Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 282 guests

Post #500441  Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:51 pm 

So I hope all you groovy forkers in the UK are getting ready to get out there and BANG YER PANS for the NHS.

Post #500442  Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:55 pm 

It's a huge undertaking but the very fact that they are still building it when everywhere else is shut down in LA, tells me, Kroenke has lined up his political power brokers. Inglewood is far easier than LA proper to get the okay on things.

Attachments:

Post #500443  Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:01 pm 

Chargers don't have a much of a following by the way. LA is a strange place for sports. Many fans, the older ones are Raiders fans even though they haven't been in LA since 1994 having come down from Oakland and then gone back and are now in Las Vegas. Still plenty of Raiders hats and jerseys. Rams are well supported having spent their best years in the city before moving to St. Louis and now back. (originally from Cleveland in 1946). The Chargers came up from San Diego and are still seen as a San Diego team to many. Transplanted fans who grew up in San Diego are their real support.

The league desperately wants this to work as its the 2nd biggest media market in the country and therefore a huge increase in revenues for the league. So, LA has gone from no football team for a number of years to 2.

Post #500444  Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Nearly 900 more UK coronavirus deaths recorded in past 24hrs.
Total heading over 8000.
UK now has 5th highest death toll in the world, and is hurtling towards being highest in Europe because Johnson and Cummings didn’t take it seriously

I hate to say it, but those figures are under-stated. The figures only include deaths recorded in hospitals. It would be exceedingly difficult to get an accurate figure for deaths in the community but why are deaths in care homes not included? Is it due to fear of panic? Maybe shock is needed to get the message to people to abide by the guidelines.

Post #500445  Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:00 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Total heading over 8000.
UK now has 5th highest death toll in the world, and is hurtling towards being highest in Europe because Johnson and Cummings didn’t take it seriously

I hate to say it, but those figures are under-stated. The figures only include deaths recorded in hospitals. It would be exceedingly difficult to get an accurate figure for deaths in the community but why are deaths in care homes not included? Is it due to fear of panic? Maybe shock is needed to get the message to people to abide by the guidelines.

People are too stupid to listen anyway.

Look at the 5G stuff ? Mobile phone masts damaged and Vodafone engineers performing work in street cabinets getting assaulted.

People these days embrace stupidity. Willingly.

I’d feel sorry for the governments challenge if I don’t know they played a massive part in creating this false reality

Post #500446  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:15 am 

:7laughter:

Post #500447  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:26 am 

DHD wrote:
So I hope all you groovy forkers in the UK are getting ready to get out there and BANG YER PANS for the NHS.

Well I did as you asked, and ‘‘banged my pans” in the street. Loudly too.

But perhaps I should have taken the beans and chips out first. What a mess.

Post #500448  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:37 am 

Interesting and long video interview with Mikel Arteta posted up on Sky Sports news this morning. (Sorry but I don’t know if it’s possible to post a link).

Post #500449  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:56 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Interesting and long video interview with Mikel Arteta posted up on Sky Sports news this morning. (Sorry but I don’t know if it’s possible to post a link).

This goes here :

Post #500450  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:02 am 

john1 wrote:
DHD wrote:

Well I did as you asked, and ‘‘banged my pans” in the street. Loudly too.

But perhaps I should have taken the beans and chips out first. What a mess.

If I was able to post smilies that reply would get a couple John1.

Post #500451  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:04 am 

warrior wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

This goes here :

Ah, neat. Thanks for that. I had watched it via the Sky Sports App rather than YouTube.

Post #500452  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:06 am 

It’s reported that for the UK it is now recommended that face masks are used indoors.

Not to stop Covid-19, but to stop eating. :42laughter:

Post #500453  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:18 am 

So our recruitment person was correct 100%

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... Perez.html

Lets be honest rather than say the club ignored him - Wenger who wanted to control everything signed them.

Post #500454  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:25 am 

If they owe this type of money how are they within the rules. Particularly after the way this season is going.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... oronavirus

Mind you we owe over 50mil

Post #500455  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:35 am 

Post #500456  Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:54 am 

Quiet in here.

Last post I can see is Ex’s from yesterday morning

Post #500457  Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:09 pm 

john1 wrote:
Quiet in here.

Last post I can see is Ex’s from yesterday morning

Over 24 hours without a post.

Post #500458  Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:23 pm 

So - positives to be taken from the current circumstances?

Here’s a starter: I haven’t listened to Talk Shite for weeks now. Not once. Are they still broadcasting?

No more inane pronouncements from dim-witted has-been ex-pros who believe theirs’ are the only opinions that count. No more special insights on ‘ breaking news’ from £50 never-was rent-a-gobs. No more Fat Forking Sam. No more Jason Cnuty Cundy.

Not everything about the sports lockdown is bad.

Post #500459  Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:13 pm 

DHD wrote:

Here’s a starter: I haven’t listened to Talk Shite for weeks now. Not once. Are they still broadcasting?

No more inane pronouncements from dim-witted has-been ex-pros who believe theirs’ are the only opinions that count. No more special insights on ‘ breaking news’ from £50 never-was rent-a-gobs. No more Fat Forking Sam. No more Jason Cnuty Cundy.

Well I've given the kitchen table and chairs a paint, the garden is very tidy, and I've pretty much given up watching any news channels as they were driving me up the wall.

Post #500460  Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:28 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

Well I've given the kitchen table and chairs a paint, the garden is very tidy, and I've pretty much given up watching any news channels as they were driving me up the wall.

I’ve dug a vegetable patch and got rid of an old bambooy type bush - no idea what veg I’m going to grow, as I’ve got absolutely zero knowledge about how to do so.

I’ve also stopped listening to the news, and better still stopped looking at Facebook. People I’ve previously thought of as fairly intelligent have shown an unnerving ability to be taken in by all sorts of fake posts offering all sorts of ways how to combat coronavirus, and what the causes of it are. The most prevalent one being that it’s caused by 5g. One newish mobile telephone mast, which isn’t 5g capable, has been burnt down locally.

This pandemic is certainly showing the good and the bad of society.

On the plus side, we’ve got to know all our neighbors far better. The Thursday night claps are pretty well observed here, and my use of pans last Thursday (inspired by DHD), certainly attracted lots of thumbs up. Maybe there’ll be a few being washed and cleaned ready for next week, who knows.

On the negative side, our road has gone from pretty dead yesterday, to being extremely busy today. You could be forgiven for thinking the lockdown had been lifted.

Still, I live in hope. Stay safe everyone.

Post #500461  Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:44 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Total heading over 8000.

Different issues here. The epidemic seems to be contained (although it is hard to tell at this early stage) thanks to a strict lockdown, but the burning question is whether social security measures can be stepped up in time and adequately otherwise people are going to starve. There is a sense that this crisis could be a defining one for the country. I'm hopeful that Cyril Ramaphosa can make the real leadership he has shown in this crisis a habit!

Post #500462  Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:59 pm 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... r-11971032

Unbelievable.

We will never get this thing under control with that kind of mentality.

Post #500463  Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:07 pm 

socrates wrote:
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-shut-down-494-house-parties-in-four-days-in-greater-manchester-11971032

Unbelievable.

We will never get this thing under control with that kind of mentality.

Lots of posts on social media Thursday night saying the a30 down to Cornwall was really busy.

Notice Ian Stone of Tuesday club fame saying his neighbours had people round this weekend.

Doesn’t surprise me tbh, you had people on here downplaying the virus since the start and most people here are reasonably screwed on.

Post #500464  Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:12 pm 

Sylvestre tells the difference between Fergie and Wenger

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/09/mikael-s ... -12533884/
Mikael Silvestre reveals key difference between Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger

Post #500465  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:56 am 

http://dailycannon.com/2020/04/juventus ... is-summer/

Unfortuntely, his contribution to the team is not as significant as desired. He does not have the same speed of thought and vision of Cazorla. IMO, let him go and sign a bigger centre-mid. Meantime, work harder on Willock. The kid has promise but has been playing with less confidence.

Post #500466  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:58 am 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/04/11/r ... -to-milan/

Hope he gets the job at AC. And take Ceballos along too.

Wishing him the best, not slating him.

Post #500467  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:41 am 

gooner7 wrote:
http://dailycannon.com/2020/04/juventus-willing-to-offer-e40m-for-ceballos-this-summer/

Unfortuntely, his contribution to the team is not as significant as desired. He does not have the same speed of thought and vision of Cazorla. IMO, let him go and sign a bigger centre-mid. Meantime, work harder on Willock. The kid has promise but has been playing with less confidence.

I agree he is not good enough. We need a good creative midfielder - but its not him. All okay over your way. Do you think the virus is being controlled as best as they can.

Post #500468  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:05 am 

Post #500469  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:11 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
http://dailycannon.com/2020/04/juventus-willing-to-offer-e40m-for-ceballos-this-summer/

I agree he is not good enough. We need a good creative midfielder - but its not him. All okay over your way. Do you think the virus is being controlled as best as they can.

We dropped the ball along the way, and now in a partial lock down. I fear it will get much worse before it gets better for us. Fortunately, everyone I know is ok. Sad for those who aren't. Nobody deserves this. Hope all is well and good for you and family.

Post #500470  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:01 pm 

I knew the first 3, off by 1 on the 4th question. Missed the 5th, knew the 6th, missed the 7th because I wasn't sure what cups they excluded or not Charity Shield.

Post #500471  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:25 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

We dropped the ball along the way, and now in a partial lock down. I fear it will get much worse before it gets better for us. Fortunately, everyone I know is ok. Sad for those who aren't. Nobody deserves this. Hope all is well and good for you and family.

Hi g7,

We waited too long to go into lockdown and the lockdown itself has not been stringent enough. Too many people willing to flout the rules because there are not really any consequences.

The inevitable public enquiry that follows this (if it ever ends) will not look favorably on the Govt, it's disregard of warnings coming out of China and consequent failure to act in a timely manner. Not to mention the inability to provide adequate PPE for frontline workers and others needing it desperately. They have bllod on their hands.

Why we didn't shut our borders I have no idea. It's the first thing I would have done.

Post #500472  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:26 pm 

Three celebrities have died today. Former Chelsea keeper Peter Bonetti and racing driver Stirling Moss after ‘long illnesses’ (that term often means cancer) and comedian (one of the Goodies) Tim Brooke-Taylor who had Coronavirus.

Post #500473  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:12 pm 

socrates wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Hi g7,

We waited too long to go into lockdown and the lockdown itself has not been stringent enough. Too many people willing to flout the rules because there are not really any consequences.

The inevitable public enquiry that follows this (if it ever ends) will not look favorably on the Govt, it's disregard of warnings coming out of China and consequent failure to act in a timely manner. Not to mention the inability to provide adequate PPE for frontline workers and others needing it desperately. They have bllod on their hands.

Why we didn't shut our borders I have no idea. It's the first thing I would have done.

The world will be so different, post-Covid.

Post #500474  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Three celebrities have died today. Former Chelsea keeper Peter Bonetti and racing driver Stirling Moss after ‘long illnesses’ (that term often means cancer) and comedian (one of the Goodies) Tim Brooke-Taylor who had Coronavirus.

sad

Post #500475  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:24 pm 

Video recreation if Daz and Chocolate Gooner made amends or Abu and Cannon Balls.

Post #500476  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:26 pm 

Soc why do you get so involved with things you know nothing about. Have your say but why criticise with venom when you know nothing.

Boris followed scientific and medical advice despite what people say about herding etc. If they had shutdown immediately things would have been worse now. First off they would not have been able to test so many people. Second they would not have had a stock of PPE and third people in general would have been so fed up of the lock down that they would have ignored suggestions at an earlier time when it would have been worse for them to do so.

Last thing on this is the Government are not responsible for the lack of PPE, it is the responsibility of the purchaasing departments to buy and supply the hospitals and it is the responsibility of the NHS who cannot I believe interfere in the processes and arrangements made by them.

Post #500477  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:48 pm 

I had very high hopes for Jack. I thought we were looking at a future Arsenal captain when I saw him as a teenager. I wish him well. I hope it all works out for him. It's hard to believe he's 28.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/hasn-t-wor ... 43134.html
'It hasn’t worked out for me at West Ham' - Wilshere reflects on decision to leave Arsenal

Post #500478  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:45 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Soc why do you get so involved with things you know nothing about. Have your say but why criticise with venom when you know nothing.

Boris followed scientific and medical advice despite what people say about herding etc. If they had shutdown immediately things would have been worse now. First off they would not have been able to test so many people. Second they would not have had a stock of PPE and third people in general would have been so fed up of the lock down that they would have ignored suggestions at an earlier time when it would have been worse for them to do so.

Last thing on this is the Government are not responsible for the lack of PPE, it is the responsibility of the purchaasing departments to buy and supply the hospitals and it is the responsibility of the NHS who cannot I believe interfere in the processes and arrangements made by them.

Erm.....wasn't your take on the virus that it was a massive overreaction and it would be better to let it run its course, killing hundreds of thousands of elderly and those with underlying health issues in the process? Or in the words of Scrooge "let them die and decrease the surplus population".

The Govt pays its scientific and medical advisors to give them supposed worldclass advice on matters such as this, especially matters like this. If the advisors got it wrong then the buck still stops with the Govt who employs them. Hundreds of scientists wrote an open letter to the Govt accusing them of risking more lives than was necessary by not reacting quickly enough to the growing danger.

Our death rate per day is now looking likely to overtake both Italy and Spain. We may well end up being the worst affected country in europe.

We failed to heed the warnings coming out of China and thus failed to take the virus seriously enough quickly enough. Only a few weeks ago the advisors were still classing the virus as low risk. We could have done so many things so much earlier. We ignored advice that widespread testing was the key to controlling the outbreak, we thus failed to order testing kits early enough and found ourselves at the back of the queue as a consequence, something that the govt has already admitted. I suspect the same thing happened with PPE.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... vice-wrong

I know that it is easy to say all this in hindsight and that this in an unprecendented situation but I do not believe the Govt has covered itself in glory.

Post #500479  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:54 pm 

socrates wrote:
The inevitable public enquiry that follows this (if it ever ends) will not look favorably on the Govt.

The difficulty with any public enquiry will be making the findings totally objective. That won’t be as easy or straightforward as it sounds on paper because the people involved will inevitably have their opinions shaped by their own views, beliefs, preferences and ideas. That applies to anyone, be they academics of any discipline, politicians, people working in relevant areas, or whatever. This could well make the findings subjective, which in turn could undermine the reliability of the findings.

The government will definitely be able to provide reasonable explanations why they did what they did at particular times, just as others will definitely be able to provide reasonable criticisms for those decisions.

There won’t be DNA type evidence to help decide what should and equally what shouldn’t have been done at any point in time. Public enquiry findings will be driven by the choice of individuals conducting the enquiry. If it does happen, will the state will be paying for any public equity? If so, will it be the government who chooses those individuals?

Post #500480  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:14 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Are you a Minster in the government trying to cover your arse. Because basically none of the things you have stated seem to accord with the actual factual situation from the UK.

I watched other countries with interest because we chose a different path and thankfully started shutting down earlier and basically acknowledging a pandemic before it was called by WHO. Even then a few thought it was a bit late. Our borders are closed and indeed even a number of internal borders are shut. You cannot travel from NSW to Queensland or NT etc. Unfortunately the one big error was allowing the Ruby Princess passengers to walk free otherwise our numbers would have been better.

There are fines for breaching the rules in shut down and they are being issued. people have been pretty good at being confined to home other than for food, medical or exercise.

Because I see people being re-infected in places like South Korea i have my personal doubts whether we will get a vaccine (I have no medical qualifications). May have to get numerous vaccine injections to get immunity. I think the hope in Australia at the moment is to eliminate it by letting it basically die out but this would mean remaining a closed country for a long time.

[ 560837 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12509, 12510, 12511, 12512, 12513, 12514, 12515 ... 14021  Next