Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 283 guests

Post #497681  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:42 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I do have to say though it reminds me of what Arsene said about how all the players are desperate for the ball when you are 3 up but when the sh/tz hitting the fan ? Less so

Yeah but I'm sure I saw the game started at 0-0...

Post #497682  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:43 pm 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I do have to say though it reminds me of what Arsene said about how all the players are desperate for the ball when you are 3 up but when the sh/tz hitting the fan ? Less so

:42laughter:

Post #497683  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:45 pm 

just after the 4th goal went in, I nearly felt sorry for Fat Sam (shudder) then I was reminded he revelled in saying we were relegation rivals a week ago.. Have some of that.

Post #497684  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:46 pm 

Aubameyang looks shot of confidence and belief right now.

Needs one to go in off his behind or something

Post #497685  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:55 pm 

WBA were desperately poor but that was probably our most complete performance of the season.

Tierney is turning into a superstar before our very eyes.

Pablo Mari is very composed on the ball, probably better than Gabriel in that respect and Gabriel's not bad. It remains to be seen how he deals with the speed merchants he will undoubtedly face as he plays more games but so far so good.

Smith-Rowe, Saka, Tierney, AMN all bring an energy and youthful exhubernce to the side.

Rob Holding may not be the answer long term but he's far from the donkey some would have you believe. Very good again tonight.

Post #497686  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

We were on it from the first minute today. Credit where it's due.

Post #497687  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:59 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

We were on it from the first minute today. Credit where it's due.

Indeed we were, bg. Surprisingly so given the conditions and the opponents.

Post #497688  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:01 pm 

Proper performance but we need to remember that WBA are pretty *%^@.

Post #497689  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:04 pm 

Bad night for the “ Artetas a Spanish David Moyes”crowd

The actual truth is that Emile Smith Rowe coming into the side has changed the whole forward motion and movement of the team as he is constantly on his bike and trying to play one twos so it’s creating more space for our strikers and wide players. We look 100% better and his improvement is staggering.

Willian came on and showed what a massive disappointment he’s been this season.

Post #497690  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:05 pm 

DHD wrote:
Proper performance but we need to remember that WBA are pretty *%^@.

You can only beat what’s put in front of you.

And tbf I wasn’t as confident as all that before the game, given how tight the BHA game was.

Post #497691  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:09 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
DHD wrote:
Passes holding up now because of the snow. No time for playing out.

Aerial route please.

Like watching a game from the past isn’t it?

....which reminds me...

West Brom was my first proper road-tour away game out of London with my mates. I’d been to plenty of London derbies and a few further afield by train with the old man, mostly Cup games, but this was my first Jolly Boys’ outing. 1971 as we zeroed in on the title. 2-2 as I recall.

Me and my mates had bought a Thames 12 seater van between us at Dalston car auctions, primarily to follow the Arse but with a secondary ambition of pissy weekends away. It was particularly enjoyable when the two could be combined. CPU188B did us well.

That particular weekend we did some missionary work in Birmingham after the game. Cockerny accent was a pretty potent weapon in the provinces in the days before everyone spoke ‘estuary’. We duly cut swathes. We’d later go on to do god’s work in Europe, by then as double winners. Wasn’t really fair.

Post #497692  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

The actual truth is that Emile Smith Rowe coming into the side has changed the whole forward motion and movement of the team as he is constantly on his bike and trying to play one twos so it’s creating more space for our strikers and wide players. We look 100% better and his improvement is staggering.

Willian was terrible. He has been hugely disappointing.

Post #497693  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

The only problem you have is that Arteta had to be dragged kicking and screaming to see SR as an alternate to his favourites. His man management and his players he selected are not good. He has a long way to go and he now needs the young players. It’s what he does with Saliba Guendouzi and Willian from here that will test his mettle as a man manager.

Post #497694  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:21 pm 

Sam Allardyce has now lost to Arsenal as manager of eight different clubs: Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland, Crystal Palace, Everton and West Brom :58big-emoticons:

So nice to stick it to him after his ‘Arsenal are definitely one of our rivals in a relegation battle’

Post #497695  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:24 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The only problem you have is that Arteta had to be dragged kicking and screaming to see SR as an alternate to his favourites. His man management and his players he selected are not good. He has a long way to go and he now needs the young players. It’s what he does with Saliba Guendouzi and Willian from here that will test his mettle as a man manager.

Wasn’t Emile Smith Rowe coming off an injury at the start of the season so wasn’t available for selection until recently anyway?

Post #497696  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:28 pm 

I was critical of Lacazette recently because I felt he was missing chances in tight games where the team was under pressure. Fair play to him he’s our most in form forward at the moment and appears to be revelling in having the young players buzzing and running beyond him. Confidence is such a valuable thing in football

Post #497697  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:33 pm 

Really enjoying the side at the moment. Might not be the most fashionable names in the side but there is a seriousness and an energy and commitment that hasn’t been there before.

Tierney really is our next captain no doubt about that for me. I know a few Celtic fans and they always assured me he was top top class.
Saka and smith-Rowe brilliant. Saka might just be at his best on that right-wing position which is strange having burst on to the scene from left sided positions, he’s getting better each game. Right up there with any English U21 player right now.

Can’t wait for Partey to come back in to this team as well. Next 2 league games at home we need to see the same intensity and same focus. Win both of those and we might only be a win off champions league places!

Post #497698  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:48 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Wasn’t Emile Smith Rowe coming off an injury at the start of the season so wasn’t available for selection until recently anyway?

Good point,

It’s also worth pointing out Arteta has given willock a lot of game time that has really not paid dividends so it’s not a lack of willing to blood young players and give them chances

Post #497699  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:14 am 

DHD wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Like watching a game from the past isn’t it?

....which reminds me...

West Brom was my first proper road-tour away game out of London with my mates. I’d been to plenty of London derbies and a few further afield by train with the old man, mostly Cup games, but this was my first Jolly Boys’ outing. 1971 as we zeroed in on the title. 2-2 as I recall.

Me and my mates had bought a Thames 12 seater van between us at Dalston car auctions, primarily to follow the Arse but with a secondary ambition of pissy weekends away. It was particularly enjoyable when the two could be combined. CPU188B did us well.

That particular weekend we did some missionary work in Birmingham after the game. Cockerny accent was a pretty potent weapon in the provinces in the days before everyone spoke ‘estuary’. We duly cut swathes. We’d later go on to do god’s work in Europe, by then as double winners. Wasn’t really fair.

Used to love those awaydays. Early 70s...Went down to Euston Saturday morning. Big breakfast in a local cafe. Newspapers cards and beer ready for the train journey. Away to West Brom in the cup. Get in Station find out game’s cancelled due to weather. Ah bollocks. Back home. They played it midweek (didn’t go). Lost 1:0. Tony Brown scored for them.

Post #497700  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
That's a forward statement, meaning for the WBA match.

Thought you are a sharp guy, perhaps your quickness to bite down on others has reduced your sharpness :42laughter:

I don’t think I am quick to bite down on others at all. But to say you hope Arteta “stops picking Willian ahead of Emile Smith Rowe” can only mean you thought he had been. I wasn’t aware of him doing so since Smith Rowe came into the side. Hence I thought I was being helpful rather than biting down on you or anyone.

My apologies :12hello-bye:

Post #497701  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:56 am 

Note that typing the letters E S and R together gets Emile Smith Rowe

Post #497702  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:12 am 

It was a most entertaining Arsenal performance to watch. The energy from the team is so different. Felt Aubameyang was more energised as well. Stand out players were Tierney, Saka, Emile Smith Rowe & Lacazette. Beyond the goals, Lacazette was also defending from the front.

Unfortunately, both Willian and Willock came in, and did not do much for the team. Willock has become a very poor midfielder. Wonder why. He was doing great last season, and was a stand-out in some.

Post #497703  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:18 am 

Eat crow fat Sam.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/55515033

Not sure if I agree we have turned it completely around yet. The Chelsea wins was significant. Let's wait till months end and see where we are.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55519132

The one big positive for us is that we are playing well without Gabriel, Partey and for the most part Martinelli sparingly so far. I know I keep saying this but with all 3 available, it should be at the very minimum, a side that will beat the lower table sides home and away usually and play the top 4 or 5 sides to a draw away. Not to mention if we pick up a decent player in a needed position like attacking center mid and/or central defense.

I have to mention, I love Ceballos' tackle that picked up the yellow card. It was a wee bit rash but it showed he was willing to do the dirty work and win the ball back. He would not have made that tackle a month ago.

Post #497704  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:23 am 

Rich wrote:
Sam Allardyce has now lost to Arsenal as manager of eight different clubs: Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland, Crystal Palace, Everton and West Brom :58big-emoticons:

So nice to stick it to him after his ‘Arsenal are definitely one of our rivals in a relegation battle’

F. Scott Fitzgerald. F. Lee Bailey. F. Murray Abraham. FBI, F fat Sam.

Post #497705  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:27 am 

Arsenal have the most away clean sheets and the least away goals conceded so far in the league. No mean feat considering where we are in the table and because we’ve gone to Liverpool, city, spurs and Man U

Post #497706  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:40 am 

These things happen and top 6 is an outside possibility.
1. Gabriel, Partey and Martinelli stay healthy and are being played regularly together.
2. Aubameyang starts scoring. Doesn't even have to be at the same rate.
3. Pépé and Willian have decent games. Even if they aren't world beaters. The odd goal, recurring threat, etc.
4. Either we get a quality partner for Gabriel or Holding maintains his present form with Luiz being consistent. Mustafi, if he's around (and he'll probably retire here at this rate) playing decent.

Post #497707  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:01 am 

warrior wrote:

Also note that typing the letters W I L L I A N together gets Useless.

Post #497708  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:10 am 

Really enjoyed the number of players we were getting in the box. Even in the 2nd minute when Saka fired that cross in that Aubameyang couldn’t quite stretch to reach at the back post there were 4 arsenal players running in to the box

Post #497709  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:26 am 

MOTD said Tierney’s goal was the first Arsenal goal in the league by a Scot since Charlie Nicholas scored in 1986. If I heard that correctly and it’s true, I was surprised as Nicholas scored two goals to win the 1987 League Cup final. Did he really not score again in the league after 1986 despite getting cup goals in 1987?

Post #497710  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:05 am 

As a pure footballer in terms of technique, crossing a ball, striking a ball cleanly is Tierney the best left back we’ve had since Cole. Maybe Sylvinho actually had ridiculous technique but lacked in some robustness. Tierney is one of the most exciting players in our team now. Easy to see how he’ll become a firm fan favourite

Post #497711  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:07 am 

Bernard wrote:
MOTD said Tierney’s goal was the first Arsenal goal in the league by a Scot since Charlie Nicholas scored in 1986. If I heard that correctly and it’s true, I was surprised as Nicholas scored two goals to win the 1987 League Cup final. Did he really not score again in the league after 1986 despite getting cup goals in 1987?

I saw a few people on Twitter correct it, as the first AWAY goal by a Scot. I think Scott Marshall scored one, and possibly Paul Dickov- and of course Tierney himself got one at the back end of last season at home

Post #497712  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:02 am 

Rich wrote:
As a pure footballer in terms of technique, crossing a ball, striking a ball cleanly is Tierney the best left back we’ve had since Cole. Maybe Sylvinho actually had ridiculous technique but lacked in some robustness. Tierney is one of the most exciting players in our team now. Easy to see how he’ll become a firm fan favourite

Agree

Also it’s completely evident that he’s the teams captain. Maybe not in name and title but definitely in spirit and attitude. Only a matter of time on that.

Post #497713  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:47 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I saw a few people on Twitter correct it, as the first AWAY goal by a Scot. I think Scott Marshall scored one, and possibly Paul Dickov- and of course Tierney himself got one at the back end of last season at home

I thought Tierney’s goal last season was in one of the cups? The BBC did specifically say it was the first league goal by a Scot since Nicholas in 1986. I don’t recall Marshall scoring but he presumably did if your Twitter contract is right. I do remember Dickov scoring. No idea of the competition or competitions he scored though, although there is something making me think he did score in the league at Highbury (so at home).

Post #497714  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:53 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

This is where Kiwi would start talking about softcocks...

Any news from him? Haven't seen a post from him in ages.

Not for a while. Grantyboy has been on though.

Dunno why he's not around here much anymore and we haven't spoken about Arsenal in quite a long time (probably for the best given how crap we have been). :laughing7:

Post #497715  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:53 am 

I vaguely recall Marshall scoring at home againest Newcastle I think

Can’t recall an away goal

Post #497716  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:57 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I vaguely recall Marshall scoring at home againest Newcastle I think

Can’t recall an away goal

Well remembered. Scott Marshall’s goal was in the league in a home game against Newcastle on 23rd March 1996.

Post #497717  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I thought Tierney’s goal last season was in one of the cups?

I was mistaken as Tierney’s goal last season was in the league, at home against Watford on 26th July 2020.

Post #497718  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:08 pm 

You still think Emile Smith Rowe is overrated Bernard?

Post #497719  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:13 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:

Also note that typing the letters W I L L I A N together gets Useless.

good one :1laughter:

Post #497720  Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:27 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:
You still think Emile Smith Rowe is overrated Bernard?

I’m hoping he isn’t overrated. I’m still not convinced his pure talent is anything that extraordinary. But Arteta got it right in my view. His intelligence on the pitch enables him to pick the right option time and time again. If that continues, it will hopefully easily compensate him not having a Hoddle, Hudson, Brady, Bergkamp (and so on) level of technical ability (if he doesn’t). He obviously has to keep his development progressing too.

[ 548398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12440, 12441, 12442, 12443, 12444, 12445, 12446 ... 13710  Next