Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie, warrior and 281 guests

Post #498841  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:36 pm 

Worth also mentioning Saka’s goal and assist both off his weaker foot. So many players, and very good players, would have taken the extra touch once they’d gone round the gk as they simply wouldn’t have trusted their weak foot to control that finish. Similarly for the cross, Saka is so good on the right because he is not scared of putting it in first time with his weak foot, there was only one way lacazette scored that goal and it is a first time cross in that exact place, with that exact pace, away from the gk and bisecting the two defenders.

Both goal and assist are made to look very simple but they really weren’t

Post #498842  Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
Worth also mentioning Saka’s goal and assist both off his weaker foot. So many players, and very good players, would have taken the extra touch once they’d gone round the gk as they simply wouldn’t have trusted their weak foot to control that finish. Similarly for the cross, Saka is so good on the right because he is not scared of putting it in first time with his weak foot, there was only one way lacazette scored that goal and it is a first time cross in that exact place, with that exact pace, away from the gk and bisecting the two defenders.

Both goal and assist are made to look very simple but they really weren’t

Which adds credence to his claim that he meant that one against Chelsea!

I'm convinced anyway.

Or perhaps Messi is also trying to cross half the time he knocks it into the net? Similarly, perhaps Ronaldo is often just trying knock it into row Z to waste time and fails to get under it and it flies into the top corner? Some of their goals look pretty improbable. :brushteeth:

Post #498843  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:08 am 

Decaf wrote:
Which adds credence to his claim that he meant that one against Chelsea!

I'm convinced anyway.

Or perhaps Messi is also trying to cross half the time he knocks it into the net? Similarly, perhaps Ronaldo is often just trying knock it into row Z to waste time and fails to get under it and it flies into the top corner? Some of their goals look pretty improbable. :brushteeth:

Me too, regarding that goal against Chelsea. The nearest teammate to the far post where Saka put it in with his right foot was, in my view, too far away for claims that he simply mishit a cross to him to be credible. Especially, as he showed with his goal today, he’s competent with his right foot despite being left footed.

Post #498844  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
There’s never been any doubt Leno is a very good goalkeeper just a bunch of wallys moaning at the start of the season at the slightest little thing and at any point the ball going in our net blaming him for it. There’s been no drastic improvement he’s always solid just the needless moaning ended.

And yet you start a moan about moans

Post #498845  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:31 am 

I think that by going out of the FA Cup we get a full weeks rest between the two midweek europa league games against Benfica.

Post #498846  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:33 am 

I was more nervous about not having Tierney than Aubameyang last night. It seemed that Tierney gave us that Nat ur al left sided balance as well as his very good performances. I need not have worried for two reasons, Cédric was fantastic and Pépé gave us that natural left footed balance with Cédric on the underlap, the opposite to how Tierney and Aubameyang work.
If we played Saka and Pépé as wingers earlier in the season it might have been Pépé on the right.

Post #498847  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:48 am 

The commentator said we have not won 3 consecutive league games since --------- and I couldn't hear what he said. Must have been a few years I assume.

I suspected that once we started playing well as a team Pépé and Willian's performances would get better. We haven't turned the corner completely despite the results. But we are heading there. Let's see how consistently good we are, especially against the better sides at the top of the table.

We may want to convert Pépé to Lacazette's role if Lacazette goes. He can play through the middle and his dribbling seems to throw central defenders off, turns them wrong side of the player.

If Willian starts get going, we'll have a decent attack. We'll look more solid at the back with Gabriel back as well as Tierney. Cédric is making a name for himself as well. The player who I feel will be transformative is Martinelli. Not to the degree Aubameyang is but if he stays fit and gets a run of games I think he'll be huge.

Post #498848  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:11 am 

Great result, excellent performance.

Saka must be on the radar of every big club in the world now. Thankfully Barca have money issues and I think Real have their sights set on Mbappe or Haaland.

PSG or Bayern might be a problem though.

Post #498849  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:30 am 

socrates wrote:

Saka must be on the radar of every big club in the world now. Thankfully Barca have money issues and I think Real have their sights set on Mbappe or Haaland.

Barca have cracked the code with transfers; you can make as many expensive signings as you want, as long as you never pay the selling club. Brilliant stuff.

Post #498850  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:10 am 

socrates wrote:

Saka is under contract till 2024 and I think Covid has turned the transfer market on its head. I think unless he himself gets pissed off at Arsenal there’s Not much risk.

Post #498851  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:16 am 

Any clues on PEA's problems?

Post #498852  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:56 am 

DHD wrote:

I was wondering that. Family issues, isn’t it? Wonder what family issues it is?

Post #498853  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:13 am 

DHD wrote:

Hopefully nothing serious. Possibly a bereavement

Dare I say I thought we looked more balanced without him in the Side?

I’m not advocating dropping him he’s a great player but I thought our front 3 all had a great game and seemed to know their roles yesterday.if you play Aubameyang on the left if you aren’t playing the right type of passes behind the defence he’s wasted there and that wasn’t the case with Pépé who is a handful

Post #498854  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:34 am 

Nice goal by Jack in the FA Cup last night. Pleased for him. Hope that this is the new start that he needs and deserves.

Post #498855  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:50 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Dare I say I thought we looked more balanced without him in the Side?

I’m not advocating dropping him he’s a great player but I thought our front 3 all had a great game and seemed to know their roles yesterday.if you play Aubameyang on the left if you aren’t playing the right type of passes behind the defence he’s wasted there and that wasn’t the case with Pépé who is a handful

I was thinking about that. As Rich suggested before the game, the Pépé, Lacazette, Saka frontline looks good, especially Pépé on the left. All look natural in their positions. One wouldn't want to drop any of them. It's a nice 'problem' to have options when we've got so many games coming up! Our over-reliance on Aubameyang for goals was badly exposed during our poor run, so it is great that the other forwards are finding their shooting boots. Martinelli will hopefully get gametime too.

Post #498856  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

If it’s a bereavement it’s pretty damn serious for the deceased. Health of a close relative maybe? A divorce?

Post #498857  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:03 am 

The great EU is no match for Great Britain

Brexit LIVE: Make them pay! EU faces £200m punishment bill as UK business turns on bloc
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... ms-fishing

It's not quite going the right way is it?
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics

And wee Twankie bites the dust as well
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13893 ... ndence-spt

Post #498858  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:17 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If it’s a bereavement it’s pretty damn serious for the deceased. Health of a close relative maybe? A divorce?

Sorry Bernard you read that wrong I wasn’t suggesting that death is minor issue :laughing7: just I hoped it wasn’t something serious it I could be.

By the way death isn’t serious depending on your personal beliefs. I personally believe in reincarnation and am hoping to come back as a bird of prey

Post #498859  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:23 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
By the way death isn’t serious depending on your personal beliefs. I personally believe in reincarnation and am hoping to come back as a bird of prey

Do you? Seriously?

Post #498860  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Do you? Seriously?

No

Post #498861  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Do you? Seriously?

No

That's disappointing, TG. I am actually planning to be reincarnated as a bird of prey, and I was hoping not to be left on my Pat Malone.

Post #498862  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:01 pm 

Finally a proper no 11 in the squad once more. Can we please never give it to a defensive midfielder again.

Post #498863  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
No

That's disappointing, TG. I am actually planning to be reincarnated as a bird of prey, and I was hoping not to be left on my Pat Malone.

:laughing7:

Post #498864  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:01 pm 

Whenever I used to see Grealish play for Aston Villa I was always a bit surprised he was allowed to have his socks nearer his ankles than his knees. It was clear he didn’t wear shin pads on his upper shins. For the sake of protecting players from serious injury I’d have thought there’d be some sort of official or Premier League rule saying shin pads had to be worn. Or Villa would have told him to wear them.

I’ve noticed over the last two or three games that Smith Rowe is now doing the same as Grealish. Seems silly. Shin pads are worn for a reason, not decoration. But Arsenal are presumably taking the same lax attitude on this as Aston Villa and letting him do it.

Post #498865  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:19 pm 

I don't know a lot about this loaned player other than he's an attacking midfielder. I assume he plays through the middle rather than the wings. Yes?

Post #498866  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:22 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't know a lot about this loaned player other than he's an attacking midfielder. I assume he plays through the middle rather than the wings. Yes?

Yes, I would say he's definitely a central player. Not very quick from what I've seen, but very good technique and a great left foot. My view of him is a pretty classical playmaking number 10.

Post #498867  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:23 pm 

Never heard of this former academy player.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... dium=email

Post #498868  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:42 pm 

Ødegaard signs - good news.

I think this has been a very good window for Arsenal. It has been refreshing to see sensible and decisive decisions being made.

In the build up to the window most fans biggest concern was the lack of creativity in the side, then Smith-Rowe broke through and our concerns moved towards over reliance on him and over playing him, so Ødegaard on loan is sensible. We may go back in the summer or we may move for other targets but either way it helps us right now without over committing.

As well as that we came in with concerns if anything happened to Leno, Runarsson had looked a bit out of his depth so bringing Mat Ryan in on loan is another sensible move. He might not start a single game for us but that doesn't matter. Another position we can revisit in the summer but that we've fixed for now.

Then outgoings for Özil, Sokratis, Kolasinac - and possibly Mustafi.

Still a few murmurings we're looking at back up left back options but they may die down after Cédric's performance last night.

In the summer then we will lose Luiz and Ceballos and Mustafi. Decisions will also need to be made on Elneny, Kolasinac, Nketiah, Chambers and Lacazette. Also we need to make decisions on Nelson, Willock with possible loans and on the future of AMN who may become the sacrifice to raise funds. Not forgetting Torreira and Guendouzi currently on loan. That's 10 players with questions marks over them, and the only one of that 10 who is making any sort of case for staying is Lacazette.

As for incoming players as a minimum we need to be looking at a No.2 GK, creative mid, centre mid (to replace the 3 loan players we have) then review the rest of the squad depending on departures.

Post #498869  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:43 pm 

I hope he works out. Can't wait to see him and how Arteta uses him.

Post #498870  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:43 pm 

Ceballos helped in sealing the deal apparently.

Post #498871  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:45 pm 

Can't underestimate how important Leno's penalty save against Chelsea was to our season. If that match had gone to 3-2 with 3/4 stoppage time minutes still to go it would have been panic stations and I'm pretty sure we'd have conceded, given our fragile confidence at the time. To have given up a 3-0 lead could have had dire consequences for the rest of the season, especially with Fat Sam running off his mouth at the time.

Good work Bernd.

Post #498872  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:

His name doesn't ring a bell. Often these headlines are "Ex-Arsenal....." when they've never got anywhere near the first team because it generates a lot more clicks than saying "Ex-Bradford winger......"

Post #498873  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:11 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

His name doesn't ring a bell. Often these headlines are "Ex-Arsenal....." when they've never got anywhere near the first team because it generates a lot more clicks than saying "Ex-Bradford winger......"

I'm sure I remember seeing him play in the FA Youth cup. Anyway, good riddance.

Post #498874  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:24 pm 

In the interview he mentions he is a fan of Fabregas' style of play. I like this boy! :58big-emoticons: Which presumably tells me where he is playing on the pitch. We really do need someone dynamic in the middle.
Its looking like a decent spine. Leno, Gabriel (with Holding), Partey, this loanee, Aubameyang, Martinelli. Hmm...maybe even a squad that can go a bit far into Europa cup.

Post #498875  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:35 pm 

He's probably going to get thrown into the deep end is my guess.

Post #498876  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:40 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

PEA does have a brother. Hopefully nothing Covid related or other health issue within his family.

Post #498877  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:54 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:

PEA does have a brother. Hopefully nothing Covid related or other health issue within his family.

Aubameyang has just posted on social media that it was his mother who was quite ill, he said she is much better now, thanks the doctors and well-wishers and that he is returning (assume to London) tonight.

Post #498878  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:56 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Zed wrote:
Hi Gunfire,
I was being a little facetious. Tuchel no doubt knows what he's getting himself into. He'll need to throw all he's got to make it work. Added to the totem pole of managers.

Let's hope he wants Willian back in Chelsea

:laughing7:

Post #498879  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:04 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

Aubameyang has just posted on social media that it was his mother who was quite ill, he said she is much better now, thanks the doctors and well-wishers and that he is returning (assume to London) tonight.

Good news on that then for his mother. Hopefully Aubameyang will be in Saturday's match.

Post #498880  Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:10 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yeah Bradford is less worthy of such sensational publicity within the ranks.

[ 548398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12469, 12470, 12471, 12472, 12473, 12474, 12475 ... 13710  Next