Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], john1, mcquilkie and 258 guests

Post #509641  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:48 am 

....just a thought but lots of people are pointing at Robert Holding and saying he aint good enough, but good enough for what? Weve got top four with him, he's obvioulsy very popular, and he is effectively our 5th choice centre back. I'm not saying we should keep him but i think people forget that there is going to be a big drop off to any 5th choice back up and while clearly limited he's done okay. I did hear a theory that his inabilty to progress the ball means the overall positioning of the team is further back than normal, which has had a knock on effect to how we've (mis)managed these last 5 or so games.

Post #509642  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:53 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I think Pep did get the better of Arteta and Arteta could have changed it earlier or really should have set up differently. ..

I agree we should have tried something different but this idea that one manager got out thought or whatever is total nonsense and if I’m honest I doubt would have made much difference in all honesty

Pep has a whole armoury of options at his disposal because of his personnel. Do you reckon this helps his tactics ? Arteta doesnt. Arteta can’t say to Jesus we will play longer this time and knock 60 yard balls at him like pep did for his game with Haaland. That simply won’t work.

He can’t say ok I’ll drop Mahrez to the bench to bring in gundogan to do a midfield job on x. Arteta can’t do that it means changing our whole system because personnel he has.

He can’t say “bloody hell im worried about holding so I’ll take Laporte off my bench and use him instead”

Literally a bench of players who starred for their teams at the World Cup. Options everywhere

At the end of the day give us that *%^@*** Viking and see what happens and who gets “out thought” then :42laughter: Just a complete fallacy

Post #509643  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:58 am 

Bored wrote:
....just a thought but lots of people are pointing at Robert Holding and saying he aint good enough, but good enough for what? Weve got top four with him, he's obvioulsy very popular, and he is effectively our 5th choice centre back. I'm not saying we should keep him but i think people forget that there is going to be a big drop off to any 5th choice back up and while clearly limited he's done okay. I did hear a theory that his inabilty to progress the ball means the overall positioning of the team is further back than normal, which has had a knock on effect to how we've (mis)managed these last 5 or so games.

I think adding him to the side has had a massive effect on the way Gabriel and Partey have played. It’s no coincidence their form seems to have tailed off since we lost Saliba

Post #509644  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:03 am 

Bored wrote:
I cant be arsed trying to work out what quotes/brackets/ etc to delete from TOPGUN/GAZ thread so I'll just soldier on like some elderly supply teacher feeling bamboozled by the overhead projector...

The City games should probably be viewed in isolation from our overall league campaign because they are clearly better and more adaptable than us.

Yes it’s literally this.

Bar 1 team we are the best in the league this season. You are advocating a system change for that 1 off game viewed in isolation.

They have more options and more strength and frankly everyone in Europe is struggling to deal with them. Absolutely nailed on to do a sickening treble.

Post #509645  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:27 am 

Confirmed qualification for the CL is worth on average £88m per season in TV money alone to English clubs. Then there is extra money from more matchdays, better sponsorship deals etc.

The extra money is effectively 1 marquee signing that we wouldn't get otherwise

Post #509646  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:44 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bored wrote:

I think adding him to the side has had a massive effect on the way Gabriel and Partey have played. It’s no coincidence their form seems to have tailed off since we lost Saliba

So should a top class right sided CB be a top priority in the summer. Because as much as we're saying Holding is 5th choice after Saliba, Gabriel, White, Kiwior - Arteta isn't playing Gabriel and Kiwior together and has the chance to, and White is our first choice RB.
If Tomiyasu was fit then White slots in but it leaves us stretched in other areas. If only 2 injuries brings Holding in to the team and we deem that as good a chap as he is that he's not good enough then that has to be a priority upgrade area.

Post #509647  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:19 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Arseblog write up on tactics in the City game is excellent. Read it and then ask why Arteta made no change to our style of play after the first half was a disaster.

All this talk of a new forward is redundant. We had good forwards who received absolutely no support. The midfield failed to exist so why do people think a new forward will make a difference. And even when you buy a good forward you need a manager to get him to fit in to a system. Pep did it with Haaland but Klopp has failed with Nunez.

But don’t let me interrupt the opinions of real supporters who propose we sell 2 of our current 3 forwards. Genius and madness have a thin dividing line.

What we need is to be able to adapt to the game and change our game play if needed. Not play the same 11 players ever game with only one system of play. But there are those who believe Arteta is the messiah and can do no wrong. Stick your head back in the sand.

1. He probably felt that going defensive just after going two goals down was not a good move. Basically when we were 2-0 down it was hail Mary time.
2. A strong argument can be made that he should have started with a different lineup. I think he should have. BUT we been succesful this year by being brave and where we have change the lineup the result has not been particularly encouraging. Basically, he had a really tough decision to make and had he started with Jorginho and Tierney and it had gone pear shaped, people would be criticising him. Similarly, Zinchenko and Jesus. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
3. Midfield certainly is an area that we should look to strenthen, but that wasn't the problem on Wednesdsay. Defense, midfield and frontline are not separate units. If one cog is malfunctioning, the rest tends to go wonky too. I personally don't blame Holding exclusively either, although we clearly function better with Saliba. Our last couple of games meant that quite of a few of our players were lacking confidence. Saka made a few mistakes and was tentative, Jesus was trying too hard and all over the place again. Even Ramsdale, who made great saves, looked a bit shaky with his distribution--hardly surprising after his horror show last weekend.

Post #509648  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:20 pm 

Leaked images of next season's rumoured 3rd kit

Attachments:

Post #509649  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
Leaked images of next season's rumoured 3rd kit
Not a fan initially, but don't hate it or dislike it enough to care. If they wear a shirt with red hearts but win, I wouldn't care. Just win.

Post #509650  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:57 pm 

Bored wrote:
I cant be arsed trying to work out what quotes/brackets/ etc to delete from TOPGUN/GAZ thread so I'll just soldier on like some elderly supply teacher feeling bamboozled by the overhead projector...

The City games should probably be viewed in isolation from our overall league campaign because they are clearly better and more adaptable than us.

Haaland is a bit of a silver bullet so its easy to point at him and say we could do with one of those. But I think having a striker with more of a physcial presence who is a real danger from crosses should be worth thinking about for this team. During the later part of the season as opponents started to double/triple up on Saka/Martinelli the option seemed to be switch play from side to side and wait for an eye of a needle gap to appear, which to be fair we often found due to our patience. However, being able to use the spaces on the sides to whip a ball into the box would surely be a great option to have. Vlahovic or Toney (if his ban isnt ridiculous) make sense to me. As city showed, having a skillful lump up front is also one way to beat a press.
A midfield upgrade I believe is a no brainer, particulary when we've seen Partey struggle with injuries his whole Arsenal career and very recently, he's seemed a bit off the pace physically. He's had a great season but its such an important position for the way Mikel plays, it feels like too big a gamble not having a like for like backup. Watching Caciedo and Rice recently, I think that either would be great for us. Rice seems like a leader/personality which for a developing young team coud be really helpful. Lets hope the Kroenkes continue backing Mikel and Edu because we have an amazing opportunity to get back into the big time once again......

Between Caciedo and Rice, I much prefer Rice. He's been heavily linked to us, seems a foregone conclusion from the press at least, that he'll join us and has been professional in his conduct. Caceido on the other hand has publicly embarrassed himself and the club with wanting a move.

I like Rice's style as well. The intangibles like leadership are there and if you can get both buy both. We are desperate for on pitch leadership. I also like that he'll be national teammates with our English players.

So, that's my vote. I would like different ways of scoring from different types so a physical target man would be ideal as an option. I loved how Giroud could find his way to any ball you put in the 6 yard box, head or foot or as we saw with the scorpion kick, bottom of the foot.

Post #509651  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:50 pm 

Check out this run from Isaak vs Everton....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/M_yOVoQQeAA

Post #509652  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:12 pm 

Stan the man gets £35M windfall. Some may know this already.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... y-26795811

Post #509653  Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:15 pm 

Decaf wrote:
]
1. He probably felt that going defensive just after going two goals down was not a good move. Basically when we were 2-0 down it was hail Mary time.
2. A strong argument can be made that he should have started with a different lineup. I think he should have. BUT we been succesful this year by being brave and where we have change the lineup the result has not been particularly encouraging. Basically, he had a really tough decision to make and had he started with Jorginho and Tierney and it had gone pear shaped, people would be criticising him. Similarly, Zinchenko and Jesus. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
3. Midfield certainly is an area that we should look to strenthen, but that wasn't the problem on Wednesdsay. Defense, midfield and frontline are not separate units. If one cog is malfunctioning, the rest tends to go wonky too. I personally don't blame Holding exclusively either, although we clearly function better with Saliba. Our last couple of games meant that quite of a few of our players were lacking confidence. Saka made a few mistakes and was tentative, Jesus was trying too hard and all over the place again. Even Ramsdale, who made great saves, looked a bit shaky with his distribution--hardly surprising after his horror show last weekend.

Minus Saliba we sit deeper because without his pace and reading of the game we'd be caught with a higher line. You're right. A cog malfunctioning brings down the team. So perhaps A. Have a plan to replace Saliba. B. Have an Vlahovic or Osimehn for the long ball.

Post #509654  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:06 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Arseblog write up on tactics in the City game is excellent. Read it and then ask why Arteta made no change to our style of play after the first half was a disaster.

All this talk of a new forward is redundant. We had good forwards who received absolutely no support. The midfield failed to exist so why do people think a new forward will make a difference. And even when you buy a good forward you need a manager to get him to fit in to a system. Pep did it with Haaland but Klopp has failed with Nunez.

But don’t let me interrupt the opinions of real supporters who propose we sell 2 of our current 3 forwards. Genius and madness have a thin dividing line.

What we need is to be able to adapt to the game and change our game play if needed. Not play the same 11 players ever game with only one system of play. But there are those who believe Arteta is the messiah and can do no wrong. Stick your head back in the sand.

Hindsight is wonderful but maybe next year I would start the same game with a back 3 and try and take at least an even chance in a stacked midfield.

On another issue I understand Saliba has not signed an extension. I believe we exercised an option on him sometime back meaning he goes thru to 2025. But there are people including Ornstein who says it ends next year 2024 (maybe there was no option). If we don't think he will extend we will need to blood a new CB next year If he is thru to 2025 we will need to sell Saliba with a year left on his contract. It looks like this will be the most important negotiations we conduct over the next few months. He is now holding all the aces IMO.

Post #509655  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:12 am 

I fear the Qataris buying Man Utd even more than Roman buying Chelsea and the Emeratis buying City and I was extremely worried about those. Newcastle is farther along than City when they first got more money than god.

Any time any side gets this type of ownership they skew the market and the league. Man Utd though is an iconic name. I think they will tip City in dominance and be the side to beat. Man Utd is the type name that could convince a Neymar or Mbappe to come in their prime, when they otherwise may not were it City, Newcastle or Chelsea....or even Liverpool.

The top 3 or 4 places in the league will be almost impossible to get into when all that money comes to fruition. The gap in talent will be immense. There will be more money in the league. You'll see mid to lower mid table clubs breaking transfer records but the league will end up a destination for the best players. Yes, bot Spanish giants and Bayern and even PSG will still be very good but the money in the league, the visibility, will bring in the next Neymars and Mbappes.

Where will that leave us? Who knows.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65433123

Post #509656  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:13 am 

Now that the league is all but sewn up for them, I can see City dropping a game in the league with the FA cup final and the CL to contend with. They have 3 very tough games with playing Real Madrid twice and a cup final against Man Utd.

If they do, I can already hear the 'what ifs' but it won't matter. They are on a treble winning level right now. Nothing you can do about that.

Post #509657  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:12 am 

Couldn't have said it better. Jamie knows from watching his side go second with points that would win the league by 15 or 20 points or more easily.

Attachments:

Post #509658  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:29 am 

We also lost Jesus and Partey. The only way we were going to win the league is if we stayed healthy and we didn't. Had we had Jesus while he was out I'm 99.99 percent sure we'd have been half a dozen points to the good. He causes too many problems. Almost similarly with Partey. That combined with City's unbelievable form did us in. 95 points or more may seem like its going to win the league this year had we stayed healthy. That's a n unusually high bar to attain to win a title and Liverpool met it and still lost.

Post #509659  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:06 am 

I think the biggest factor in us dropping points this season has been when we have lost control of the midfield.

Partey has been tasked with controlling the centre of the park almost on his own and for the most part he has done an exceptional job but once his legs have gone or the midfield gets overloaded he can't do it all on his own. We lost control against Liverpool and West Ham when in a great position and it cost us dearly.

The sooner we get at least one topclass CM alongside him the better.

Personally, I would go big on Rice and Caicedo and consider selling Partey if we need to do that to part fund it. Partey is not getting any younger and he appears to have some off-field issues to contend with.

Post #509660  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:14 am 

The remainder of the season is something of an anti-climax for me.

We've achieved our overall objective which was to finish top four and the title challenge was just a massive bonus.

I do feel sad for the players that after showing so much mental strength for most of the season they crumbled somewhat when the pressure really mounted. I am disappointed that we couldn't show against City what a good side Arsenal are.

It seemed like mentally we had lost the City game before we even stepped on the park because from minute one we were a shadow of our normal selves, which is such a shame with the whole of the world eagerly anticipating a titanic tussle. To say we didn't do ourselves justice is something of an understatement.

I also think Arteta was unable to respond tactically to what Guardiola did, partly due to personnel available but he still should have done better and changed things when it was clear we were not at the races.

Overall, the City game was not a good day at the office for either players or manager.

Post #509661  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:50 am 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... relegated/

I got a good chuckle out of this.

Post #509662  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:00 am 

Given the disappointment there is a risk of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Those two city games came at the worst time for us, the only two times we’ve not been on a serious run of form. City kept everyone fit, we didn’t. We lost two poi by a to a now sacked linesman. It’s small margins.
We’ve done a lot well, very well

Post #509663  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:06 am 

It appears to me that too many things would have had to gone right for us to get the title.
No injuries to Jesus and Partey the biggest of all.
Perhaps some bad calls at important parts of certain games. A bad call when you are winning by 2 goals vs trying to get a winner.

Basically getting well into the 90s points wise. The planets would gave to align perfectly for that many points. We could win the remainder of our games and it would be more than enough in the past.

Post #509664  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:06 pm 

Trossard has to start the next game.
I’d keep Martinelli in up against Chelsea’s right side of defence minus Reece James.
Trossard to replace either Saka or Jesus.

Post #509665  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:18 pm 

Not sure if I'm nervous about the Chelsea game because I'm always nervous about big London derbies or there is evey reason to be.

I want to kill them. Big scoreline.

Post #509666  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:23 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Idiots on the internet? Who'd have thought? Every club has several million of them. Why waste time getting angry reading that nonsense? I'd suggest some deep breathing, a yoga session and a bit of Dame Edna with Parky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0CJn0 ... el=ppotter

"He toyed with the priesthood" :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #509667  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:32 pm 

Decaf wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Idiots on the internet? Who'd have thought? Every club has several million of them. Why waste time getting angry reading that nonsense? I'd suggest some deep breathing, a yoga session and a bit of Dame Edna with Parky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0CJn0 ... el=ppotter

"He toyed with the priesthood" :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Yes, poor old Clifford Smale.

Post #509668  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:25 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/gary-n ... e-collapse

I find this kind of punditry so reactive. Neville said some TG ing about Arsenal lacking leaders at the start of the season and was shouted down. He is obviously waiting for a defeat and is failing to win the title to try to prove his argument despite 95% of the season disproving his argument.

Punditry just seems to be so black and white now. Winners succeed are mentally tough, they have leaders and everyone else has to be a failure, psychologically weak, unable to lead and can’t hack the big moments. It’s all nonsense. There are far more areas of grey than black or white

Post #509669  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:18 pm 

Arsenal women’s team have sold out the emirates (60,000 tickets!) for the second leg of their CL semi v Wolfsburg on Monday. Pretty incredible.
I don’t know how many fans Wolfsburg usually get for their home games but that is going to surely surprise them and spur us on

Post #509670  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:30 pm 

I don’t know what is going to happen this summer at Barca, their financial situation seems to fluctuate between bankrupt and sugar daddy. But surely they need to offload a few players after trying to navigate around various financial rules in Spain.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Arteta went back for Raphinha, or try for Ferran Torres or Eric Garcia. Torres ship may have sailed now we have Trossard as they seem very alike

Post #509671  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:01 am 

I was watching season reviews and today it were the '98 and '99 seasons. Painful seeing that Leeds game in '99 again. O'Leary all too happy to beat us. He lost me as a fan of his. He took too much pleasure in it. What a crazy game though. Either side could have won it, thought a draw was going to happen but that clearance.

Post #509672  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:25 am 

Fulham looking good for a big upset.

Post #509673  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:04 am 

So, if City loses or even drops points will you:

1. Renew hopes we will win the title. You are preparing or the open bus ride in north London.
2. It won't matter, why torture ourselves, you've conceded the title isn't ours.
3. Not sure, will do a wait and see game by game.

Post #509674  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:06 am 

Sending the football gods an offering and a virgin sacrifice for
Fulham, Villa, Newcastle and Liverpool.

Post #509675  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:09 am 

We’ve had the most different goalscorers in the league this season with 15. Haaland has scored over 40% of all of City’s goals in the league.

We lost our main striker for 3 months, they kept theirs fit - despite him missing an average of 10 league games for Dortmund each season.

City are a better side than us but the margins for winning a title can be very small

Post #509676  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:12 am 

The must be 3rd or better prior season stat to win the league with only one exception going on 3 decades has reared its ugly head.

Post #509677  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:13 am 

Assuming that stat holds up, us, City and probably Newcastle statistically for next season.

Post #509678  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:19 am 

When Roy H took over palace there was someone on here who couldn’t understand why Palace had appointed him. Relegation was a real threat at the time. I think they have their answer now. Maybe Viera could have done the same but we will never know.

Post #509679  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:04 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
When Roy H took over palace there was someone on here who couldn’t understand why Palace had appointed him. Relegation was a real threat at the time. I think they have their answer now. Maybe Viera could have done the same but we will never know.

I think there is every chance Vieira would have done the same and Palace would still have a young progressive manager in charge, instead of a guy they will need to replace in the summer. Palace's fixture list was horribly skewed. They sacked Vieira after a poor run against the strongest teams in the league. Since then, it has primarily been bottom half teams and their results are as you would expect.

Post #509680  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:07 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Fulham looking good for a big upset.

I don't see it but I suppose there is always a chance. :58big-emoticons:

[ 520210 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12739, 12740, 12741, 12742, 12743, 12744, 12745 ... 13006  Next