Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 348 guests

Post #507561  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:59 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Sky now reporting that Xhaka has agreed terms with Hertha Berlin (according to his agent).

Why pick him for last night’s game then? The only reasons would seem to be either that we had absolute no better option or that we want to raise his transfer fee.

How much would playing against Bournemouth raise his transfer fee? I would say there’s more chance of him getting seriously injured and endangering any deal than raising his transfer fee. If the agent is saying terms between Xhaka and Hertha have already been agreed, does that imply the clubs have already agreed a transfer fee?

Otherwise if Arsenal and Hertha’s valuations are miles apart for the transfer fee, wouldn’t the agent be in danger of negotiating Xhaka’s terms with Berlin for nothing if Arsenal aren’t going to accept what they’re willing to offer? If so wouldn’t that waste his and the club’s time.

Post #507562  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:15 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Sky now reporting that Xhaka has agreed terms with Hertha Berlin (according to his agent).

Will he be playing the same position he did with us, the team set back ?

Post #507563  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:23 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:
Amazing how often Liverpool’s front 3 make something happen from what I’d consider a bit of a punt downfield from their defenders. They play a lot of long accurate passes as well but those front 3 are so intelligent, mobile and hungry. They know how to use their body to beat the bigger man to a punted ball

Everytime those balls get fired up to Salah Mané and Firminiho I’m constantly amazed when they control it as I’m far more used to it just bouncing out. They get immediate attacking possession That front three are astonishing frankly. B*stards :laughing7:

It's very good to watch and frankly I'm enjoying it. I see no point cutting off my nose to spite my face. If I want to torture myself I'll watch Arsenal.

Post #507564  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:52 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Ash wrote:

Yes I’m sure Pépé is a RADA trained actor with that performance of fakery after Cook took him out from behind at pace and then followed through. Oh for the days when players like him had their sights lowered and their legs snapped for trying anything as poncey as... trying a skill... or beating their man with ...actual footballing ability, oh the horror.

You can’t encourage the skill based side of the game without clamping down on the reducer which is a cowards way to play. And guess what you get booked for diving too nowadays. Probably why there wasn’t any in this game.

Alright get off your high horse ... I didn't actually see the 'reducer' I was in and out getting myself some breakfast .

If you’re going to go on an endless list of ‘real men’ players of yesteryear that outshine the pansies of today, without even seeing what I was bloody talking about! I’m afraid you’re going to have to endure me administering medicine with my extra long spoon as I perch atop of my high horse :laughing7:

Post #507565  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:59 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Ash wrote:

Everytime those balls get fired up to Salah Mané and Firminiho I’m constantly amazed when they control it as I’m far more used to it just bouncing out. They get immediate attacking possession That front three are astonishing frankly. B*stards :laughing7:

So Klopp has watched Wimbledon videos and now all is amazing in the world. He didn't discover it. You just have to have the right players for your system.

Yes, that’s why we’re all mentioning the front three and how good they are not the system!

Likewise Klopp didn’t discover a new brilliant defensive system, he threw 150M at Alison and Van Dyke. Not to take too much away from Klopp, I think he’s great.

Post #507566  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:02 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Ash wrote:

It's very good to watch and frankly I'm enjoying it. I see no point cutting off my nose to spite my face. If I want to torture myself I'll watch Arsenal.

You’re a better man than I in that case... I want a meteor to strike everyone they walk out. Obviously I wouldn’t want anyone hurt, just a mild unbeaten-title-tilt-derailing impact.

Post #507567  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:04 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So, what are you expecting from Arteta for the rest of the season to say he ended the season successfully?

Saving us from relegation would be enough for me. Something needs to change or we will be playing Millwall next season.

Post #507568  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:06 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I wish The Sun was more reliable.
Bit harsh that AG - it come up everyday - what more do you want?

Post #507569  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:10 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I wish The Sun was more reliable.
Bit harsh that AG - it come up everyday - what more do you want?

:laughing7:

Post #507570  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:32 pm 

omoh, I assume the main reason you don't want to play Millwall is because you are not looking forward to the away matches at the Den and having to roll up your sleeves and put in work on the Bushwackers.

Post #507571  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:47 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
omoh, I assume the main reason you don't want to play Millwall is because you are not looking forward to the away matches at the Den and having to roll up your sleeves and put in work on the Bushwackers.
As it happens AG I'd love to see Arsenal play Millwall (both my boyhood teams), but only if the Lions get promoted, or we meet in one of the cups.

Talking of Millwall I recommend this documentary by Ole Jensen and Chris Haydon, which I was pleased to be a little involved in on the research side.
https://vimeo.com/302697708

Post #507572  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Why pick him for last night’s game then? The only reasons would seem to be either that we had absolute no better option or that we want to raise his transfer fee.

How much would playing against Bournemouth raise his transfer fee? I would say there’s more chance of him getting seriously injured and endangering any deal than raising his transfer fee. If the agent is saying terms between Xhaka and Hertha have already been agreed, does that imply the clubs have already agreed a transfer fee?

Otherwise if Arsenal and Hertha’s valuations are miles apart for the transfer fee, wouldn’t the agent be in danger of negotiating Xhaka’s terms with Berlin for nothing if Arsenal aren’t going to accept what they’re willing to offer? If so wouldn’t that waste his and the club’s time.

It might have improved our negotiating position a smidgeon. It would be harder to sell a player that we visibly couldn’t use at all.

I’m not saying that either of the two scenarios that I suggested are the right one. It’s simply that I was astounded to see him in the line up given his previous and given that his imminent departure is being widely touted.

Post #507573  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:53 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
It might have improved our negotiating position a smidgeon. It would be harder to sell a player that we visibly couldn’t use at all.

I’m not saying that either of the two scenarios that I suggested are the right one. It’s simply that I was astounded to see him in the line up given his previous and given that his imminent departure is being widely touted.

Perhaps it’s no more complicated than Arteta, along with Wenger, Emery and Ljungberg before him, simply rates Xhaka as a player a lot more highly than you and many others? So while Xhaka is still at the club, might Arteta be more than willing to pick him?

Post #507574  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:43 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Perhaps it’s no more complicated than Arteta, along with Wenger, Emery and Ljungberg before him, simply rates Xhaka as a player a lot more highly than you and many others? So while Xhaka is still at the club, might Arteta be more than willing to pick him?

It could be that.

Although if he rates him as much as you suggest then why would the club sell him? It’s not as though we are overstocked in that area of the pitch.

Post #507575  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:11 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
It could be that.

Although if he rates him as much as you suggest then why would the club sell him? It’s not as though we are overstocked in that area of the pitch.

Perhaps Xhaka wants to go? After all, if I was a betting man my money would be on Aubameyang leaving in the next six months or so and I bet the club would rather keep him. Players have, if not all the power, then much of it these days.

Post #507576  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:30 pm 

Regarding Xhaka, and I realise these are values from a bygone age, but his petulant display and reaction to being substituted in the Palace game was enough for me to never want to see him in an Arsenal shirt again.

Post #507577  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:08 pm 

Greeny wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Regarding Xhaka, and I realise these are values from a bygone age, but his petulant display and reaction to being substituted in the Palace game was enough for me to never want to see him in an Arsenal shirt again.

Are they values from a bygone age?

Xhaka and the culture he was brought up in are more than "bygone", and I think his actions that game, as Captain, could have been enough for a blood feud against his family.
I wonder if he would have done it were he playing as captain of Albania?

Of course the rat didn't want to play for Albania, so his character was clear already.

Well on this occasion I'm prepared to settle for a transfer away rather than a full scale blood feud against his family.
I like to think I'm a reasonable man.

Post #507578  Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:30 pm 

Ash wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
So Klopp has watched Wimbledon videos and now all is amazing in the world. He didn't discover it. You just have to have the right players for your system.

Yes, that’s why we’re all mentioning the front three and how good they are not the system!

Likewise Klopp didn’t discover a new brilliant defensive system, he threw 150M at Alison and Van Dyke. Not to take too much away from Klopp, I think he’s great.

The point I was trying to make was that Wimbledon were just made fun of, because they played long ball. Klopp has some very good players and to be fair to him some players who he has turned into really good players. They have great balance as a team. Just like we did with the invincibles.

That seems like a lifetime away. Great days but so was George Graham teams. Yep - a win is what it is all about.

Post #507579  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:19 am 

Greeny wrote:
we are top of the league, said we are top of the league...

Bring out the bubbly! :22encouragement:

Post #507580  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:21 am 

I don't think many supporters will mind losing Xhaka. I do hope we get a replacement. Our midfielders are too lightweight at the moment. An all-action box-to-box midfielder who will chip in with a goal every few games will be much welcomed.

Post #507581  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:40 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
As it happens AG I'd love to see Arsenal play Millwall (both my boyhood teams), but only if the Lions get promoted, or we meet in one of the cups.

Talking of Millwall I recommend this documentary by Ole Jensen and Chris Haydon, which I was pleased to be a little involved in on the research side.
https://vimeo.com/302697708

Thanks for the docu omoh, love them. Seen a bunch of them and I'll make time to see this one. You liked Millwall? Really? (that said by a person who has Palace as his 2nd London side.

Post #507582  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:51 am 

The papers are saying that City's title hopes have worsened with the loss to Wolves. The title chase is effectively over. Yes, yes, we came back from no where to beat Man Utd to the title with roughly the same number of points down. This is a different. Liverpool have the title, deservedly so and its pretty much a fight for 4th place.

Klopp will probably get manager of the year and few would argue that but I have to say, if Leicester gets runner up and were I have a vote and I'g for Rodgers. Even 3rd. No disrespect to Klopp who is doing a phenomenal job.

Post #507583  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:23 am 

Kiwi,
This sounds like a rum and coke day & night binge to me

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-21173535

Post #507584  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:10 pm 

The FA Cup game at home to Leeds is given on Arsenal.com as kicking off at 19.56 on Monday 6th January. I’ve been going to Arsenal for 52 years now and this is the only match I can ever remember that isn’t due to kick off at a firm five minute schedule.

There’s been quite an assortment of kick off times over the years. Be it on the hour, a quarter past, half past (I recall evening games routinely kicking off at 7.30 pm ‘back in the days’), or now commonly a quarter to the hour. I’m fairly certain there was a game (perhaps more than one) set to begin at 7.55 pm, so thus five minutes to the hour. But never before do I recall one due to start at 7.56 pm.

Why isn’t the Leeds game due to start at 8.00 pm, or even 7.55 pm? Might it be linked to the the expectations of the television company showing it for the demand for advertising space during the advert breaks?

https://www.arsenal.com/fixtures

Post #507585  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:
The FA Cup game at home to Leeds is given on Arsenal.com as kicking off at 19.56 on Monday 6th January. I’ve been going to Arsenal for 52 years now and this is the only match I can ever remember that isn’t due to kick off at a firm five minute schedule.

There’s been quite an assortment of kick off times over the years. Be it on the hour, a quarter past, half past (I recall evening games routinely kicking off at 7.30 pm ‘back in the days’), or now commonly a quarter to the hour. I’m fairly certain there was a game (perhaps more than one) set to begin at 7.55 pm, so thus five minutes to the hour. But never before do I recall one due to start at 7.56 pm.

Why isn’t the Leeds game due to start at 8.00 pm, or even 7.55 pm? Might it be linked to the the expectations of the television company showing it for the demand for advertising space during the advert breaks?

Most, If not all, games are kicking off at strange times in the third round Bernard. No idea why, doesn’t seem to be any logic in it.

Post #507586  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:45 pm 

Attachment:

Got these for xmas, bit before my time. Any of you even older timers go to either of these games?

Edit: no idea why they're upside down, sorry. Warrior, can you put them the right way up?
Fixed - Rog

Post #507587  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:18 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Attachment:
20191228_133248.jpg

Got these for xmas, bit before my time. Any of you even older timers go to either of these games?

Edit: no idea why they're upside down, sorry. Warrior, can you put them the right way up?

LTG and OMOH would both have been OAPs when they were played, so they might have.

Post #507588  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:19 pm 

john1 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Most, If not all, games are kicking off at strange times in the third round Bernard. No idea why, doesn’t seem to be any logic in it.

Thanks, I didn’t know that. Wonder why?

Post #507589  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:40 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Attachment:
fd.jpg

Fixed - Rog

Despite malicious rumours to the contrary these are just before my first visit to Highbury.

The format, style and pricing of the programmes is completely familiar though. I’ve still got some of those carefully stored ‘somewhere’.

Post #507590  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:32 pm 

Thanks Warrior :58big-emoticons:

Post #507591  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:46 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Attachment:
fd.jpg

Fixed - Rog

I would have been exactly 2 weeks old for the first one, don’t think my Mum would have allowed my Dad to take me somehow.

Post #507592  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:47 pm 

If Burnley get a point againest united we will slip to 13th and be only 6 points off the relegation zone ahead of our games againest chelsea and united.

This a crisis like we haven’t seen for some time and I’m not optimistic at all about tomorrow’s game.

Post #507593  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:50 pm 

Not a penalty for me in the Norwich game, interestingly didn’t show the close up angle that shows Kane going into the defender when the pundits were backing Kane.

Post #507594  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:52 pm 

Fortunately Chelsea and United are almost as flakey as us.

Post #507595  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:49 pm 

If Xhaka is not in the squad because he is leaving it would seem an inopportune moment to leave him out with Chelsea and United in quick succession. A bit like shooting yourself in the foot.

I'm far from his biggest fan but I would probably have started him tomorrow and against United because Guendouzi and Torreira does not seem to work and there are few other alternatives.

It surely would have made sense to bring a replacement in before selling him, especially with key games ahead.

Post #507596  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:52 pm 

The Kroenkes better be waking up now. Their investment will go into a serious downhill spiral should this continue to be the order for the Arsenal. Mid table to relegation scraps every season.

Post #507597  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:19 pm 

socrates wrote:
If Xhaka is not in the squad because he is leaving it would seem an inopportune moment to leave him out with Chelsea and United in quick succession. A bit like shooting yourself in the foot.

I'm far from his biggest fan but I would probably have started him tomorrow and against United because Guendouzi and Torreira does not seem to work and there are few other alternatives.

It surely would have made sense to bring a replacement in before selling him, especially with key games ahead.

Sell the arrogant *%^@** as soon as possible. The opportunity to get rid of him shouldn’t be spurned.

Myth of a player. He’s not providing any match winning moments even if we do have a poverty of options.

Post #507598  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:26 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Not a penalty for me in the Norwich game, interestingly didn’t show the close up angle that shows Kane going into the defender when the pundits were backing Kane.

It's the way the game has gone. I view it as a dive. 20 years ago most players wouldn't even think of going down in that scenario. The modern game is different. It is a circus. Cheating is a bigger part of the game now than it ever was. Sad really.

Post #507599  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:42 pm 

I suggest we change our colors to blue and yellow and call ourselves the Arsenal Rams if you want the Kroenke's to take notice.

Post #507600  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:49 am 

dec wrote:
Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:

It's the way the game has gone. I view it as a dive. 20 years ago most players wouldn't even think of going down in that scenario. The modern game is different. It is a circus. Cheating is a bigger part of the game now than it ever was. Sad really.

I don’t know whether you saw the Norwich goal disallowed for offside by var. terrible decision IMO. And it would have been 2-0 to Norwich. But once again Spurs gifted by officials. They are the refs darlings. That why they found it so difficult to take the son send off. Usually they get away with it.

[ 572011 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12687, 12688, 12689, 12690, 12691, 12692, 12693 ... 14301  Next