Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], john1, mcquilkie and 270 guests

Post #500401  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:30 pm 

Sounds like the new chelsea owner is a complete bell end the likes we have never seen before

https://twitter.com/laurensjulien/statu ... fZqVavHU_A

Post #500402  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:00 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Darren wrote:
You don't. You just admire.

Just imagine having to mark him. For 90+ minutes. What a nightmare.

My avatar would have him in his pocket

Post #500403  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It’s not in any way hyperbole to say Haaland a special player. If you can’t identify this you don’t understand the sport and should watch Bowles or darts or something.

I can’t recall a player in that position looking so accomplished at such an age.

His movement is deadly. He doesn’t want the ball on the halfway line at all and always find space in the penalty area

An absolute nightmare to defend against and when we play them Gabriel needs to be on the ball and it definitely isn’t a game for Ben white.

Special he may be. But it is hyperbole to give up and think he’ll score loads against us. Show some backbone rather than be a wimp.

You appear to be making up the bit about him ‘going to score loads against us’ and ‘giving up’. I can’t see that anybody has actually said that.

I can see that he is admired as being a heck of a player. That’s about it really.

Post #500404  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:29 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Special he may be. But it is hyperbole to give up and think he’ll score loads against us. Show some backbone rather than be a wimp.

You appear to be making up the bit about him ‘going to score loads against us’ and ‘giving up’. I can’t see that anybody has actually said that.

I can see that he is admired as being a heck of a player. That’s about it really.

I can see that he is a heck of a player. So is Kane who has done it for a lot longer than Haaland. Respect and admiration is understandable for Haaland but the level it has reached here strikes me as verging on hero worship, and he doesn’t even play for Arsenal. You’d almost think we should give the League title to City because they gave him in the team. That’s what I mean by giving up, and I don’t think my view on it is outlandish. He may well score against us, but he also might not.

Post #500405  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I can see that he is a heck of a player. So is Kane who has done it for a lot longer than Haaland. Respect and admiration is understandable for Haaland but the level it has reached here strikes me as verging on hero worship, and he doesn’t even play for Arsenal. You’d almost think we should give the League title to City because they gave him in the team. That’s what I mean by giving up, and I don’t think my view on it is outlandish. He may well score against us, but he also might not.

Nobody has said that he will score against us. Nobody has said anything about giving up.

Except you in a straw man argument.

Post #500406  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:39 pm 

I can’t work out all the rumours about Marquinhos going on loan in January to give him more playing time. We were heavily rumoured to be after a mobile right sided attacking player in the summer, like Raphina, Neto, Gakpo and others.

With Saka as the first choice, would any of them have been sent on loan to get more playing time? Marquinhos did very well in Zurich and to me looked ready to play a part at Arsenal this season.

Post #500407  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:46 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Nobody has said that he will score against us. Nobody has said anything about giving up.

Okay. I’ll remove that part of my viewpoint. But the what I see as stomach churning hero worship for him remains in place.

Post #500408  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:03 pm 

Everyone who loves football can appreciate class players even if they don’t play for your club.

I remember being at Wembley for our champions league game v Dinamo Kyiv and seeing Shevchenko terrifying our defence for the first time. We contained him and think got a draw (might be wrong) and if I recall Big Tone made a world class tackle to stop him but you could just see he was class.

Post #500409  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:05 pm 

Bernard wrote:
...He may well score against us, but he also might not.
Deep analysis there B!

Post #500410  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Okay. I’ll remove that part of my viewpoint. But the what I see as stomach churning hero worship for him remains in place.

Fair enough. That’s your prerogative, especially if you find it stomach churning.

My personal observations are shaped by the fact that he is a one off. I can’t think of any player over the past few decades who does what he does. I like seeing different players and styles.

Post #500411  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Everyone who loves football can appreciate class players even if they don’t play for your club.

Sure it’s understandable to appreciate players of other clubs. As people here know I appreciate Harry Kane, not only for his excellence over many years but his loyalty to Tottenham.

But stomach churning hero worship, which is how I see some of the stuff here about Haaland, I find quite sickening.

Post #500412  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Fair enough. That’s your prerogative, especially if you find it stomach churning.

My personal observations are shaped by the fact that he is a one off. I can’t think of any player over the past few decades who does what he does. I like seeing different players and styles.

A one off? Unique (if that’s what you mean by you can’t think of anyone else) over the past few decades? Do you watch loads of Dortmund? If not his games for City still number single figures (nine). That’s very quick to call him words to the effect of unique.

How about Kane who has done it for much longer at a less good team? I may see him as beyond his peak now, but how about Lewandowksi?

Post #500413  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:30 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

A one off? Unique (if that’s what you mean by you can’t think of anyone else) over the past few decades? Do you watch loads of Dortmund? If not his games for City still number single figures (nine). That’s very quick to call him words to the effect of unique.

How about Kane who has done it for much longer at a less good team? I may see him as beyond his peak now, but how about Lewandowksi?

How about TH with the best goal per game ratio in Prem history. I'd wait to see how Haaland pans out. Way too early to make an assessment.

Post #500414  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I’ve seen lots of Haaland pre-Man City. It is presumptuous of you to assume otherwise. Same as I’ve seen Lewandowski despite him not being in the Premier League.

By one-off I mean that he does things that I have not seen in Kane or Lewandowski (nor for that matter Messi or Mbappe etc). That is not to say that he is better than either, but that he does different things. That’s it really.

Post #500415  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:41 pm 

Come come LTG, he only has 135 goals in his last 137 games. A good run of games, nothing more. This season's Joe Willock.

Post #500416  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:59 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Bernard wrote:

How about TH with the best goal per game ratio in Prem history. I'd wait to see how Haaland pans out. Way too early to make an assessment.

That’s basically how I see it.

Post #500417  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:14 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I’ve seen lots of Haaland pre-Man City. It is presumptuous of you to assume otherwise. Same as I’ve seen Lewandowski despite him not being in the Premier League.

By one-off I mean that he does things that I have not seen in Kane or Lewandowski (nor for that matter Messi or Mbappe etc). That is not to say that he is better than either, but that he does different things. That’s it really.

I was simply asking the question rather than presuming anything. By that standard you can probably call many players unique. Henry, Vieira, Messi, Ronaldo, Thomas Muller, Mbappe, Kane, Lewandowksi and others. Nobody is brilliant at everything, don’t forget. Messi’s strength isn’t heading and Henry’s strength wasn’t tackling. If Rich is right and Haaland only touches the ball ten times a game on average, he presumably is way more reliant on his teammates to provide him with assists so his infrequent touches are crucial than, say, Henry was.

Post #500418  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:50 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Currently Haaland looks like a world class penalty box poacher, very few touches, not involved in any build up, just phenomenal positioning, touch and finishing ability. However, would he be as effective in a different team not built to his strengths? Him and City certainly seem to be a match made in heaven - City have creative technicians galore they work it in to the box and give chances and half chances to Haaland who finishes them. What would he be like in a different team, can he make a goal out of nothing? I've not seen him do that. The likes of Henry could. Messi certainly can. Ronaldo when he was younger could but in his later years I'd put Ronaldo in the phenomenal penalty box finisher category.

It is these sorts of reasons why someone like Ian Wright is actually under appreciated. He played with some fairly average players and in teams whose tactics were defend first and give it to him to score a goal - and he very often did and some quite magical solo goals and goals out of nothing.

Post #500419  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:50 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Currently Haaland looks like a world class penalty box poacher, very few touches, not involved in any build up, just phenomenal positioning, touch and finishing ability. However, would he be as effective in a different team not built to his strengths? Him and City certainly seem to be a match made in heaven - City have creative technicians galore they work it in to the box and give chances and half chances to Haaland who finishes them. What would he be like in a different team, can he make a goal out of nothing? I've not seen him do that. The likes of Henry could. Messi certainly can. Ronaldo when he was younger could but in his later years I'd put Ronaldo in the phenomenal penalty box finisher category.

It is these sorts of reasons why someone like Ian Wright is actually under appreciated. He played with some fairly average players and in teams whose tactics were defend first and give it to him to score a goal - and he very often did and some quite magical solo goals and goals out of nothing.

Great point about Wrighty

Post #500420  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:04 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Currently Haaland looks like a world class penalty box poacher, very few touches, not involved in any build up, just phenomenal positioning, touch and finishing ability. However, would he be as effective in a different team not built to his strengths? .

He’s scored 20 goals in 21 games for Norway
62 in 67 games for dortmund
17 goals in 16 games for red bull
13 goals in 9 appearances so far for city

Haaland also set a new U-20 World Cup record for most goals scored by a single player in a match. He scored 9 :laughing7:

That’s ridiculous stats.

Post #500421  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Haaland also set a new U-20 World Cup record for most goals scored by a single player in a match. He scored 9 :laughing7:

That’s ridiculous stats.

Beginner's luck?

Post #500422  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:33 am 

Vince Ordinaire wrote:
Beginner's luck?

Vince !

Post #500423  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:37 am 

warrior wrote:

Vince !

:12hello-bye:

Post #500424  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
I can’t work out all the rumours about Marquinhos going on loan in January to give him more playing time. We were heavily rumoured to be after a mobile right sided attacking player in the summer, like Raphina, Neto, Gakpo and others.

With Saka as the first choice, would any of them have been sent on loan to get more playing time? Marquinhos did very well in Zurich and to me looked ready to play a part at Arsenal this season.

I thought the quotes from Arteta about him going on loan were subject to us being able to bring in another player in the Jan window

Post #500425  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:42 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Currently Haaland looks like a world class penalty box poacher, very few touches, not involved in any build up, just phenomenal positioning, touch and finishing ability. However, would he be as effective in a different team not built to his strengths? .

That’s ridiculous stats.

Yep, phenomenal goal-scoring stats. Up there with what Messi and Ronaldo have done for 10 years straight. But watching Messi play vs anyone else in the world shows me he's infinitely the best footballer, certainly of my generation. People compare Messi and Ronaldo (or Haaland) on their goal scoring - which Messi just comes out on top - but Messi is far more than just goals. He is the best creative player I've ever seen play the game as well.
In summary Messi can do everything Haaland and Ronaldo do in terms of goal scoring but neither of them can get close to anything else Messi does on the pitch

Post #500426  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:49 am 

Zinchenko is out of the Brentford game, 2 week injury.

Post #500427  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:26 am 

Without checking the line ups for all our games this season, I would be surprised if the most common starting eleven for Arsenal so far wasn’t Ramsdale (keeper), White (right back), Zinchenko (left back), Saliba (central defence), Gabriel (central defence), Partey (central midfield), Xhaka (central midfield), Ødegaard (attacking central midfield), Zaka (wide right), Martinelli (wide left), Jesus (striker).

But if everyone in the squad is fully fit and not suspended, what do people think our starting eleven should be for a big game where nobody will be rested?

The possible options to me look Tomiyasu or White at right back, two of Saliba, Gabriel and White in central defence, Tierney or Zinchenko at left back, two of Partey, Xhaka and Zinchenko in central midfield, Ødegaard and Smith Rowe at attacking central midfield), Saka or Marquinhos at wide right, Martinelli or Smith Rowe at wide left, with Jesus or Nketiah as striker.

Obviously some players are options for more than one position like White at right back or central defence, Zinchenko at left back or central midfield, and Smith Rowe at attacking central midfield or wide left. So a choice between where they play has to be made.

I think my own choice would be a starting eleven of Ramsdale (keeper), Tomiyasu (right back), Tierney (left back), Saliba (central defence), Gabriel (central defence) Partey (central midfield), Zinchenko (central midfield), Ødegaard (attacking central midfield), Saka (wide right), Martinelli (wide left), Jesus (striker).

The reason I’ve put Zinchenko in midfield is although he’s played commendably at left back, he goes wandering a bit too often leaving the left side of our defence gaping wide open (which Tierney doesn’t do). I want Zinchenko in the team somewhere and I’ve had him replace Xhaka rather than Partey because for balance, like Xhaka, he’s left footed. Arguably a bit of an odd decision as I think Xhaka has had a better season than Partey so far, but there you go.

Bit harsh on White maybe, but I think Tomiyasu is the better right back and I’d go with Saliba and Gabriel in central defence. Sadly I’m struggling to fit Smith Rowe in anywhere as a starter. Ødegaard centrally and Martinelli on the left both get in ahead of him.

Post #500428  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:03 am 

Rich wrote:

The left back hoodoo is catching then.

Post #500429  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:55 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

If Tierney plays it won’t make too much difference, if any at all. Zinchenko has played very well at left back but as I said in my longer post above, he does go wandering to leave the left side of our defence exposed. Tierney doesn’t do that.

Post #500430  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:32 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

If Tierney plays it won’t make too much difference, if any at all. Zinchenko has played very well at left back but as I said in my longer post above, he does go wandering to leave the left side of our defence exposed. Tierney doesn’t do that.

Indeed. In fact it might work in our favour. His omission from the national side will give him a longer period to properly recover.

Post #500431  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:59 am 

Sorry for being defeatist but Haaland scores again. :14laughter:

Post #500432  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get 50+ goals in all competitions this season.

Post #500433  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:28 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get 50+ goals in all competitions this season.

He’s probably gonna get another 3 in the second half alone.

Wolves down to 10 after one of the worst challenges you’ll see. The players boot almost went directly through grealishs chest made even funnier by the wolves players complaining anyway

Post #500434  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:38 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

How thrilling for City fans…and an Arsenal fan perhaps?

Post #500435  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:01 pm 

Charlie Patino starts for Blackpool today, and has scored.

Post #500436  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:53 pm 

Yeah I hope Leicester go down

Useless twats who give it the big un ‘and deliver nothing.

Utterly pathetic

Post #500437  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yeah I hope Leicester go down

Useless twats who give it the big un ‘and deliver nothing.

Utterly pathetic

Bit of a downer.

Post #500438  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:25 am 

Tottenham have certainly mastered the art of playing poorly but winning.

Looking at the result against Leicester you'd think they were utterly dominant and yet for a large period of the game they were second best. Infact, there were audible groans from the Spurs supporters as more and more passes went astray and possession was lost time and time again.

What it clearly shows is that they are utterly ruthless on the counter attack. Son came on a scored a hat-trick, including two curling efforts which no-one in our team currently would have scored. Martinelli threatens to cut-inside and score those curling efforts but rarely does at the moment. Saka too is capable of those kind of goals but isn't firing on all cyclinders. Jesus has the ability but those kind of goals are not really his forte.

It's annoying because Son was looking out of sorts this season but now he's back to his best ahead of the derby.

How long Spurs can go on playing badly but winning is debatable but with those forward options it looks likely to continue for a good while.

Post #500439  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:28 am 

Tough game today.

As Mee (RIP) would have so eloquently pointed out its an early kick-off on a tight little ground with a voiciferous home support and against a team with no shortage of physicality.

Post #500440  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:39 am 

socrates wrote:
Tough game today.

As Mee (RIP) would have so eloquently pointed out its an early kick-off on a tight little ground with a voiciferous home support and against a team with no shortage of physicality.

Last season I saw people (perhaps you were one) moan about playing them away in the evening. Now you’re worried it’s an early kick off. When do you want to play them socrates?

If we lose today it won’t have anything to do with the kick off time.

[ 520210 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12508, 12509, 12510, 12511, 12512, 12513, 12514 ... 13006  Next