Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf and 285 guests

Post #503481  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:38 pm 

I see the French league season has been abandoned- no football until September at the earliest. The Dutch league has also been abandoned, with no champions, promotions or relegations.

Post #503482  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:44 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Fantastic season for Henry, 24 goals, 20 assists. If I'm not mistaken (and I often am) it was the only season RVN scored more goals than him.
De Bruyne can crow all he wants but until he can be as a complete player as Henry, its hallow.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/thierry-im ... 50879.html
'Thierry, I'm coming for you' - De Bruyne fires warning to Premier League assist king Henry

It was the only season. I'm quite surprised that RVN was top scorer only once as I remember him as a dominant force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... %80%932000

Kevin Phillips is another who had slipped the memory.

Post #503483  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:49 pm 

Not sure if it’s been raised earlier but an old mate just reminded me that it was 50 years ago to the day we were together at Highbury when we beat Anderlecht to win the Fairs Cup.
Maybe he’s got the date right though I’m not sure about the year… in reflecting I thought it was 1969. Anyhow great night ...particularly for the generation before mine who had been starved of success for many years.………actually it was a f…g great night for me too!!
Stay safe Gooners.

Post #503484  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:13 pm 

I see FIFAs top medical officer has advised the season should be binned

Post #503485  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:42 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Not sure if it’s been raised earlier but an old mate just reminded me that it was 50 years ago to the day we were together at Highbury when we beat Anderlecht to win the Fairs Cup.
Maybe he’s got the date right though I’m not sure about the year… in reflecting I thought it was 1969. Anyhow great night ...particularly for the generation before mine who had been starved of success for many years.………actually it was a f…g great night for me too!!
Stay safe Gooners.

Anderlecht was 1970 Andy. 1969 was the Swindon League Cup final.

Post #503486  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:48 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Stay safe Gooners.
I was there and it remains my greatest night of football. All those years without a trophy ended by an incredible comeback performance. The old place exploded when Radford and Sammels scored two goals in quick succession. I have never heard such a noise from a crowd before. Hard to imagine now but Anderlecht were favourites to win the Fairs Cup, having beaten Inter in the semi-finals.

Post #503487  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:02 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Panorama must have been good it so it will be all over the news feeds and every paper I read has mentioned it.

Hang on where's my microscope only the SG forum has mentioned it.

Lefty luvvies of the unbiased BBC I suppose..........................

:42laughter: :12hello-bye:
Have you watched it? If you do you'll find no luvvies on show, just dedicated but very worried NHS staff asking why they are expected to take on a killer virus without the protective equipment they should have. This is not about politics. It is about monumental mistakes made by people in authority at a time of national crisis, some of whom have tried to cover it up.

Post #503488  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:12 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:

I was there and it remains my greatest night of football.

Mine too Old Man.

There’ve been a number of anniversaries of our triumphs in recent days and I remember them all with brilliant memories and gratitude. But Anderlecht was the dam-buster. The mould-breaker. A collective release for all of us there of the tensions of all those barren years - all my youthful life spent in the shadow of - amongst others - Spurs.

Oh yes. A blessed day indeed.

Post #503489  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:29 pm 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
I was there and it remains my greatest night of football.

Mine too Old Man.

There’ve been a number of anniversaries of our triumphs in recent days and I remember them all with brilliant memories and gratitude. But Anderlecht was the dam-buster. The mould-breaker. A collective release for all of us there of the tensions of all those barren years - all my youthful life spent in the shadow of - amongst others - Spurs.

Oh yes. A blessed day indeed.

It was the first trophy I’d seen us win live too. Though my barren years weren’t as long, a mere two seasons, I’d been to losing League Cup finals in both. Leeds in 1968 and Swindon in 1969.

Post #503490  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:51 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Panorama must have been good it so it will be all over the news feeds and every paper I read has mentioned it.

Have you watched it? If you do you'll find no luvvies on show, just dedicated but very worried NHS staff asking why they are expected to take on a killer virus without the protective equipment they should have. This is not about politics. It is about monumental mistakes made by people in authority at a time of national crisis, some of whom have tried to cover it up.

Hi OMOH,

We failed to stockpile the right equipment over the last decade, failed to heed the guidelines and recommendations of various health organisations and basically left the NHS at the mercy of any pandemic. Even when the virus first hit we still had time to react but failed to do so. UK companies producing surgical aprons contacted the govt to see if they could help but were ignored and instead focussed on supplying the US.

Having made a catalogue of errors, from inadequate stockpiling to the slowness in locking down, the govt then deliberately downgraded the severity of the virus to enable them to cover their tracks, knowing that their failure to prepare properly and react in a timely manner was going to cost thousands of innocent lives.

As I said the other day, I don't give a shite who the govt is, what matters is that they have got this badly wrong on so many counts.

Post #503491  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:55 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
Stay safe Gooners.

Yes of course. Thank you Bernard. Two losing finals at Wembley but we came good that great night at Highbury...what an atmosphere...
Certainly made an impression on OMOH and DHD as it did on us Bernard!
I wasn’t there (Harlow was!) but Liverpool away was probably a contender for best Arsenal night......

Post #503492  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:57 am 

socrates wrote:

We failed to stockpile the right equipment over the last decade, failed to heed the guidelines and recommendations of various health organisations and basically left the NHS at the mercy of any pandemic. Even when the virus first hit we still had time to react but failed to do so. UK companies producing surgical aprons contacted the govt to see if they could help but were ignored and instead focussed on supplying the US.

Having made a catalogue of errors, from inadequate stockpiling to the slowness in locking down, the govt then deliberately downgraded the severity of the virus to enable them to cover their tracks, knowing that their failure to prepare properly and react in a timely manner was going to cost thousands of innocent lives.

As I said the other day, I don't give a shite who the govt is, what matters is that they have got this badly wrong on so many counts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t1 ... des/player

Post #503493  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:23 am 

Great player but at 31 year old? Hmmm....
https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/27/arsenal- ... -12618871/

Post #503494  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:40 am 

I'm really loving these old matches.

Post #503495  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:42 am 

Andy Green wrote:
Stay safe Gooners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6N-YPAdxw0&t=133s

Post #503496  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:49 am 

This being reported here. Aubameyang for 30mil. The club remains a joke if there is any truth to this at all.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/arsenal ... m:twg:2019

Post #503497  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
This being reported here. Aubameyang for 30mil. The club remains a joke if there is any truth to this at all.

Certainly not ideal but if he wants to leave and only has one year left on his deal whilst 31 years old, then I’m not sure what else we can do? It may be a case of Hobson’s Choice.

Post #503498  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:40 am 

Andy Green wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yes of course. Thank you Bernard. Two losing finals at Wembley but we came good that great night at Highbury...what an atmosphere...
I wasn’t there (Harlow was!) but Liverpool away was probably a contender for best Arsenal night......

Frank told me the Anderlecht game was his favourite game of his career. He said the first leg was strange as he didn’t think Anderlect were that much in control yet they found themselves three down. The away goal turned it. He told the players they were going to win the return. He said he’d never experienced Highbury as it was that night.

Post #503499  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:08 am 

Darren wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

Frank told me the Anderlecht game was his favourite game of his career. He said the first leg was strange as he didn’t think Anderlect were that much in control yet they found themselves three down. The away goal turned it. He told the players they were going to win the return. He said he’d never experienced Highbury as it was that night.

The first thing that Arsenal won since I had started supporting them. Truly wonderful after having been at the Leeds and Swindon finals and then us being 3-0 at one point in the tie.

Set us up nicely for the following year. A real sense of us building something special at that time. It was surprising and disappointing just how quickly it all fell away after 1972.

Post #503500  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:43 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

No nor have I tried to find it as a number of twitter feeds say it has been withdrawn, proved to be full of inaccuracies etc etc.

If you have a link to it let me have it and I will watch it..................

Post #503501  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:45 am 

bubblechris wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

No nor have I tried to find it as a number of twitter feeds say it has been withdrawn, proved to be full of inaccuracies etc etc.

If you have a link to it let me have it and I will watch it..................

Found it on iplayer and watching it shortly...........

Post #503502  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:17 am 

Panorama Programme

Very sad.
Very critical of ppe supplies which are not the responsibility of the Government to purchase. Which are purchased by the NHS and which the world over is short in supply.

Lefty lovers like Prof Ashton saying we should have had an stock of them as we were warned. Did anybody have supplies? Germany apart nobody made preparations did they? Possibly the Asians because of their experience with Saars but certainly hardly any in the west.

It is blatantly a procurement problem and the Government can be blamed for not creating a mountain of supplies but which Government did?

Procurement was and still is the nhs's responsibility.

Check out #ppeshortages and you will see 50/50 split of opinions.

Basically it is biased reporting and not impartial as the BBC should be.

Sad but very one sided. These same lefties would have been critical of the Government if they had stockpiled ppe and it all proved to be a waste of money.

Easy to criticise in hindsight....................................

Post #503503  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:27 am 

Darren wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Certainly not ideal but if he wants to leave and only has one year left on his deal whilst 31 years old, then I’m not sure what else we can do? It may be a case of Hobson’s Choice.

Plus the global market would be driving his price down.
I can't see us spending anything this window whenever it happens, we may reinvest money we receive but it will probably be a case of another transition year because all we can do is:
shift as many duds and high earners as we can - Mkhitaryan, Elneny etc
sign very low price or free agents - Mari, Cedrid, Willian, Fraser
tie players to long terms deals - Saka

Post #503504  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:16 am 

Darren wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

That’s the way I see things with Aubameyang, Darren. As Rich said above, it will be surprising if the club spends anything other than what we get from player sales and we’ll get relative peanuts for the likes of Mkhitaryan and Elneny.

Even having £30m from selling Aubameyang is probably going to be better for team building in, what don’t forget will be a depressed transfer market, than waiting until 2021 when his contract ends and not getting a single penny for him. As you point out, especially considering his age.

Post #503505  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:35 am 

bubblechris wrote:

Yes.

...... Moving onto football...

Post #503506  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:27 am 

Darren wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Plus the transfer market may tank and that might be an excellent price in hindsight.

Post #503507  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:30 am 

Decaf wrote:
Darren wrote:

Plus the transfer market may tank and that might be an excellent price in hindsight.

The only way that the transfer market won’t fall is if there is a continuation of sugar daddy/state funds. Hopefully that won’t happen.

As you say, selling might end up being a good deal. Shame to see him play for another club though.

Post #503508  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:36 am 

Congratulations, Great Leader - and your mistress.

We may not know how many kids Boris has got, but we do know he's got one more.

Post #503509  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 am 

DHD wrote:

A wonderful feel good story in these troubled times. Hurrah

Post #503510  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:11 am 

DHD wrote:

I read somewhere when he contracted the virus that at least his kids were safe. Which amused me.

Post #503511  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:58 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Panorama Programme

Very sad.
Very critical of ppe supplies which are not the responsibility of the Government to purchase. Which are purchased by the NHS and which the world over is short in supply.

Lefty lovers like Prof Ashton saying we should have had an stock of them as we were warned. Did anybody have supplies? Germany apart nobody made preparations did they? Possibly the Asians because of their experience with Saars but certainly hardly any in the west.

It is blatantly a procurement problem and the Government can be blamed for not creating a mountain of supplies but which Government did?

Procurement was and still is the nhs's responsibility.

Check out #ppeshortages and you will see 50/50 split of opinions.

Basically it is biased reporting and not impartial as the BBC should be.

Sad but very one sided. These same lefties would have been critical of the Government if they had stockpiled ppe and it all proved to be a waste of money.

Emergency Planning is about foresight, not hindsight. The message to prepare for pandemic was well voiced for a long time, and preparations should have been made by all of the governments, including ours. There is no excuse for any of them. Our government is responsible for the NHS, and should have been aware of and active on any shortfalls. The risk management has been seriously defective. As for waste of money, well we have had no difficulty in living with the cost of stockpiling nuclear weapons for over 70 years, all of which have sat unused. The cost of having enough PPE and bodybags for Covid-19 victims is a pittance in comparison.

Post #503512  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:21 pm 

Jeez. Like dogs with a bone

Post #503513  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:50 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Jeez. Like dogs with a bone

Did Not ! - Did too !

'Fraid Not ! - 'Fraid So !

Post #503514  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:28 pm 

Neither party's pollsters will dispute this. No matter who wins the presidency, Biden will have more votes than anyone else.

Post #503515  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:53 pm 

Enough of the negativity.

I wonder what they’ll call the baby. I understand Boris loves classical history, with a fondness for the Romans, Nero perhaps.

Post #503516  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:14 pm 

OMOH is right we have to be ready :8surprise: I'm building a bomb shelter as We were warned by the nutters that a meteoroid will hit the earth sometime in the next 100 years. In fact if I listen to all the warnings I may as well top myself :42laughter: so the aliens don't get me. Don't talk to me about the walking dead :8surprise:

Having said that and to conform with ltg's post where do you think we will finish next season or the one after if we're all here................

:42laughter:

Post #503517  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:38 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Enough of the negativity.

I wonder what they’ll call the baby. I understand Boris loves classical history, with a fondness for the Romans, Nero perhaps.

Our five week old grandson (our first) who we haven’t been able to see other than via video link due to the lockdown has been named after a real Arsenal hero.

His second name is Dennis. And of course as we all know DB10 was named after Denis Law.

(My other son called his cat Bergkamp, much to his partner’s disgust. When they first took Bergkamp to the vets they found out that ‘he’ was a ‘she’ :laughing7: )

Post #503518  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:25 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Having said that and to conform with ltg's post where do you think we will finish next season or the one after if we're all here................

I think they'll finish the current season one way or another and we'll finish 6th ... even if we are not all here which seems a distinct possibility.

Post #503519  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:45 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Our government is responsible for the NHS

One would think.

Apart from, but somewhat related to, the burning question of whether we can get into the top four in the next season but one, I wonder what will happen to the money that comes from oligarchs and sheikhs if this goes on much longer and they have to bail out their oil industries? We may well see whether Man City is really self-sustaining.

Post #503520  Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:42 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Darren wrote:

The first thing that Arsenal won since I had started supporting them. Truly wonderful after having been at the Leeds and Swindon finals and then us being 3-0 at one point in the tie.

Set us up nicely for the following year. A real sense of us building something special at that time. It was surprising and disappointing just how quickly it all fell away after 1972.

Long Time ....I thought when we bought Alan Ball from Everton and added him to a double winning team we meant business. You’re right though it fell away a bit sharply and the mid 70s were pretty barren

[ 563338 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12585, 12586, 12587, 12588, 12589, 12590, 12591 ... 14084  Next