Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 281 guests

Post #490441  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:46 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Isnt Sokratis on the choping block? Ive read from a few articles he will be sold or released or whatever.

I haven't read even a single rumour that Sokratis is likely to leave. It would seem highly unlikely. Am I missing something?

He’s 1 year into a long term contract. He’s going nowhere

AG talking nonsense

Post #490442  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:58 am 

Bored wrote:
I just read that Rafael Benitez is going to leave Newcastle. Would you prefer him or Emery as manager?
Yes.

Post #490443  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:08 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Isnt Sokratis on the choping block? Ive read from a few articles he will be sold or released or whatever.

I haven't read even a single rumour that Sokratis is likely to leave. It would seem highly unlikely. Am I missing something?

Yes, an extremely vivid imagination, and a big dollop of paranoia.

Post #490444  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 am 

Benitez is a good guy. I saw Sky Sports recently and they cut to a scene of fans protesting the owner. Sounds eerily familiar.

Post #490445  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:51 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
I hear noises that Xhaka could be made captain and if that's true my already wavering belief in Emery will waver even further.

WTF?!

Leno is 27, mature age, a starter, give the armband to him.

You are American after all ...... so can be excused for not getting things quite right .... you see Leno is actually our goalkeeper .

That's the guy right at the back who stands in between the goalposts with the gloves and different colour jersey .

It's kind of hard to orchestrate things and make yourself heard from that far back .

A bit more research will show all the best captains Roy Keane , Alan Ball , Tony Adams , Billy Bonds , Billy Bremner , Graeme Souness , Dave Mackay , Bobby Moore , Frank McLintock

played either central midfield or central defence ............ hope this helps .

Post #490446  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:29 am 

kiwipete wrote:
You are American after all ...... so can be excused for not getting things quite right ....
Here's one American who got it right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQi48T4YWh4

Post #490447  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:59 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
You are American after all ...... so can be excused for not getting things quite right ....

No , no , no .... Old Man .... a shining example of your eclectic tastes but to plinky plunky for me . Never liked jazz .. Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" and Acker Bilk's " Stranger on the shore " are passably acceptable .

Apart from Mark Knofler and Hank Marvin I like guitarists who eat plenty of red blooded raw meat

Link Wray , Duane Eddy , The Ventures , The Ramrods , Jet Harris , Bill Dogget ..... ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pKGw47QkMg

The Aussies making things a bit difficult for you guys in the cricket .

Post #490448  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:00 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:

Wes Montgomery? How did I miss this guy? Never heard of him but love this clip. Thanks. I went to uni in the American south and learned a lot of blues and jazz (I wasn't too interested in country music). I thought I was aware of most of the good artists.

Post #490449  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:32 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
No , no , no .... Old Man .... a shining example of your eclectic tastes but to plinky plunky for me . Never liked jazz .. Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" and Acker Bilk's " Stranger on the shore " are passably acceptable

I went to school with Acker Bilk’s son. His name was Peter. From what I remember he was a quiet lad but a nice enough bloke.

Post #490450  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:17 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

That's wonderful. Thanks for that Old Man

Post #490451  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:32 pm 

Then there's this guy. Earl "Snake Hips" Tucker. A bit old school for some, 1930's.
The slide, break dance, shimmy all in one here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4ww-MmAY4

Post #490452  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:26 pm 

Wow, Zed. Great video. I'm also impressed. Seems like a movie and its a bit 'suggestive' and surprised for the times. Elvis wasn't even allowed to be filmed from the waist down and that was much later.

Post #490453  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:15 pm 

Saw online, Mourinho rumored to consider the Newcastle job. This seems to indicate what some managers of top clubs go....to second tier clubs as they are now tainted. Ranieri is one. Wenger is trying to avoid that and its not going well on available jobs for him.
Mourinho at the Toon? How low the mighty have fallen.

Post #490454  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 pm 

Every morning I get on and see how many players we have signed overnight. Oh well let’s talk the cricket World Cup if there is nothing else to chat about. Any takers?

Post #490455  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Every morning I get on and see how many players we have signed overnight. Oh well let’s talk the cricket World Cup if there is nothing else to chat about. Any takers?

Me too but then the whole market seems to be really quiet with minimal confirmed transfers. I expect it will pick up in mid July once everyone has their ducks lined up.

Post #490456  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:47 am 

Spurs close to £65m signing of Ndombele from Lyon. Big prices will get fans excited but I’ve never seen the guy play. For £65m he has to be a match winner

Post #490457  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:02 am 

Rich wrote:
Spurs close to £65m signing of Ndombele from Lyon. Big prices will get fans excited but I’ve never seen the guy play. For £65m he has to be a match winner

It may still be a rumour but if it did happen then we can forget about getting much talent for 40mil as clubs will be asking silly prices across the board from english clubs to buy players from overseas.

Post #490458  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:50 am 

Rich wrote:

Spurs spending our entire budget on one player.

Only sacking Emery and appointing Benitez will counter this

Post #490459  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:12 am 

For once, I’m quite looking forward to the new season. I’m really hopeful that we see more of Reiss Nelson, Joe Willock, Emile Smith-Rowe and Krystian Bielik. The point to make about that lot is that Bielik apart, they’re all midfielders; that seems to be the talent we’re producing. I’d love to include Zech Medley but I sincerely doubt that he’s ready. Not sure Bielik is quite ready either so I don’t really see him in the middle of the defence yet, but as a defensive midfielder - maybe. I haven't seen much of him recently but I think he has talent.

So for all those reasons, I’d be content if we blew our entire transfer budget, including any fees we may generate by sales, on one single top-notch central defender.

Post #490460  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 am 

If we promote our better youth players, bring in some young, dynamic players such as the Celtic fullback and keep the better first teamers (Bellerin) and get rid of the dead weight (Mustafi, etc.), I'd be interested in seeing an Arsenal side that were vibrant and had some fight in them.

Post #490461  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:16 am 

So, Gazidis is raiding his old club, eh?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/26/arsenal- ... -10072524/

According to Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport, the Italian club are therefore willing to include two players in a deal: midfielder Franck Kessie and left-back Ricardo Rodriguez. Milan’s willingness to include Kessie in a deal has already been reported, though the Serie A side’s valuation of around £35m – coupled with Arsenal’s interest in other midfielders – could prove to be a stumbling block.

The Rossoneri are more optimistic about Rodriguez being accepted as part of a player-plus-cash deal, however, with Milan ‘convinced’ that the player is exactly what Unai Emery is looking for. Arsenal are in the market for a new left-back this summer, with Nacho Monreal expected to leave, and Rodriguez’s attacking intent and versatility – also capable of playing as a wing-back – is a good fit for Emery.

Post #490462  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:53 am 

Rich wrote:

He was 'worth' £7m last season. The game is going mad.

Post #490463  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:57 am 

DHD wrote:
For once, I'm quite looking forward to the new season. I'm really hopeful that we see more of Reiss Nelson, Joe Willock, Emile Smith-Rowe and Krystian Bielik. The point to make about that lot is that Bielik apart, they're all midfielders; that seems to be the talent we're producing. I'd love to include Zech Medley but I sincerely doubt that h's ready. Not sure Bielik is quite ready either so I don't really see him in the middle of the defence yet, but as a defensive midfielder - maybe. I haven't seen much of him recently but I think he has talent.

So for all those reasons, I'd be content if we blew our entire transfer budget, including any fees we may generate by sales, on one single top-notch central defender.

Interesting stats from the Times today. Encouragingly persuasive.

Attachment:

Post #490464  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:14 am 

long time gooner wrote:
DHD wrote:
For once, I'm quite looking forward to the new season. I'm really hopeful that we see more of Reiss Nelson, Joe Willock, Emile Smith-Rowe and Krystian Bielik. The point to make about that lot is that Bielik apart, they're all midfielders; that seems to be the talent we're producing. I'd love to include Zech Medley but I sincerely doubt that h's ready. Not sure Bielik is quite ready either so I don't really see him in the middle of the defence yet, but as a defensive midfielder - maybe. I haven't seen much of him recently but I think he has talent.

So for all those reasons, I'd be content if we blew our entire transfer budget, including any fees we may generate by sales, on one single top-notch central defender.

Attachment:
Times 3.png

No assists in 23 games in the bundesliga. As promising as he is I’m not sure the 19 year old can be relied upon to save Emery’s job and drive us into the top 4.

He’s probably an option off the bench at best.

As for the others Willock maybe but smith Rowe needs a season loan

Post #490465  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:18 am 

long time gooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

Attachment:
Times 3.png

Interesting stats LTG.

I like 'the idea' of Nelson, not least because he and his entire family are time-served gooners.

Post #490466  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:20 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So, Gazidis is raiding his old club, eh?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/26/arsenal- ... -10072524/

According to Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport, the Italian club are therefore willing to include two players in a deal: midfielder Franck Kessie and left-back Ricardo Rodriguez. Milan’s willingness to include Kessie in a deal has already been reported, though the Serie A side’s valuation of around £35m – coupled with Arsenal’s interest in other midfielders – could prove to be a stumbling block.

The Rossoneri are more optimistic about Rodriguez being accepted as part of a player-plus-cash deal, however, with Milan ‘convinced’ that the player is exactly what Unai Emery is looking for. Arsenal are in the market for a new left-back this summer, with Nacho Monreal expected to leave, and Rodriguez’s attacking intent and versatility – also capable of playing as a wing-back – is a good fit for Emery.

Kessie looks like a bit of a lump - plays like one too. Puts himself about like a dodgem car.

Reading his profile, while playing for Ivory Coast in a tournament when he was 16, he was reported to FIFA and accused of being 22!

Shades of the blessed Kanu who was at least 47 when he signed for us.

Post #490467  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:21 am 

DHD wrote:
Interesting stats LTG.

I like 'the idea' of Nelson, not least because he and his entire family are time-served gooners.

They are indeed. Full article here.

Attachment:

Attachment:

Post #490468  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:24 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
No assists in 23 games in the bundesliga. As promising as he is I’m not sure the 19 year old can be relied upon to save Emery’s job and drive us into the top 4.

He’s probably an option off the bench at best.

As for the others Willock maybe but smith Rowe needs a season loan

Yeah, but given that we seem to have two and sixpence ha'penny to spend it would seem to be a good idea to make use what talent we have in this area and spend the money on the defence.

Post #490469  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:31 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
No , no , no .... Old Man .... a shining example of your eclectic tastes but to plinky plunky for me . Never liked jazz .. Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" and Acker Bilk's " Stranger on the shore " are passably acceptable

I went to school with Acker Bilk’s son. His name was Peter. From what I remember he was a quiet lad but a nice enough bloke.

Think you'll find most guys named Peter are pretty nice guys .

Decided to stay up for a bit for the first time and watch the poxy little country in the cricket World Cup ....

We've beaten all the minnows Sri Lanka , South Africa , West Indies , Bangladesh , Afghanistan but the wheels are dropping off big time against Pakistan .

Post #490470  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:42 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decided to stay up for a bit for the first time and watch the poxy little country in the cricket World Cup ....

We've beaten all the minnows Sri Lanka , South Africa , West Indies , Bangladesh , Afghanistan but the wheels are dropping off big time against Pakistan .

Yeah - funny, that.

Post #490471  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:58 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

He was 'worth' £7m last season. The game is going mad.

Remember when we allegedly bid £90m for Thomas Lemar on transfer deadline day. What's he worth now? Half that?

It is madness.

Post #490472  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Attachment:
Times 3.png

You're probably right, although that assists stat is slightly deceptive. He only played 628 minutes in total.

Post #490473  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:36 pm 

Ornstein is now saying Zaha wants to come to arsenal. He’s an arsenal fan as a kid.

There’s definitely something in this it’s not speculation as people close to the club are saying they are hearing it.

If we got him and Tierney it would transform the left hand side of our first 11 and is absolutely what we need

Surely a transfer can be worked out ?

40 million in installment plus chambers and some loans

Post #490474  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:39 pm 

Reading, Rich, Soc, ltg, comments on transfer prices. I wasn't around back then but I have to assume the same things were said when transfer records were set such as the first player that cost 10,000 pounds, 100,000 pounds and 1 million pounds. I assume some of you were around in those days for the higher amounts.

American sports went through the same. Salaries in the NBA took off in the 90s onward. Baseball soon there after. Ice Hockey was the last one but that took off. The NFL not as much because they have a weak player union. No guarantee contracts.

Post #490475  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:39 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Kiwi's lot getting skittled by the brilliantly unpredictable Pakistan. How sad :22cry: :22cry: :22cry: :toothy9:

Post #490476  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ornstein is now saying Zaha wants to come to arsenal. He’s an arsenal fan as a kid.

There’s definitely something in this it’s not speculation as people close to the club are saying they are hearing it.

If we got him and Tierney it would transform the left hand side of our first 11 and is absolutely what we need

TG - can you see Zaha, Lacazette and Aubameyang in the same team? I can't. Not even in the same squad.

Of course that doesn't rule out Zaha joining us, but if he did, it would suggest to me that one of the other two is off.

Post #490477  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:21 pm 

DHD wrote:
can you see Zaha, Lacazette and Aubameyang in the same team? I can't. Not even in the same squad.

Of course that doesn't rule out Zaha joining us, but if he did, it would suggest to me that one of the other two is off.

Those 3 wouldn't work in a front 3 up top? 4-3-3 maybe? We'd need a solid midfield though.

Can't see any price he is worth that we can meet frankly.

Post #490478  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:33 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Reading, Rich, Soc, ltg, comments on transfer prices. I wasn't around back then but I have to assume the same things were said when transfer records were set such as the first player that cost 10,000 pounds, 100,000 pounds and 1 million pounds. I assume some of you were around in those days for the higher amounts.

American sports went through the same. Salaries in the NBA took off in the 90s onward. Baseball soon there after. Ice Hockey was the last one but that took off. The NFL not as much because they have a weak player union. No guarantee contracts.

I ‘blame’ this man https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ny-hateley

Post #490479  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:34 pm 

.... or perhaps George Eastham

Post #490480  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:03 pm 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

TG - can you see Zaha, Lacazette and Aubameyang in the same team? I can't. Not even in the same squad.

I think you could have all 3 and rotate. On the run in I thought Lacazette and Aubameyang looked our freshest players because we were able to use them more sparingly than other players.

I think you are quite right it could mean selling Aubameyang or Torreira but it might be worth it. Zaha is however a natural winger and we don’t have one in the squad currently

[ 562427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12259, 12260, 12261, 12262, 12263, 12264, 12265 ... 14061  Next