Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot] and 255 guests

Post #526681  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
But...that’s the amount of players we have regularly been signing each season for at least 4-5 seasons now.
If we’re not in europe at all then we have to trim down the squad massively we just wouldn’t need 28-30 players.
I do expect at least 5 new faces this summer, whether they are the quality we need or can obtain is a separate debate but purely on numbers I think we will see those sorts of numbers come in.

But in prior years Rich we didn’t have a £150m Bank of England loan to pay back at the end of May.

That is a good point and I don’t know enough to know where that £150m has been spent so far. Considering there wasn’t any way of increasing revenue before the end of may it would be strange to borrow £150m, spend it all and then not be able to pay it back!

Post #526682  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:45 am 

Someone mentioned the hope for Edu using his Brazilian connections to unearth some hidden gems. Gabriel Menino a 20 year old midfielder dubbed the new yaya toure has a £51m release clause but is being touted around at £13m because of his club’s financial problems. If we’re savvy I think there are good deals to be had in the market irrespective of our own need to trim and save money

Post #526683  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:23 am 

Rich wrote:
Someone mentioned the hope for Edu using his Brazilian connections to unearth some hidden gems. Gabriel Menino a 20 year old midfielder dubbed the new yaya toure has a £51m release clause but is being touted around at £13m because of his club’s financial problems. If we’re savvy I think there are good deals to be had in the market irrespective of our own need to trim and save money

Hi Rich,

That's exactly the kind of deal I thought Edu was brought in to facilitate. To give us the edge in spotting and signing young south american talent.

I think Brexit has made it harder to sign young european players so perhaps emerging south americans are our best way forward.

Post #526684  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:46 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

That's exactly the kind of deal I thought Edu was brought in to facilitate. To give us the edge in spotting and signing young south american talent.

I think Brexit has made it harder to sign young european players so perhaps emerging south americans are our best way forward.

Would they qualify for an entry visa

Post #526685  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:54 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

Hi Gaz,

I thought there was some kind of odd change as a result of Brexit where it was harder to sign young EU-based players but easier to sign young players from outside of the EU. I could be wrong.

Post #526686  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:58 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

I has also hoped that Arteta's City connections might have helped us pinch some of their younger players as well. City's youth have very slim to no pathway to first team football but hey are pretty much the best youth team in the country and do struggle to hold on to their best players. Again it is the sort of signing I'd like to see us go for quite aggressively, poaching very good english talent coming to the end of deals or with uncertainty over first team football, we can possibly offer that based on track record of giving our younger players a go and lets face it because our team is a lot weaker and so they'd more likely start with us

Post #526687  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:00 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
Ah. Forum spell check. Oh well.

A bit like “The batsman’s Holding, the bowler’s Willey” (which apparently was never actually said as part of the commentary on air despite urban myth).

This is what Wikipedia say about it, under their summary of Peter Willey’s (a Northamptonshire all rounder) career. I didn’t know it’s supposed to be an ‘urban myth’, although I wouldn’t even have been watching the television coverage, let alone listening to the radio commentary of the game. Having said that, Wikipedia claim Henry Blofeld says it did happen, so who knows?

“According to an urban myth, it was during a Test match between the West Indies and England, when Michael Holding was about to bowl to Willey, that the radio commentator Brian Johnston said: "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey". While Wisden stated that there is no record of Johnston or anyone else actually saying this, Johnston's co-commentator, Henry Blofeld, recalled the incident as having taken place at The Oval in 1976. The story is sometimes told the other way around, with Willey bowling to Holding: however, Willey did not bowl to Holding in that particular match.”

Post #526688  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:02 am 

I see transfer rumours linking us with Aguero and Fekir and these are completely the wrong transfers for us. In some ways I'd be quite happy for us to sign players none of us have ever heard of!

Post #526689  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:20 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

I has also hoped that Arteta's City connections might have helped us pinch some of their younger players as well. City's youth have very slim to no pathway to first team football but hey are pretty much the best youth team in the country and do struggle to hold on to their best players. Again it is the sort of signing I'd like to see us go for quite aggressively, poaching very good english talent coming to the end of deals or with uncertainty over first team football, we can possibly offer that based on track record of giving our younger players a go and lets face it because our team is a lot weaker and so they'd more likely start with us

Yes, definitely, that's an internal market we should look to exploit.

When Edu first arrived we were linked with several young south americans but nothing materialised so perhaps it was just paper talk or maybe visas/work permits are still an issue.

To be honest nobody yet knows if Edu's actually any good at his job.

Post #526690  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:25 am 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Not sure how these two sentences go together? If we need to trim the squad down surely that makes signing five new players more unlikely.

We have 25 players in the first team squad not counting the ones who are out on loan. Of those 25 I would say Ceballos is very unlikely to return next season, and Ødegaard is a possibility if we can make it work financially. Two new players and one or two of the loanees returning to the squad is what I'd expect, maybe a third signing if we can find a Willian type deal. Those huge overhauls rarely happen, and the financial situation in football has made them even more unlikely in my opinion.

What I mean by trimming the squad is not just getting rid of 6 or so players, I think we could see a lot more leave and a number come in.
I think as a start we’ll sign a back up gk and cover at left back. Everything else could be like for like and done for net zero. I suppose we’ll see in the summer.

Ideally we do need a massive clearout both to clear bodies and bring in revenue but in a post-Covid market our surplus players are unlikely to be the subject of large bids. Especially those on big salaries.

Covid has added a further complication to what was always going to be a difficult task.

As I said in a previous post, if Edu orchestrates a massive clear-out and brings in a huge amount of money in doing so he deserves a statue. :laughing7:

Post #526691  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:34 am 

I am now curious to know how Henry managed the sides he was at.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11327770/romelu-lukaku-thierry-henry-belgium-training/
SCARY HENRY Thierry Henry humiliated Belgium star so badly in training he stormed off pitch, according to Romelu Lukaku

Post #526692  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
But in prior years Rich we didn’t have a £150m Bank of England loan to pay back at the end of May.

That is a good point and I don’t know enough to know where that £150m has been spent so far. Considering there wasn’t any way of increasing revenue before the end of may it would be strange to borrow £150m, spend it all and then not be able to pay it back!

It will be laid back Rich, full stop. I’m sure organisations don’t take loans from the Bank of England and not pay them back. The question is whether having to pay back £150m in around eight weeks time is going to enable Arsenal to buy new players even if players are sold to an equivalent value (making it a net zero spend). There are rumours, hopefully off the mark, that the money received from players sold will not be spent on new players but will be put towards debt management.

I’ve no idea what will happen. But I don’t see it as impossible that the income from players sold won’t be put towards new signings making the transfer window a ‘net negative’ (is that an expression in financial circles?) window rather than a ‘net zero’ (a term I have heard) spend. As I’ve said, we are a Stan Kroenke club.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Post #526693  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:58 am 

socrates wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Hi Gaz,

I thought there was some kind of odd change as a result of Brexit where it was harder to sign young EU-based players but easier to sign young players from outside of the EU. I could be wrong.

I have no idea and recall the old days where you had to play a number of full internationals to qualify. Something other clubs seemed to circumvent but not Arsenal, was it that Campbell bloke who took forever to get a visa.

Post #526694  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:08 am 

There’s no way spurs and Arsenal would have took government loans if it meant they were unable to employ new staff or sign players. I’m not aware of the governments support for large business scheme saying companies couldn’t pay new staff. Probably rumours

If we do so it’s our choice not being forced down the route of it.

Just a hunch but I have a feeling we will see a summer like last year where we might carefully spend 70 to 100 odd million depending on what players we can sell but without sales we won’t see major incoming like last summer.

A friend in the business world told me he heard we are trying to sign a very expensive midfield player on the continent at the moment. Make of that what you will but it doesn’t tally with the suggestion we can’t sign players and Artetas comments clearly don’t indicate that either.

Btw Socrates is right because of Brexit you can no longer sign players under 18

Post #526695  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:22 am 

Rich wrote:

At least he's not labelled the new Vieira. That is a refreshing change.

I agree that there may be good deals available but the odds of actually unearthing a genuinely world class 20 y-o are very low.

Post #526696  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:32 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
What I mean by trimming the squad is not just getting rid of 6 or so players, I think we could see a lot more leave and a number come in.
I think as a start we’ll sign a back up gk and cover at left back. Everything else could be like for like and done for net zero. I suppose we’ll see in the summer.

Ideally we do need a massive clearout both to clear bodies and bring in revenue but in a post-Covid market our surplus players are unlikely to be the subject of large bids. Especially those on big salaries.

Covid has added a further complication to what was always going to be a difficult task.

As I said in a previous post, if Edu orchestrates a massive clear-out and brings in a huge amount of money in doing so he deserves a statue. :laughing7:

A massive clearout sounds great (the grass is always greener) but is risky ... we might end up in the relegation zone next season if that goes a bit wrong. We might have been in the relegation fight this season if we'd had our usual rotten luck with injuries.

To me, the main problems are 1) midfield 2) what to do with Aubameyang. 3) Arteta not seemingly knowing what to do about 1) and 2).

Hopefully we'll get past Praha and the wrist-slitting mood amongst the fans will diminish!

Post #526697  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:50 am 

Decaf wrote:
socrates wrote:

A massive clearout sounds great (the grass is always greener) but is risky ... we might end up in the relegation zone next season if that goes a bit wrong. We might have been in the relegation fight this season if we'd had our usual rotten luck with injuries.

To me, the main problems are 1) midfield 2) what to do with Aubameyang. 3) Arteta not seemingly knowing what to do about 1) and 2).

Hopefully we'll get past Praha and the wrist-slitting mood amongst the fans will diminish!

Thought this was telling and I agree with the mouthy Manc on this ..

Gary Neville: "I have to say, I look at those eyes of Mikel Arteta, I think there will be an element of ferocity in them because he’ll go home & say: ‘If I didn’t know already, I know now what I have to do in the transfer window at the end of the season’"

... he looked really pissed off in his interviews after the game. I guess he realises he hadn’t got the players to play his system. I wouldn’t like to be Edu because he’s going to get a list of things to fix.

No more *%^@*** loans edu!!

I need 3 new midfielders 2 for the first team one for the bench!

Can you sell some of these useless twats on loan for God’s sake that are clogging the wage bill!

Post #526698  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:20 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Gaz,

I have no idea and recall the old days where you had to play a number of full internationals to qualify. Something other clubs seemed to circumvent but not Arsenal, was it that Campbell bloke who took forever to get a visa.

That used to annoy me so much back then. It stopped us getting Čech and Yaya Toure, we had both wrapped up but couldn’t get work permits when other clubs seemed to be able to for lesser quality players with fewer things meeting the quota.....some brown paper bags I think!

Post #526699  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:24 am 

I think I read that Aubameyang’s xG (expected goals) is the same as last year from similar/same number of games. So effectively last year he was scoring at an unsustainable rate and this year he’s not scoring as many as he should. Stats backing up what we can see.
He has to play centre forward or not at all now.

Post #526700  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Gary Neville: "I have to say, I look at those eyes of Mikel Arteta, I think there will be an element of ferocity in them because he’ll go home & say: ‘If I didn’t know already, I know now what I have to do in the transfer window at the end of the season’"

... he looked really pissed off in his interviews after the game. I guess he realises he hadn’t got the players to play his system. I wouldn’t like to be Edu because he’s going to get a list of things to fix.

Can you sell some of these useless twats on loan for God’s sake that are clogging the wage bill!

I'd say farewell to Ceballos, Torriera and Guendouzi, but consider getting ANM and Willock back from loan. Plus Ødegaard + one more?

Post #526701  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:45 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'd say farewell to Ceballos, Torriera and Guendouzi, but consider getting ANM and Willock back from loan. Plus Ødegaard + one more?

My out list after saturday

Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos, Nketiah, Willock, zoolander, El nenny and because they both got out jumped by a midget Chambers and Holding right now. This may change after a couple of decent performances

Surely even in a depressed market we should be able to get 80 or 90 million for that lot.

Post #526702  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos, Nketiah, Willock, zoolander, El nenny and because they both got out jumped by a midget Chambers and Holding right now. This may change after a couple of decent performances

Surely even in a depressed market we should be able to get 80 or 90 million for that lot.

I hadn’t mentioned it but I was stunned by Holding’s inadequacy with that cross. Warwick Davis could’ve put more pressure on the Liverpool player.

I think the players the club are most likely to be willing to release are, in alphabetical order: Bellerin, Ceballos, Chambers, Elneny, Guendouzi, Holding, Kolasinac, Lacazette, Luiz, Maitland-Niles, Mavropanos, Nelson, Nketiah, Runarsson, Ryan, Torreira, Willock.

I’m not including Willian because on his wages I doubt the club would be able to get rid. But I suspect the club would be willing to lose him. Obviously we won’t get a penny for Ceballos or Ryan who are on loan, nor Luiz whose contract finishes. If any of the other fourteen of Arsenal’s own players are available, we won’t lose them all because that would be too many to replace. But for the right price I reckon Arsenal would be willing to listen to offers.

Post #526703  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I hadn’t mentioned it but I was stunned by Holding’s inadequacy with that cross. Warwick Davies could’ve put more pressure on the Liverpool player.

I was a perfect cross from Trent but I agree it is always disappointing when your CB (and RB who has played CB many times) lets a 5ft something player in for a header. The same thing happened for Sterling's goal from exactly the same position.
Holding has improved this season and should be retained, not least because of his home grown status but he's a 4th choice CB for me still

Post #526704  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I think the players the club are most likely to be willing to release are, in alphabetical order: Bellerin, Ceballos, Chambers, Elneny, Guendouzi, Holding, Kolasinac, Lacazette, Luiz, Maitland-Niles, Mavropanos, Nelson, Nketiah, Runarsson, Ryan, Torreira, Willock.

I’m not including Willian because on his wages I doubt the club would be able to get rid. But I suspect the club would be willing to lose him. Obviously we won’t get a penny for Ceballos or Ryan who are on loan, nor Luiz whose contract finishes. If any of the other fourteen of Arsenal’s own players are available, we won’t lose them all because that would be too many to replace. But for the right price I reckon Arsenal would be willing to listen to offers.

I think your list above is pretty spot on, including those who we won't get rid of and the unlikelihood of getting rid of all of them!

Post #526705  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:

On the basis that surely all of these can't leave I think we potentially could see:
Elneny get a new short term deal to be a body in midfield
Luiz get another year deal to be a body in central defence
Ryan come back on loan if we can't get a sub GK in
Willock come back in to the squad or go on another loan
Mavropanos have another season on loan
Nelson have a season on loan
Bellerin kept if we can't find a buyer or a replacement
Maitland-Niles come back in to the squad if we can't get the fee we're after

Lacazette, Nketiah, Torreira, Guendouzi and Chambers are the most important ones to shift

Post #526706  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:08 pm 

Rich wrote:

Chelsea seems to be after him and if being Yaya means a defensive center mid, it doesn't appear to be his game. He does have skills though.

Post #526707  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:41 pm 

From the same fixtures as last season we've gained the exact same amount of points (substituting in/out the promoted and relegated teams). From our equivalent remaining 8 fixtures we got 14 points last season. Given those fixtures that is a target we should be beating. Getting top 7 for likely European Football looks pretty difficult though

Post #526708  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:21 pm 

I think there are smart ways we can manage our unbalanced squad this summer. We currently have 3 right-backs, none of them good enough to be first choice. The most useful to the squad is probably the one with the lowest value and the hardest to move on, Cédric. So can we engineer a way to sell Bellerin and Chambers and replace them with 1 first choice right back. Get the right guy and the squad is better and we’ve trimmed it down and offloaded some more wages.
You could argue something similar with our strikers, Lacazette and Nketiah could/should both be sold and could be replaced by a single striker signing leaving Aubameyang, Martinelli and a new signing. 2 out and 1 in for net zero spend in transfer money but plenty of wages saved.

I realise it isn’t this easy but this should be the strategy

Post #526709  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
I think there are smart ways we can manage our unbalanced squad this summer. We currently have 3 right-backs, none of them good enough to be first choice. The most useful to the squad is probably the one with the lowest value and the hardest to move on, Cédric. So can we engineer a way to sell Bellerin and Chambers and replace them with 1 first choice right back. Get the right guy and the squad is better and we’ve trimmed it down and offloaded some more wages.
You could argue something similar with our strikers, Lacazette and Nketiah could/should both be sold and could be replaced by a single striker signing leaving Aubameyang, Martinelli and a new signing. 2 out and 1 in for net zero spend in transfer money but plenty of wages saved.

I realise it isn’t this easy but this should be the strategy

And midfield, Hertha making noises that despite thinking Guendouzi is a bit of a *%^@ they might sign him anyway, lets say you get 20 million, torriera is begging to go to Boca say 10 million (I don't think we would get more than that he says they are skint ) , AMN say 20 Willock 10 from newcastle.

You might be able to generate enough funds for a 50 million type midfielder.

Post #526710  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:46 pm 

Whatever the transfer ins and outs I'd like to see Arteta get a lot more out of a talented squad of players than 10th place. I see our current squad as at least the equal of Leicester and look at how well they're doing.

Post #526711  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:02 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Whatever the transfer ins and outs I'd like to see Arteta get a lot more out of a talented squad of players than 10th place. I see our current squad as at least the equal of Leicester and look at how well they're doing.

It’s not a straightforward comparison. They are everything we haven’t been over the last few years. At their core They have a collective group of players who have played together for some time and their fans back the manager and get behind the club.

Oh and they have 5 or 6 outfield players that walk into our side effortlessly

Post #526712  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

It’s not a straightforward comparison. They are everything we haven’t been over the last few years. At their core They have a collective group of players who have played together for some time and their fans back the manager and get behind the club.

I see, it's the fans fault that our team turns in a performance like the pathetic showing on Saturday. Give me strength. Who are these 6 players you speak of by the way?

Post #526713  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:33 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I see, it's the fans fault that our team turns in a performance like the pathetic showing on Saturday. Give me strength. Who are these 6 players you speak of by the way?

Ok ..

Let’s say Schmeichel and Leno wipe each other out and Aubameyang and vardy likewise as they are high performers for their respective clubs ..

Soooo out of the remaining 9 spaces Ndidi, tielemans, Maddison, soyuncu, Barnes, Perez ..

Post #526714  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
I see transfer rumours linking us with Aguero and Fekir and these are completely the wrong transfers for us. In some ways I'd be quite happy for us to sign players none of us have ever heard of!

Saw that as well. Fascinating. Would be like reporting we're getting Messi, Neymar and Dybala in one fell swoop.
:14laughter:

Ooops.... :26surprise:

Post #526715  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Ok ..

Let’s say Schmeichel and Leno wipe each other out and Aubameyang and vardy likewise as they are high performers for their respective clubs ..

Soooo out of the remaining 9 spaces Ndidi, tielemans, Maddison, soyuncu, Barnes, Perez ..

Is Ndidi a better player than Partey? Ditto Barnes/Pépé or Saka, Maddison/Ødegaard, Perez/Smith-Rowe, I'd give you Soyuncu alongside Gabriel and Tielemans alongside Partey probably. But can't you see the squads are at the very least comparable. Rogers is getting a much better tune out of his lot than Arteta is out of ours. They are currently 14 points clear of us which as far as I'm concerned isn't remotely good enough. But keep making the excuses.

Post #526716  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:00 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Ok ..

Is Ndidi a better player than Partey? Ditto Barnes/Pépé or Saka, Maddison/Ødegaard, Perez/Smith-Rowe, I'd give you Soyuncu alongside Gabriel and Tielemans alongside Partey probably. But can't you see the squads are at the very least comparable. Rogers is getting a much better tune out of his lot than Arteta is out of ours. They are currently 14 points clear of us which as far as I'm concerned isn't remotely good enough. But keep making the excuses.

It’s not excuses we were poor at the start of the season buts it only a slight anomaly were probably about 7 or 6th in terms of squad strength. Their not miles ahead of us but they have more strength you must see that.

Ndidi was getting linked with Barcelona not long ago I’d say hes better. Barnes has 9 premier league goals this season! Maddison 8 they walk into our side.

Post #526717  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

It’s not excuses we were poor at the start of the season buts it only a slight anomaly were probably about 7 or 6th in terms of squad strength. Their not miles ahead of us but they have more strength you must see that.

Ndidi was getting linked with Barcelona not long ago I’d say hes better. Barnes has 9 premier league goals this season! Maddison 8 they walk into our side.

They do not have more strength than us. The squads are very comparable on paper, personally I'd say we have more strength. As for Ndidi being 'linked with Barcelona' so was Mustafi. You are quite entitled to consider him better than Partey, but it's certainly debatable. When you list the forward players we have available, to say Barnes walks into our side is in itself a damning indictment of how we are not getting the best out of the talent available. Maddison is a good player, but so are Ødegaard and Smith-Rowe who play in similar positions. So if he walks into our side the same applies as I pointed out for Barnes.
Arteta has done a good job rooting out some of the overpaid dross, and some performances have been very encouraging. I don't want him sacked, but you can't help but wonder where we'd be if we'd appointed Ancelotti or indeed Rogers to succeed Emery. If we don't win the Europa, and I'd say that looks very unlikely, it's been a very poor season.
I am very concerned about Slavia Prague who look a good side. If we get a Liverpool-like performance they'll turn us over on Thursday.

Post #526718  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

They do not have more strength than us. The squads are very comparable on paper, personally I'd say we have more strength. As for Ndidi being 'linked with Barcelona' so was Mustafi. You are quite entitled to consider him better than Partey, but it's certainly debatable. When you list the forward players we have available, to say Barnes walks into our side is in itself a damning indictment of how we are not getting the best out of the talent available. Maddison is a good player, but so are Ødegaard and Smith-Rowe who play in similar positions. So if he walks into our side the same applies as I pointed out for Barnes.
Arteta has done a good job rooting out some of the overpaid dross, and some performances have been very encouraging. I don't want him sacked, but you can't help but wonder where we'd be if we'd appointed Ancelotti or indeed Rogers to succeed Emery. If we don't win the Europa, and I'd say that looks very unlikely, it's been a very poor season.
I am very concerned about Slavia Prague who look a good side. If we get a Liverpool-like performance they'll turn us over on Thursday.

Ødegaard isn’t even our player he’s on loan and you’d pick Emile Smith Rowe instead of Maddison an England international? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Getting away from the boring comparison ... You wonder where we would be if we got Ancelloti ? I don’t understand this at all. He’s spent a fortune we don’t have and he’s 8th currently.

Brendon Rogers finished 9th in his first season then 5th second for Leicester. You would have sacked him too for not getting more out of the players as you keep saying.

Post #526719  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Ødegaard isn’t even our player he’s on loan and you’d pick Emile Smith Rowe instead of Maddison an England international? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Getting away from the boring comparison ... You wonder where we would be if we got Ancelloti ? I don’t understand this at all. He’s spent a fortune we don’t have and he’s 8th currently.

Brendon Rogers finished 9th in his first season then 5th second for Leicester. You would have sacked him too for not getting more out of the players as you keep saying.

Your usual nonsense TG. 'You would have sacked him too' replying to my statement of 'I don't want him sacked'. Brilliant. If you're happy with 12 (I think, it's hard to keep up) league defeats with our squad of players then we'll have to agree to disagree.
As for Maddison being an England international, so is Maitland-Niles, and I'd pick Emile Smith Rowe ahead of him. I certainly don't think Maddison would 'walk into our side'. Arteta would be rotating him.
If you're happy with 10th place with this group of players then you set the bar far too low in my humble opinion.

Post #526720  Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:11 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Your usual nonsense TG. 'You would have sacked him too' replying to my statement of 'I don't want him sacked'. Brilliant. If you're happy with 12 (I think, it's hard to keep up) league defeats with our squad of players then we'll have to agree to disagree.
As for Maddison being an England international, so is Maitland-Niles, and I'd pick Emile Smith Rowe ahead of him. I certainly don't think Maddison would 'walk into our side'. Arteta would be rotating him.
If you're happy with 10th place with this group of players then you set the bar far too low in my humble opinion.

I’m not happy at all. I don’t think it’s been a good league season but the club made a mistake going into the season so weak in midfield and couldn’t restructure because of covid, we had a horrible first half and some shocking individual performances but we are improving.

Btw no comment on you’re saviours ancelloti and Rogers. Interesting heroes to pine after especially as ancelloti isn’t doing much better and Rogers signed a new contract the moment he started getting linked with us before.

[ 572009 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13165, 13166, 13167, 13168, 13169, 13170, 13171 ... 14301  Next