Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lincoln gooner, warrior and 410 guests

Post #486921  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Apparently the new manager is indeed Arteta and he will be announced on Thursday or Friday.

Everyone in the know is now saying this.

He wouldn't be my choice but I certaimly see the logic. He is clearly rated ad a coach, otherwise he wouldn't be Pep's assistant. He was a really good pro who quite obviously worked hard at his game and used his brains on the pitch as opposed to any outstanding technical gifts (although he was good on deadballs).

Many European clubs have gone down a similar route with the structure Arsenal now have in place. Pep himself had done nothing as a manager when Barca gave him the job.

It could work very well.

Post #486922  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 pm 

dec wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Xabi Alonso is basically the player Xhaka should model his game after. If these rumours are true, it will be interesting to see how Xhaka develops.

Xhaka is nowhere near as talented as Alonso though. I'd prefer to watch Xhaka develop at a different club.

:laughing7:

Arteta and Alonso will be trying to grab their own boots when they see the unbalanced state of our midfield and Xhaka not bothering to track back. We could have 2 player managers on our hands

Post #486923  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

These people in the know. Why haven't they known with certainty about countless other rumours before?

They have. Announced the project Saturn building work 6 months ahead of Arsenal announcing it

Ok but I'd say that one was a little easier to get an inside scoop on given the building tender and contracts would have involved countless people not as rigidly bound (or giving a *%^@) about internal Arsenal confidentiality agreements.

Post #486924  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Speaking of other forumites that seem to have vanished I wonder what happened to Harlow Steve / Northbank. One of Wengers staunchest supporters for a while there until even he realised that Wenger was talking bollox.

He's on twitter now and has been absolutely coating Wenger for about a year now. In the end at least he had the bollocks to admit he was wrong about Arsene and admitting your wrong about something always is a sign of a good bloke.

Post #486925  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:58 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

They have. Announced the project Saturn building work 6 months ahead of Arsenal announcing it

Ok but I'd say that one was a little easier to get an inside scoop on given the building tender and contracts would have involved countless people not as rigidly bound (or giving a *%^@) about internal Arsenal confidentiality agreements.

Mate. Everyone is saying it. I'll leave it like that

Post #486926  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:03 pm 

Goonie wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Poch demanding more money for players and double his wages.

Would you take him?

It'd be like Sol Campbell all over again. Let's make it happen.

Hmmm I'm not sure tbh. And it's probably more because of the type of players he seems to prefer compared with our current squad.

Post #486927  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Mate. Everyone is saying it. I'll leave it like that

Well if everyone one are right I'll admit to being a little underwhelmed. Id be supportive of Arteta but wouldn't want to see a Martinez scenario who seems like a nice bloke but not quite able.to take it to the next step

Post #486928  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:09 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Apparently the new manager is indeed Arteta and he will be announced on Thursday or Friday.

Everyone in the know is now saying this.

He wouldn't be my choice but I certaimly see the logic. He is clearly rated ad a coach, otherwise he wouldn't be Pep's assistant. He was a really good pro who quite obviously worked hard at his game and used his brains on the pitch as opposed to any outstanding technical gifts (although he was good on deadballs).

Many European clubs have gone down a similar route with the structure Arsenal now have in place. Pep himself had done nothing as a manager when Barca gave him the job.

It could work very well.

I think he's a good guy and I thought he was a solid professional not one of our great players. I'll give him my full support and sympathy as he's got a huge task ahead of him.

However I think appointing Arteta does say something about our board and direction as this was a real opportunity. Also is anyone shocked that Kroenke has opted for the cheapest possible option, I now doubt the club can be successful again whilst he is in charge.

Post #486929  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:12 pm 

Arteta and Alonso, first team
Freddie u23s it seems
Mertesacker youth academy.

Not much experience there

Post #486930  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:17 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

It could work very well.

I think he's a good guy and I thought he was a solid professional not one of our great players. I'll give him my full support and sympathy as he's got a huge task ahead of him.

However I think appointing Arteta does say something about our board and direction as this was a real opportunity. Also is anyone shocked that Kroenke has opted for the cheapest possible option, I now doubt the club can be successful again whilst he is in charge.

I think the new manager will be spared somewhat and that Kroenke and Gazidis will be the next targets if they mess this up.

Post #486931  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:31 pm 

Still mystifying that Arteta is considered a better prospect than Vieira. Half the current lot would be sh1%%&ng their pants with Vieira's shadow looming from the sidelines and he was the last one to take the team to a league title so knows what it takes. Arteta, hmm less so.

Time will tell I guess.

Post #486932  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:33 pm 

Is Arteta confirmed? So, they're going for the Tim Sherwood/Inzaghi/Seedorf option? Ambition, my a*se. We'll wait and see but in all likelihood, he'll be shuffled off in a season or two, with Arsenal in sixth or seventh place, and they'll try to pretend it never happened. A bit surprised Kroenke would entrust his cash cow to a novice... What's his track record with hiring managers for his US franchises?

Post #486933  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:57 pm 

Can’t say I’m too enthused by Arteta. At the outset I should say that I never really rated him as a player and I never saw him as a particularly inspirational or motivating captain. As I’ve said, I can’t see he’s picked up the required skills in the 2 years since he left us and I don’t think he’s given himself the time sufficiently to change his status from teammate to boss. How are those with whom he played likely to respond to a bollocking from such an inexperienced ex-teammate?

Whilst he left us 2 years ago, he'd hardly played in his final 2 years with us when he was effectively a non-playing Club Captain – a bit like Per has been. When he did play in those last couple of seasons, his legs had so clearly gone that he was arguably the slowest thing I’ve seen in an Arsenal shirt. Latterly, his major contribution was to pick up cards, which was his only response as the opposition increasingly sought to exploit his obvious weakness. Like many in our set-up over the last few years, he was indulged by being kept on for at least 2 seasons longer than he should have been. That doesn’t bode well when we’re looking for a new broom.

On the other hand, we are looking at a top-to-bottom reorganisation of the Club's management, coaching and scouting structures so I have to be hopeful that a new approach will show improvements - not least to tactics and attitude - when compared to the last few years. However on the single issue of Arteta's appointment, I'm afraid I'm distinctly underwhelmed. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Post #486934  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:07 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Speaking of other forumites that seem to have vanished I wonder what happened to Harlow Steve / Northbank. One of Wengers staunchest supporters for a while there until even he realised that Wenger was talking bollox.

He last visited 3 weeks ago.

Post #486935  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:10 pm 

Here are our top 25 posters.

Attachment:

Post #486936  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:34 pm 

I'm also underwhelmed by the prospect of Arteta becoming boss of Arsenal. While I applaud the clubs bold attempt to renovate the entire management structure, it does seem a bit weird to then hand the top job in this brand new system to someone with ZERO managerial experience. If it works the choice will be hailed as a stroke of genius, but conversely if it fails then it will look like rank stupidity. I can't really get my head around it.

Post #486937  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:36 pm 

warrior wrote:

Attachment:
Top Posters.jpg

19th, it's hard to go back to eating sausages when you have been eating caviar.

American wins the all you can at buffet award for volume and not quality.

Post #486938  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:39 pm 

I should add that pretty much whoever is chosen to be the new manager it's still an exciting event and I wish them well. I hear Pochettino may be open to a move. Now that would be funny.

Post #486939  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:42 pm 

I've posted 2394 times. That's like being mid table in the rymans amateur league.

Post #486940  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:43 pm 

Bored wrote:
I'm also underwhelmed by the prospect of Arteta becoming boss of Arsenal. While I applaud the clubs bold attempt to renovate the entire management structure, it does seem a bit weird to then hand the top job in this brand new system to someone with ZERO managerial experience. If it works the choice will be hailed as a stroke of genius, but conversely if it fails then it will look like rank stupidity. I can't really get my head around it.

What I don't get is if your going for a younger bolder choice why choose him and not Vieira or even Henry. Both those guys have more experience than Arteta in this area but critically would absolutely galvanise our fans and support due to the legendary status as players. Arteta won't for the reasons mentioned and seems to be appointed by Gazidis based on their own personal relationship and that he demonstrated some leadership qualities at a moment in time when we were absolutely failing on the pitch. The gooner ran a poll on who should be manager and Arteta was 5th fans favourite. It's not a popular decision.

Post #486941  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:43 pm 

warrior wrote:

Attachment:
Top Posters.jpg

I can't believe I've made all those posts in an attempt to educate the masses and quite clearly I've clearly failed miserably. :laughing7:

Post #486942  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:44 pm 

Bored wrote:
I've posted 2394 times. That's like being mid table in the rymans amateur league.

How many of them were sideways or backwards post though?

Post #486943  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bored wrote:

What I don't get is if your going for a younger bolder choice why choose him and not Vieira or even Henry. Both those guys have more experience than Arteta in this area but critically would absolutely galvanise our fans and support due to the legendary status as players. Arteta won't for the reasons mentioned and seems to be appointed by Gazidis based on their own personal relationship and that he demonstrated some leadership qualities at a moment in time when we were absolutely failing on the pitch. The gooner ran a poll on who should be manager and Arteta was 5th fans favourite. It's not a popular decision.

Vieira and Henry would also have greater pulling power in attracting the best players.

Post #486944  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:56 pm 

socrates wrote:
I can't believe I've made all those posts in an attempt to educate the masses and quite clearly I've clearly failed miserably. :laughing7:

Post #486945  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:59 pm 

warrior wrote:

Attachment:
Top Posters.jpg

This is also in order good looks, charm and football knowledge, right?

Post #486946  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:07 pm 

Americans 2.6 million posts are even more remarkable given he's blocked so many people so they aren't responses. Essentially black cryptic dialgoue sent off into space for aliens and GCHQ to analyse for signs of life or threat

Post #486947  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:07 pm 

Another couple of points:

Arteta’s credibility and his authority as a manager isn’t helped by the fact that he never played for his country. In a dressing-room full of internationals, that hardly empowers him.

Also, in a long playing career, he never won much either – an Inter-Toto with PSG, an FA Cup with us and a couple of baubels in Scotland. It’s a lot more than I’ve ever won, but hardly the most impressive trophy cabinet in the circles he now moves in.

Post #486948  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:07 pm 

Given the extreme choice of Wenger for another season and Arteta its not even a choice. Like many other Gooners I'm scratching my head about Arteta possibly being among the top choices.

That being said, Gazidis is a football man. Former commissioner of MLS, played the sport in university in England. I'd be surprised if he wasn't pushing for Wenger to be sacked internally. I have to assume he is going to want to prove Kroenke he was right about letting Wenger go and if he thinks Arteta is able to take over the reigns I will trust his instincts and inside knowledge.

Being Pep's assistant is an envied job. Pep had a choice of some of the best football men and he chose Arteta and not only that is on record saying how valuable he is.

I think we simply don't know about Arteta's attributes and are acting solely on the little that is publicly known. Gazidis knows he must get this right. Arteta also has seen both Pep and Wenger's styles and philosophies and would know what works and what doesn't of either.

If he is chosen its a bold choice. Just like how Wenger was a bold choice. I am not as worried about Arteta as when I first saw his name being banded about as a serious contender for the job.

Post #486949  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:14 pm 

It's obvious Santa Monica, California are gooners. Cannon obviously pointing to Tottenham from across the pond. :icon_mrgreen:

Attachments:

Post #486950  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:20 pm 

Seems Mustafi doesn't make the German squad.

Who would've guessed?

Post #486951  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:21 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Given the extreme choice of Wenger for another season and Arteta its not even a choice. Like many other Gooners I'm scratching my head about Arteta possibly being among the top choices.

That being said, Gazidis is a football man. Former commissioner of MLS, played the sport in university in England. I'd be surprised if he wasn't pushing for Wenger to be sacked internally. I have to assume he is going to want to prove Kroenke he was right about letting Wenger go and if he thinks Arteta is able to take over the reigns I will trust his instincts and inside knowledge.

Being Pep's assistant is an envied job. Pep had a choice of some of the best football men and he chose Arteta and not only that is on record saying how valuable he is.

I think we simply don't know about Arteta's attributes and are acting solely on the little that is publicly known. Gazidis knows he must get this right. Arteta also has seen both Pep and Wenger's styles and philosophies and would know what works and what doesn't of either.

If he is chosen its a bold choice. Just like how Wenger was a bold choice. I am not as worried about Arteta as when I first saw his name being banded about as a serious contender for the job.

It's not a bold choice, they will paint it as that but it just isn't. Its so easy for them to make it. It's a cheap one.

Post #486952  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:30 pm 

Last game at the Fox and Hounds, in Studio City area of Los Angeles (its near Universal studios in case anyone visits). Its primarily an Arsenal bar as the owner, name escapes me, is a gooner and former pro player I believe. They show all the matches and all are welcome but the main area (pic) is for Arsenal matches.

Arsenal have a very active local supporters club. I think they call themselves Arsenal Los Angeles, subsidiary of Arsenal America. Gave out free stuff to gooners and took a group pic (which I declined to be in because I didn't feel I deserved to be since I'm just visiting but no problem taking the free goodies though. 'Free' being my second favorite 4 letter F word).

Attachments:

Post #486953  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm 

DHD wrote:
Seems Mustafi doesn't make the German squad.

Who would've guessed?

Time to rent a plane to fly a banner of the national stadium in support of him.

Post #486954  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
It's not a bold choice, they will paint it as that but it just isn't. Its so easy for them to make it. It's a cheap one.

It's not an easy choice at all. Easy would be any of the rumoured managers with a wealth of experience. It's a strange choice, and possibly a stupid one, but certainly not easy. There are half a dozen managers they could push for that basically no Arsenal supporter would complain about.

Post #486955  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:46 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It's not an easy choice at all. Easy would be any of the rumoured managers with a wealth of experience. It's a strange choice, and possibly a stupid one, but certainly not easy. There are half a dozen managers they could push for that basically no Arsenal supporter would complain about.

It’s a piss easy choice. They know him, have already employed him and don’t have to go out of their way convincing a better candidate to come.

It’s easy, look what Chelsea are doing with Poch that’s far from easy but they think he’s the best candidate for their job

Post #486956  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s a piss easy choice. They know him, have already employed him and don’t have to go out of their way convincing a better candidate to come.

And they're facing a ton of backlash from the entire football world if it doesn't pan out. If they hired Ancelotti pretty much everyone would agree it was a logical choice and even if it didn't work out nobody would say it was crazy to give him a chance. With Arteta you even have Arsenal fans who have been banging the 'anyone but Wenger' drum for the past few years questioning the decision already.

Post #486957  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:13 pm 

Good points DHD - Never thought he was much of a player...a bit of a liability in all honesty...

Post #486958  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:21 pm 

Tuchel appointed PSG's manager? Unai Emery is available - the man to win us the Europa League.

Post #486959  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:33 pm 

Arteta would certainly be a very brave choice considering the stakes are high and yet experience is zero. I wonder what is it about him that has made him such a strong candidate with the board? They must have seen something very compelling in him when he was at Arsenal. It must be more than he's an easy going, relatively cheap punt. Had to watch the spelling in that last sentence.

Post #486960  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:40 pm 

He was headhunted by Guardiola, but I thought that was just because of his Spanish and premier league experience to help Pep adjust well. If he had some aptitude and he’s spent two years in that winning set up he will certainly being something. But really it’s a complete unknown and I agree that it’s such a strange choice. Under Pep, Arteta made a lot of sense as a number two, but to have no “number one” experience in this set up - which is fledgling at best - it seems a bizarre choice and, as much as we can’t know how anything will turn out, the wrong one.

[ 572019 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12171, 12172, 12173, 12174, 12175, 12176, 12177 ... 14301  Next