Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 416 guests

Post #492841  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:36 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
As I said in a previous post, it was always going to be tough getting up for this match after 2 big matches. The big worry now is fielding an XI good enough to get a win at Soton.

Koscielny and Monreal CB pairing. Very rusty. You just know some non goalscoring forward like Shane Long is going to terrorise us and play his best game all season - we always struggle against him!

Reinforcements needed in January.

Post #492842  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:38 pm 

I dont think the midfield 3 of torreira/xhaka/guendouzi worked behind the front two today. no-one was playing between the lines and we lacked penetration and creativity from midfield. I think it has to be two from that 3 and either a No.10 or two wide men and 1 striker

Post #492843  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:47 pm 

Three games in a week, two of them against Man United and Tottenham and we got away with 7 of 9 points. Very good return.

Post #492844  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:54 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
You're being harsh on Huddersfield Rich. That would have been a fantastic point for them if they'd held out. And as for playing to the rules, we got three yellows for diving.

My point is that they set out for a 0-0, but for poor finishing, twice, a dodgy offside call on Lacazette we would have beaten them very well. Huddersfield tactics for a 0-0 shouldn't include relying on the ref or woeful Arsenal finishing.
Put it this way, if Huddersfield and Arsenal's roles were completely reversed in that game would Arsenal have been deemed unlucky when Huddersfield finally got the winner their play deserved? The narrative would have been Huddersfield dominated a foul happy Arsenal and deservedly won the game and could/should have won by more. The reports will take in to account the standings of the two teams but if you judge the game on 11 v11 players then Huddersfield didn't deserve a draw. Teams have shown that you can go away to a big team and compete with them playing within the rules (wolves for example were fantastic) and I've seen excellent performances at the Emirates from the likes of Swansea and Wigan in the past. I detest the tactics of continuous fouling and cheating to disrupt any flow to the game - this can be done within the rules of the game. It irks me even more that these tactics continued to be celebrated and tolerated by refs.

Yes they were ugly tactics but they almost worked. This is a much much smaller club working on a consideraby smaller budget than us. Would you have been so critical if they played like that at Tottenham or Liverpool? They did get lucky in some ways and of course we were the better team, but their job is to make it difficult for us. You can't blame them for the ref. And while they fouled, we dived. For me tactical fouling is part of the game so I don't agree with your assessment of them as cheats.
I'm just happy we nicked a late winner.

Post #492845  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:58 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Three games in a week, two of them against Man United and Tottenham and we got away with 7 of 9 points. Very good return.

Absolutely.

Post #492846  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:02 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Full time. 1-0
Poor poor game. Leggy and lack of creativity. These slow starts are especially against such weak opposition just mean that we only really give ourselves 45 minutes to beat them.

I fully expect to read match reports about how the result it ‘harsh’ on Huddersfield- rubbish. One team came to win and play football the other came to kick, spoil, defend and waste time. Arsenal clearly a deserved winner. I’m sure if that argument is put to lower league managers or fans of those teams they will come back with the childish “shall we just let arsenal play their pretty football and beat us 4-0 then?” - which totally misses the point. Teams can play however they want as long as it is within the rules of the game - if they can’t do that the ref needs to officiate the game properly

You're being harsh on Huddersfield Rich. That would have been a fantastic point for them if they'd held out. And as for playing to the rules, we got three yellows for diving.

Considering how much he'd let Hudderfield get away with, I do think booking Xhaka for diving was a poor decision by the ref. If you are going to book players for diving you need to book them for fouling too. That and the stupid disallowed goal really put Hudderfield in the match and rattled our players. Still, we need to be able to cope with that sort of thing ...which we just about did despite the yellows. Ugly wins are good wins.

Post #492847  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:14 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
My point is that they set out for a 0-0, but for poor finishing, twice, a dodgy offside call on Lacazette we would have beaten them very well. Huddersfield tactics for a 0-0 shouldn't include relying on the ref or woeful Arsenal finishing.
Put it this way, if Huddersfield and Arsenal's roles were completely reversed in that game would Arsenal have been deemed unlucky when Huddersfield finally got the winner their play deserved? The narrative would have been Huddersfield dominated a foul happy Arsenal and deservedly won the game and could/should have won by more. The reports will take in to account the standings of the two teams but if you judge the game on 11 v11 players then Huddersfield didn't deserve a draw. Teams have shown that you can go away to a big team and compete with them playing within the rules (wolves for example were fantastic) and I've seen excellent performances at the Emirates from the likes of Swansea and Wigan in the past. I detest the tactics of continuous fouling and cheating to disrupt any flow to the game - this can be done within the rules of the game. It irks me even more that these tactics continued to be celebrated and tolerated by refs.

Yes they were ugly tactics but they almost worked. This is a much much smaller club working on a consideraby smaller budget than us. Would you have been so critical if they played like that at Tottenham or Liverpool? They did get lucky in some ways and of course we were the better team, but their job is to make it difficult for us. You can't blame them for the ref. And while they fouled, we dived. For me tactical fouling is part of the game so I don't agree with your assessment of them as cheats.

Well I fully supported Klopp when he decried Burnley’s tactics the other day, which were a lot of man and ball tackles and designed to intimidate. I dislike the tactics and I dislike refs who refuse to condemn it. People roundly agree when Pep raised it on a number of occasions last year.
On the diving, I don’t think xhaka was worthy of anything, Guendouzi borderline and Mustafi is anticipating the contact but does throw himself. The thing that surprises me is how often do you see a top 6 team not get a penalty for any of those? Spurs and Liverpool for example

Post #492848  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:17 pm 

Can’t believe that I just cheered a Chelsea goal? Wtf is wrong with me?

Post #492849  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 pm 

Chelsea 1-0 City at half time

Post #492850  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:21 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Well I fully supported Klopp when he decried Burnley’s tactics the other day, which were a lot of man and ball tackles and designed to intimidate. I dislike the tactics and I dislike refs who refuse to condemn it. People roundly agree when Pep raised it on a number of occasions last year.
On the diving, I don’t think xhaka was worthy of anything, Guendouzi borderline and Mustafi is anticipating the contact but does throw himself. The thing that surprises me is how often do you see a top 6 team not get a penalty for any of those? Spurs and Liverpool for example

Well fair enough Rich. Though I think the phrase 'anticipating the contact' is ridiculous and what Xhaka thought he was doing I have no idea.

Post #492851  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:26 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Well fair enough Rich. Though I think the phrase 'anticipating the contact' is ridiculous and what Xhaka thought he was doing I have no idea.

Definitely not a penalty for me, but the problem for me is that if you're going to give a yellow card for diving when there's such clear contact you're going to have to give out a lot of yellow cards. No way any ref is going to be consistent with that. Just wave play on and let it be, in my opinion.

Different from the Guendozi situation which was just a dive plain and simple.

Post #492852  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:06 pm 

2-0 Chelsea. So maybe we don't go past them, but at least they'll ruin Citys chance of an unbeaten season if they hold on.

Post #492853  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:12 pm 

I know I’ve talked about our ref a lot but compare his performance today with that of Michael Oliver in the Chelsea v city game. There is a reason Oliver gets these big games, unfuasy, in control, let’s it be about the players and you don’t notice him and neither team can really complain

Post #492854  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:20 pm 

I think our record of scoring in all 38 league games could actually be harder to equal than our invincible season

Post #492855  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm 

Kos and Monreal need some match fitness but given Sokratis and Mustafi are banned for the next league game should we risk Kos and Monreal in the Europa League?

Post #492856  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:33 pm 

Just need Liverpool to lose now. I'd rather City win the league than Liverpool. The only positive thing I can find to say about Liverpool is that they're not quite as obnoxious as Manchester United.

Post #492857  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:44 pm 

Erikssen and Kane benched can they beat Leicester.................

Post #492858  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:32 pm 

Torreira has to be up there as one of the players of the season for any club in the prem. his two goals will have peaked the notice of people who haven’t watched all of arsenal games but irrespective of the goals he’s been right up there as one of the best players of the season

Post #492859  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:35 pm 

Think emery got the shape and formation wrong today.
Huddersfield were going to play 5-4-1 so we don’t need 3 CB, it takes away an extra attacking player. Also if we are going to play the wing backs the main threat is getting those 2v1’s in the wide areas and therefore we needed iwobi and Mkhitaryan to play on those half inside spaces to double up with the overlapping full back.

I felt 3 CB was too many and also the 3 CM were one too many and all too similar.

When teams sit in as much as Huddersfield did then we really need Özil. He doesn’t have to close people down he is going to get time on the ball and plenty of it. Even Mkhitaryan as a 10 might have worked better

Post #492860  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:25 pm 

Play Kos and Mon in the dead rubber Thurs for a bit of match practice or wrap them in cotton wool before Soham?

Post #492861  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:10 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Play Kos and Mon in the dead rubber Thurs for a bit of match practice or wrap them in cotton wool before Soham?

It was interesting that when Mustafi went off it was Monreal, not Koscielny, who came on. Might that suggest Koscielny is further away from fitness than Monreal, despite both of them being on the bench? If so, wouldn't two games in four days represent too much of a risk for Koscielny?

Post #492862  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

It was interesting that when Mustafi went off it was Monreal, not Koscielny, who came on. Might that suggest Koscielny is further away from fitness than Monreal, despite both of them being on the bench? If so, wouldn't two games in four days represent too much of a risk for Koscielny?

Absolutely. I wouldn’t play either in the Europa. Play a pair of kids, the whole team should be kids really.
Kos and Monreal HAVE to play v Saints, give them 8 more days training, they’ll likely get more out of that than a dead rubber against weak Europa league opponents.

Post #492863  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Absolutely. I wouldn’t play either in the Europa. Play a pair of kids, the whole team should be kids really.
Kos and Monreal HAVE to play v Saints, give them 8 more days training, they’ll likely get more out of that than a dead rubber against weak Europa league opponents.

Interesting points. Next is whether UE will play a flat back four at Soham or go with a five which might look like Bell Lichtsteiner Kos Mon Kol

Post #492864  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:48 am 

Best result of the week, City beaten.

Post #492865  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:37 am 

gooner7 wrote:

...of the seasons. Invincibles live for another season.

Post #492866  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:39 am 

I think now the league and the top 5 clubs have changed their view of us and now consider us a threat. I still hear a few pundits here and there count us out of the top 4 but they don't say it as convincingly as they did before.
Emery may be the talk of the town to some extent but Sarri has been a revelation in my opinion. Chelsea were 5th last season, 30 points off pace. The result against City was massive for a few reasons.

Post #492867  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:39 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

...of the seasons. Invincibles live for another season.

Liverpool are still unbeaten - I predict that you will notice this at some point and then post on here how worried you are, the sleepless nights etc etc

Post #492868  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:11 am 

Reports this morning that Arsenal are trying to offload Özil to Inter Milan for £25m and also to shift his £350k off the wage bill. Or £18m per season.

Post #492869  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:22 am 

Rich wrote:
Reports this morning that Arsenal are trying to offload Özil to Inter Milan for £25m and also to shift his £350k off the wage bill. Or £18m per season.

Arsenal will consider flogging Mesut Özil for just £25m in January with Inter Milan interested

Gunners are running out of patience with Özil and want to get his £350,000-a-week wages off the books

Linkage: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7933573/ ... nterested/

Post #492870  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:04 am 

warrior wrote:
Rich wrote:

Arsenal will consider flogging Mesut Özil for just £25m in January with Inter Milan interested

Gunners are running out of patience with Özil and want to get his £350,000-a-week wages off the books

If he did leave I would have no problems. The club now has a great culture & it can get better. Perform or you are out of the team/ club. No favourites & results & effort matter. I think Emery learnt some lessons from the problems at PSG & he does not want to get into those bad habits. Özil is one of Wenger last big mistakes - renewed his contract to try & save his own job.

Post #492871  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:22 am 

warrior wrote:
Rich wrote:

It seems logical letting him go but on the rare occasions he plays he does contribute so if we do sell we will need to bring in another creative outlet. The rumour has it the club are due to make a 70million loss this year so I’m not sure how much can be spent on replacements.

Post #492872  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:50 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
warrior wrote:

It seems logical letting him go but on the rare occasions he plays he does contribute so if we do sell we will need to bring in another creative outlet. The rumour has it the club are due to make a 70million loss this year so I’m not sure how much can be spent on replacements.

If the losses can be put primarily down to lack of champions league football and a high wage bill I still can’t quite square it in my head how the likes of spurs and Liverpool were able to still spend huge amounts when they weren’t regulars in the champions league. I know spurs wage bill was significantly lower but Liverpool’s has always been comparable to ours

Post #492873  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:53 am 

If we lose Ramsey, Özil and Welbeck for peanuts I’m not sure how we would replace them. That’s a lot of shoes to fill for a limited budget.

Then Čech and Monreal are out of contract in the summer and may need to be replaced.

Post #492874  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:00 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If the losses can be put primarily down to lack of champions league football and a high wage bill I still can’t quite square it in my head how the likes of spurs and Liverpool were able to still spend huge amounts when they weren’t regulars in the champions league. I know spurs wage bill was significantly lower but Liverpool’s has always been comparable to ours

AST explanation

Overview

Arsenal's financial performance for the year 2017/18 shows the following developments:

· Matchday, Broadcast and Commercial revenue have all fallen. This is largely a result of playing in the Europa League and overall the impact has been a loss of revenue of £40m (of which non participation in the CL has contributed a £35m reduction)

· At the same time there was a major increase in the wage bill of about 17.5%, from £200 to £235m (this includes allowance for pay offs to AW and his staff which may be treated as an exceptional payment).

· The amortisation costs (cost of buying players spread over length of their contract) also increased significantly - by £19m.

· The result of this increase in costs and reduced revenue is an operating loss of £44m (£52m operating profit in the previous year)

· However Arsenal had a major sale of players in this period including Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott and Sanchez. The impact of these sales gives Arsenal a profit before tax of almost £70m

· It is not a sustainable position for Arsenal to rely on player sales to finance their business model year after year. Looking ahead to the current season there have been very few receipts from player sales and a wage bill that is still increasing

· Taking all these factors together the AST predicts that in the present season of 2018/19 that Arsenal are heading toward making a loss of nearly £70m (in the absence of any player sales). At the operating level we predict a loss of c£60m.

· There are new commercial deals starting to come on stream that will give a boost in 2019 but these figures demonstrate why Arsenal really do need to secure a Champions league position at the end of the season.

· At the end of the current 2018/19 season we forecast cash available for player purchases of c £40m.

Post #492875  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:21 am 

Rich wrote:
Torreira has to be up there as one of the players of the season for any club in the prem. his two goals will have peaked the notice of people who haven’t watched all of arsenal games but irrespective of the goals he’s been right up there as one of the best players of the season

It's funny because I thought Torreira had a weaker game than usual apart from the goal, and Xhaka was comfortably our best midfielder on the day. It's typical how even a defensive midfielder starts to get noticed when he scores goals, rather than when he's doing his actual job better than anyone in the league week in week out.

Post #492876  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:23 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Özil is one of Wenger last big mistakes - renewed his contract to try & save his own job.

Sorry but this is utter nonsense - the club renewed his contract, because he's one of the very best playmakers in world football.

Post #492877  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:23 pm 

I have optimised the forums tables so it should be a bit faster now hopefully.

Rog ...

Post #492878  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:44 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
It's funny because I thought Torreira had a weaker game than usual apart from the goal, and Xhaka was comfortably our best midfielder on the day. It's typical how even a defensive midfielder starts to get noticed when he scores goals, rather than when he's doing his actual job better than anyone in the league week in week out.

I thought Torreira had his worse game of the season. He was okay rather than poor, but I didn't think he played as well as Guendouzi or Xhaka.

Post #492879  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:52 pm 

Rich wrote:

Will be good business too. Then pass some of that savings onto a new contract for Ramsey. Ramsey has started to earn his right.

Post #492880  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:53 pm 

Rumor mill is Welbeck is being off loaded to Turkey, Galatasaray. It will never happen but if the Özil rumors are true, I wouldn't mind seeing Fabregas back for one last hooray. Yes, I'm biased favorably for him. When Henry left he became my favorite player.

[ 572038 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12319, 12320, 12321, 12322, 12323, 12324, 12325 ... 14301  Next