Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 295 guests

Post #480321  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:15 pm 

I don't suppose anybody out there has a spare season ticket they want to let me use occasionally or buy.

I probably won't be able to make the midweek evening games but am willing to take them on and if it suits you you can have first dibs on them.

Come on chaps here's your chance to recover some of your costs if you have more than one season ticket.

Post #480322  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:29 pm 

Darren wrote:
We’re going to be the cash cow that funds his American sports teams. We’re *%^@**. RIP Arsenal.

I doubt that, simply because our earning potential and global reach are so much greater than any of those. Also it would be a massive departure from form.

Not that I'm not deeply uneasy about today's development and still furious at our ex custodians and their complete disregard for fans in most of their decisions.

Post #480323  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:33 pm 

Daz wrote:
No my favourite moment is when Aaronovitch says "I'm here to testify your head was not cut off" and Andrew Neil says "well are you sure about that?"

:53big-emoticons:

Post #480324  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:34 pm 

"Call me old-fashioned but we don't need Kroenke's money and we don't want his sort. Our objective is to keep Arsenal English, albeit with a lot of foreign players. I don't know for certain if Kroenke will mount a hostile takeover for our club but we shall resist it with all our might.

"We are all being seduced that the Americans will ride into town with pots of cash for new players. It simply isn't the case. They only see an opportunity to make money. They know absolutely nothing about our football and we don't want these types involved."

Peter Hill-Wood 2007

Post #480325  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:38 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I do wonder what it actually means for the club in reality.

I guess the best case scenario is that Kroenke simply takes something like 5-10 million quid out of the clubs revenue per annum to cover the loan from Deutsche Bank. This will hit our transfer budget and wouldn’t be visible to us anymore due to no AGM and annual report. It’s incredible to think this is the best thing that could happen.

Worst case would be if he tried something like the FA with Wembley selling off our stadium and renting it back from somebody else. If that ever happened I would be totally done and finished with everything about Arsenal.
Be interesting to hear from Dein and Lady Nina right now?

Nina tweeted two hours ago.
'It is truly a sad day for Arsenal Football Club'.

Post #480326  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:00 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Be interesting to hear from Dein and Lady Nina right now?

Did you read the responses to her tweet! She was absolutely savaged for being the hypocritical sloshpot she is.

Post #480327  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Did you read the responses to her tweet! She was absolutely savaged for being the hypocritical sloshpot she is.

No, fair to say it didn’t go down well! Did she sell to Kroenke or Usmanov? Can’t remember.

Post #480328  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
No, fair to say it didn’t go down well! Did she sell to Kroenke or Usmanov? Can’t remember.

She sold to Kroenke, along with Fiszman.

Post #480329  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:38 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Darren wrote:
We’re going to be the cash cow that funds his American sports teams. We’re *%^@**. RIP Arsenal.

I doubt that, simply because our earning potential and global reach are so much greater than any of those.

Doesn't "our earning potential and global reach" support Darren's view?

Post #480330  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:42 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I guess the best case scenario is that Kroenke simply takes something like 5-10 million quid out of the clubs revenue per annum to cover the loan from Deutsche Bank. This will hit our transfer budget and wouldn’t be visible to us anymore due to no AGM and annual report. It’s incredible to think this is the best thing that could happen.

Worst case would be if he tried something like the FA with Wembley selling off our stadium and renting it back from somebody else. If that ever happened I would be totally done and finished with everything about Arsenal.

It would be insane for him to sell the ground. He's not cash poor, and the real estate value alone is increasing at a rate that far outstrips most investments. This isn't some out of town half-empty bowl in the midlands - this is prime property quite near the centre of one of the most valuable cities in the world property wise. I mean he could sell it, but he'd have to be a moron.

Post #480331  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
lomekian wrote:
I doubt that, simply because our earning potential and global reach are so much greater than any of those.

It depends - If he and his family see Arsenal purely as an investment and have no interest in the sporting element, it would. But to spend the money he did at the time he did would be an incredibly round about way of doing things. But then even if his interest is purely financial, he would surely recognise how much more earning potential the club would have had ditching Wenger 2 years ago and with a little more squad investment.

Post #480332  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:13 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It depends - If he and his family see Arsenal purely as an investment and have no interest in the sporting element, it would. But to spend the money he did at the time he did would be an incredibly round about way of doing things. But then even if his interest is purely financial, he would surely recognise how much more earning potential the club would have had ditching Wenger 2 years ago and with a little more squad investment.

I wouldn't bet on him realising two years ago that ditching Wenger and investing in the squad a little more would have increased the earning potential. I think what made it easier for Gazidis to persuade Kroenke to sack him was the number of empty seats at the Emirates last season. If the tickets were already sold, it didn't make much difference financially. But he'd have been told those tickets may not be pre-sold for 2018/19.

Also, is Gazidis leaving a sign of rats deserting a sinking ship? Considering he's just put himself in the positiom he wanted at Arsenal with Wenger going and the new structure, it wouldn't surprise me.

Post #480333  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:17 pm 

Chambers loan to Fulham has been confirmed.

https://www.arsenal.com

Post #480334  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:42 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:
This is a dark, dark day in the history of Arsenal FC...
Not as bad as the days when we let David Herd and Frank Stapleton sign for United...

The loss of no player, anywhere, can be as bad as this.

Post #480335  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 pm 

Daz wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxWfhJOP0E

Little treat for Kiwi Pete - we know he likes a conspiracy.

My favourite moment is right at the end: "we have an idiot on the programme".

:laughing7: what a braindead klutz ..... stupid beyond belief

Post #480336  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It would be insane for him to sell the ground. He's not cash poor, and the real estate value alone is increasing at a rate that far outstrips most investments. This isn't some out of town half-empty bowl in the midlands - this is prime property quite near the centre of one of the most valuable cities in the world property wise. I mean he could sell it, but he'd have to be a moron.

I think your right but aren’t all the reasons you have mentioned there reasons he might be tempted to cash in if he went down the asset stripping route ? Ie prime real estate centre of London.

I just don’t trust Kroenke one iota to do right by Arsenal. I think your right and I don’t think it will happen and can foresee a scenario where arsenal just end up paying off the loan he’s clearly going to leverage on onto the club and that’s it. Other than that you can’t run an asset this valuable into the ground unless you are an absolute shark villain. His reputation as a businessmen would be in the gutter.

Post #480337  Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:08 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
"Call me old-fashioned but we don't need Kroenke's money and we don't want his sort. Our objective is to keep Arsenal English, albeit with a lot of foreign players. I don't know for certain if Kroenke will mount a hostile takeover for our club but we shall resist it with all our might.

"We are all being seduced that the Americans will ride into town with pots of cash for new players. It simply isn't the case. They only see an opportunity to make money. They know absolutely nothing about our football and we don't want these types involved."

Peter Hill-Wood 2007

The witterings of an idiot , Hill Wood has the brains of a semi comotose axylotl

He watered down his birthright plus sold that block of supposedly worthless shares to Dein for a couple of hundred thousand ...which netted Dave around 14 million ? later .... said it was " a gesture from a supporter ; they'll never be worth money "

All this weeping and wailing ........ :laughing7: what say we wait and see what actually happens before we all perfom seppuku in front of the Emirates .

Anyway bollocks to Arsenal and their Yankee doodle owner ... I'm going out to the workshop and build a metal art sculpture ..skull head piston on a nuts and bolts motorbike , Midi gun on the side .......... the ultimate in cool

Post #480338  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:10 am 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Not as bad as the days when we let David Herd and Frank Stapleton sign for United...

The loss of no player, anywhere, can be as bad as this.
The club many of us have admired for so long was always going to be changed for ever once the billionaires and oligarchs came on the scene and pumped their ridiculous money into it. Football is still a great game, but massive money has killed it at the top level. There is no longer much connection between the Premiership players and the fans, and even less so between the owners and fans. Perhaps it doesn't matter to many, but that our manager does not command enough English to speak to us half-acceptably, I find depressing.

Post #480339  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:39 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Did they have a choice? Will you?

Post #480340  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:53 am 

bubblechris wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Did they have a choice? Will you?

Fiszman and Bracewell-Smith did have the choice whether or not to sell to Kroenke, as did Usmanov. Small shareholders like me won't.

Post #480341  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:22 am 

Soyuncu, a Turkish defender we’ve been linked to all summer for £30m+ is now linked with Leicester for £22m as they look to fill the hole potentially left by Maguire going to Man U for a big fee.

I think we desperately need another CB for the season.
Sok, mustafi, holding, mavropanos and an aging Kos who’s out until Xmas is not strong enough for a top 4 challenge.

I’m concerned that the attributes of our defence don’t line up with the manager’s style of high press. For that to really work you need a high defensive line and therefore very quick defenders. If Emery insists on Sokratis playing near the half way line he’s going to get skinned in behind by even the most journeymen of forwards.

Post #480342  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:27 am 

Rich wrote:
Soyuncu, a Turkish defender we’ve been linked to all summer for £30m+ is now linked with Leicester for £22m as they look to fill the hole potentially left by Maguire going to Man U for a big fee.

Sok, mustafi, holding, mavropanos and an aging Kos who’s out until Xmas is not strong enough for a top 4 challenge.

I’m concerned that the attributes of our defence don’t line up with the manager’s style of high press. For that to really work you need a high defensive line and therefore very quick defenders. If Emery insists on Sokratis playing near the half way line he’s going to get skinned in behind by even the most journeymen of forwards.

It's all pretty bizarre, Rich.

If we wanted the turkish kid why not sign him now we have loaned out Chambers?. Rather that than another ageing journeyman defender like Vida.

No idea why we signed Sokratis. By all accounts he struggled against Boreham Wood.

As you point out, a high line is no place for defenders who lack athleticism and pace.

Post #480343  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:05 am 

http://dailycannon.com/2018/08/arsenal- ... -kit-deal/

New kit deal close - would double our current £30m per season Puma deal

Post #480344  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:20 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
but that our manager does not command enough English to speak to us half-acceptably, I find depressing.

Little bit depressing?

Post #480345  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:29 am 

We've always been run by a combination of spivs and chinless wonders. "The Arsenal way" was a total self-serving myth. But once everybody accepted that it was fine for the players of the top clubs in a domestic league not to reflect in any way the country in which they were located ("blood and soil nazism") the writing was on the wall. Throw in the moneymen and that's why I couldn't really give a *%^@ any longer about the ins and outs of our central defence and have no real idea who will be playing for Arsenal next season. I'll watch the odd game on TV I guess and take a passing interest in league position but will continue going with my son to Brentford even if we do maddeningly sell our best players at the start of each new season. For what it's worth, Dean Smith is a likeable guy, speaks passable English, and has the team playing slick passing football. You could do worse...

Post #480346  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:41 am 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
but that our manager does not command enough English to speak to us half-acceptably, I find depressing.

Little bit depressing?
Overall, but especially when the handbrake is on.

Post #480347  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:49 am 

Daz wrote:
... I'll watch the odd game on TV I guess and take a passing interest in league position but will continue going with my son to Brentford even if we do maddeningly sell our best players at the start of each new season. For what it's worth, Dean Smith is a likeable guy, speaks passable English, and has the team playing slick passing football. You could do worse...
Keep going because the 'lower' leagues is where you find proper football enjoyment and realistic fans. Went to The Darts last night and we beat Chelmsford City at home for the first time in 18 years through an Elliott Bradbrook header. Both sides had a manager dismissed - loved it!
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/sp ... in-187604/

Post #480348  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:52 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:
... I'll watch the odd game on TV I guess and take a passing interest in league position but will continue going with my son to Brentford even if we do maddeningly sell our best players at the start of each new season. For what it's worth, Dean Smith is a likeable guy, speaks passable English, and has the team playing slick passing football. You could do worse...
Keep going because the 'lower' leagues is where you find proper football enjoyment and realistic fans. Went to The Darts last night and we beat Chelmsford City at home for the first time in 18 years through an Elliott Bradbrook header. Both sides had a manager dismissed - loved it!

Quite possibly although proper football enjoyment is found in the Surrey Youth League mainly observing the demented nature of some of the parents who are a very long way from "realistic".

Post #480349  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:12 am 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Quite possibly although proper football enjoyment is found in the Surrey Youth League mainly observing the demented nature of some of the parents who are a very long way from "realistic".

Have you witnessed any touchline punch-ups among the parents?

Post #480350  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am 

socrates wrote:
Daz wrote:

Have you witnessed any touchline punch-ups among the parents?

Yes several although it's mostly handbags. Some of it is funny, some of it is a bit depressing. Easily the worst parents are the ones who berate and swear at THEIR OWN KIDS.

I mean what the actual *%^@!?!?

The touch paper always comes with offsides because one dad from each side has to run the line and that always causes massive problems...

Post #480351  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:17 am 

And some of the mums.

"Calum! Calum! Don't let 'im treat ya like a *%^@ just fakin take him at next time"

Etcetera.

I try and distract them by offering debates on sophism but they'll have none of it.

Post #480352  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:35 am 

My predictions for the year. Sixth or seventh for us. Defensively I think we look very poor. A lot of youngsters to make a name for themselves in break through seasons for them. I think we will score a few goals but it will not be enough in some games. Man city & Liverpool to battle it out. Mourinho to go before Christmas. Spurs to finish 5th just ahead of Chelsea .

Post #480353  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:30 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
My predictions for the year. Sixth or seventh for us. Defensively I think we look very poor. A lot of youngsters to make a name for themselves in break through seasons for them. I think we will score a few goals but it will not be enough in some games. Man city & Liverpool to battle it out. Mourinho to go before Christmas. Spurs to finish 5th just ahead of Chelsea .

So you think Man City and Liverpool will come first and second in whatever order. You must reckon Manchester United will have a bad enough first half of the season to get Mourinho the sack by Christmas. But I'm assuming you fancy them to have a strong enough second half of the campaign to finish third. You must put Tottenham fifth, Chelsea sixth and Arsenal seventh.

So who do you expect to come fourth? Bvrnley, Leicester or Everton maybe?

Post #480354  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:33 am 

Daz wrote:
We've always been run by a combination of spivs and chinless wonders. "The Arsenal way" was a total self-serving myth. But once everybody accepted that it was fine for the players of the top clubs in a domestic league not to reflect in any way the country in which they were located ("blood and soil nazism") the writing was on the wall. Throw in the moneymen and that's why I couldn't really give a *%^@ any longer about the ins and outs of our central defence and have no real idea who will be playing for Arsenal next season. I'll watch the odd game on TV I guess and take a passing interest in league position but will continue going with my son to Brentford even if we do maddeningly sell our best players at the start of each new season. For what it's worth, Dean Smith is a likeable guy, speaks passable English, and has the team playing slick passing football. You could do worse...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... -promotion

one for you Daz

Post #480355  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:36 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

It's all pretty bizarre, Rich.

If we wanted the turkish kid why not sign him now we have loaned out Chambers?. Rather that than another ageing journeyman defender like Vida.

No idea why we signed Sokratis. By all accounts he struggled against Boreham Wood.

As you point out, a high line is no place for defenders who lack athleticism and pace.

Going into the season with an unfit 32 year old left back and relying on a central midfield player as cover is just bizarre. Makes no sense at all and will come back to bite us on the Arsenal methinks.

Post #480356  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:27 pm 

tomc wrote:
Daz wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... -promotion

one for you Daz

Cheers, tom, I am a little sad at losing Ryan Woods who is both a really good player and a ginge - can't have enough of either as I am sure Babu will agree if he isn't drinking fentanyl tea and firing flares at the ceiling. Ex-gooner Nico Yennaris is still chugging around the midfield though.

Post #480357  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 pm 

Hey Daz do you not still have a season ticket? Can I help you get rid of it temporarily or permanently?

Anyone else?

Post #480358  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:59 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Hey Daz do you not still have a season ticket? Can I help you get rid of it temporarily or permanently?

Anyone else?

sorry let mine go this time round but will give you a shout if I hear of any games when tickets available among group I used to go with

Post #480359  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:25 pm 

Lot of talk about us making a late move for Vida.

Strange that I find myself concerned with signing a 29 year old CB who I only saw play (and play well) at the World Cup and would rather sign a 22 year old Turkish lad who I’ve not seen play at all.

For me it’s a gut feeling on transfers and I can’t help but feel that whilst we have gone for top quality players in midfield and attack we seem to be settling for very much second tier and short term punts in defence.

Post #480360  Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:02 pm 

Rich wrote:
For me it’s a gut feeling on transfers and I can’t help but feel that whilst we have gone for top quality players in midfield and attack we seem to be settling for very much second tier and short term punts in defence.
The old cliche about the spine of a team remains true. Have Rio, Stam, Vidic,Terry, Carvalho or Kompany at centre-back and you are well on the way to winning titles. Truth is The Gunners have bought only one great centre-back in years - Sol - and of the countless punts only Kolo and Koscielny worked out. Highly-rated men like Gallas and Vermaelen fell short of what was needed, as did many young prospects and not-so-young gambles. The current lot inspire little confidence. Nor does Vida. Boateng would be better.

[ 562427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12006, 12007, 12008, 12009, 12010, 12011, 12012 ... 14061  Next