Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mcquilkie and 301 guests

Post #471881  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:51 pm 

socrates wrote:

we need some short of short term fix as well if Wenger intends seeing out the rest of his contract.

... but a short term fix would prolong the agony , better to lose a few more and hasten Wenger's departure .

For me his idiot interviews , his perserverance with tippy tappy , a team reluctant to shoot , unable to organise a decent defence has completely over shadowed his Henry , Pires , Invincibles legacy and he'll be remembered as the bloke who was too stupid/ stubborn to retire when the writing was on the wall .

We desperately need a change of tactics not new players .

Post #471882  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:52 pm 

I’d take Aubameyang, but I know and have previously seen what has happened with arsenal before. Aubameyang for £50m and wenger indulges himself with a striker but refuses to buy anyone else meaning we have (on paper) a rolls Royce strike partnership worth £100m with a bag of old spanners either leaking goals left right and centre and not creating a thing.

We regularly concede at least 2 goals against any team. We know arsenal operate on a budget, we’ve thrown away the thick end of £100m by letting Sanchez and Özil run their contract down so I can’t imagine the board will release that much money. £50m may hoover it all up.

We’ve been in this position with 1/2 top class players and rubbish around them, it just annoys the class players and they stop trying because they are carrying the team.

We really need to rip it all up and start again, I’m not even sure there is a decent squad there for any new manager.

Post #471883  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yes you bloody did.

Thanks for making my point, boozy.

Post #471884  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:54 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

we need some short of short term fix as well if Wenger intends seeing out the rest of his contract.

`
Leaving Wenger out of it for a minute (please!!), we need new players desperately. We are bang average and need to improve the squad be that for Wenger or an Ancelotti.

Post #471885  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

... but a short term fix would prolong the agony , better to lose a few more and hasten Wenger's departure .

For me his idiot interviews , his perserverance with tippy tappy , a team reluctant to shoot , unable to organise a decent defence has completely over shadowed his Henry , Pires , Invincibles legacy and he'll be remembered as the bloke who was too stupid/ stubborn to retire when the writing was on the wall .

Spot on

Post #471886  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Yes you bloody did.

Thanks for making my point, boozy.

Say all you want you've properly mugged yourself off with that one :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #471887  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Say all you want you've properly mugged yourself off with that one :laughing7: :laughing7:

How about you show the post(s) you're referring to then.

Post #471888  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:02 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Check for yourself you wally. You wrote it!!! :1laughter:

Post #471889  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:02 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

I don't deny it's not ideal but I don't see Wenger being hounded out because every time we have a wobble we then win a couple and all the fuss dies down again. We'd have to self destruct completely to really put pressure on him.

Aubameyang is not one for the future or to build a team around, he's a bloody great big sticking plaster who might (and I hasten add might) stem the bleeding and get us going again until some proper repairs can be done.

Post #471890  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:04 pm 

Niall wrote:

It seems strange to me that some people would rather we didn't sign a striker of the quality of Aubameyang if we have the chance of landing him.

Because Niall I dont have confidence [ a ] Arsene would use him correctly [b] he'd get the quick service to maximise his strengths .

Look at Lacazette a quality player would probably have scored twenty something goals in a Spurs side .

I'd rather the money was saved and let a new manager decide what he needs .

Post #471891  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:05 pm 

socrates wrote:
I absolutely agree with this Haz, but we need some short of short term fix as well if Wenger intends seeing out the rest of his contract.

It'll also give Arsene eighteen months to 'Wengerise' him. He only needed six months with Lacazette. :laughing7:

Post #471892  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

No I didn't, and since you're the one claiming I did you're the one who should back it up. This is a post I've actually written about Xhaka:

Hazuki wrote:
This is my opinion as well, but even though I think our setup is the biggest part of the problem there are clearly problems with his game that he needs to work on. For the first goal we conceded against Liverpool he tracked Coutinho for his entire run forward, but then suddenly stopped for the last five yards or so, giving Coutinho a free header. Infuriating.

He also has a habit of going in for 50/50 challenges when the opponents are counter-attacking, which is incredibly dangerous if he misses them. A couple of those have lead to us conceding this season, and while I wouldn’t say those goals are entirely on him, his actions put us in a bad position. I do believe these problems could be worked on with a proper defensive coach though. His physical tools could make him a great midfielder, even with his lack of pace.

In that same debate Bernard was asking you about the number of goals you think Xhaka has cost us, and later you claimed Bernard considered Xhaka a 'midfield maestro'. Another fabrication.

So, any actual argument for why you're not a *%^@?

Post #471893  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
I absolutely agree with this Haz, but we need some short of short term fix as well if Wenger intends seeing out the rest of his contract.

It'll also give Arsene eighteen months to 'Wengerise' him. He only needed six months with Lacazzette. :laughing7:

It is quite funny, Lacazette has gone from one of europe's supposed most lethal finishers to a quivering wreck who couldn't bit barn door from two yards. :laughing7:

Post #471894  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:09 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No I didn't, and since you're the one claiming I did you're the one who should back it up. This is a post I've actually written about Xhaka:

Hazuki wrote:
This is my opinion as well, but even though I think our setup is the biggest part of the problem there are clearly problems with his game that he needs to work on. For the first goal we conceded against Liverpool he tracked Coutinho for his entire run forward, but then suddenly stopped for the last five yards or so, giving Coutinho a free header. Infuriating.

He also has a habit of going in for 50/50 challenges when the opponents are counter-attacking, which is incredibly dangerous if he misses them. A couple of those have lead to us conceding this season, and while I wouldn’t say those goals are entirely on him, his actions put us in a bad position. I do believe these problems could be worked on with a proper defensive coach though. His physical tools could make him a great midfielder, even with his lack of pace.

In that same debate Bernard was asking you about the number of goals you think Xhaka has cost us, and later you claimed Bernard considered Xhaka a 'midfield maestro'. Another fabrication.

So, any actual argument for why you're not a *%^@?

:laughing7:

Never said any of that. You were the one saying Xhaka hadn't been costing us goals and kept asking me to give examples :1laughter:

You also referred to him as and I quote "a great midfielder" then argued till the *%^@*** cows came home.

What a mug :laughing7: :15laughter: :15laughter:

Post #471895  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:17 pm 

What are the best twitter accounts for ITK transfer rumours? I could do with a laugh.

Post #471896  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:18 pm 

socrates wrote:
What are the best twitter accounts for ITK transfer rumours? I could do with a laugh.

AFC Camden is the best and most reliable

Post #471897  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Never said any of that.

Really?

TOP GUN wrote:
He improves the team compared to the alternative of playing Coquelin or El Nenny who are both hopeless but he isn't of the required level. I don't necessarily devote a ton of time voicing my frustration but found it quite startling people using pass completed statistics to suggest hes some kind of midfield maestro when he's been a complete liability since he's been with the club. It was like the NRA or trump using certain irrelevant statistics to advocate gun ownership in the US.

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Who did this?

Bubblechrist and Bernard

It's all on this page, and if you go back one page you'll see what I actually said about Xhaka. You'll also see who actually was asking you what goals you thought Xhaka had cost us (whish is a pretty reasonable question to ask if one assumes you're having a debate with someone who hasn't got the wit and intellectual honesty of a loaf of bread).

Post #471898  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Never said any of that.

Really?

TOP GUN wrote:
He improves the team compared to the alternative of playing Coquelin or El Nenny who are both hopeless but he isn't of the required level. I don't necessarily devote a ton of time voicing my frustration but found it quite startling people using pass completed statistics to suggest hes some kind of midfield maestro when he's been a complete liability since he's been with the club. It was like the NRA or trump using certain irrelevant statistics to advocate gun ownership in the US.

TOP GUN wrote:
Bubblechrist and Bernard

It's all on this page, and if you go back one page you'll see what I actually said about Xhaka. You'll also see who actually was asking you what goals you thought Xhaka had cost us (whish is a pretty reasonable question to ask if one assumes you're having a debate with someone who hasn't got the wit and intellectual honesty of a loaf of bread).

Haha what a Wally :1laughter:

Post #471899  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Haha what a Wally :1laughter:

Great point, well made. *%^@.

Post #471900  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:31 pm 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Spot on

Thanks John ...and I'm sure Soc [ his thought processes being that little bit slower :icon_mrgreen1: ] will eventually think similar .

Watching the highlights of both today's games .... emphasises our dilemma

Oxlade bursts through on goal takes a shot ....... scores

Iwobi does exactly the same ; almost identical position [ maybe a little closer ] ....... AN ...AND ..... passes ..... to no - one

:blob8: :20hospitals:

Post #471901  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:47 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

It'll also give Arsene eighteen months to 'Wengerise' him. He only needed six months with Lacazette. :laughing7:

Less for Iwobi ... upgraded from the youth team , a star for the future , looked sharp , promising . Jay Jay Okocha's nephew etc etc awarded a pay rise .......... then got the full brain wash in first team ways

Post #471902  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:17 pm 

To me this would be such an easy fix ...... set up ten 44 gallon oil drums painted different colours ... all defenders and midfielders with balls at feet ...shout Callum red barrel , Rob blue barrel ... the embarrasment of not being to land a ball somewhere near a staionary target would mean their delivery must improve .

DO NOT except under dire circumstances take that pussy soft cock option of passing back to the goalie .

Next do the same thing with moving players alone , then players covered by a defender ..... delivery speeded and improved .

Then toss balls to players ... fire at an empy net .

Ooops cue for further embarrassment , leaning back technique can't hit an empty net ...... but things would improve , adjustments made .. next stick in the keeper do the same thing .

Spend a week doing that , new confidence in passing and shooting ability we'd have a different team the following Saturday ....... genius

Post #471903  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:51 pm 

See a photo on twitter earlier supposedly of PEA at Colney,since removed.
If Alec goes to Man u and there is a player exchange in the deal I would go for Smalling, not Marshall as I don't think he would come anyway, as we really need a defender, as Per is done, Kos is always injured, this is really where were struggling.
Real excited at the thought of PEA and Malcolm playing, got to be better than Welbeck and Iwobi! Oh and Wally Walcott.

Post #471904  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:56 pm 

This is a recurring Cazorla problem. We have Özil and nobody else is able to do the job. Don't know what I'm being accused of saying about Xhaka other than he's not a DM and his distribution is no better than anybody elses.

Whoever you have up front if there's noone to feed them then it's wasted money. We need neither of Welbeck or Iwobi we need a Mahrez or someone that can cross a ball.

We need to replace Özil or pay him enough to stay. No point in having forwards /strikers otherwise.

Post #471905  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:11 pm 

We are not far away from having a good team.........all we need is a new defence, oh and a keeper, and two central midfielders wouldn't hurt, plus a couple of widemen and a couple of strikers. Apart from that we are pretty well set.

Post #471906  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

Spot on

Thanks John ...and I'm sure Soc [ his thought processes being that little bit slower :icon_mrgreen1: ] will eventually think similar .

Says the guy who was outwitted by a mouse :laughing7:

Post #471907  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:51 pm 

Just replayed the game. Not a very creative team performance. Still an improvement on last season. We only conceded 2. We are getting better.

Post #471908  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:05 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Does anyone know of any Arsenal fans who think should be in charge next season? Not heard anyone say it in months...

Hoy this is a call to arms for you.

Post #471909  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:15 pm 

If we think the English refs are bad look at what they have to put up with in France. Ref is running to keep up with play, cuts across a defender also running back and trips up, then aims a kick at the defender and sends him off for a second yellow card. It was in the PSG v Nantes game

Post #471910  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:35 pm 

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... Aubameyang

Article suggests Aubameyang will only move to Arsenal if Sanchez leaves to Utd or City; and City don't come in for him should they miss out on Sanchez.

Post #471911  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:37 pm 

Hi all

Just a quick visit,

Re: today, nothing really to add that hasn’t been said a thousand times over , other than it’s ever decreasing circles , just a magnification of issues some of us saw 8 years ago . Still we all have/had our own process to go through , hope the club can survive as a serious force in the future

Anyway for those that want to ( this time around) protests are back on for the Everton game 3/2, see attachments.

I unfortunately can’t make it , at the Amex for Brighton vs West Ham

Hopefully we can start getting our club back before it is too late

Attachments:

Post #471912  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:40 pm 

I’ll add I would of gone but I booked the Brighton tickets way back, everyone knows my current stance

Post #471913  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
david.d wrote:
Firminio , Mané and Salah all magnificent signings.
Where the fck were we?????
Whats happened to our scouting.

Lets hope Sven can find some similar players.

Id take Klopp every day of the week over our hapless has been.

£30-35m for each of the 3.
Cheap as chips in today’s market and all covered by coutinho’s fee with £50m change

What is particularly frustrating is that you could tell all 3 were players 5 years ago when they would have cost £35m between them. Mané shone for Senegal in the Olympics, Salah was Basel's best player by a distance, and half of Europe knew about Firminio. Quite apart from that, I genuinely think your average football manager geek could find better value in the market than a lot of managers, latter day Wenger included. The amount of players lots of people have known about from seeing on the game and then watching in real life puts many club scouting departments to shame. At least Mislintat's record as a scout suggests that he can find players before several million computer game players can, unlike Mourinho, current Wenger & Pep to mention just 3.

Post #471914  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:45 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
£53m on a 28 year old. Good player but that is a shed load of money for zero return.

We need to realise where we are. We are in the Liverpool and spurs tier of transfers. Except we don’t think we are. The model should be the same as those two, and Dortmund and athletico. Buy young and exciting players, improve them and then crucially you will need to sell them for absolute top price when those top level teams come in with silly bids. Look at the money generated by Liverpool and spurs with recent transfers out - let alone thinking what price assets they have in their squad for when the big clubs come again.

Agree completely with this. Malcom, Lemar, Goretzka, Keita, Bakayoko and Draxler are the type of player we should be going for, not Aubameyang (who I suspect may fall of the proverbial cliff in the near future) and Mkhitaryan.

Get young, talented players in who are hungry to make a name for themselves, and a manager who has an idea of what to do with them. Look at the way Liverpool are playing now after a couple of seasons with Klopp and the team he has built. This was their squad the season before Klopp arrived - mediocre pretty much all the way through, with a couple of bright spots. Fast forward to now and they're one of the most exciting teams to watch in Europe. And who knows, if Van Dijk is the player he's hyped up to be and Keita is successful they might be ready to properly challenge next season.

I agree re our principle focus, but if Mkhitaryan is going cheap enough, say £20m, I'd go for that in a heatbeat. Much better suited to us than Utd, despite his scummy agent pushing him there.

Post #471915  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:51 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ignore him. When it comes to this team, there is no rationality left or indeed honesty of debate.

Post #471916  Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
If we think the English refs are bad look at what they have to put up with in France. Ref is running to keep up with play, cuts across a defender also running back and trips up, then aims a kick at the defender and sends him off for a second yellow card. It was in the PSG v Nantes game

French refs are often insane egomaniac incompetents with little pretence of impartiality, fairness or serving the game. They are (apart from one or two good ones) by some distance the worst of Europe's top leagues. So many decisions which have nothing to do with split second judgement that are genuinely shocking, and they act like aristocrats lording it over peasants. My largest problems with British refs as a whole is that most appear to have no playing experience at all in their judgement and are often more concerned with managing the game than applying the laws equally. French refs appear to often despise the game and those that play it - they are so often like the piss-take stereotype of the nightmare Parisian waiter who seeks to belittle and insult those who he should be giving service to.

Post #471917  Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 am 

Kroenke wants Wenger to stay so he stays. And yes, I will repeat for the 100th time. The 'Wenger out' and the 'board' this and that is a fruitless exercise. It doesn't matter. Gazidis cares I believe. He has a football background. Kroenke? Doesn't care one iota. Would he like to win? Sure, who doesn't. But he doesn't to win bad enough to do what it takes. Arsenal are a financial asset. That's it.That's what we are. We are the same as prime real estate or hundreds of thousands of shares Amazon stock on the NYSE. That's it. Accept it and get used to it. The ONLY thing for the future that may change it is what his son thinks. He is the one that will take over. Till then, the health checkup of Stan is my biggest interest.

I wonder how many of you who said no to Usmanov no matter what, would reverse that now if they could go back in time? Would you still accept Kroenke knowing what the future would be or would you go with Usmanov and the unknown? I know which one I would take gladly.

With regards to this 3 game ban of Wenger. He's a control freak so I assume he didn't allow Bould to have his own tactics. Technically, we can't blame Wenger since he wasn't on the touchline but in reality we know all the decisions from the starting XI, subs, tactics (if we had any) were his.

I ended the night happy. City lost. I'm never happy about Arsenal losing but I went to bed with a smile on my face. I really thought they would go the season not only unbeaten but in style. I still think they will win all the domestic trophies and its a matter of when not if they win the CL.

Post #471918  Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:12 am 

So the City run is over, that's a relief. A new run is on though, for Arsenal losing out on ECL. Wenger out !

Post #471919  Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:59 am 

socrates wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Says the guy who was outwitted by a mouse :laughing7:

where are you coming from I dealt to that mouse big time .... and the word's out ... non of his cousins have been back .

Post #471920  Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:19 am 

Mystifying ..... Arsene doesn't know where their goals came from :icon_scratch: .
Two Bournemouth players would be my guess .

Half the transfer window has gone with us as usual sitting on our hands .

Any additions now are going to smack of a panic attack because of the sh***t results at Forest and Bournemouth

[ 562427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11795, 11796, 11797, 11798, 11799, 11800, 11801 ... 14061  Next