Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie and 274 guests

Post #497601  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
It’s strange, Man U are joint top but I really don’t rate Ole. Perhaps I need to adjust my view as he’s clearly doing something right but to me it seems he’s been quite lucky in games. Man U often going behind and having poor starts and first half’s to then turn it around. Credit of course for turning it round but the start of the game, the line up and the tactics are what Ole has planned for all week and he got it wrong so many times. It then seems he’s just bailed out by individual brilliance or a penalty.
It isn’t easy to set a platform to allow your best players to play to their best so he deserves credit for that but I still don’t see any kind of style or tactics from Ole that convinces me he really knows what he’s doing.

How many games this season have Man U been clearly the dominant team irrespective of the result?

They have been very lucky. Sometimes it's as if they have won games by accident. When the chips are down they usually falter too. Witness the way they fell apart in the CL. As for the penalties....it's nonsense.

Post #497602  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:50 pm 

Bitcoin over 24k quid. Wow.

Post #497603  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:51 pm 

We need a midfielder...asap.

Post #497604  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:54 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:
It’s strange, Man U are joint top but I really don’t rate Ole. Perhaps I need to adjust my view as he’s clearly doing something right but to me it seems he’s been quite lucky in games. Man U often going behind and having poor starts and first half’s to then turn it around. Credit of course for turning it round but the start of the game, the line up and the tactics are what Ole has planned for all week and he got it wrong so many times. It then seems he’s just bailed out by individual brilliance or a penalty.
It isn’t easy to set a platform to allow your best players to play to their best so he deserves credit for that but I still don’t see any kind of style or tactics from Ole that convinces me he really knows what he’s doing.

How many games this season have Man U been clearly the dominant team irrespective of the result?

They have been very lucky. Sometimes it's as if they have won games by accident. When the chips are down they usually falter too. Witness the way they fell apart in the CL. As for the penalties....it's nonsense.

MU hierarchy being Fergie most likely in part. Still has his hand in the pot. He's at every game. Big influence. Doesn't want his boy getting sacked.

Post #497605  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:25 pm 

Just read the suggestion that the reason we are not playing Saliba is that we have a debut clause in his contract to pay his former club 5 million the moment he plays for us and that’s paired with a 100k bonus for the player for each of his first 10 appearances he makes.

This would mean the club coughing up 6 million they possibly don’t have at a time during Covid when they are overridden with costs. That seems the most logical explanation I’ve heard yet of why he’s not involved. Even if he hadn’t blown them away by impressing in training or he had lost a loved one they still would have given him a run out v Dundalk,

If you remember Wenger rarely playing the Ox before the 71st minute in games because of the clause he had to pay saints a fee.

Seems to make sense

Post #497606  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:54 pm 

Zed wrote:
MU hierarchy being Fergie most likely in part. Still has his hand in the pot. He's at every game. Big influence. Doesn't want his boy getting sacked.

Wenger had his faults, to say the least, but at least he doesn’t keep turning up the Emirates for games. So credit to him for that. I remain to be convinced how helpful it is for Manchester United having Ferguson turn up for each game reviewing what’s happening at his former empire like a pensioned-off Mafia boss.

Post #497607  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Just read the suggestion that the reason we are not playing Saliba is that we have a debut clause in his contract to pay his former club 5 million the moment he plays for us and that’s paired with a 100k bonus for the player for each of his first 10 appearances he makes.

This would mean the club coughing up 6 million they possibly don’t have at a time during Covid when they are overridden with costs. That seems the most logical explanation I’ve heard yet of why he’s not involved. Even if he hadn’t blown them away by impressing in training or he had lost a loved one they still would have given him a run out v Dundalk,

If you remember Wenger rarely playing the Ox before the 71st minute in games because of the clause he had to pay saints a fee.

Seems to make sense

Oh wow. If true then that would explain it (sort of). It’s been truly baffling why we would pay so much money, stop him playing in the French cup final, and then not use him. Utterly bizarre really.

So a cost saving could explain it. Odd contract though. Surely we would have expected to play him, having bought him?

Post #497608  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:10 pm 

It’s been said before, it will be said again. Officiating (including VAR) is wildly inconsistent. Given what happened to us how is it even possible that there is no penalty for Zaha shoving someone in the face today?

Post #497609  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Wenger had his faults, to say the least, but at least he doesn’t keep turning up the Emirates for games. So credit to him for that. I remain to be convinced how helpful it is for Manchester United having Ferguson turn up for each game reviewing what’s happening at his former empire like a pensioned-off Mafia boss.

A bit like Busby many years ago. And that didn’t work well either.

Post #497610  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:18 pm 

Spare a thought for the 66 Rangers fans who died in the Ibrox disaster fifty years ago today. They were playing Celtic and losing 0-1 in injury time. Lots of Rangers fans were thus leaving early (although Rangers did equalise in injury time), when the infamous stairway 13 at Ibrox simply got so congested that 66 of them were crushed to death or suffocated.

So it was ironic (and for me, nice) that Rangers won today’s Old Firm derby at Ibrox, in the corresponding fixture exactly half a century later.

Post #497611  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:24 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

A bit like Busby many years ago. And that didn’t work well either.

Very true.

Post #497612  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:42 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Seems to make sense

Hi TG
Where did you read that??
I'm reading that we are actually willing to let saliba leave permanently after a meeting with the player last week.
If this is true then seriously what the *%^@ is going on with Arteta. He can play Mustafi over and over and play a novice in Runarsson but a player with superb potential that we spent 27m on gets treated disgracefully and not even allowed to show what he can do even against the likes of dundalk. This was a player considered better than his former colleague Fofana at leicester who is thriving and we wont even give him a chance.
Is this personal??
Is Edu actually going to approve signing a player we invested in without playing him.
Getting very uneasy on how Arteta is treating some players shabbily and not others.
No consistency. Really hope he isnt one of those vindictive guys who holds a grudge.
Treatment of Guendouzi suggests so.
Guendouzi on his way out.
Saliba possibly too?
I'm losing faith in Arteta and his bad decisions.

Post #497613  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:09 pm 

david.d wrote:
I'm reading that we are actually willing to let saliba leave permanently after a meeting with the player last week.
If this is true then seriously what the *%^@ is going on with Arteta.
Getting very uneasy on how Arteta is treating some players shabbily and not others.
No consistency. Really hope he isnt one of those vindictive guys who holds a grudge.
Saliba possibly too?

No idea if it’s true but I’ve seen a story that Arteta wants Saliba out but it’ll probably have to be on loan because we’ll lose so much against what we paid for him by selling him on a permanent transfer.

I agree with you about Arteta’s treatment of Guendouzi too. Okay, even if he’s a stroppy git, isn’t it for the manager to sort that out?

Post #497614  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
david.d wrote:
If this is true then seriously what the *%^@ is going on with Arteta.
Saliba possibly too?

No idea if it’s true but I’ve seen a story that Arteta wants Saliba out but it’ll probably have to be on loan because we’ll lose so much against what we paid for him by selling him on a permanent transfer.

The thing is though Bernard do you find it odd that even if Arteta doesnt rate Saliba at all and wants him out he hasnt even given him a few minutes off the bench in a minor game? Even if he suspected he wasn’t up to it surely he would have given him 20 minutes

Please bear in mind the number of minutes Eddie Nketiah gets for us and as far as I can see he looks a championship player at best. Yet Saliba is so poor he can’t be risked for 10 minutes againest Dundalk. Somethings odd about it.

Post #497615  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 pm 

Ceballos for Elneny and Lacazette for Martinelli, otherwise same as last time. Makes sense to ease Martinelli back so I understand that decision, and Ceballos for Elneny ok too as Mo's form has dipped a bit.

Post #497616  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:35 pm 

david.d wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Seems to make sense

Hi TG
Where did you read that??
If this is true then seriously what the *%^@ is going on with Arteta. He can play Mustafi over and over and play a novice in Runarsson but a player with superb potential that we spent 27m on gets treated disgracefully and not even allowed to show what he can do even against the likes of dundalk. This was a player considered better than his former colleague Fofana at leicester who is thriving and we wont even give him a chance.
Is this personal??
Is Edu actually going to approve signing a player we invested in without playing him.
Saliba possibly too?

A mate what’s app me about it. I haven’t seen it in the press yet.

For me it makes sense. Arteta was singing the guys praises the other week and saying he had some difficult issues he had experienced off the pitch. Does that sound like he’s got an attitude with the player ?

It would be so like Arsenal right now to make a business decision to not play a player because of financial reasons, remove him from the league squad then piss him off so much he wants to leave. The guys probably the next sol Campbell knowing our luck.

Post #497617  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The thing is though Bernard do you find it odd that even if Arteta doesnt rate Saliba at all and wants him out he hasnt even given him a few minutes off the bench in a minor game? Even if he suspected he wasn’t up to it surely he would have given him 20 minutes

Please bear in mind the number of minutes Eddie Nketiah gets for us and as far as I can see he looks a championship player at best. Yet Saliba is so poor he can’t be risked for 10 minutes againest Dundalk. Somethings odd about it.

I wouldn’t argue with that. It seems odd. As I’ve said here before, I’ve never seen Saliba kick a ball so I’m not in a position to say how good, bad or indifferent he is. I don’t watch Saint Ettiene or Arsenal’s under 23 games. But someone at the club felt he was worth an investment of £29m, so Arteta’s stance towards him does strike me as strange.

I agree about Nketiah too. I know he has his fans here but to me he looks underwhelming or ordinary. If we end up losing Balogun, who to me looks appreciably better, I’ll always have suspicions that if Arteta had given Balogun the playing time that Nketiah has had this season we could have kept him. I’m not saying Balogun will end up another Wright, but I just think there’s more chance of it than there is with Nketiah.

Post #497618  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:54 pm 

Just weird reflecting back. Barely 30 years since Man United were almost sold for £10/20 million (depending on which figure you believe) and Michael Knighton doing keepy-uppies on the pitch. Quite surreal.

Post #497619  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:58 pm 

Ffs Atkinson again........

Post #497620  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:00 pm 

Cracking weather.

Post #497621  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:19 pm 

Saka firing in some dangerous crosses from the right. Could easily be a goal up.

Post #497622  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:23 pm 

Tierney!!! :21encouragement: great goal :21encouragement:

Post #497623  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:24 pm 

Snow getting worse, please don't be abandoned

Post #497624  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:24 pm 

Stunningly awesome by Tierney. Left foot, right foot.

Post #497625  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:26 pm 

Great goal. Our best player this season

Post #497626  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:27 pm 

He’s been superb for several weeks and deserves that goal. Well done Kieran

Post #497627  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:28 pm 

What a goal :21encouragement: :21encouragement:

Post #497628  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:28 pm 

Wow. Just brilliant

Post #497629  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:29 pm 

Slick as a slick thing. Another awesome goal. Team effort for Saka to finish.

Post #497630  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:29 pm 

Smith Rowe. What’s he been eating this past few months?

Post #497631  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:30 pm 

2 that’s wonderful play from Smith Rowe

Well done son

Post #497632  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:30 pm 

Now stop snowing please

Post #497633  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:30 pm 

john1 wrote:

Not the same as Willian I’m pleased to observe.

Post #497634  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Just weird reflecting back. Barely 30 years since Man United were almost sold for £10/20 million (depending on which figure you believe) and Michael Knighton doing keepy-uppies on the pitch. Quite surreal.

Story was that a £10m deal was done between Knighton and Edwards to sell Man U - hands shaken and all done & dusted, whereupon Knighton shared with Edwards his plans for ‘his’ club. Those plans were the blueprint for the world-wide expansion of the Man U ‘brand’ - incredibly shrewd, visionary and innovative. Edwards listened. He heard. When there was a glitch in the legals, Edwards took the opportunity to get out of the deal. Several years later, having successfully implemented many of Knighton’s ideas, he sold his shares for an awful lot more.

Post #497635  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Not the same as Willian I’m pleased to observe.

:58big-emoticons:

Post #497636  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:33 pm 

Emile Smith Rowe is looking awesome

Post #497637  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:34 pm 

Great goal by Tierney and wonderful slick team goal.
Smith Rowe what a jewel!
Saka a treasure!!
Brilliant
Take that you fat walrus!!

Post #497638  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:34 pm 

Outstanding first half an hour.

Post #497639  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:34 pm 

DHD wrote:
Emile Smith Rowe is looking awesome

His progress compared to before his injury is absolutely amazing

Post #497640  Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:35 pm 

john1 wrote:
Now stop snowing please

Indeed. I'm worried this won't get completed.

[ 548398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12438, 12439, 12440, 12441, 12442, 12443, 12444 ... 13710  Next