Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 416 guests

Post #489481  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Nice of us to refuse the gift of a free goal there. Very sporting.

Lacazette just stood and watched- a proper poacher would have taken that off Özil

Post #489482  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:47 pm 

There have been the odd opportunities today that we’ve let ourselves down with fairly basic errors or technique or poor decision making. The sorts of errors the players shouldn’t make VE ause they are good enough in the situations they were in.

Post #489483  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:48 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Very poor indeed.

He looks to be completely lacking in confidence and is getting progressively worse as the game continues.

Post #489484  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:48 pm 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Lacazette just stood and watched- a proper poacher would have taken that off Özil

Wasn’t Lacazette in an offside position?

Post #489485  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:49 pm 

While we're obviously a long way short of City there have been some encouraging signs. Looking forward to seeing us improve as time goes by.

Post #489486  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:49 pm 

From what I’ve read about the style and philosophy Emery has for football, I can look around our squad and see a number of players who don’t fit in or are still not good enough for us. It is going to take a long time to fix the mess we were left in. It would be helpful if the coffers were opened up a bit more so that a newly promoted club aren’t out spending us!

Post #489487  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:50 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Didn’t think so but I’ll have another look

Post #489488  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:51 pm 

Čech really has to be dropped. It sort of doesn’t matter how good he is at every other aspect of the game, with the ball at his feet he is going to cost us goals and put us under pressure time and time again

Post #489489  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:52 pm 

Shame that it’s Chelsea away next. No easier there I suspect.

Post #489490  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:54 pm 

Amongst the general disappointment of losing the most frustrating part for me has been the lack of care and mistakes in the final 3rd when we have got in good positions. The players have shown they are better than that in those areas.

Post #489491  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:56 pm 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Can’t see it cos my Dads sky box is knackered and doesn’t like rewind. Anyone else see if he was off or not?

Post #489492  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:57 pm 

No doubt City deserves the win, but the game has to be put into context. They're an amazing team who had 100 points last year and scored over 100 goals. We're very much a work in progress with only one pre season under a new manager and new system. Thought there were plenty of encouraging signs, as well as things to work on.

In recent years a loss like this would leave you feeling dejected about the state of things, but I'm looking forward to following this team through the season. For me Torreira and Lacazette must start next game. I think we have a chance against Chelsea.

Post #489493  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:57 pm 

john1 wrote:
john1 wrote:

Can’t see it cos my Dads sky box is knackered and doesn’t like rewind. Anyone else see if he was off or not?

Haven't seen the replay, but I'm pretty sure he was onside. Not sure he knew that though.

Post #489494  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

That’s why it’s going to be important not to over react. I expect us to lose to Chelsea as well. Because of these first two games we are playing almost a 36 game season.

This season more than any it was important for us to get a group of easy early fixtures to learn the new managers methods. We were always going to get taken apart by city. If we’d had a Watford home and Cardiff away for example we might have been able to have a stuttering performance and still won both games. Building the confidence and being a much better team when we do face city

Post #489495  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:59 pm 

New season, same old sh*t, expect much of the same for the next 20+ years under the regime from hell.

Post #489496  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:00 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
john1 wrote:

Haven't seen the replay, but I'm pretty sure he was onside. Not sure he knew that though.

I’d be interested to know. I had assumed from the lack of reaction that Lacazette was offside. Perhaps he was just stunned by Özil’s lack of control.

Post #489497  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:00 pm 

I hope Emery gets the videos out and drums stuff in to this team. He second city goal had Özil, guendouzi and Mkhitaryan all jogging back where a sprint back would have put them on the penalty spot exactly where Bernardo pulled to when he finished it.

Emery needs to be dropping players who don’t track back and bust a guy for the team. Wenger would never do it. I hope Emery does

Post #489498  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

That’s why it’s going to be important not to over react. I expect us to lose to Chelsea as well. Because of these first two games we are playing almost a 36 game season.

This season more than any it was important for us to get a group of easy early fixtures to learn the new managers methods. We were always going to get taken apart by city. If we’d had a Watford home and Cardiff away for example we might have been able to have a stuttering performance and still won both games. Building the confidence and being a much better team when we do face city

Far too many square pegs in round holes, as there has been for quite a while now.

Post #489499  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:03 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I’d be interested to know. I had assumed from the lack of reaction that Lacazette was offside. Perhaps he was just stunned by Özil’s lack of control.

On the subject of Sky boxes, anyone know if you can still get hold of older models? Don’t want to get the new box for Dad, he’s 93 and shakes. That new Q box goes all over the place when I use it, and he’s used to what he knows.

Post #489500  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:04 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Far too many square pegs in round holes, as there has been for quite a while now.

Agreed. Lichsteiner should have been on from the start. AMN is not devil enough to play at the back, and injury aside, his confidence won’t have been helped.

Post #489501  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:07 pm 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

On the subject of Sky boxes, anyone know if you can still get hold of older models? Don’t want to get the new box for Dad, he’s 93 and shakes. That new Q box goes all over the place when I use it, and he’s used to what he knows.

Have you tried ebay? Most stuff is available somewhere on there.

Post #489502  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:08 pm 

certainly away to the top teams I’d be tempted to play this team
Leno, Lichtsteiner, mustafi, Sokratis, Monreal, Torreira, amn, ramsey, Welbeck, Aubameyang, Lacazette.

Post #489503  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:08 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

I’ll have a go but wary of eBay. Thanks for the suggestion

Post #489504  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:10 pm 

A mixed performance really, some positives and some negatives.

I don't think you can play the two pussies that are Özil and Mika in the same team against top sides. Too lightweight.

Guendouzi had a mixed game, made some mistakes but looked classy at times. Not bad for a 19 year old kid though.

Xhaka is shite, too slow and too many sloppy moments and careless fouls. Always a yellow card waiting to happen. I'd play Torriera and Guendouzi.

Bellerin's end product is just so poor.

Lichsteiner at least looked like a fullback in terms of his positional play.

Lacazette came on a made a good case for a starting position.

The sad conclusion is that we are miles away from challenging, if indeed we ever do. Too many lost opportunities transfer-window wise have left us playing catch-up big time and £50m transfer budgets is not going to close the gap anytime soon.

Post #489505  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:11 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I wish I was in London for this new era. Interesting how it all turns out. It may be dawn of two eras actually. This may be the dawn of Josh Kroenke having a more hands on approach with the club. I've always thought long term he is the one we need to suss out as to his intentions. He will be the boss of Arsenal long term. So far, he seems better than his father. The little we can ascertain from his business/sports professional history, he has a bigger desire to win things than his father and has already had a more day to day operational experience with a professional side. That bodes well. I'd rather we have different owners but if its between Josh or father running things, I'd much prefer Josh.

I'd agree with this. Stan is all about the money, the empire and the accumulation. Josh already has the money and will inherit the empire, so is probably more in the mindset of considering what he wants from life beyond such things. Also, as you say, his greater involvement in the KSE teams in the US has seen an upturn in their fortunes.

Post #489506  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:11 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
New season, same old sh*t, expect much of the same for the next 20+ years under the regime from hell.

What a monumentally stupid post.

Post #489507  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:12 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Any centrebacks or wingers for sale?

Post #489508  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:14 pm 

Positives
Lichtsteiner. He lost bernardo’s movement but his attitude, leadership, fight and steady play is exactly what we need this season
Lacazette looked lovely and sharp when he came on - must start the next game
Guendouzi - all too early for him but didn’t hide and looks like he embodies what Emery wants from his CM

Negatives
Özil and Mkhi, poor touches going forward, no effect at all defensively. So many other flair players work their butts off when they lose the ball, firminho, de bruyn etc we’re not asking them to be master tacklers sometimes it’s just getting another body back and slowing down their attacks - pires did this but rarely tackled
Cech- Leno needs to start, Čech made some good saves, maybe ones I’d expect him to make but he’s a disaster with the ball at his feet - peaking at nearly passing a ball straight in to his own net
Xhaka - pretty anonymous when we needed a steadying influence in the middle of the park.

Post #489509  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:16 pm 

I've been slating the purchase of Sokratis but he did Ok today.

Post #489510  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
Liverpool look good. However, every time they attack West Ham only seem to have their back 4 back. It was proven that Liverpool struggle against packed defences where they can’t use their speed and the counter attack - it amazes me that smaller teams don’t use all use this tactic

West Ham seemed to try to pick the team most vulnerable to Liverpool's strengths. No legs in central midfield, a positionally poor set of full backs, a high line and no legs in central midfield. Jack barely touched the ball....

Post #489511  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:19 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Not the way I saw it at all. Great effort from Özil to intercept & all lava had to do was give a subtle touch for Özil to get it free from the keeper & Lacazette just stood there.

As for those calling for Wellbeck- what a joke. Mr injury was not good enough last year & never will be. Today the lack of effort from Ramsay, mh, Aubameyang and Özil was really poor and sloppy. Lakas miss just after he came on was just one of those things as it was too soon but overall when we had the ball attacking we often were too lax with it. We have a long way to go and the Chelsea game will be important because We really need to see them all play better.

Post #489512  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:19 pm 

socrates wrote:

Thought both him and Mustafi looked really good. They were a worry going into the game, but can't fault them today.

Don't think Xhaka were as bad as some are saying. He had two big defensive lapses in the first half, but none of them were as bad as when Guendouzi let Sterling have a free shot at goal, and then gave Aguero a free run at Čech. Think we need one of Torreira or Elneny to start next game for better balance in midfield.

Post #489513  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:20 pm 

Rich wrote:
Laporte high through the back of Aubameyang. Later in the game it’s a yellow - should be in the 2nd minute as well

Yeah. Nothing too nasty thankfully, but another game where the uber-rich get the little decisions...from a ref I rate on the whole, but he booked Xhaka for a very similar offence to 2 city ones he let go in the preceding 5 mins.

Also, as a more general point, no VAR after the world cup seems even more bloody backwards. (might have got a pen for a clear take down in their box late on, if it was in place...might!)

Post #489514  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 pm 

Rich wrote:
Well that was a bit too bloody easy. Show a man inside by all means but make sure you show him in to another man to make a tackle. Just a free run for sterling to run across the box and have a free shot from 20 yards

Unfortunately Bellerin was with him, but as Guendouzi came across to try to help, he actually got in Hectors way and gave Sterling space. Annoying that Sterling hit a cleaner strike on day one against us than in the entire world cup for england!

Post #489515  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:24 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:

What a monumentally stupid post.

Nearly as stupid as backing Wenger for years past his best?.

:1laughter:

Post #489516  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:27 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Nearly as stupid as backing Wenger for years past his best?.

If it makes you feel better about having the exact same boring whinge at every opportunity, sure.

Post #489517  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

Thought both him and Mustafi looked really good. They were a worry going into the game, but can't fault them today.

Don't think Xhaka were as bad as some are saying. He had two big defensive lapses in the first half, but none of them were as bad as when Guendouzi let Sterling have a free shot at goal, and then gave Aguero a free run at Čech. Think we need one of Torreira or Elneny to start next game for better balance in midfield.

Xhaka is just too pedestrian, Haz, always has been and seemingly always will be. The positives in his game, and there are many, just do not offset the obvious weaknesses in terms of pace and athleticism.

Guendouzi made a couple of howlers and is far from the finished article but probably showed more balls today than most of the Arsenal players.

Post #489518  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:28 pm 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

He may have been worried about being offside?

Post #489519  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:31 pm 

socrates wrote:
Xhaka is just too pedestrian, Haz, always has been and seemingly always will be. The positives in his game, and there are many, just do not offset the obvious weaknesses in terms of pace and athleticism.

Well, I disagree with that. A couple of mistakes aside he had a good game. Some very crisp passing to start our attacks, and on several occasions kept the ball in the attacking half when City tried to counter.

Guendouzi has all the talent in the world, but I think we need to protect him better and not throw him into the deep end like this.

Post #489520  Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:31 pm 

Encouraging signs of the high press too. Not sure Özil and Mika are two of the guys to implement it though.

[ 572038 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12235, 12236, 12237, 12238, 12239, 12240, 12241 ... 14301  Next