Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 399 guests

Post #487081  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal’s 10 most likely signings scoring to the bookies
Bernd Leno – EVS
Max Meyer – 5/4
Dan Leno and Max Miller would be better.

Post #487082  Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:58 pm 

I suppose many are aware of what Usmanov might do.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footba ... 670722.amp :boxing:

Post #487083  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 am 

Zed wrote:
I suppose many are aware of what Usmanov might do.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footba ... 670722.amp :boxing:

I assume his money has increased in value but he can obviously make more use of the money elsewhere, especially in football.

Post #487084  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:49 am 

What will Markle's title be? Duchess? Princess? Countess? Septic? haha

Post #487085  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:44 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Troll.

Post #487086  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 am 

Interview - Arsène Wenger: ‘I haven’t emptied my desk and in a way I am still in shock’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... kel-arteta

Post #487087  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:40 pm 

If we really do only have £50m plus anything we make from sales hen I can’t see us getting in the top 4 next season. Everyone above us bar spurs will spend more than that and we have by far the most problems.

Also, time for us to clear some deadwood and make sure we get proper values from them. The Szczesny decision for £10m is still hurting me.

Akpom, Campbell, Perez, jenkinson all on loan and need to go. Find a buyer for Mustafi and Ospina. We might be able to get £40-45m for that lot.
2 new CB
1 new RB
1 new CM (plus maybe Meyer on a free)
1 wife player
£95m for that is only £20m per player. Doesn’t get you much

Post #487088  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:35 pm 

As the boards resident intellectual who people look to for words of comfort during a time of crisis let me say this...........if we appoint Arteta with a £50m transfer budget then we are all doomed, doomed I tell ya!. We might as well resign from the league, knock down the Emirates and build retirement flats.

Post #487089  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:17 pm 

socrates wrote:
As the boards resident intellectual who people look to for words of comfort during a time of crisis let me say this...........if we appoint Arteta with a £50m transfer budget then we are all doomed, doomed I tell ya!. .

Mee is that you in there ? I can feel your aura

Weird

Post #487090  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
If we really do only have £50m plus anything we make from sales hen I can’t see us getting in the top 4 next season. Everyone above us bar spurs will spend more than that and we have by far the most problems.

Also, time for us to clear some deadwood and make sure we get proper values from them. The Szczesny decision for £10m is still hurting me.

Akpom, Campbell, Perez, jenkinson all on loan and need to go. Find a buyer for Mustafi and Ospina. We might be able to get £40-45m for that lot.
2 new CB
1 new RB
1 wife player

That Greek guy we are looking at has got Squilachi 2 written all over him hasn’t he

Post #487091  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:28 pm 

socrates wrote:
As the boards resident intellectual who people look to for words of comfort during a time of crisis let me say this...........if we appoint Arteta with a £50m transfer budget then we are all doomed, doomed I tell ya!. We might as well resign from the league, knock down the Emirates and build retirement flats.

Think we've already done that...

Post #487092  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:41 pm 

Rich wrote:

2 new CB
1 new RB
1 wife player

Even in these days of rampant equality I question whether we need a wife player.

Post #487093  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:45 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Laughing at your own jokes again American. I bet the 'guys' down at the 'soccer bar' love it when you walk through the door.

Post #487094  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:19 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

2 new CB
1 new RB
1 wife player

Even in these days of rampant equality I question whether we need a wife player.

John Terry seems happy at Villa anyway.

Post #487095  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Just watched Frankie Boyle, he says Megan dreamed of being a princess but is now going to be known as the Duchess of Sussex which sounds like a pub in Eastbourne.

Post #487096  Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:00 pm 

Daz wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Troll.

Token.

Post #487097  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:28 am 

Rich wrote:

2 new CB
1 new RB
1 wife player

I'd be disappointed if we don't get top four. Whoever is our manager just need to maintain our home form and improve our away form. Priority is a top CB follow by a DCM. Our front five (I assume they're Aubameyang, Lacazette, Özil, Mhkit and Ramsey) should have no problems getting at least 50 league goals. We just need to tweak our defensive system.

Post #487098  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:27 am 

I think it’s difficult to predict how we will fare. It seems it’s Arteta which whilst I don’t think is the best appointment does make for an exciting uncertain future and our fans absolutely need to get behind him which I’m sure they will it could be a interesting environment at Arsenal.

Ramsey won’t be playing with us next season so that leaves Özil, Aubameyang, Lacazette and Mhikitaryan going forward. You have to say that’s pretty good offensive wise and if the club can bring in a mobile hardworking midfielder and centre back we could make an unexpected push for top 4.

Also there is the unknown factor that for the first time in a decade the players will be playing for their places rather than shrouded in complacency. That could be a major boost.

Regardless of new signings for next season I would say if Arteta somehow got us back into the top 4 it would be a terrific achievement for him and the club but I would suggest a more likely a 5th or 6th place finish will occur and there is no shame in that given where we are.

I still think we have a 2 or 3 season rebuilding phase in prospect and it’s not all just on Arteta remember as Sven Mislintat and Raul sanllehi will need to do a good job in offloading Perez, Mustafi and Xhaka and importantly recouping as much money as possible that Wenger wasted on them.

Post #487099  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:08 am 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

2 new CB
1 new RB
1 wife player

I'd be disappointed if we don't get top four. Whoever is our manager just need to maintain our home form and improve our away form. Priority is a top CB follow by a DCM. Our front five (I assume they're Aubameyang, Lacazette, Özil, Mhkit and Ramsey) should have no problems getting at least 50 league goals. We just need to tweak our defensive system.

I admire your belief in the squad but I disagree. It is World Cup year so looking across our current squad the only players likely to be at the World Cup are monreal, ospina, Wellbeck, Iwobi. Three of them are not really regulars for us. Okay Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan may be first picks for their country but they are not great national teams. I have not included Ramsay because I doubt he will be with us next year but even then he is not wales best player.

Hard to say we have a good squad when most of them are not first or second pick for their countries. Not one of our squad is even a member of a world class team other than monreal & it is not clear if he will make their team. I just think our whole squad is not of the highest quality.

I did forget Özil but he is it then & he is sickly child.

Post #487100  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:12 am 

So, where is everyone ?

Ahh, the wedding .... ;-)

Post #487101  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:34 am 

warrior wrote:
So, where is everyone ?

Ahh, the wedding .... ;-)

Polishing up our cv’s. Apparently we may be the only people left who will agree to manage the club with a transfer spend of 50mil. Even Tony Pulis isn’t interested.

Post #487102  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:00 pm 

Read an article on explanation of budget and how transfer fees are amortised over he length of a players contract. So a £50m signing on a 5 years deal only costs the club £10m per season - with wages on top.

The argument being that a £50m budget can be counted in these terms so there is nothing really stopping us spending a lot more.

Post #487103  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:53 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

2 new CB
1 new RB
1 wife player

Me too Goonie. This sqaud is a lot better than it's been made to look in recent seasons. Wengers faith in "letting them figure it out" was flawed because they clearly don't have that nous. But, get someone in who can coach them and tell them what to do with regard to tactics, structure and situational planning and the same team will be much better. Like you said, get someone, anyone to work on the defense and there is another 20 points in this team.

Post #487104  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:03 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I admire your belief in the squad but I disagree. It is World Cup year so looking across our current squad the only players likely to be at the World Cup are monreal, ospina, Wellbeck, Iwobi. Three of them are not really regulars for us. Okay Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan may be first picks for their country but they are not great national teams. I have not included Ramsay because I doubt he will be with us next year but even then he is not wales best player.

Hard to say we have a good squad when most of them are not first or second pick for their countries. Not one of our squad is even a member of a world class team other than monreal & it is not clear if he will make their team. I just think our whole squad is not of the highest quality.

I did forget Özil but he is it then & he is sickly child.

I'm not so sure Gaz. Part of the reason they're not at the world cup is because they were made to look average in our team working under Wenger. We've seen a lot better from nearly all of them but National teams will usually go on form unless there are slim pickings or they have a superstar who they're hoping will help them out. Look at the French team for example where some very good players have been left out entirely. Maybe being left out will also help their motivation. Especially the ones who were cruising under Wengers moddy coddled blanket.

Post #487105  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
The argument being that a £50m budget can be counted in these terms so there is nothing really stopping us spending a lot more.

Except for the fact that, umm, we won't. :angel4:

Post #487106  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:30 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
It is World Cup year so looking across our current squad the only players likely to be at the World Cup are monreal, ospina, Wellbeck, Iwobi.

There are a few more, Elneny and Xhaka are starters for their national sides.

Then we have Koscielny who started almost all of Frances qualifiers and would most likely have made the squad if not for his injury. Kolasinac is a starter for Bosnia as well. Lacazette just missed out on a place in a very competitive France squad. So we have quite a few players involved in international football.

Having this many player miss out on the world cup for various reasons could work to our advantage however. A lot of players who will get a proper pre season under the new regime.

Post #487107  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:44 pm 

Feels strange being optimistic for a new season.

Post #487108  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:55 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Feels strange being optimistic for a new season.

However it goes it's going to be the first season for years that's actually going to be interesting.

Post #487109  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:24 pm 

I hope Prince Harry and Meghan remembered to hire someone to video their wedding for them else they won't have any way of seeing it.

Post #487110  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:44 pm 

Royal wedding or FA cup final
..oh what an impossible choice.

Post #487111  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:45 pm 

Mr. Mourinho or Mrs. Simpson? 8mpossible to decide. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #487112  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:47 pm 

Cheering for Chelsea in order to preserve our FA cup totals compared to Man Utd.

Post #487113  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:11 pm 

Utterly forgettable final.

Post #487114  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:12 pm 

Giroud wins the fa Cup again.

Dreadful game. Both teams packed with defensive minded players. Save for hazard very little flair on he pitch.

So glad that Jose has won sod all. Sanchez by the way was absolutely anonymous

Post #487115  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:25 pm 

Niall wrote:
Utterly forgettable final.

Riveting.

Poor Alexis looked a bit sullen.

Post #487116  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
Read an article on explanation of budget and how transfer fees are amortised over he length of a players contract. So a £50m signing on a 5 years deal only costs the club £10m per season - with wages on top.

That's not quite the case, Rich. From an accountancy standpoint it is £10m pa until the contract expires but that doesn't reflect the cash flow position. You could make a comparison to a company buying a motor vehicle. They either borrow or pay up front. The vehicle is included as an asset and this value is reduced in the accounts over a number of years with a depreciation charge.

Players' transfers are subject to varying payment arrangements. Cash flow is the key issue although profitability comes into play for FFP. Having said all that, Arsenal have lots of cash. I wouldn't give much credence to the £50m figure as a reliable estimate of our transfer budget.

Post #487117  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:49 pm 

That young American gel acquitted herself very well today. Jobbing actress to Countess - that’s impressive.

But then, Major Hewitt’s lad has done pretty well for himself too.

Post #487118  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:58 pm 

Here's to Harry and Meghan.
Lovely couple.
She is a real stunner.

What a great speech by the Reverend Curry too.

Post #487119  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:07 pm 

Amazing end to the German cup final. 5th minute of injury time and Frankfurt are 2-1 up against Bayern. Bayern have a claim for a penalty which goes to VAR. it looks an absolute nailed on pen, the ref reviews it himself pitchsode and decides its only a corner. Frankfurt clear the corner and run the ball to an empty net as the GK was up, last kick of the game and Frankfurt upset the odds to win 3-1.

Love the underdog winning but the VAR decision seems crazy to me.

Post #487120  Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:07 pm 

When Arteta was first touted as Wengers replacement I was somewhat incredulous and dismissive.
Always Allegri for me........
But as the weeks have gone by I have started to warm to the idea and I actually think , a gut feeling really that he will do a very good job.
Yes no managerial experience and though Paddy and Thierry are utter total legends I would prefer Arteta over the 2 of them.
One thing is for sure.
Groundhog Day and the staleness/samey samey have been smashed to smithereens and been replaced by a feeling of excitement and the utter unknown.
The whole fanbase has to unite and get right behind him
I think we will be ok with Arteta.

[ 572013 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12175, 12176, 12177, 12178, 12179, 12180, 12181 ... 14301  Next