviously 2015/2016 when the big three were all well off their game, and to a lesser extent in 2014/5 and 2016/7. I fear that window is now closed.

Post #482023  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:
I don't know why people are talking about Wenger-isation. What does that even mean any more?

Until maybe 2 1/2 years ago we at least had a style that we attempted to play and until maybe 5 years ago it was at least reasonably clear, coherent and more often than not pretty effective.

Now? Does anyone even know what the team is trying to do now? I see lots of good footballers who don't have a clue about what to do in terms of structure, defensive positioning or attacking patterns of play, bar give it to Özil and hope something amazing happens.

As most of you know, I've been stupendously patient with the manager. But last year I felt he should be encouraged to walk on a high, but an FA Cup win against London rivals is no small thing, particularly as it was such a brilliant and convincing win. This year, unless we somehow win the Europa League (which selling Giroud would massively undermine), I want him out the door. I always said in cold hard analysis, despite the stagnation, his achievements had plateaued at just about good enough to keep his job. Last year was pushing that with the Cup Final an excuse for the board to cover their own passivity and cowardice. This year, if he doesn't win the Europa League it has to be seen as a failure by every objective criteria, and the credit in the bank is no longer recent enough to preach patience.

This isn't wanting 'My Arsenal' back or thinking we should necessarily be winning the big prizes. But our resources mean we should be able to compete with anyone other than Utd, City, PSG, Real Madrid, Barca & perhaps Bayern on an equal footing. And quite apart from that, and rather more damning, I see this team and see most players performance levels deteriorating and a total lack of clarity about what the aim is on the pitch. The players look lost, and there is only person who can take responsibility for that.

Lom to clarify its complete meaning for clarity

Wengerised

noun
A professional footballer with plenty of excellent raw technical attributes unable to fulfil its potential due to lack of coaching direction at management level.
E.g "oi mate that Aaron Ramsey has been properly facking wengerised"

Note to be confused with Wengerized (archaic):
more or less the opposite of the above. Went out of use in 2005.

Post #482024  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Aren't Ramsey and Wishire on the same team the same as Gerard and Lampard in the same team? Can't remember a game they played together that I could say well done Arsenal.

I wouldn't play them together in a midfield two, but I think it could work well with someone doing the job of a sitting DM. They have different qualities to bring to the side, Wilshere is better in possession, and Ramsey is great at finding space and making forward runs. It's worth a shot at least.

Post #482025  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:01 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Reports in Germany says he has already decided to sign on!

If he does, how would that affect peoples view of him? To me, he’s a player that is a bit hard to really warm up to personality wise (unlike Henry, Adams, Clichy etc) but as a player I think he’s hugely underrated and I disagree completely with the opinion that he hasn’t delivered since we signed him. Since he arrived he’s created more chances and assisted more goals than anyone in the league. The fact that we’ve been a bit of a mess as a team is not on him.

Best player at the club by a mile but if we do not have other quality players around the park the opposition will simply triple mark him out of the game.

Post #482026  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 am 

Didn't hear it myself but apparently a caller to Talksport said: 'If Wenger coached a fish, it would drown.' :laughing7:

Post #482027  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:08 am 

It certainly makes me wonder what the manager and coaches do at the Arsenal to earn their money.
Bould a good defender but the team have no idea how to do this simple art and big Jens turns up this season and we all saw how the keeper performed last night.
And of course we have a manager who can't manage.

Post #482028  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:16 am 

Aubrey signed

Post #482029  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:27 am 

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Arsenal have signed 28-year old Gabonese forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Dortmund for a £55.6m initial fee.
He becomes signing number 5 this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£700k so far.

Post #482030  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:33 am 

warrior wrote:
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Arsenal have signed 28-year old Gabonese forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Dortmund for a £55.6m initial fee.
He becomes signing number 5 this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£700k so far.

So Stan can still have a bit of a party with £700k.

Oh, and of course there's the fee he gets for Giroud

Post #482031  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
However id be against a Giroud Luiz swap deal. Luiz is the most gung ho centre half ive ever seen and I couldn’t imagine him under a side managed by Wenger. Every game would be a kamikaze mission we may as well get the stadium bars serving absinthe

I don't know. I like Luiz. Spirited lad and a fine player when not acting like a loon. Having a nutter might not be a bad thing at this point!

Post #482032  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:12 pm 

warrior wrote:
Hey PG - Would you like me to fix your avatar for you ?
Edit - Never mind - I mounted the image locally for you - fixed now

Rog ...

Thank you kind sir :53big-emoticons:

Post #482033  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:19 pm 

Our 1st 11?

Mkhitaryan Aubameyang Lacazette
Wilshere Özil Ramsey
Monreal Mustafi Koscielny Bellerin
Čech

Post #482034  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 pm 

Bored wrote:

Bingo.
Sanchez is a fighter and he often saw a squad that wasn't willing to fight. I am sympathetic to why he wanted to go. I don't respect where he went.

Post #482035  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 pm 

The great team we had from '98 onward had a British core who wouldn't allow their teammates to be cowardly. Big Tone wasn't having it. Keown wasn't having it. Henry, Vieira, and Pires who came to us big on skills and frankly low on bravery, even he became a fighter as did Bergkamp who toughened up his game in the EPL.

Since that core left, we have lost that in the squad. The Eduardo broken leg game epitomizes it. We should have won the title that season.

I said this a few years ago and truly believe it. We could bring in Messi and it wouldn't do much long term good. You can't buy your way out of a lack of belief. It starts from the top down. The players respect Wenger but there is something missing. Something that he hasn't been able to instill in the team and I am not of the mind that it wasn't Wenger that instilled 'The Invincibles' spirit but it was a combination of having that British core wedded with continental skill.

Post #482036  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:33 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Our 1st 11?

Wilshere Özil Ramsey
Čech

Whatever side Wenger puts out, he'll make it dis-functional. That's what Arsene does.

Post #482037  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pm 

Arsenal FC news: Mesut Özil set to sign new contract after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang arrival

https://talksport.com/football/arsenal- ... ng-arrival

Post #482038  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:55 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=FOMoaSljW60

This is funny (NSFW) what a bunch of manufactured nonsense that was over Neville's obviously jokey tweets.

Post #482039  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Our 1st 11?

Wilshere Özil Ramsey
Čech

Whatever side Wenger puts out, he'll make it dis-functional. That's what Arsene does.

Be interesting to see if Wenger will go full Keegan.

Post #482040  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm 

Should be feeling overjoyed with PEA completing but somehow I feel all :20hospitals:

I'm sure AW will start him on he bench and piss him off just for the fun of it.

[ 572008 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12048, 12049, 12050, 12051, 12052, 12053, 12054 ... 14301  Next