Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, Decaf, Rich and 285 guests

Post #472081  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:03 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Ødegaard barely touched the ball tonight.

Indeed. Pretty ordinary really.

Nice to see him having a long friendly chat with Klopp at the end.

Post #472082  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:04 pm 

TG here borrowing Gaz’s computer. Aubameyang was brilliant again, we went really well, Leno only conceded 3 and Arteta is the greatest manager of the modern era. We are truly blessed by this performance.

Post #472083  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
I think it will be a miracle if this shower of *%^@ wins the Europa. Arteta should be under pressure now, this has been unacceptable.

It’s a bad performance but surely that highlights a lack of quality. I mean ceballos and El Nenny talk about a mismatch

We’ve got a handful of decent players in this squad. We can’t afford to lose Saka and Emile Smith Rowe for one game

Did you watch fat Sam's bunch of journeymen earlier? Arteta had 170 million of forward players on the pitch tonight, plus a 45 million central midfielder with one of the game's top prospects in front of him. This was Liverpool's 3rd win in 9 games according to the comms. It was pathetic.

Post #472084  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:06 pm 

It’s clear to me that every good performance this year has been one where we’ve played faster, higher tempo football and a high press. The pass % may have been low but we clearly look a better team with those tactics. I find it incredible that we only seem to be able to perform at that intensity one in every 4 games or so.
Still major surgery required on this squad, been saying all season and the season before. Far too many of our squad just don’t cut it at the top level of the game. I’d bin off half this squad in a heartbeat

Post #472085  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:08 pm 

Orbinho on Twitter;

“Since 2003, Arsenal have managed three or fewer shots five times in the Premier League - four of those have been in games under Mikel Arteta.”

Post #472086  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yes let’s sack the manager and get someone else in who can turn ceballos & El Nenny into the world class players they are. They should be running rings round Fabinho and Tiago shouldn’t they!

On the other hand should they be losing 3-0 at home and be lucky it was only 3? Let's face it it should have been 6-0. How many teams have Liverpool beaten 3-0 (or more) at the opponents ground this season?

Post #472087  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:10 pm 

DHD wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Ødegaard barely touched the ball tonight.

Indeed. Pretty ordinary really.

Nice to see him having a long friendly chat with Klopp at the end.

He looked lightweight tonight under the physical challenge of the Liverpool press.

Certainly not a no-brainer signing just yet at the £50m or whatever he would cost.

Post #472088  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:11 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Sort of, but not quite:

“I still believe he deserves to overall be considered a good loan signing.”

Thank you LTG. I said overall he deserves to be seen as a good loan signing because of his contribution to the cup win. This season I described him as disappointing.

Post #472089  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
It’s clear to me that every good performance this year has been one where we’ve played faster, higher tempo football and a high press. The pass % may have been low but we clearly look a better team with those tactics. I find it incredible that we only seem to be able to perform at that intensity one in every 4 games or so.
Still major surgery required on this squad, been saying all season and the season before. Far too many of our squad just don’t cut it at the top level of the game. I’d bin off half this squad in a heartbeat

I don't think we can just blame the players either, Arteta picks the side and the tactics and is employed to get the very best technically, physically, mentally and motivationally out of the players he has at his disposal. 12 losses this season suggests he isn't getting that.

Post #472090  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:16 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It’s a bad performance but surely that highlights a lack of quality. I mean ceballos and El Nenny talk about a mismatch

We’ve got a handful of decent players in this squad. We can’t afford to lose Saka and Emile Smith Rowe for one game

Did you watch fat Sam's bunch of journeymen earlier? Arteta had 170 million of forward players on the pitch tonight, plus a 45 million central midfielder with one of the game's top prospects in front of him. This was Liverpool's 3rd win in 9 games according to the comms. It was pathetic.

He had to start the game with 2 central midfield players on loan who probably know they won’t be at the club after this summer. 1 of whom shite anyway. We know what the problem is. We are a Porsche with a Morris minor engine in it.

It was shite but we’re you expecting us to win, I wasn’t.

Post #472091  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:16 pm 

I’m struggling to think of many games where we’ve defended deep, let the other team have the ball and offered a genuine threat on the counter attack. With the forwards we have I don’t think we’re actually able to counter attack teams playing this way.
We’ve scored counter attacking goals but we’re not a consistent threat when playing so deep.

Post #472092  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:18 pm 

Slavia Prague are no mugs after what they did to Leicester.
If we dont take a healthy lead into the 2nd leg we will be in trouble

Post #472093  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:18 pm 

Rich wrote:

I agree that we lack energy, assuming that’s what you’re implying. Dare I say Guendouzi would improve our energy?

Post #472094  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:19 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It is much quoted on Same Old Arsenal podcast that this is the most expensive forward line in the PL. Arteta had 2 weeks to plan this game. I will have to look at it but we have failed to score in numerous home games this season.

Two questions for Arteta today - what are your PKI’s on the process and do you still think we will win the CL in 2 years - a selling point you made to Willian.

Post #472095  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:20 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Yes let’s sack the manager and get someone else in who can turn ceballos & El Nenny into the world class players they are. They should be running rings round Fabinho and Tiago shouldn’t they!

On the other hand should they be losing 3-0 at home and be lucky it was only 3? Let's face it it should have been 6-0. How many teams have Liverpool beaten 3-0 (or more) at the opponents ground this season?

There still a good team mate, how many players in their side would you take ? If we had Tiago Ødegaard wouldnt start, if we had Fabinho neither would ceballos. Loads, it’s just men againest boys.

We are a cut and shut design of a football team. The engine will fall out in sides in some games. We need to get to the summer and rebuild. It’s shite but it’s just where we are.

Post #472096  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:21 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

I don't think we can just blame the players either, Arteta picks the side and the tactics and is employed to get the very best technically, physically, mentally and motivationally out of the players he has at his disposal. 12 losses this season suggests he isn't getting that.

It’s one of those questions that’s impossible to answer though. A coach’s job is to motivate the players but a player should be able to motivate himself. We can all see when a player isn’t putting a shift in. I can’t think of any manager who instructs his players not to go at 100% effort.
Of course Arteta takes a portion of blame. I really don’t like the set up of the front 3, but with the players he had out there was little else for him to pick today. If people think the players played exactly to Arteta’s instructions tonight then sure put it all on the manager, but I think to absolve the players of any blame is crazy.

Post #472097  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

He had to start the game with 2 central midfield players on loan who probably know they won’t be at the club after this summer. 1 of whom shite anyway. We know what the problem is. We are a Porsche with a Morris minor engine in it.

So you are absolving Arteta of any criticism because we started the game with Ceballos and Ødegaard in midfield? A Spanish international and Norwegian captain at 22, both employed by the world's biggest club? I'll tell you what I was expecting, and expect every time we play - for us to give the opposition a game.

Post #472098  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:23 pm 

With Pépé's technical skills and dribbling ability he should be bamboozling fullbacks, in the way that Mahrez does, but he just does not possess the football brain or decision-making to turn that ability into consistent beating of his man. How often is he either dispossessed far too easily or just plays a lazy 2 yard ball back to his fullback.

Post #472099  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I agree that we lack energy, assuming that’s what you’re implying. Dare I say Guendouzi would improve our energy?

He’d add energy for sure but he’s nowhere near the answer to our midfield problems. He has a big major flaw in his game for me which is the inability to have a picture of the game in his mind before he receives the ball and to receive the ball on the half turn. If we want someone to run around a bit more than some of our players then put him in but thats not the level we should be aiming for

Post #472100  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Both of those midfielders are ones Arteta identified as improving our squad. I am sure you did not expect us to win because it has started dawning on you Arteta does not know what he is doing. But your Arteta played Aubameyang who did two fifths of f... all again. Liverpool have been terrible recently and Arteta, with his submissive behaviour gave them the game.

Post #472101  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

There still a good team mate, how many players in their side would you take ? If we had Tiago Ødegaard wouldnt start, if we had Fabinho neither would ceballos. Loads, it’s just men againest boys.

We are a cut and shut design of a football team. The engine will fall out in sides in some games. We need to get to the summer and rebuild. It’s shite but it’s just where we are.

Plenty of very inferior teams have given Liverpool a game this season, their run of defeats tells you that much.

Post #472102  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:27 pm 

socrates wrote:
With Pépé's technical skills and dribbling ability he should be bamboozling fullbacks, in the way that Mahrez does, but he just does not possess the football brain or decision-making to turn that ability into consistent beating of his man. How often is he either dispossessed far too easily or just plays a lazy 2 yard ball back to his fullback.

Agreed but also look at all the games he has played well and the positions on the pitch he receives the ball. He’s much higher and often more central. Today he seemed to have 3 players around him and was at least 40 yards from goal each time.
He’s been a disappointment but we need to look at the games when he has played well and see what the circumstances were that meant he did that.

Post #472103  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:28 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

So you are absolving Arteta of any criticism because we started the game with Ceballos and Ødegaard in midfield? A Spanish international and Norwegian captain at 22, both employed by the world's biggest club? I'll tell you what I was expecting, and expect every time we play - for us to give the opposition a game.

Well said. The acceptance of mediocrity by other posters is staggering.

Post #472104  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:29 pm 

Who thinks we missed Xhaka today?

Post #472105  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:31 pm 

DHD wrote:

He’s not one of my favourites but I agree.

Post #472106  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Agreed but also look at all the games he has played well and the positions on the pitch he receives the ball. He’s much higher and often more central. Today he seemed to have 3 players around him and was at least 40 yards from goal each time.
He’s been a disappointment but we need to look at the games when he has played well and see what the circumstances were that meant he did that.

Top players find a way to influence the game, even when time and space is limited.

You also have to ask the question if he has 3 players around him all game how was there not space available to the other players in our side to exploit. Pépé is a headless chicken, Lacazette runs around a lot and puts in a shift but lacks that pace to run in behind so we have no outball, Aubameyang is just a passenger out left if he doesn't score.

Post #472107  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm 

DHD wrote:

We did.

Partey has silky skills and produces moments of brilliance, intertwined with some moments of absolute mediocrity. Losing possession in dangerous areas for example.

Post #472108  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:43 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No, I think they were both on the beach today in a meaningless mid table contest. I absolutely think Arteta needs to assume responsibility but until we can restructure anyone is screwed with our lot.

Post #472109  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

He doesn’t get the service or didn’t today. That chipped ball from Fabinho between the lines to his left winger that had our full back on his toes. Our forwards need a quick early ball. Just didn’t come

Post #472110  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
Still major surgery required on this squad, been saying all season and the season before.

Don’t Arsenal have to pay the Bank of England £150m in eight weeks?

(1) If by major surgery you mean players out, I expect you to get your wish.
(2) If by major surgery you mean players out being replaced by players in equating to a net zero spend, then I imagine that’s the best we can hope for.
(3) If by major surgery you expect expenditure on new arrivals to exceed the amount received from selling players, I am not so confident especially as I thought Zed indicated reports that Stan Kroenke is being sued over the LA Rams move. If I’m wrong about that, then apologies to Zed.

Worryingly there are suggestions there’s another possible angle to this, related to the repayment of the Bank of England loan and presumably now Kroenke’s court case. Namely, funds received from players sold will not be put towards new recruits, but towards paying off actual or possible debts. Hopefully that won’t be the case. But I don’t think it’s impossible either. We’re a Stan Kroenke club.

Post #472111  Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:31 pm 

MOTD showed some interesting stats. Apparently this was Arteta’s 50th game in charge. They showed the records of the first 25 and last 25 together. Lineker said words to the effect there’s been no obvious improvement. But the brief glance I gave to the two sets of data gave me the impression the latter 25 was actually worse than the initial 25.

Post #472112  Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:10 am 

Aubameyang played like he didn't want to get his new dreads style in a twist. :8surprise:

Post #472113  Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:35 am 

Oh well, onwards to Europa instead. Whoever gets picked needs to give much much more than what was dished out yesterday. Too many players just did not put their heart into it.

Post #472114  Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:45 am 

Zed wrote:
Aubameyang played like he didn't want to get his new dreads style in a twist. :8surprise:

And he is our Captain, go figure :20hospitals:

Post #472115  Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:46 am 

Bernard wrote:
MOTD showed some interesting stats. Apparently this was Arteta’s 50th game in charge. They showed the records of the first 25 and last 25 together. Lineker said words to the effect there’s been no obvious improvement. But the brief glance I gave to the two sets of data gave me the impression the latter 25 was actually worse than the initial 25.

Losing faith in Arteta. Gives us hope in one match, then in the next, sigh!

Post #472116  Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:48 am 

DHD wrote:

With Ceballos in place of him yesterday, Xhaka was easily missed. Xhaka has been very good for us this season. I have never been convinced about Ceballos.

Post #472117  Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:34 am 

I loved the optimism from some quarters on here on our chances the rest of the season. I won't begrudge anyone for being optimistic. I just didn't see it from where I was sitting. I'd have loved to be wrong. Liverpool weren't that good. If I had to go with one word to describe us generally: inconsistent.

I like Arteta generally, but I get the feeling he's learning to be a PL manager at a big club at our expense. You can solve deficiencies at City with a cheque book. Yeah, its more than that, but bring in enough very skilled football players with a good football brain and they'll figure it out. Pretty much regardless of tactics. We don't remember the 'great Brazil managers', do we?

The intangibles that have been dogging us for several years now has not been resolved. We simply don't seem a side with belief, a purpose. We show moments of it. Don't know if I've seen 90 minutes of it save the 2 final matches of the cup last season.

It permeates the club no matter who we bring in, its in the air. Dare I say we reflect present ownership. Strip it all away and it starts at the top. As I've said since day 1. Anything we win will be in spite of Kroenke, not because of. I stopped watching American pro football and basketball because of people like Kroenke. It was why I was adamant he shouldn't be let into the club and as awful as Usmanov is, he'd have been better for the club. We traded 'respectability' for 'viability'. And with him also being a Trump supporter, even that is in question.

Although I hope against all hope we can win the Europa cup and get into Europe, a season without European football may chasten us or specifically Kroenke into action. He only understands ledger accounts. He'll ask questions as to why revenues are falling, if they (revenues) do, and someone will have to convince him the fundamentals of business. If you have a bad product, you will lose money.

Post #472118  Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:15 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I loved the optimism from some quarters on here on our chances the rest of the season. I won't begrudge anyone for being optimistic. I just didn't see it from where I was sitting. I'd have loved to be wrong. Liverpool weren't that good. If I had to go with one word to describe us generally: inconsistent.

Against all evidence to the contrary I’ve kept hope throughout that we would go on a run and move up the league table. Even up to the start of yesterday’s game.

That hope was totally crushed. Utterly depressing situation with no realistic hope in sight. We have no money and even if we did I’d expect us to waste it.

The challenge will be keeping players like Saka and Tierney.

Mediocre in the extreme.

Post #472119  Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:42 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Against all evidence to the contrary I’ve kept hope throughout that we would go on a run and move up the league table. Even up to the start of yesterday’s game.

That hope was totally crushed. Utterly depressing situation with no realistic hope in sight. We have no money and even if we did I’d expect us to waste it.

The challenge will be keeping players like Saka and Tierney.

Mediocre in the extreme.

You say we have no money but I’ve read Arsenal’s owner is richer than some financially doped clubs. Funny (in a curious not humorous context) you raise the possibility of losing Saka. The Metro recently discussed the possibility of Arsenal, as a last resort, selling him to fund transfer activity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 51641/amp/

Post #472120  Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:42 am 

Absolute *%^@*** muck yesterday.

[ 517581 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11800, 11801, 11802, 11803, 11804, 11805, 11806 ... 12940  Next