Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 303 guests

Post #510361  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:46 pm 

Ash wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
I say well done to Arteta and his team. Despite being criticised constantly we have moved well away from relegation (which was a real threat when Emery was in charge) and are now pressing for a top 5 finish. All season only Liverpool have lost less league matches than us, and domestically we are unbeaten in 2020. Reasons to be cheerful I think.

Those are surprising statistics! Good times I guess, although I though we looked pretty shaky yesterday and at last had some luck.

On the other hand it is uncomfortably reminiscent of Emery's run at the beginning of last season. One felt something had to give and it did. We are completely reliant on Aubameyang and Leno performing heroics.

Post #510362  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:54 pm 

Interesting couple of games today.
Everton v Chelsea - would be good to draw Chelsea properly back in to the chasing group. Everton could draw level with us with a win. A draw would be perfect
Man U v Man City - desperate for city to smash Man U

Post #510363  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:58 pm 

Greeny wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
In Italy the football goes ahead in some areas but with no attendance at the matches.

Arsenal games with no crowds allowed to attend - will the club have to refund ticket holders - can they afford the loss of revenue from this

Liverpool win the league but none of their fans can attend the match when they win the title

An FA Cup final in an empty stadium.

In Italy they have now effectively quarantined 16 million people. The whole of the North. Milan, Venice, Parma. No cinemas, theaters, museums and schools are open. Restaurants only allowed to open between 6 and 18:00, have to have 1m room between each customer. In Switzerland there is no football, nothing. Any Gathering/Meetings of over 150 people banned.

On to much, much happier news.

The scousers not being able to celebrate their PL win...

Playing to an empty Anfield...joy!

The commentators not being to comment about the fabulous atmosphere...bliss!

Them holding the trophy aloft, and 100 people clapping! I can't bloody wait!

Think it’s important that there’s no overreaction to the Coronavirus. Experts are saying the common flu is a bigger threat to life. I haven’t missed a competitive home game since 27th January 2002, over eighteen years ago, and I’ll be fuming if I have to miss one because of an overreaction to the Coronavirus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.expres ... deaths/amp

Post #510364  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:21 pm 

Lampard is doing a much better job than I thought he would. It's probably only going to get better once they spend some money. They are going to spend big this summer.

Next season may look like Liverpool, City and Chelsea and everyone else.

Post #510365  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:25 pm 

I never thought we were ever going to be seriously in jeopardy of being in a relegation fight. Over dramatic. Even if we kept Emery. We were likely in the bottom half of the table but we'd be out of the relegation zone point was no matter what. No non gooners considered us relegation candidates as well.

That said, getting rid of Emery was the right decision. I thought we needed to give him more time but I was wrong in that assessment. Arteta is doing a good job.

Post #510366  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:15 pm 

We’re being linked with Willian on a free this summer, huge wages obviously. His agent is one of THE agents Raul likes to deal with.
I’ve always liked him as a player, seems to make things happen but know chelsea fans who find him really inconsistent.
Given his age and wages it would be a strange move for a team that is trying to rebuild but you never know

Post #510367  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:56 pm 

It’s going to be interesting in the summer when Chelsea can buy players again. They were criticised for years for not giving youth a chance, this season they were forced to and a lot of them have been very good, but also with some inconsistencies. Will Lampard stick with them or will they buy in and sideline the youth to give themselves a better chance at the title?

Post #510368  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Greeny wrote:
In Italy they have now effectively quarantined 16 million people. The whole of the North. Milan, Venice, Parma. No cinemas, theaters, museums and schools are open. Restaurants only allowed to open between 6 and 18:00, have to have 1m room between each customer. In Switzerland there is no football, nothing. Any Gathering/Meetings of over 150 people banned.

On to much, much happier news.

The scousers not being able to celebrate their PL win...

Playing to an empty Anfield...joy!

The commentators not being to comment about the fabulous atmosphere...bliss!

Them holding the trophy aloft, and 100 people clapping! I can't bloody wait!

Think it’s important that there’s no overreaction to the Coronavirus. Experts are saying the common flu is a bigger threat to life. I haven’t missed a competitive home game since 27th January 2002, over eighteen years ago, and I’ll be fuming if I have to miss one because of an overreaction to the Coronavirus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.expres ... deaths/amp

At the end of the day people are dying because of it.

*%^@ the football and your attendance record.

Post #510369  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:08 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
The only thought I really had about Coronavirus was that somehow it brought people together a bit and all of a sudden people realised what was good about their lives rather than what was missing.

Then you see this ..

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11118861/ ... australia/

There’s no hope. Actual adults fighting. Some people are controlled entirely by what newspapers feed them

60% of our toilet paper is produced in Australia. Some morons on social media suggested there may be shortages. There will not, well shouldn’t have been until people started panicking. What the f do these people think they will do with a hoard of toilet paper if they catch the virus.

Natural selection is not working. On your point of bringing people together. I predict it will have the opposite effect. Foreigners are and will be targeted. Tourist are not welcome, people want someone to blame and economies will tetter if not collapse if it continues to put people out of work and travel is already under the pump. The effects of Chinese production in shut down for a number of weeks if not months could have dire consequences in the months to come. To give you an example my son was in buying some electronic parts and bought the last 2 parts for a project. He was told that a pile of goods were stuck on the wharves in China but the factory was in close down. They were running out of a number of products and it would get messy even after the freight arrived because of demand.

Just popped back from my local supermarket where I bought a joint of beef.

Zero toilet rolls on display, completely sold out. (not that I needed any)

People are sheep absolute sheep. You might be right about the effect being opposite.

Post #510370  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:19 pm 

Attachment:
download.jpeg
download.jpeg [ 1.79 KB | Viewed 1529 times ]

I was about to stick this on Ebay, but I've decided to give the forum first dibs. Offers via pm please.

Post #510371  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:47 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Attachment:
download.jpeg

I was about to stick this on Ebay, but I've decided to give the forum first dibs. Offers via pm please.

I've got some excellent face masks (actually dust masks but who'd know). How about a straight swap?

Post #510372  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:55 pm 

I wonder how Arteta will approach the City game on Wednesday? If anyone knows what city want to do and can do it should be Arteta. Clearly we aren’t going to have a lot of the ball. Can Arteta set the team up to be a threat on the counter or to press and force mistakes?

Post #510373  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
I wonder how Arteta will approach the City game on Wednesday? If anyone knows what city want to do and can do it should be Arteta. Clearly we aren’t going to have a lot of the ball. Can Arteta set the team up to be a threat on the counter or to press and force mistakes?

Looks like a perfect match for Martinelli to do his magic once again.

Post #510374  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:36 pm 

Bernard wrote:

I don't think it would count as 'missing the game' if you weren't allowed to go. It'd be like a rained out match at cricket.

What happened 27 January 2002 to stop you going? Was it the day that the famous spreadsheet went pear-shaped?

Post #510375  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Far fewer than the number who die from the common flu. As experts have said, little fuss is made about the common flu and that’s a much bigger threat.

Post #510376  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:49 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I don't think it would count as 'missing the game' if you weren't allowed to go. It'd be like a rained out match at cricket.

What happened 27 January 2002 to stop you going? Was it the day that the famous spreadsheet went pear-shaped?

It was a Saturday and I had to give a talk. I simply couldn’t get out of it. The game was a 1-0 win against Liverpool in the FA Cup, the one where Bergkamp scored that diving header.

Post #510377  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Far fewer than the number who die from the common flu. As experts have said, little fuss is made about the common flu and that’s a much bigger threat.

It’s kills 3% of the people who get it so if the whole UK caught it your looking at over 700,000 deaths. Over 150 people have died in Italy today alone.

I think that’s worth your attendance record.

Post #510378  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:11 pm 

Amazing how "normal" City seem these days. They were imperious a year ago.

Post #510379  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Its much more virulent than flu (you are 10 time more likely to die if you get coronavirus than flu). The fact that it hasn't killed as many people is purely because it hasn't spread as much yet. AND the big one is it's new and unknown, unlike flu, and could turn nasty. So the trick is to try to contain it until a vaccine is developed.

So I don't think we are overreacting. The fact that we massively under-react to much greater threats, is another matter.

Post #510380  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:14 pm 

Strange as it may seem, outside of Liverpool we are probably the most in form league side in the league over the last 4 or 5 league matches.

Post #510381  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:19 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Its much more virulent than flu (you are 10 time more likely to die if you get coronavirus than flu). The fact that it hasn't killed as many people is purely because it hasn't spread as much yet. AND the big one is it's new and unknown, unlike flu, and could turn nasty. So the trick is to try to contain it until a vaccine is developed.

So I don't think we are overreacting. The fact that we massively under-react to much greater threats, is another matter.

I’d love you to be wrong. I fear that you are right.

Post #510382  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:24 pm 

I hope that City’s keeper puts in the same performance against us.

Post #510383  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:28 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

When I say 'we', I mean responsible public health authorities, not idiots who are currently building bunkers and stockpiling toilet paper and baked beans.

Where is Kiwi, I wonder. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #510384  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:28 pm 

Disappointing results today, I was hoping for Chelsea and MU to drop points in games that looked tough on paper.

Both City and Everton were right out of sorts and you can guarantee City will be right at it on Wednesday after today's shocker.

I think top four is looking nigh on impossible unless we win on Wed, especially given that we have some tough fixures in the run-in.

Post #510385  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:32 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Amazing how "normal" City seem these days. They were imperious a year ago.

I wouldn't count on them looking 'normal' against us. I'll settle for less imperious looking than West Ham. But here's hoping.

Amazing stats: City had 73% of possession but only 37% of shots at goal.

Post #510386  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:33 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I hope that City’s keeper puts in the same performance against us.

I’d love you to be right. I fear that you are wrong.

Post #510387  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:34 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Amazing stats: City had 73% of possession but only 37% of shots at goal.

Very similar to ours yesterday.

Post #510388  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:45 pm 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

When I say 'we', I mean responsible public health authorities, not idiots who are currently building bunkers and stockpiling toilet paper and baked beans.

Where is Kiwi, I wonder. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Kiwi has heard about these online viruses and is self isolating.

Post #510389  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:57 pm 

This season's shirts are half price on the Adidas website if anyone is interested.

Post #510390  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:26 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

You’re right but I read that not many people who get it In this country are dying. Myself I would prefer people to be informed adequately enough to make their own decision on how to live their lives, because it won’t be possible to avoid contact with other people. Close down shopping centres? No chance.

If I was given the chance to continue attending Arsenal games, I would choose to and I don’t give a rat’s arse if Top Gun would reach another decision. But I think people, including me and him, should have the freedom to make our own choices.

Post #510391  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:41 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

You’re right but I read that not many people who get it In this country are dying. Myself I would prefer people to be informed adequately enough to make their own decision on how to live their lives, because it won’t be possible to avoid contact with other people. Close down shopping centres? No chance.

If I was given the chance to continue attending Arsenal games, I would choose to and I don’t give a rat’s arse if Top Gun would reach another decision. But I think people, including me and him, should have the freedom to make our own choices.

That's quite a selfish attitude, though, Bernard. What if you attend the game and pick up the virus and then pass it on to your wife and kids or other relatives, some of whom subsequently die? I'd hate to have that on my conscience.

Post #510392  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:47 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

That's quite a selfish attitude, though, Bernard. What if you attend the game and pick up the virus and then pass it on to your wife and kids or other relatives, some of whom subsequently die? .

And all to see a bog average mid table finish :laughing7:

It’s not like we are on the cusp of the treble is it

Post #510393  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:56 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Looks like a perfect match for Martinelli to do his magic once again.

OGS has set the template for how to play them. It is a low defensive block, hit fast on the counter and pressurise their dodgy defence, and recently error prone gk. the question is do we have enough nous and players to sit in our own box and have only 25% possession and remain concentrated?
Id be trying a front 3 of Martinelli left, Aubameyang central, Nelson right.
I don’t think this is a game for Özil either. He’s no good as an extra defensive body buzzing around the edge of our box, and he’s not really a fast counter player. You could make an argument for Willock as he can travel with the ball quickly over distance. You could also make an argument for Guendouzi’s energy.
Selection will be crucial.

Post #510394  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:00 pm 

Governments are taking their advice from WHO and medical experts. It is in absolutely no government's interest to overhype Covid 19 because the ultimate fall-out here is a serious hit to economies, health services breaking under the strain and, quite simply, people dying.

Post #510395  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:12 pm 

Decaf wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Attachment:
download.jpeg

I've got some excellent face masks (actually dust masks but who'd know). How about a straight swap?

Thanks for the offer Decaf but I've decided to keep hold of my supersoft 3-ply, my one little bit of luxury.

Post #510396  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:14 pm 

dec wrote:
Governments are taking their advice from WHO and medical experts. It is in absolutely no government's interest to overhype Covid 19 because the ultimate fall-out here is a serious hit to economies, health services breaking under the strain and, quite simply, people dying.

Agree with this. The deaths are starting to really ramp up now, in Italy for instance.

Post #510397  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:24 pm 

dec wrote:

I do wonder if people realise how bad it could get. I’m not a fan of the current government at all who are mostly complete wankers however I think they have done a decent job in not creating more hysteria about this.

JP morgan will move its sales and marketing organisation from Canary Wharf to basingstoke this week, that’s a pretty major decision. This could get bad

I hope everyone on the forum stays safe with this about.

Post #510398  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:34 pm 

socrates wrote:
Disappointing results today, I was hoping for Chelsea and MU to drop points in games that looked tough on paper.

Both City and Everton were right out of sorts and you can guarantee City will be right at it on Wednesday after today's shocker.

I think top four is looking nigh on impossible unless we win on Wed, especially given that we have some tough fixures in the run-in.

We're only top 4 in London because West Ham have been cr@p. Palace is close enough in the table to sniff the food at the concession stands.

Post #510399  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:35 pm 

socrates wrote:
This season's shirts are half price on the Adidas website if anyone is interested.

Any Mustafi ones left? With his recent form, I'm sure they are running low.

Post #510400  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

I do wonder if people realise how bad it could get. I’m not a fan of the current government at all who are mostly complete wankers however I think they have done a decent job in not creating more hysteria about this.

JP morgan will move its sales and marketing organisation from Canary Wharf to basingstoke this week, that’s a pretty major decision. This could get bad

I hope everyone on the forum stays safe with this about.

Hi TG,

If the virus is not brought under control quickly things could get incredibly bad. Even more so if the virus mutates into a more virulent form.

The govt needs to buy time to adequately equip its hospitals and to develop tests and hopefully treatments or vaccines, which are unlikely in the short term.

I've never known a time where quarantines were imposed in major cities like Milan over something like this which must show just how seriously the world is now taking the threat of the virus.

If cases here begin to rise exponentially then I think it is inevitable that restrictions on public gatherings will be implemented, and rightly so.

[ 571989 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12757, 12758, 12759, 12760, 12761, 12762, 12763 ... 14300  Next