Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], grantyboy, john1 and 281 guests

Post #490241  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:50 pm 

So, what's the minimum Arteta has to achieve to keep his job?

Post #490242  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:12 pm 

So, I guess PSG wins the Messi lottery. If they are halfway decent businessmen, they will recoup most if not all of the wage, etc. And if Messi has good lawyers, he'll get a cut of the merchandizing, etc.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58159464

Post #490243  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:32 pm 

New 3rd kit which will be worn vs Brentford.

We’ve maybe only got somewhere between 19-23 away games this season, and assuming we’ll change the kits again next season you wonder how many times we’ll actually wear this?

Attachments:

Post #490244  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:40 pm 

torrid kit...er..ah..turd kit..er..ah...third kit.

Post #490245  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:28 pm 

A few bits of news coming out about Ødegaard. He's concerned he won't get playing time at Real Madrid (most people could have told him that) and Madrid don't want an unhappy player so will sell him. Fee between 40-50m euros, which at the bottom end is £33m. Pitching that against £60m+ Maddison then it is a no brainer, we need to go and get Ødegaard back.

Post #490246  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
A few bits of news coming out about Ødegaard. He's concerned he won't get playing time at Real Madrid (most people could have told him that) and Madrid don't want an unhappy player so will sell him. Fee between 40-50m euros, which at the bottom end is £33m. Pitching that against £60m+ Maddison then it is a no brainer, we need to go and get Ødegaard back.

I agree with the general points being made about us being too slow in the transfer market, but Ødegaard is a situation where I think a little patience is warranted. At the start of summer the mentioned price was aroud £50m, but if Real are looking to sell that price will come down as the window draws to a close. It's always preferable to get players in for pre-season, but the main thing is just getting them at all.

Post #490247  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:01 pm 

Ramsdale was not named in Sheff Utd's League cup tie tonight, with many speculating it is so he isn't then cup tied if another club came in for him.
This continues to be a strong rumour I struggle to get on board with or see any logic in for 2 reasons.
1) The price is supposedly somewhere in the region of £30m. If we're spending £30m on a back up GK then we damn well better have all other areas of the team fixed, because by all accounts we could have Onana for under £10m, or probably any number of experienced older GK for next to nothing who would 'do a job' without much expectation they will play many games and push more of our budget to solving RB, CM, AM and striker issues
2) I've not really considered Ramsdale to be that good. Is he 5th choice England GK?

Would we be trying to sign him if he wasn't English?

Post #490248  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:18 pm 

tomc wrote:
david.d wrote:
Not feeling optimistic at all about the upcoming season.
It just feels like more of the same old same old.
The 3 signings so far look good and I'm happy we look like we have changed the profile of our signings but its clearly not enough in terms of what we needed to do.
I cant believe that 3 days away from the start of the season we still havent addressed a back up keeper. Absolutely crazy. I mean what the hell are arteta and Edu actually doing?????
We badly need another creative body. Emile Smith Rowe cannot do it all on his own yet once again still waiting for something to happen.
Maddison Ødegaard yet you have a player Aouor who 12 months ago we desperately wanted and who we bid for who is now available for 25 million. Half the price.
Why not snap him up then use the rest of the money to get a keeper(Onana available for 6million)and right back or another body in midfield.
I just dont get what Edu is waiting for.
Frustrating and depressing to think that we have no chance of top 4 as things stand.
Top 6 is the best we can hope for.
How we have fallen.

If Arsenal line up on Friday with Aubameyang on the left wing and Lacazette in the middle I'm not sure I'll even bother watching. It's time Arteta had the bollocks to just leave one of them out. As for Elneny, if he is even on the bench.... :8angers:

Oh Tom dont....
The experiment of Aubameyang on the left wing has to stop.
2 pacy tricky players on the wings and one of Aubameyang , Lacazette or Balogun through the middle.
Arteta will just come across as *%^@*** clueless if he persists with that nonsense.

Post #490249  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ramsdale was not named in Sheff Utd's League cup tie tonight, with many speculating it is so he isn't then cup tied if another club came in for him.
This continues to be a strong rumour I struggle to get on board with or see any logic in for 2 reasons.
1) The price is supposedly somewhere in the region of £30m. If we're spending £30m on a back up GK then we damn well better have all other areas of the team fixed, because by all accounts we could have Onana for under £10m, or probably any number of experienced older GK for next to nothing who would 'do a job' without much expectation they will play many games and push more of our budget to solving RB, CM, AM and striker issues
2) I've not really considered Ramsdale to be that good. Is he 5th choice England GK?

It just defies belief what on earth they see in Ramsdale to warrant wasting 30 million on him.
We could pick up an experienced keeper like Fraser Forster as back up.
I've always liked him.
Would love to know the thinking as to why they wont snap up Onana.
Ramsdale is utter tripe

Post #490250  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:20 pm 

david.d wrote:
Rich wrote:

It just defies belief what on earth they see in Ramsdale to warrant wasting 30 million on him.
We could pick up an experienced keeper like Fraser Forster as back up.
I've always liked him.
Would love to know the thinking as to why they wont snap up Onana.
Ramsdale is utter tripe

Maybe I’m being naively over optimistic but I’d like to think it’s not necessarily Arsenal that Ramsdale will be moving to, especially for £30m.

Post #490251  Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:31 pm 

david.d wrote:
tomc wrote:
If Arsenal line up on Friday with Aubameyang on the left wing and Lacazette in the middle I'm not sure I'll even bother watching. It's time Arteta had the bollocks to just leave one of them out. As for Elneny, if he is even on the bench.... :8angers:

Oh Tom dont....
2 pacy tricky players on the wings and one of Aubameyang , Lacazette or Balogun through the middle.
Arteta will just come across as *%^@*** clueless if he persists with that nonsense.

Martinelli on the left, Aubameyang in the middle and one of either Saka, Lacazette or Pépé on the right. Particularly Martinelli and Saka on either flank should be enough trickery and pace. I'm most worried about the midfield. Ødegaard whilst good at times didn't seem to be able to really dictate the tempo so not sure he is the answer to the problems in that area.

Post #490252  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:22 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Ødegaard whilst good at times didn't seem to be able to really dictate the tempo so not sure he is the answer to the problems in that area.

Should that be the task of Ødegaard though? The best midfields have an assortment of player types. Creativity may be one of them, as well as defensive attributes, and box to box energy (I’m not claiming that’s an exhaustive list). Ødegaard ticks that creativity box.

But I don’t see dictating the tempo as the job of the creative midfielder. If we do end up signing Maddison, which I don’t think we should for Leicester’s price, he sure as hell won’t dictate the tempo of our play.

The best tempo driver I’ve seen at Arsenal is Vieira. It was him that did that, not the creative Pires. Before their time, it was probably Talbot rather than Brady who forced the tempo. In Manchester United’s best (arguably) team, their tempo was surely forced by Scholes more than Beckham?

Post #490253  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:14 am 

Bernard wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
Ødegaard whilst good at times didn't seem to be able to really dictate the tempo so not sure he is the answer to the problems in that area.

Should that be the task of Ødegaard though? The best midfields have an assortment of player types. Creativity may be one of them, as well as defensive attributes, and box to box energy (I’m not claiming that’s an exhaustive list). Ødegaard ticks that creativity box.

But I don’t see dictating the tempo as the job of the creative midfielder. If we do end up signing Maddison, which I don’t think we should for Leicester’s price, he sure as hell won’t dictate the tempo of our play.

The best tempo driver I’ve seen at Arsenal is Vieira. It was him that did that, not the creative Pires. Before their time, it was probably Talbot rather than Brady who forced the tempo. In Manchester United’s best (arguably) team, their tempo was surely forced by Scholes more than Beckham?

Hi Bernard,

Ødegaard is a talented young player with obvious potential. I feel, though, he is not dynamic enough for what we need at this point in time. If anything he slows us down a bit and he tends to drift to the right where it all gets a bit congested with Pépé operating in that space as well. Nor is he a goal threat and we need some more goals from midfield.

I am not averse to the signing at the right price but I am not sure he is exactly what we need at the moment.

Post #490254  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:28 am 

david.d wrote:
tomc wrote:

Oh Tom dont....

Hi david,

I agree, playing Aubameyang wide left cannot continue. Not with his current level of performance anyway.

His main threat is to cut inside and bend one into the far corner but once teams stop him doing that and he is forced down the outside his crossing is not really great, nor would you expect it to be really with his left being his wrong foot and him being striker by trade.

Post #490255  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:54 am 

socrates wrote:
Hi Bernard,

Ødegaard is a talented young player with obvious potential. I feel, though, he is not dynamic enough for what we need at this point in time. If anything he slows us down a bit and he tends to drift to the right where it all gets a bit congested with Pépé operating in that space as well. Nor is he a goal threat and we need some more goals from midfield.

I am not averse to the signing at the right price but I am not sure he is exactly what we need at the moment.

To be fair though, the same argument about goal threat could certainly be used against Saka and Smith-Rowe as well. End product is often something that develops over time in a player, as they get more experienced and are more used to those situations. Ødegaard, Saka and Smith-Rowe are all young though, I think we could certainly see improvement in that area in the future.

Post #490256  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:55 am 

I'm expecting a slow start to the season based on what I've seen in preseason. I don't see any discernable tactic that works.

To be fair, Arteta has new players and other players were on international duty. But after say...a month, we should see improvement and a tactic that yields results.

Post #490257  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:37 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard,

Morning socrates. You’re not Maddison’s biggest fan (I’m sure you said that lately) but didn’t you imply you wouldn’t oppose signing him? I thought you said that. I think Maddison slows the play down even more than Ødegaard.

Look, Ødegaard may not be perfect for our needs currently. But as Hazuki says he is young enough (over two years younger than Maddison) to arguably develop more than Maddison. Given the choice between them, for me it would be Ødegaard over Maddison any day of the week, especially as he’d be significantly cheaper than the Leicester player.

Post #490258  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:38 am 

Rich wrote:
New 3rd kit which will be worn vs Brentford.

We’ve maybe only got somewhere between 19-23 away games this season, and assuming we’ll change the kits again next season you wonder how many times we’ll actually wear this?

Looks *%^@.

Post #490259  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi Bernard,

To be fair though, the same argument about goal threat could certainly be used against Saka and Smith-Rowe as well. End product is often something that develops over time in a player, as they get more experienced and are more used to those situations. Ødegaard, Saka and Smith-Rowe are all young though, I think we could certainly see improvement in that area in the future.

Hi Haz,

Yes, but if our ambition is to challenge for top four this year we need some immediate goal threats, not ones that will develop over the next 3 or 4 years.

Maybe Saka and Emile Smith Rowe will have a decent season goals-wise, it can happen that they have a break-out year. It did with Cesc. It could happen with Ødegaard of course but I think on balance I'd be happy to see a more proven goalscorer come in.

Madison scored 8 goals and made 5 assists in 31 games (7 as a sub) last year. Maybe not £70m stats but as we only finished 6 points shy of 4th last year that probably would have been good enough to have given us a decent shot at 4th.

Ødegaard scored 1 goal and made 2 assists in 14 PL games, albeit he was new to the PL and had some injury niggles.

Post #490260  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:25 am 

Bernard wrote:

My new season ticket card arrived as I was reading your post. I didn’t realise it was at first. It says MY ARSENAL REWARDS MEMBER on it, which I wasn’t sure was the season ticket card.

But the covering letter, about half way down, says “This new card replaces your existing membership card. Your existing card will not be activated for next season, so please do not bring it with you to access the stadium.”

My cards haven't arrived yet but I've had the relevant emails that include the option to download a digital pass to my iPhone wallet. It looks as though I can go through the turnstiles with just my phone.

What could go wrong, eh?

Post #490261  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:46 am 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

My new season ticket card arrived as I was reading your post. I didn’t realise it was at first. It says MY ARSENAL REWARDS MEMBER on it, which I wasn’t sure was the season ticket card.

But the covering letter, about half way down, says “This new card replaces your existing membership card. Your existing card will not be activated for next season, so please do not bring it with you to access the stadium.”

My cards haven't arrived yet but I've had the relevant emails that include the option to download a digital pass to my iPhone wallet. It looks as though I can go through the turnstiles with just my phone.

What could go wrong, eh?

Hmm, I’ll be taking my card (imagine a smiley here).

Post #490262  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:54 am 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Hi Haz,

Yes, but if our ambition is to challenge for top four this year we need some immediate goal threats, not ones that will develop over the next 3 or 4 years.

Maybe Saka and Emile Smith Rowe will have a decent season goals-wise, it can happen that they have a break-out year. It did with Cesc. It could happen with Ødegaard of course but I think on balance I'd be happy to see a more proven goalscorer come in.

Madison scored 8 goals and made 5 assists in 31 games (7 as a sub) last year. Maybe not £70m stats but as we only finished 6 points shy of 4th last year that probably would have been good enough to have given us a decent shot at 4th.

Ødegaard scored 1 goal and made 2 assists in 14 PL games, albeit he was new to the PL and had some injury niggles.

I've seen more from Smith Rowe and Saka increasing the tempo than I did from Ødegaard and we need a bit more if that someone who is willing to exert a bit more energy into trying to speed things up. Maybe Ødegaard could develop that but I haven't seen it yet and aside from creativity I think it's one of the biggest things missing in the midfield. Partey tries to push through but we can't keep him on the pitch for more than 2 matches.

Post #490263  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:59 am 

socrates wrote:
Hi Haz,

To be fair socrates we improved significantly when Ødegaard was in the team. In the 14 Premier League games he played we won 24 points, an average of 1.71 points per game. In the 24 games he missed we won 37 points, an average of 1.54 points per game.

Also, it’s worth noting that three of the four games he missed after joining us were against the relegated teams Sheffield United, Fulham and West Brom (the other was against thirteenth placed Wolves).

He played in the second half of the season games against Manchester United, Manchester City, Leicester, Tottenham, Liverpool and Chelsea. So his points per game stat wasn’t improved by him playing easier matches after he’d joined.

Let me be clear. I’m not saying we improved solely because of signing Ødegaard. That would be a nonsense claim to make. But what I am saying is that our improvement did coincide to at least an extent with him joining.

Post #490264  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:18 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm expecting a slow start to the season based on what I've seen for the past 10 years.

There - Fixed it for you.

Post #490265  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:54 am 

I wonder when was the last time we had a "good" team? Was that the season we had the midfield of Fabregas, Hleb, Flamini and Rosicky (when he was healhty)? 2008?

Post #490266  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:52 pm 

Two days before Arsenal's first match and still no back up keeper. If Leno gets injured or sent off we are currently throwing Hein or Okonkwo under the bus. What are Arteta/Edu playing at.

Post #490267  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:07 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I wonder when was the last time we had a "good" team? Was that the season we had the midfield of Fabregas, Hleb, Flamini and Rosicky (when he was healhty)? 2008?

15/16 was a good side that should have taken advantage of all the other big sides failing or being in transition and should have been more strongly backed in the transfer market for that final push of quality.

Sanchez, Özil, Cazorla, ramsey, giroud, per+kos at the back, the underrated Monreal and prime Bellerin - even our unused or fringe players were the likes of Ox, Walcott, Welbeck.

This was the summer when we only signed Čech and added Elneny in the January. Injecting a top class striker and a top class CM partner for Cazorla really could have won us the title that year. Leicester won it with one of the lowest points totals for 15 years

Post #490268  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:58 pm 

Attachment:

Post #490269  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:45 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/most-e ... es-everton

Arsenal's most expensive 11 cost £417m and 9 of those players are currently still with us......and finishing 8th

Post #490270  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

15/16 was a good side that should have taken advantage of all the other big sides failing or being in transition and should have been more strongly backed in the transfer market for that final push of quality.

Sanchez, Özil, Cazorla, ramsey, giroud, per+kos at the back, the underrated Monreal and prime Bellerin - even our unused or fringe players were the likes of Ox, Walcott, Welbeck.

This was the summer when we only signed Čech and added Elneny in the January. Injecting a top class striker and a top class CM partner for Cazorla really could have won us the title that year. Leicester won it with one of the lowest points totals for 15 years

Cazorla missed most of that season and we had a big hole where a good DM was needed. Welbeck missed a lot too through injury, I think. I know Giroud gets a lot of praise but was never good enough to be the main striker in a title winning side. By contrast, Leicester had Vardy. We had a good team that season but we never really clicked into gear due to the weaknesses at striker and DM. Better than what we have now for sure.

Post #490271  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:53 pm 

Ramsdale gathering pace. £24m is the latest.

I kind of don't care what we spend to sign players as long as all areas of the team are addressed, but what Arsenal fans will have a problem with is seeing Elneny trot out on numerous occasions and Ramsdale sitting on the bench when we could have signed Matt Ryan and someone like Aouar for the same expenditure.

If we get Ramsdale it will be £100m on Ramsdale, White, Lokonga and Tavares - in a summer when there really are going to be bargain signings cropping up everywhere.

I saw someone else note that of all Arteta's permanent signings only 1 of these (Willian) has been an attacking player.

Post #490272  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:52 pm 

The other things that confuses me with the supposed Ramsdale chase if that if we are looking to have a GK who is more suitable to Arteta's playing style so better with his feet like an extra defender when building from the back what evidence have we seen that Ramsdale is that GK. His passing accuracy last season was 43% compared to 76% by Leno, and both had about the same 32% accuracy on long balls. Perhaps if we ask Ramsdale to keep playing 10 yard 1-2's in his own area he'll be brilliant but he hasn;t been asked to do that at Sheff Utd or Bournemouth so how do we know?

Post #490273  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:26 pm 

I am not going to come on here saying what a crap deal it is if Aaron Ramsey happens, if it happens, because I don’t claim to know how good he is. He might be a potentially world class keeper.

What I will say is that it ranks up there with the weirdest transfers I can recall at Arsenal and there have been some weird ones.

I assume we have a limited budget and a number of key positions to fill so to spend £25m+ on a back-up keeper makes no sense unless he’s not a back-up keeper, which makes even less sense unless Leno is leaving.

It’s a massive amount to spend on a keeper from a relegated club with no other clubs seemingly in the mix.

Post #490274  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:34 pm 

socrates wrote:
I am not going to come on here saying what a crap deal it is if Aaron Ramsey happens, if it happens, because I don’t claim to know how good he is. He might be a potentially world class keeper.

What I will say is that it ranks up there with the weirdest transfers I can recall at Arsenal and there have been some weird ones.

I assume we have a limited budget and a number of key positions to fill so to spend £25m+ on a back-up keeper makes no sense unless he’s not a back-up keeper, which makes even less sense unless Leno is leaving.

It’s a massive amount to spend on a keeper from a relegated club with no other clubs seemingly in the mix.

If we stick Aaron Ramsey in goal we really are in trouble. Mind they way this window is going nothing Edu/Arteta do would surprise me.

Post #490275  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:40 pm 

Bayern are ‘desperate’ to sell Tolliso, 27 year old French international central midfielder, asking price is allegedly 10m euros.

I also read that Kolasinac was only on £11k a week at Shalke before we signed him and wenger gave him £100k a week. I’ve already said that the signing of Kolasinac wasn’t touted as terrible business at the time and it’s mainly with hindsight of his performances and our failure to be able to shift him that makes us look back on this as a bad deal - but - giving someone a near 10 fold pay rise is incredible whether he turned in to an excellent player for us or not.

Post #490276  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:47 pm 

tomc wrote:
socrates wrote:

If we stick Aaron Ramsey in goal we really are in trouble. Mind they way this window is going nothing Edu/Arteta do would surprise me.

Very good tomc.

Post #490277  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:

Very good tomc.

:laughing7: sorry guys, you know I meant Ramsdale

Post #490278  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:54 pm 

tomc wrote:
socrates wrote:

:14laughter:
Just couldn't resist this wrong last name.

Post #490279  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:00 pm 

socrates wrote:

Soc,
If it is Ramsdale, time will tell whether he's closer to a Seaman, Almunia, Lehman, Fabianski. Could turn out to be a surprise Martinez.

Post #490280  Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ramsdale gathering pace. £24m is the latest.

I kind of don't care what we spend to sign players as long as all areas of the team are addressed

This is pretty much it for me. I wasn't impressed with Ramsdale whenever I saw him last year, but by all accounts he had a very good season for Bournemouth the year before. He just turned 23 which is no age for a goalkeeper so he could still be all right quality wise. If we can still make two more signings apart from him I have no problem with it, but if he's the only signing we make before the window closes then Edu and Arteta have certainly made their bed and it will be very hard to find excuses if we don't deliver on the pitch.

[ 529274 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12254, 12255, 12256, 12257, 12258, 12259, 12260 ... 13232  Next