Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, Decaf, Rich and 276 guests

Post #472241  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:56 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Charlie Watt reporting Luiz had surgery on his knee but no news on Tierney which I find strange.

83 games missed: Is Kieran Tierney injury prone?

https://dailycannon.com/2021/04/83-game ... ury-prone/

Post #472242  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:08 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Interesting, and somewhat alarming, take on it from Gary Neville.

http://www.skysports.com/share/12266824

There was a moment in the game where Arteta could clearly be heard to tell Aubameyang to press, and I have to say the response was half hearted at best.

1. Arteta should not have to be making such instructions to a seasoned pro
2. Aubameyang's lack of effort backs up Neville's comments.

Top goalscorer or not, Aubameyang needs to either start to show he's the captain and put a proper shift in, or feck off somewhere else. As for Pépé, rare moments of one trick pony good stuff aside, he's no better than an expensive Glen Helder. In fact, I'd rate Helder above him.

Post #472243  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:08 am 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Charlie Watt reporting Luiz had surgery on his knee but no news on Tierney which I find strange.

If Tierney is out for a good while I think that puts a massive dent in any EL hopes. I think he's probably our most influential player who sets the tone by his attitude, his desire and his quality in the final third.

Post #472244  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:09 am 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Hard to disagree with though.
I think that we have certain players who ride or fall dependant on those around them. Take Pépé for instance, rarely grabs a game by the scruff of the neck or is the one leading the charge or the one in a bad game who you say ‘well at least he was good’.... but the games he has been better in he’s almost forced to step up to the energy, tempo and high press of others around him. Put him in a forward line that isn’t prepared to work and he’ll happily slot in with that lack of effort as well.

Spot on Rich.

Pépé's had long enough to 'adjust'; time to repay the transfer fee or again, feck off.

Post #472245  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:10 am 

socrates wrote:
warrior wrote:

If Tierney is out for a good while I think that puts a massive dent in any EL hopes. I think he's probably our most influential player who sets the tone by his attitude, his desire and his quality in the final third.

He should be the captain. You could see him being vocal enough (which you never seem to see from Aubameyang) and when necessary, grabbing others by the throat a la Adams and 'advising' them their efforts are nowhere near good enough.

Post #472246  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 am 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

There was a moment in the game where Arteta could clearly be heard to tell Aubameyang to press, and I have to say the response was half hearted at best.

Top goalscorer or not, Aubameyang needs to either start to show he's the captain and put a proper shift in, or feck off somewhere else. As for Pépé, rare moments of one trick pony good stuff aside, he's no better than an expensive Glen Helder. In fact, I'd rate Helder above him.

Helder was a headless chicken mate, Pépé can have games where he looks decent can score and put in good crosses.

I agree he’s hit and miss but let’s not be daft here and go overboard.

Post #472247  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:59 am 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Are you trying to stir the pot. I will wait and see but it is starting to look like it. Not that you are allowed to say that on this forum. This could give us significant problems for the rest of the season.

Post #472248  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:01 am 

john1 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Hard to disagree with though.
I think that we have certain players who ride or fall dependant on those around them. Take Pépé for instance, rarely grabs a game by the scruff of the neck or is the one leading the charge or the one in a bad game who you say ‘well at least he was good’.... but the games he has been better in he’s almost forced to step up to the energy, tempo and high press of others around him. Put him in a forward line that isn’t prepared to work and he’ll happily slot in with that lack of effort as well.

Spot on Rich.

Pépé's had long enough to 'adjust'; time to repay the transfer fee or again, feck off.

I think we probably still owe about 36 mil for him.

Post #472249  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:13 am 

A bad result againest one of the best teams in Europe and Arsenal fans start saying stuff like this..

Lee Chapman was a far better striker than Aubameyang ever was !!! At least he mucked in and he was banging Leslie Ash. How can you trust Aubameyang if he can’t even nail a sitcom actress! Disgrace !

Post #472250  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:15 am 

I used to think Gary Neville was managerial material. Now I've reassessed. I wouldn't mind him on the coaching staff, even Assistant Manager and having no designs on being manager (ala Pat Rice).

He can be astute. OGS should have looked at bringing him in if he hasn't. Advisory role.

Tierney exudes what I liked about British players when I first got into football as a fan. Uncompromising. Can be relied on to put a shift in, whether its Charlton or Chelsea. (no offense to Charlton :12hello-bye: ). Doesn't appear to be the type yucking it up a bit too much in training.
He had one bad injury so the stat a little skewed. I'm going to chalk it up to having to step up to a league that was a lot more physical and the pace faster than it was in the SPL.

He should be used to it. I'm hoping he's smart enough to adjust his style of play a wee bit to avoid certain types of contact with the opposition that may get him injured but not a 'necessary' tackle, etc.

With regards to Europa Cup chances, on paper we are good for at least a final I would think. But I have to assume we've been rated fairly decently by odds makers over the last few years, no? So, is this new? I know one thing. My nerves won't take a one off European cup final against Man Utd if it comes to that.

Post #472251  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:06 am 

I saw a take elsewhere that said when we were rubbish earlier in the season we played 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 with 1 attacking mid and 3 forwards - it was awful, when we got better the formation didn't change but we played 3 attacking mids and 1 forward. Arteta has to get that balance irrespective of the 'name'.
Right now the best front 6 is
Partey, Xhaka, Saka, Ødegaard, Smith-Rowe, Lacazette OR Aubameyang

Post #472252  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:08 am 

There is an article in The Atheltic (I can;t read it all I can only see the snippets and headlines) but the writer looked at all of the instructions Arteta was shouting during the Liverpool game and how exasperated he was getting that his team wasn't doing what he wanted. It included Aubameyang tracking Trent, Ceballos failing to track Thiago's positions and Pépé to 'move'!

Post #472253  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:08 am 

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Aubameyang is our new Özil. His attitude is poor.

Post #472254  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
A bad result againest one of the best teams in Europe and Arsenal fans start saying stuff like this..

Lee Chapman was a far better striker than Aubameyang ever was !!! At least he mucked in and he was banging Leslie Ash. How can you trust Aubameyang if he can’t even nail a sitcom actress! Disgrace !

One of the best teams in Europe that have just lost 6 home games on the bounce. Who not only completely dominated us, but outmatched our effort, commitment and team ethic by a significant margin. We’re lucky it was only 3-0.

Nobody has said that about Chapman/Aubameyang.

There’s a massive disparity between Aubameyang’s talent and his current attitude and lack of application to the team he plays for, and captains.

And my comments about Helder were slightly, but only slightly, tongue in cheek, but Pépé can do one. He’s simply not good enough for us, his attitude and commitment just aren’t at the required level.

Post #472255  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:40 am 

https://thisisfutbol.com/2021/04/blogs/ ... -a-chance/

Drop Aubameyang and let Martinelli do his bit

Post #472256  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:24 am 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

One of the best teams in Europe that have just lost 6 home games on the bounce. Who not only completely dominated us, but outmatched our effort, commitment and team ethic by a significant margin. We’re lucky it was only 3-0.

There’s a massive disparity between Aubameyang’s talent and his current attitude and lack of application to the team he plays for, and captains.

And my comments about Helder were slightly, but only slightly, tongue in cheek, but Pépé can do one. He’s simply not good enough for us, his attitude and commitment just aren’t at the required level.

Comparing Pépé to Helder is plain daft.

I agree with Rich, when we play badly Pépé follows suit he’s not the type to lead if we are struggling. That said I think he still probably gets in our best 11 and we looked most balanced this year when he appeared on the left. He’s provided the same amount of goals as Saka in the premier league and provided one less assist yet he’s public enemy number 1 and Saka is the golden child. I’m not saying he’s the saviour but it’s worth keeping balance and some perspective as since Saturdays bad performance I’ve seen some of the most ridiculous *%^@ ever written about Arsenal and people seem to have forgotten we were conceding 8,6, 5 goals and getting battered senseless EVERY time we played a side like Liverpool not that long ago.

Post #472257  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:40 am 

Interesting how Bellerin has been frozen out of the last 5 league games.

Post #472258  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

I agree with Rich, when we play badly Pépé follows suit he’s not the type to lead if we are struggling. That said I think he still probably gets in our best 11 and we looked most balanced this year when he appeared on the left. He’s provided the same amount of goals as Saka in the premier league and provided one less assist yet he’s public enemy number 1 and Saka is the golden child. I’m not saying he’s the saviour but it’s worth keeping balance and some perspective as since Saturdays bad performance I’ve seen some of the most ridiculous *%^@ ever written about Arsenal and people seem to have forgotten we were conceding 8,6, 5 goals and getting battered senseless EVERY time we played a side like Liverpool not that long ago.

Pépé is not fit to lace Saka's boots.

Post #472259  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:23 pm 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

One of the best teams in Europe that have just lost 6 home games on the bounce. Who not only completely dominated us, but outmatched our effort, commitment and team ethic by a significant margin. We’re lucky it was only 3-0

Spot on John1. If we lose, we lose, but that shitshow was a disgrace to the shirt.

Post #472260  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:55 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Attitude wise I’d agree,

Same amount of goals in the league though? Actual output it’s similar. If Saka had been bought for 72 million our fans would be calling him a disgrace and that he’s Eddie Mcgoldricks twin.

There’s no balance we are only dealing with extremes now because it’s all a bit *%^@ right now. Partially understandable

Post #472261  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:01 pm 

I was interested by Gary Neville's comment when he said Arteta must be thinking 'it's me or them' after that Liverpool performance. As a young, inexperienced manager Arteta will no doubt have his ideas on how he wants the game and his teams to play, the problem with younger managers (at least those who aren't super arrogant which usually goes hand-in-hand with a certain lacking of ability) is they will naturally question themselves and perhaps not be as decisive in their actions. I think this can happen to inexperienced managers in any industry. I've certainly had this in my line of work, I used to get frustrated with myself after the event that I wasn't more stern or forthright with what I thought was the best or right way of doing something - perhaps trying to please too many people or not rock the boat too much. At the end of the day Arteta is the one who will face the most scrutiny so I do think Neville is right and Arteta needs to see those sorts of performances as 'me or them' and start jettisoning players from the team who are not willing to pull their weight or follow instructions.

We all think about the sorts of players we want Arsenal to sign, the more I've seen us over the years the more I put 'character and attitude' right at the top of any attribute, this should be the non negotiable and the background research must be done on each player. As a fan I can much more easily forgive a flaw in technique or ability if the attitude, motivation, effort are all right at the peak.

For too long we've been a team who need the exact right set of circumstances to be right on it for a match. We all know who the players are in the squad who fall on either side of this debate are. People talk about it being the manager's responsibility to motivate the team, to some degree I agree but there must be personal responsibility for each player - I really think it is something a player has or will never get, or will at least only show in flashes, but a player who can go out and give 100% every game irrespective of opposition, situation or competition is worth their weight in gold. I think I can count the number of players we have like that on one hand.

Post #472262  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
If Saka had been bought for 72 million our fans would be calling him a disgrace and that he’s Eddie Mcgoldricks twin.

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking TG.

Post #472263  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:29 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
If Saka had been bought for 72 million our fans would be calling him a disgrace and that he’s Eddie Mcgoldricks twin.

Presented with an opportunity to be analytical or hysterical.

Bromley chose hysteria.

Post #472264  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Attitude wise I’d agree,

Same amount of goals in the league though? Actual output it’s similar. If Saka had been bought for 72 million our fans would be calling him a disgrace and that he’s Eddie Mcgoldricks twin.

There’s no balance we are only dealing with extremes now because it’s all a bit *%^@ right now. Partially understandable

The output in goals and assists may be similar but for long periods this season Saka has carried us, at times he seemed to be the only player playing anywhere close to his ability in our terrible run. He's saved us and won us games on a number of occasions with his contribution.
Of course there will be subconcious bias because he's home grown.
I'm maybe less critical of Pépé than some, I would like to see him get a run in the team with the best and most energetic players around him and having the team set up to play to his strengths, which means getting him the ball 30 yards closer to the opposition goal and not hugging the touchline AND giving him some more ability from right-back to work with.....but Saka has excelled playing in the same right-wing position.
Saka is also 6 years younger!

Post #472265  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 pm 

Marinelli, Smith-Rowe, Saka, Tierney, Ødegaard, Partey, Gabriel, Leno build around them.

Post #472266  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Attitude wise I’d agree,

The output in goals and assists may be similar but for long periods this season Saka has carried us, at times he seemed to be the only player playing anywhere close to his ability in our terrible run. He's saved us and won us games on a number of occasions with his contribution.
I'm maybe less critical of Pépé than some, I would like to see him get a run in the team with the best and most energetic players around him and having the team set up to play to his strengths, which means getting him the ball 30 yards closer to the opposition goal and not hugging the touchline AND giving him some more ability from right-back to work with.....but Saka has excelled playing in the same right-wing position.

Agree With your comments here Rich, I’m not saying Pépé is a better player at all. Saka looks a baller but we are now dealing with extremes

Pépé is the next Gervinho !

Screw you !!!

Pépé is the next Marc Overmars !

Isn’t the truth somewhere in the Middle where’s he’s hit and miss and can sometimes have games where he’s really effective and others where he’s equally absent without leave.

Post #472267  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Agree With your comments here Rich, I’m not saying Pépé is a better player at all. Saka looks a baller but we are now dealing with extremes

Screw you !!!

Isn’t the truth somewhere in the Middle where’s he’s hit and miss and can sometimes have games where he’s really effective and others where he’s equally absent without leave.

He's far more Gervinho than Overmars that's for sure.

And even if your assertion that the truth is in the middle was correct (it's not imo), that just confirms he's not good enough or committed enough to play for the The Arsenal.

Post #472268  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:20 pm 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Screw you !!!

He's far more Gervinho than Overmars that's for sure.

And even if your assertion that the truth is in the middle was correct (it's not imo), that just confirms he's not good enough or committed enough to play for the The Arsenal.

You might be right you know. But he’s shown enough to suggest he has the technical ability to affect games.

I also have this image in my mind of Wilfred Zaha in an Arsenal shirt stuck on the halfway line taking receipt of pass after pass when he’s already marked rather than balls over the top to chase and thrive off

Post #472269  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:10 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
john1 wrote:

Spot on Rich.

A bit like negative equity in a house then.

Post #472270  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:21 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

A bit like negative equity in a house then.

.....and If you bought a house in Bradford or Hull

Post #472271  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:12 pm 

Heard a startling stat on the radio yesterday.
In the 4 seasons before this one we have failed to score at home in the league just once.
This season alone we have failed to score at home 7 times.
If true that’s shocking.

Post #472272  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:17 pm 

Thursday is absolutely crucial now.
Will we stand up and be counted?
Really need to take at least a 2 goal lead preferably 2/3 nil into the 2nd leg.
Slavia Prague are decent.
Will be tough.
No way we should be giving up in the league.
Have a half decent run in.
Can still get top 7 and Europa for next season as a minimum.

Post #472273  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:51 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Ødegaard isn’t even our player he’s on loan and you’d pick Emile Smith Rowe instead of Maddison an England international? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Getting away from the boring comparison ... You wonder where we would be if we got Ancelloti ? I don’t understand this at all. He’s spent a fortune we don’t have and he’s 8th currently.

Brendon Rogers finished 9th in his first season then 5th second for Leicester. You would have sacked him too for not getting more out of the players as you keep saying.

Your usual nonsense TG. 'You would have sacked him too' replying to my statement of 'I don't want him sacked'. Brilliant. If you're happy with 12 (I think, it's hard to keep up) league defeats with our squad of players then we'll have to agree to disagree.
As for Maddison being an England international, so is Maitland-Niles, and I'd pick Emile Smith Rowe ahead of him. I certainly don't think Maddison would 'walk into our side'. Arteta would be rotating him.
If you're happy with 10th place with this group of players then you set the bar far too low in my humble opinion.

Nope 12 league defeats, let alone being 10th in the table shouldn't be acceptable to anybody. A loss against Prague wouldn't/shouldn't be acceptable either Thursday.
Under the circumstances, Arteta really hasn't much choice but to pick a strong side for Thursday. Whether or not the motivation is there from the team will be from sheer cohesion, determination they aren't accepting of the club status.

Post #472274  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Bromley chose hysteria.

Well be fair TG, your Saka / McGoldrick comment was hysterical.

Post #472275  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I also have this image in my mind of Wilfred Zaha in an Arsenal shirt stuck on the halfway line taking receipt of pass after pass when he’s already marked rather than balls over the top to chase and thrive off

Arsenal surely have more creative players than Crystal Palace. So I’d suggest Zaha would have had more to “thrive off” with us than he does at Palace.

Post #472276  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:54 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Bromley chose hysteria.

Well be fair TG, your Saka / McGoldrick comment was hysterical.

Thank you sir :58big-emoticons:

Post #472277  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:55 pm 

Really not that impressive... :sad3:

https://www.90min.com/posts/mikel-artet ... ene-wenger

Post #472278  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Arsenal surely have more creative players than Crystal Palace. So I’d suggest Zaha would have had more to “thrive off” with us than he does at Palace.

I wasn’t talking about Crystal Palace

On Saturday in the rare occasions we had the ball we just passed sideways. Not sure this is the type of service wingers thrive off. Look at Fabinhos chipped ball to Salah to pursue surely that’s needed. I think in some scenarios it’s hard to judge players in a side that’s struggling.

Post #472279  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:05 pm 

Zed wrote:

3 different managers, 3 different coaching teams all with very similar results. We’re having really bad luck getting the right coaching team in place.

Post #472280  Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:10 pm 

Wide players need balls inbetween the lines like the one on 1.02 minutes. We’re missing a playmaker

(Sorry for the shocking music and video)

https://youtu.be/nF7qzDVGKS4

[ 517581 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11804, 11805, 11806, 11807, 11808, 11809, 11810 ... 12940  Next