Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, john1, mcquilkie, Rich, warrior and 289 guests

Post #472001  Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:27 pm 

socrates wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Astounding read about Deportivo La Coruna. This extended tale had quite passed me by.

https://www.skysports.com/share/12232482

Puts our fall from the top table into perspective.

Hi ltg,

Was it Deportivo who gave us a footballing lesson in the CL once.

Back a while ago

https://www.11v11.com/teams/arsenal/tab ... 0La%20Coruña/

Post #472002  Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
With the last two errors playing out from the back, who is to blame for this?
1) Arteta for insisting on playing this way despite having players who mess it up too often
2) Leno for making these passes in to players in precarious situations
3) Xhaka/Ceballos for not having the awareness of the situation or the technique to play the first time pass backwards or sideways

Or option 4) is all 3!

The buck stops with Arteta. We have conceded 14 goals in 2021. 7 of those were caused by mistakes from our players. No other top team comes close. Playing out from the keeper is a tactic not a fetish. It points to players not being allowed or unwilling to think on their feet. Leno should know that when the opposition are pressing hard you pass it to the wings so if we do lose it it is harder for them to score. Two games in a row he has passed it to a player right in front of the goal when he can, or should, clearly see that player will be quickly surrounded by the opposition and might lose the ball.

Post #472003  Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:32 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:
With the last two errors playing out from the back, who is to blame for this?
1) Arteta for insisting on playing this way despite having players who mess it up too often
2) Leno for making these passes in to players in precarious situations
3) Xhaka/Ceballos for not having the awareness of the situation or the technique to play the first time pass backwards or sideways

Or option 4) is all 3!

The buck stops with Arteta. We have conceded 14 goals in 2021. 7 of those were caused by mistakes from our players. No other top team comes close. Playing out from the keeper is a tactic not a fetish. It points to players not being allowed or unwilling to think on their feet. Leno should know that when the opposition are pressing hard you pass it to the wings so if we do lose it it is harder for them to score. Two games in a row he has passed it to a player right in front of the goal when he can, or should, clearly see that player will be quickly surrounded by the opposition and might lose the ball.

True, but if Arteta is telling them 'we build from the back but you need to do it at the right time, don't pass it centrally to heavily marked players' then this isn't on him. just playing Devil's Advocate

Post #472004  Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:59 pm 

George Graham: "I’ve been hearing he [Arteta] does very well on the training ground; the players really rate him highly. I think its just a matter of eliminating those big mistakes during matches. Recently, I’ve seen them play in certain areas of the game & they are outstanding"

Post #472005  Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

True, but if Arteta is telling them 'we build from the back but you need to do it at the right time, don't pass it centrally to heavily marked players' then this isn't on him. just playing Devil's Advocate

That's true but that begs the question that if Arteta tells him to do as you suggested and they don't.....why don't they?

Post #472006  Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:06 pm 

Well at least Elneny proved a few wrong on here with that superb strike. And Willian's cross for Gab M's marvelous first euro scoring header was just the ticket.
A repeat on Sunday please.

Post #472007  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:44 am 

Time to put the disappointment from Burnley match into a fire-charged win over Spurs. Come on Arteta, get more fire onto the bellies of your players. And STOP those dumb mistakes. Kane & Son will be on our defenders like hawks awaiting prey.

Post #472008  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:37 am 

This pandemic has put a fire under me to really plan to fly to England and attend more games. I'll definitely plan a trip once the restrictions are lifted. I'd like to see a number of matches, all kinds. It'll probably be all in London. So far, I'd like to see Arsenal of course and Palace but also Brentford, anything I can squeeze into a week. If Arsenal are away, I'd be interested in making the trip as well.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56381482

Post #472009  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:40 am 

If we find ourselves with no European competition at the end of the season, beating Tottenham and Mourinho will soften the blow a little.

Post #472010  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:42 am 

...and I wonder how difficult it will be to buy the players we want if there is no European games next season? Are there any players who will want out? The only positive is we will be able to concentrate on domestic games fully.

Post #472011  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:07 am 

Why do people think we can’t win the Europa League? I just don’t get it. Of course we can. That will get us into the Champions League let alone everyone being bothered about Premiership results to qualify for next season’s Europa League.

Post #472012  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:22 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Time to put the disappointment from Burnley match into a fire-charged win over Spurs. Come on Arteta, get more fire onto the bellies of your players. And STOP those dumb mistakes. Kane & Son will be on our defenders like hawks awaiting prey.

Spurs and Mourinho haven’t ever been a high pressing team though. Maybe against small teams where they need to force the issue, but in big games spurs sit with a low block and use 2-3 players to hit on the counter. With our clear frailties playing out from the back in the last 2 games I wonder whether Mourinho will go against his natural instinct and instruct his team to press high?

Post #472013  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:26 am 

Bernard wrote:
Why do people think we can’t win the Europa League? I just don’t get it. Of course we can. That will get us into the Champions League let alone everyone being bothered about Premiership results to qualify for next season’s Europa League.

We definitely can win it. We’re capable of beating every team left in it, there aren’t team like City and Bayern who even at 75% would beat us at our best.
The pessimism must come from fans confidence for the team to not make a mistake for the remaining 8 knock out games it would take to win it.

Post #472014  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:21 am 

Bernard wrote:

It’s possible but not defending like we are at the moment

I think we can beat every remaining side in it on our day but could also see someone like Roma, Villarreal or United also beating us.

Also if we draw spurs I think we could have a problem as Mourinho will know how to approach a 2 legged tie with us.

My feeling is it won’t happen and I’ll be praying spurs get the winner of the United Milan tie,

Post #472015  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It’s possible but not defending like we are at the moment

I think we can beat every remaining side in it on our day but could also see someone like Roma, Villarreal or United also beating us.

Also if we draw spurs I think we could have a problem as Mourinho will know how to approach a 2 legged tie with us.

My feeling is it won’t happen and I’ll be praying spurs get the winner of the United Milan tie,

From the odds I’ve found Arsenal are third favourites to win the Europa League, behind the favourites Tottenham and second favourites Manchester United. I’m sure that if United didn’t have such an uphill battle to get past Milan, who have an away goal after a 1-1 draw in the first leg, they would be favourites.

But as things stand I agree with that order of favourites. Tottenham and Manchester United are the only two clubs I would make favourites to beat us. So I’m hoping Milan finish the job and knock them out to make us second favourites. I’d make us favourites against Milan. Only just, but I would.

On our day and in a one off (the final) or two legged (the quarter or semi final) tie, we’re more than capable of beating Tottenham. Worst teams than us have beaten better sides than them countless times.

Post #472016  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:02 am 

On the Europa, if Arteta can conjure some of the same magic that beat City and Chelsea in the FA Cup last year then we’ve definitely got a chance.
Winning it would be such a game changer for us in our progression. It has the potential to accelerate us by 2 seasons by getting back in the champions league now

Post #472017  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:36 am 

Doable...anything is doable. We simply have not been consistent though overall. The bright spot is we have generally played well in the competition so far, but the opposition hasn't been more than decent not great. We are/were the favorites in all the games so far. Sometimes though, you do well in one competition and not in another in the same season. Our CL run to the final didn't transfer in the league. Our Invincible league run didn't transfer to any of the cup competitions.

No one wishes us to do badly, but based on how inconsistent we have been all year, presently in the worst place we've had at this point at anytime in years, decades even, I'm at a loss to see why questioning the possibility of winning the Europa Cup is some sort of fault in a fan.

Post #472018  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:20 am 

We can definitely win the Europa.
We are capable of beating any of those sides left but......I would worry against spurs or united.
The way Milan bossed that game and with an away goal hoping they finish Utd off. Let the Gods work their magic to get Utd and Spurs knocked out and us into the final!
Will be interesting to see what we do tomorrow.
How will Arteta rotate? Will he rotate?
Can see Pépé starting but its clear Willian is his first choice on the wing. I dont agree with that but at least he is improving and delivering assists now. I think Smith Rowe is key tomorrow and should start. Rest Ødegaard and put Smith Rowe back in his natural position where he dovetails so well with Saka.
Bale Kane and Son worry me.
Had Bale got his act together sooner unfortunately could see spurs as a shoe in for top 4. We are a better team than them on the ball but those 3 are dangerous and will have to be controlled for us to win the game.
Want us to beat them so so badly.
Would be welcomed as one of my birthday presents for monday!

Post #472019  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:27 am 

Bernard wrote:

Puzzling.

Perhaps 'they' think we were knocked out? Looked up last year's results by mistake, maybe?

Post #472020  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:44 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm at a loss to see why questioning the possibility of winning the Europa Cup is some sort of fault in a fan.

”If we find ourselves with no European competition at the end of the season, beating Tottenham and Mourinho will soften the blow a little.”

“...and I wonder how difficult it will be to buy the players we want if there is no European games next season? Are there any players who will want out? The only positive is we will be able to concentrate on domestic games fully.”

I didn’t know anyone had said questioning the possibility of Arsenal winning the Europa League represents a “fault in a fan.” I certainly wouldn’t define a lack of optimism or an exaggerated pessimism as the same thing as a ‘fault’. I suppose thinking it was might represent a heightened level of over-sensitivity or being too thin-skinned, but I wouldn’t say downgrading Arsenal’s chances of winning a cup in which we’re arguably the third strongest side was a ‘fault’.

Post #472021  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:55 pm 

Certainly possible that we can win it, I just can see us shipping a daft away goal againest a side who will be less forgiving.

I’m certainly optimistic about the direction of the side at the moment despite everything not being perfect. So much so I’m pushing the button on a season ticket or the lions share of one for next season.

Post #472022  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Spurs and Mourinho haven’t ever been a high pressing team though. Maybe against small teams where they need to force the issue, but in big games spurs sit with a low block and use 2-3 players to hit on the counter. With our clear frailties playing out from the back in the last 2 games I wonder whether Mourinho will go against his natural instinct and instruct his team to press high?

I think he will. If I am playing against Arsenal, that is definitely what I'll do. We make it easy for our opposition.

Post #472023  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:48 pm 

My selection against Spurs
Leno
Cédric Luiz Gabriel Tierney
Partey
Pépé Ødegaard Emile Smith Rowe Saka
Aubameyang

All of Pépé, Ødegaard, Emile Smith Rowe & Saka, must be quick to track back when Spurs is on the move. We need speed and agility from these 4.

Post #472024  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:07 pm 

Keep fighting Leeds. Never thought I'd ever say that.

Post #472025  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:46 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Leno
Partey
Aubameyang

All of Pépé, Ødegaard, Emile Smith Rowe & Saka, must be quick to track back when Spurs is on the move. We need speed and agility from these 4.

Realistically that's never going to happen. We'll have 2 bona fide central mids for sure. It actually wouldn't surprise me to see Arteta play Xhaka and Elneny - he's done it a few times in the big games to stifle the game down and try to win on fine margins.
I agree on Cédric starting, I think he links up better with whoever plays right wing.

Both teams are more dangerous down their left.

I'd like Pépé and Smith-Rowe to start. I think the later will but think he'll pick Willian

Post #472026  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:01 pm 

Oh Mustafi has just scored a bit of a nightmare own goal for Shalke

Post #472027  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Leno
Partey
Aubameyang

Realistically that's never going to happen. We'll have 2 bona fide central mids for sure.

I agree with you Rich. To say gooner7’s front six looks unbalanced would put them in with a good chance of the understatement of the year award.

Post #472028  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:31 pm 

Read a few reviews of Willock since he’s been an Newcastle, I haven’t seen any of it so just relaying the opinion of others who have seen the games. They think he’s playing well, Newcastle’s best player, the best thing I read about him was people saying he’s playing with confidence because he feels superior to those around him in the tw am rather than inferior or hesitant like he has been for Arsenal

Post #472029  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
Oh Mustafi has just scored a bit of a nightmare own goal for Shalke

Let's be easy on Mustafi. It could be worse. He could have been doing that for us. :icon_mrgreen1:
I like Mustafi now. I really do. Good luck to him. :angel9:

Post #472030  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:42 pm 

Nothng against West Brom as a club but they hired fat Sam so must face the sword. Hope they go down and stay so until fat Sam is gone.

Post #472031  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:45 pm 

Everton losing at home to Burnley. Villa threw away two points against Newcastle. If anyone puts together a proper run of results they’ll get those European places. Top 4 is too far for us but win the game in hand and beat Everton and we’d only be two points behind them.
Of course it’s all easier said than done but it is in our hands if we can get a run together

Post #472032  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:48 pm 

Rich wrote:
Of course it’s all easier said than done but it is in our hands if we can get a run together

Much like everyone else, the most consistent thing about us is our inconsistency. Getting a run together is thus, as you imply, much easier said than done.

Post #472033  Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:37 pm 

Fulham make 2 mistakes trying to play out from the back and City punish them with 2 goals and kill the game 3-0. MOTD do the analysis of it and pretty much everything is praise for Fulham being brave and total agreement that they shouldn’t change the way they play because that’s how Parker sets them up.

Post #472034  Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:14 am 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Leno
Partey
Aubameyang

Realistically that's never going to happen. We'll have 2 bona fide central mids for sure. It actually wouldn't surprise me to see Arteta play Xhaka and Elneny - he's done it a few times in the big games to stifle the game down and try to win on fine margins.
I agree on Cédric starting, I think he links up better with whoever plays right wing.

Both teams are more dangerous down their left.

I'd like Pépé and Smith-Rowe to start. I think the later will but think he'll pick Willian

Arteta sees something in Willian, just hope his faith pays off in the long-run. But don't take too long.

Post #472035  Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:18 am 

Rich wrote:
Read a few reviews of Willock since he’s been an Newcastle, I haven’t seen any of it so just relaying the opinion of others who have seen the games. They think he’s playing well, Newcastle’s best player, the best thing I read about him was people saying he’s playing with confidence because he feels superior to those around him in the tw am rather than inferior or hesitant like he has been for Arsenal

Hope he comes back next season to rediscover his "Vieira-form" with us. The loan will do him a world of good.

Post #472036  Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:31 am 

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... u-20141201

Amani Richards at Arsenal now. Former Chelsea player.

Gotta love the Caribbean accent on the youtube host. I noticed that in London, a lot of Jamaican patois street slang is mixed in with the cockney. All manner of youth were using it. Fascinating to a non Londoner.

Not much of him on video

Post #472037  Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:32 am 

I hate the feeling on derby days with your stomach in knots. Even at our best, I was nervous playing Tottenham or Chelsea.

Post #472038  Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:35 am 

I am certain I will not agree with some of the players that will be selected for the NLD but what is essential is that they must concentrate from minute 1. At no time must the team cruise. Spurs are weak defensively and we must exploit that. A home game and we must perform.

Post #472039  Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:30 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I am certain I will not agree with some of the players that will be selected for the NLD but what is essential is that they must concentrate from minute 1. At no time must the team cruise. Spurs are weak defensively and we must exploit that. A home game and we must perform.

We started very well in the Benfica, Burnley and Olympiacos games and then allowed (or graciously helped) the opposition back into the game. If we do get a good start against Spurs I do hope we can see some better game management. In particular, I hope it is made clear to our players that passing the ball to Kane, Son, or Bale in our area is not something to be advised.

Post #472040  Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:16 am 

Arteta has big selection dilemmas today.
I think Mari has been unlucky not to have gotten more game time. Has looked good every time he has played.
Would like to see Gabriel and Mari together but supposedly that cant happen as both left footers.....not sure I can see the significance of that but hey ho.
For sure the 2 to be dropping out the team for me today would be Luiz and Willian.
I would play Cédric ahead of Bellerin as well.
I think he gives more in defence and attack.
Ødegaard would be rested and Emile Smith Rowe back in in his place. Pépé in for Willian and Aubameyang through the middle with Saka on other wing so......

Leno
Cédric Gabriel Mari Tierney
Xhaka Partey
Emile Smith Rowe
Pépé Aubameyang Saka

Come on you Gunners.
Let's win this!!!!!

[ 518931 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11798, 11799, 11800, 11801, 11802, 11803, 11804 ... 12974  Next