Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 298 guests

Post #509721  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:16 pm 

So much for Everton doing us a favour......

Post #509722  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:17 pm 

Ffs
2 goals in 2 minutes

Post #509723  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:19 pm 

Everton actually started ok.
Game over.
Really want us to shrug these *%^@ers off our coat tails.
Game at their place is massive.

Post #509724  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:26 pm 

So much for hoping Everton can do us a favour tonight. A calamitous own goal and a Pickford howler has Spurs 2-0 up early on.

Post #509725  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:31 pm 

It is Man U v Spurs on saturday, logic would say a draw is the best result but if not then I think I'd prefer a Man U victory. I think Spurs will likely be our main challengers for 4th place come the end of the season.

It seems every week there is some sort of pivotal game. If Man U and Spurs draw and we can beat Leicester on the same weekend then the Liverpool home game in midweek has a sense of a free hit game

Post #509726  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:40 pm 

Useless scousers that’s just pathetic

Post #509727  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:43 pm 

I'm not sure our goal difference over spurs is worth the 'extra point' yet. Currently we are +6 goal difference on them with their second half v Everton to go. For goal difference to even come in to play Spurs need to beat us and then we lose another game. A couple of 2-0 defeats in those two games and the goal difference would be level.

Post #509728  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:16 pm 

Spurs 5 now...that Goal Difference is disappearing pretty quickly.

Post #509729  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:17 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Xhaka had a shocker ! Reckless passing and not bothering to track back. :laughing7: Honestly what are you on.

No more than a 5

You’re the very last person I’d look to for a fair assessment of Xhaka, so it’s almost comforting to see this.

Post #509730  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:20 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Spurs 5 now...that Goal Difference is disappearing pretty quickly.

With around half an hour left, Tottenham could even have a better goal difference by the end of the game.

Post #509731  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Xhaka had a shocker ! Reckless passing and not bothering to track back. :laughing7: Honestly what are you on.

No more than a 5

You’re the very last person I’d look to for a fair assessment of Xhaka, so it’s almost comforting to see this.

You’re hardly rational about him yourself. You don’t have to look far to find people who thought he was pony yesterday

Post #509732  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:29 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

You’re hardly rational about him yourself. You don’t have to look far to find people who thought he was pony yesterday

He divides opinion. Plenty of people think he played well. I don’t actually like or dislike him. I try to make my views dependent on how he actually played. I strongly suspect you allow your opinions to be driven by personal dislike. You presumably enjoy moaning about him.

Post #509733  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He divides opinion. Plenty of people think he played well. I don’t actually like or dislike him. I try to make my views dependent on how he actually played. I strongly suspect you allow your opinions to be driven by personal dislike. You presumably enjoy moaning about him.

Nope. When he doesn’t put a foot wrong I give him credit.

It’s a rare occasion. He doesn’t bring much quality

Post #509734  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Do you give him credit when “he doesn’t put a foot wrong”? I must have missed it. Perhaps you should think about what expectations are reasonable? If not putting a foot wrong are yours, how often has any player achieved that? Perhaps the likes of Beckenbauer, Maradona and Zidane occasionally did? Perhaps?

But it doesn’t seem a reasonable expectation for nearly all players. Ødegaard and Saka had blinders yesterday. Neither had a perfect game.

Post #509735  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:30 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Do you give him credit when “he doesn’t put a foot wrong”? I must have missed it. Perhaps you should think about what expectations are reasonable? If not putting a foot wrong are yours, how often has any player achieved that? Perhaps the likes of Beckenbauer, Maradona and Zidane occasionally did? Perhaps?

But it doesn’t seem a reasonable expectation for nearly all players. Ødegaard and Saka had blinders yesterday. Neither had a perfect game.

Many players have games where they don’t make mistakes xhaka less so. I’m sure I gave him credit after the spurs game this year. Anyways enough about the guy you always want to talk about him.

Post #509736  Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Many players have games where they don’t make mistakes xhaka less so. I’m sure I gave him credit after the spurs game this year. Anyways enough about the guy you always want to talk about him.

I think it’s so rare for players to not make mistakes it barely ever happens. As I said, Saka and Ødegaard both had blinders yesterday. I didn’t think either was perfect. I was tempted to mention Xhaka’s Tottenham game. I don’t remember you praising him. What I think happened is you didn’t mention him. For me that isn’t praise. It’s simply realising to moan would look idiotic.

The primary reason I discuss him so much is reacting to your unfair and over the top criticisms. I don’t think he’s that interesting as a player or person really. Apparently Xhaka spoke very well at some AST do recently but I couldn’t comment on it, like I did with the AST Mertesacker talk, because I didn’t bother watching it. Surely that shows I don’t always want to talk about him.

Post #509737  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:52 am 

When we rate players for individual performances in games defensive players are always treated or viewed more harshly than forward players I think.
Take the Man City game, we probably look at the silly penalty conceded by Xhaka and the silly second booking by Gabriel and can rightly point to both contributing massively to us losing that game, but what about the open goal miss by Martinelli at 1-1, that’s just as important but we focus more on defensive mistakes.

I can’t think of an Arsenal example but say you win a game 3-1, you’re 3 forwards score one each but miss countless other chances and in the last minute a defender lunges in and gives away a penalty having had an otherwise faultless game. People will likely put more of a black mark against the defender than the strikers.

Post #509738  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:57 am 

Kane overtook Henry in the all time prem scoring lousy last night as he moved to 176 prem goals (Henry got his at a better goals/games ratio), Shearer is on 260 prem goals so Kane needs another 85 to go ahead. In the last 4 seasons before this Kane is averaging 20 goals a season, it may be unlikely for him to keep that rate up in to his 30’s so I would say Kane needs the rest of this season and a further 5 seasons at 17+ goals to overtake Shearer. At the start of that 5th season Kane will be 33. I think it is a record that massively motivated Kane, the guy went on rb to swear on his daughters life that he touched the ball so he could take a goal off his team mate, I think he will do it but it will depend on injuries.

Post #509739  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:10 am 

Everton we’re woeful last night but they played directly in to Spurs strength. Everton tried to press high (and didn’t do it well) and played a high defensive line with a set of defenders who have very little pace or athleticism. Absolute tactical suicide. Arteta needs to be very careful how we set up against them. Thankfully we have much quicker and better 1v1 defenders.
Spurs have Man U away next and I think the arrogance of Man U at home will lead them to try to attack and adopt a unstructured high press and Spurs will hit on the counter at tear slow Maguire apart. If I was Man U I’d play deeper, keep the full backs compact and have Fred and McTominey sitting in front, then use the individual skill and pace of Bruno, Sancho, elanga, rashford on their own counter attack

Post #509740  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:00 am 

I'm sure Southgate will stick with Pickford as in truth he hasn't ever really let England down but for me Ramsdale is the better GK despite not being up to the standards he set earlier in the season. Saka should be an absolute shoe in for one of the attacking positions in the England team despite the wealth of talent England has in those positions. I also think there should be a serious discussion about Ben White not just being in the squad but in the starting 11 - particularly if Southgate goes with his bnack 3 formation. What English CB is playing better than Ben White right now? Stones? Maguire? Coady? Mings? not sure which others have been in recent squads.

Post #509741  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:32 am 

Spurs two best players are clearly Son and Kane. I think their next two best are Kulusevski and Romero, both are technically on loan, Spurs paid £10m for the Kulusevski loan - and will have to pay a combined £75m to sign both permanently. I always think that is an interesting part to loan deals, because when you make them permanent you're spending a lot of money to not actually improve your squad - you just maintain it. Conte will pressure Levy for a big transfer outlay in the summer - if he even stays that long - I just can't see it happening for them.

Post #509742  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:34 am 

Rich wrote:
I'm sure Southgate will stick with Pickford as in truth he hasn't ever really let England down but for me Ramsdale is the better GK despite not being up to the standards he set earlier in the season. .

See this is the stuff that makes me laugh. Someone says something, it’s gets repeated and repeated and accepted as standard. How has Ramsdale gone off the boil ? A misplaced goal kick on Sunday. The 2nd goal? What white losing it on the edge of his 6 yard box. How’s that his fault.

We’ve taken 25 points from our last 30. He can’t be doing that badly.

Post #509743  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:01 am 

Rich wrote:
Kane overtook Henry in the all time prem scoring lousy last night as he moved to 176 prem goals (Henry got his at a better goals/games ratio), Shearer is on 260 prem goals so Kane needs another 85 to go ahead. In the last 4 seasons before this Kane is averaging 20 goals a season, it may be unlikely for him to keep that rate up in to his 30’s so I would say Kane needs the rest of this season and a further 5 seasons at 17+ goals to overtake Shearer. At the start of that 5th season Kane will be 33. I think it is a record that massively motivated Kane, the guy went on rb to swear on his daughters life that he touched the ball so he could take a goal off his team mate, I think he will do it but it will depend on injuries.

If Kane does eventually overtake Shearer in the Premier League scoring chart, I won’t actually begrudge his record even if he does it at Tottenham. Indeed, if it is at Tottenham I’ll give him even more credit for it.

To date every Premier League goal Kane has scored was for Tottenham. He played a few games for Norwich on loan in the Premier League but didn’t score for them. He got a few goals for Orient, Millwall and Leicester while on loan to them, but none were in the Premier League.

Shearer scored for both Southampton and Blackburn as well as Newcastle in the Premier League. If Kane stays at Tottenham and breaks Shearer’s record with them, as I say I’ll give him credit for that. Even though it’s Tottenham. A magnificent player in my view.

EDIT: To be technically correct, when Shearer played for Southampton it was before the top tier of English club football was known as the Premier League. It was Division One in Shearer’s Southampton days.

Post #509744  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:38 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
I'm sure Southgate will stick with Pickford as in truth he hasn't ever really let England down but for me Ramsdale is the better GK despite not being up to the standards he set earlier in the season. .

See this is the stuff that makes me laugh. Someone says something, it’s gets repeated and repeated and accepted as standard. How has Ramsdale gone off the boil ? A misplaced goal kick on Sunday. The 2nd goal? What white losing it on the edge of his 6 yard box. How’s that his fault.

Ramsdale is still doing very well for us but in my opinion, and others on the forum, he’s not quite hitting the heights of earlier in the season.
And yes I do think he was partly at fault for the second goal, not the primary fault because the ball should never have got there but it should have been harder for sissoko to score than he made it for him. I’m talking about Ramsdale performing at 8/10 now compared to 9/10 earlier in the season, I’m clearly not saying he’s a poor player. But equally we can’t just judge every player as playing fantastic just because we’re winning games. Individual performances can be analysed within the team winning.

Post #509745  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ramsdale is still doing very well for us but in my opinion, and others on the forum, he’s not quite hitting the heights of earlier in the season.
And yes I do think he was partly at fault for the second goal, not the primary fault because the ball should never have got there but it should have been harder for sissoko to score than he made it for him. I’m talking about Ramsdale performing at 8/10 now compared to 9/10 earlier in the season, I’m clearly not saying he’s a poor player. But equally we can’t just judge every player as playing fantastic just because we’re winning games. Individual performances can be analysed within the team winning.

Blaming him for either goal Sunday is incredibly incredibly harsh. Micro analysis at its finest

We haven’t had a David De Gea moment from him yet at all. It might be a thing about the way people view goalkeepers these days that I don’t understand because when Linekers shot brushed through seaman’s hands in that semi it was an obvious mistake but forgivable yet these days Leno seemed unjustly criticised frequently and now Ramsdale

Post #509746  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Blaming him for either goal Sunday is incredibly incredibly harsh. Micro analysis at its finest...
You are spot on about micro analysis. It is a product of multiple TV replays from various angles. It inevitably finds a guilty party to explain away any incident or goal. I prefer the old saying that the ball is round and can run anywhere, meaning the game will always hold surprises. Arguably the frailty shown by individual players is as important for entertainment as their strengths.

Post #509747  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:36 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Blaming him for either goal Sunday is incredibly incredibly harsh. Micro analysis at its finest...
You are spot on about micro analysis. It is a product of multiple TV replays from various angles. It inevitably finds a guilty party to explain away any incident or goal. I prefer the old saying that the ball is round and can run anywhere, meaning the game will always hold surprises. Arguably the frailty shown by individual players is as important for entertainment as their strengths.

Absolutely

Every once in a while you just need to shrug your shoulders and say that didn’t run for us. You could lambast Ben white for letting sissoko in but he’s been a very good player for us this season and seemed to make an honest mistake of getting his legs in a mix so he kind of tumbled forward ahead of the ball.

2 players who have served us very well this season.

I don’t think Ramsdale or any keeper would survive making a mistake like David Seaman did in the semi v spurs that time or in Paris v Zaragoza. Benefit of the doubt doesn’t exist anymore

Post #509748  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Absolutely

Every once in a while you just need to shrug your shoulders and say that didn’t run for us. You could lambast Ben white for letting sissoko in but he’s been a very good player for us this season and seemed to make an honest mistake of getting his legs in a mix so he kind of tumbled forward ahead of the ball.

I don’t think Ramsdale or any keeper would survive making a mistake like David Seaman did in the semi v spurs that time or in Paris v Zaragoza. Benefit of the doubt doesn’t exist anymore

It seems like you’ve taken my comment that I don’t think Ramsdale is quite hitting the heights of performance he did earlier in the season and put words in my mouth and created your own argument from it.
If you like to look at goals we concede and just go ‘it’s one of those things’ then fair enough, I prefer to look at areas we can improve and will look at the goals we concede with a critical eye. Of course my opinion counts for nothing. I’m also pretty sure you wouldn’t give someone like Xhaka the benefit of the doubt for a perceived mistake he may make leading to a goal and potentially ignore the strong aspects of his play and importance to the current team that he still brings.

Post #509749  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:06 pm 

This is the opinion of Stan Collymore who is paid for his opinions on football. He says if Arsenal finish top 4 and Palace finish 10th, Arsenal should sack Arteta and hire Vieira!

Attachments:

Post #509750  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:39 pm 

Piffle from Collymore. Right down there with the sort of inane nonsense that Merson comes out with. It’s quite remarkable that they get paid for what they do.

Post #509751  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Absolutely

It seems like you’ve taken my comment that I don’t think Ramsdale is quite hitting the heights of performance he did earlier in the season and put words in my mouth and created your own argument from it.
If you like to look at goals we concede and just go ‘it’s one of those things’ then fair enough, I prefer to look at areas we can improve and will look at the goals we concede with a critical eye. Of course my opinion counts for nothing. I’m also pretty sure you wouldn’t give someone like Xhaka the benefit of the doubt for a perceived mistake he may make leading to a goal and potentially ignore the strong aspects of his play and importance to the current team that he still brings.

No I understand what you are saying and my comments don’t entirely relate to the observations you made but I disagree there’s been a drop off fundamentally and I also disagree that he was at fault for the goal like you are suggesting. On xhaka no comment apart from his brain farts are frustratingly obvious to all men, women and animals

Post #509752  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:50 pm 

There was a time not so long ago when you looked through our squad and struggled to see much sell on value. We don’t want to sell our best players but we have to be realistic that top class players want to win things, hopefully that’s with us, but if not then we must have that value in the players.
Taking everything in to account I don’t think it is hyperbole to say that Saka is a £100m player right now.

Post #509753  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
This is the opinion of Stan Collymore who is paid for his opinions on football. He says if Arsenal finish top 4 and Palace finish 10th, Arsenal should sack Arteta and hire Vieira!

He's paid to 'entertain', not for his football wisdom. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #509754  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:03 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Piffle from Collymore. Right down there with the sort of inane nonsense that Merson comes out with. It’s quite remarkable that they get paid for what they do.

Sort of footballing versions of Tucker Carlson or Alex Jones. Only a windup merchant could talk such drivel.

Post #509755  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:02 pm 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Sort of footballing versions of Tucker Carlson or Alex Jones. Only a windup merchant could talk such drivel.

Or a Gleiber forumite. :1laughter:

Post #509756  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:12 pm 

So the red kit shorts on Sunday against Watford, was a commercial marketing ploy by Addidas in partnership with the club, to test the waters to see if the all red kit would be a success.

Post #509757  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:38 pm 

Another champions league hat trick for that past it has been Lewandowki

*%^@ off Lewandowki stay away from our club :14laughter:

Post #509758  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:39 pm 

Zed wrote:
So the red kit shorts on Sunday against Watford, was a commercial marketing ploy by Addidas in partnership with the club, to test the waters to see if the all red kit would be a success.

Really ?

Well it looked terrible and it didn’t look like an Arsenal kit. More like Bayern or someone. Just awful

Post #509759  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:33 pm 

Obviously people have short memories: let’s buy an ageing striker for silly money who does score and pay him absolutely silly wages. A player who in this case has won a number of medals already and is starting to think about a big payday in pre- retirement land. And when his form drops we can pay him to go away. Where have I heard that before.

Post #509760  Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:40 pm 

[quote="TOP GUN"]
Really ?
Well it looked terrible and it didn’t look like an Arsenal kit. More like Bayern or someone. Just awful[/quote]

That's what the kit first looked like was a Bayern kit.

[ 537937 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12741, 12742, 12743, 12744, 12745, 12746, 12747 ... 13449  Next