Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf, mcquilkie, Rich and 278 guests

Post #513521  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:51 pm 

Sheff Utd take the lead away at Villa 0-1, in to injury time now. Who saw this result coming.
Not be fair sheff Utd did a good job of the low block and all our defence and as the game wore on they got more brave as Villa tired and ran out of ideas.

Post #513522  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:01 pm 

finishes 1-1 still good........

Post #513523  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:03 pm 

Finished 1-1. Slip up from Villa, they were brilliant against a very depleted City, we battered them but somehow contrived to not score. In the end they’re an Emery side, once teams work out that offside trap they’ll be yo-yoyo-ing 4-3’s before long. No real standout quality player wise either imo.

Post #513524  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:44 pm 

Happy Christmas to all. Keep well and love one another.

Post #513525  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:44 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

Compliments of the season to you and yours.

Post #513526  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:05 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

Happy Holidays (I lived in LA for many years, we keep it PC...lol) omoh. You are one of the true gems of the forum.

Despite some very heated, possibly over the line arguments, debates, from members on here over the years, you were always a polite person, spoke with reason, patience and you avoided (successfully by the way) any bullying and such antics.

Personally enjoyed (and wish you'd do far more) comments on Arsenal from before most of us were fans. Blessings to you and your family.

Post #513527  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:13 am 

Rich wrote:
Sheff Utd take the lead away at Villa 0-1, in to injury time now. Who saw this result coming.
Not be fair sheff Utd did a good job of the low block and all our defence and as the game wore on they got more brave as Villa tired and ran out of ideas.

Obviously completely unexpected. However, it must be said, Villa didn't play the same style and tempo against the Blades. I think they were over-confident and saw a win as a given to some extent.

Really nervous about today.

Post #513528  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:18 am 

He probably won't do it because Havertz scored, but I'd definitely go with Jorginho this evening. We're a tiny bit wobbly defensively on both flanks, given that White hasn't been quite at his best, and Zinny getting exposed against Salah and co doesn't bear thinking about.

I think we can hurt Liverpool but we need to be pragmatic and prepared to dig in. The last thing we need is a high octane end to end battle with the Anfield crowd wound up.

Post #513529  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:55 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Compliments of the season to you and yours.

Having the Arsenal game on the Saturday evening before Christmas, when one inevitably has some social obligation, is a bit of a low blow and puts a damper on the Christmas spirit.

Nevertheless, I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas that doesn't clash too much with the football!

Post #513530  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:33 am 

Rice leads the entire prem on attacking half interceptions and attacking third interceptions. Interceptions so much more important than tackles, interceptions mean you gain possession - tackles don’t.
It’s a big reason why we’ve had so much control in games, Rice can almost single handedly keep the opposition away from our goal.

Already has to be in the running for PFA player of the year

Post #513531  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:38 am 

Ash wrote:
Finished 1-1. Slip up from Villa, they were brilliant against a very depleted City, we battered them but somehow contrived to not score. In the end they’re an Emery side, once teams work out that offside trap they’ll be yo-yoyo-ing 4-3’s before long. No real standout quality player wise either imo.

I agree there is a period of adjustment to new high quality managers, spurs are enjoying this period as well and to some degree last season we benefited from this as well. But when you do well your opponents prepare for you much more than concentrate on their own game so it becomes increasingly more difficult.

Watkins has had a superb season, but his success is a lot to do with his movement and runs, running the channels and dragging CB where they don’t want to be when he has space. Sheff Utd made him operate in no space at all - worth remembering when we’re looking at a new striker. For us a striker has to be able to operate in tight spaces as they won’t get acres to run in to.

I think you’re right about Villa’s lack of real stand out quality player but they don’t necessarily have a weak link and I think they have plenty of players who could easily slot in to the top 3 sides in the league and not look out of place. Martinez (through gritted teeth) is quality, Pau Torres looks classy, Douglas Luiz, Diaby, Watkins could all do jobs for better sides.

Post #513532  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:41 am 

Decaf wrote:
He probably won't do it because Havertz scored, but I'd definitely go with Jorginho this evening. We're a tiny bit wobbly defensively on both flanks, given that White hasn't been quite at his best, and Zinny getting exposed against Salah and co doesn't bear thinking about.

I think we can hurt Liverpool but we need to be pragmatic and prepared to dig in. The last thing we need is a high octane end to end battle with the Anfield crowd wound up.

I think Jorginho is still injured. White has apparently been carrying a knock.
Hopefully Liverpool are equally fearful of Tsimikas up against Salah and Klopp’s favourite Martinelli up against Trent. Our left side will be a fascinating game of poker. Both full backs get forward and in to midfield to get on the ball. Salah rarely tracks back so how to the teams balance defending against the space they might have when they attack.

Post #513533  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:44 am 

I think today particularly early on when Liverpool will want to come out high press and high tempo we’re going to need to use the longer ball more often. Then it is all about winning those second balls and duels.

Start losing too many of them and the crowd get up. Even basic dawdling on a ball in defence that just gets blocked out for our throw will fire up a home crowd even though it does absolutely nothing in the actual game.

We must be sharp from the first whistle, take our time where needed, take as much of the early sting out of it as possible and be brave on the ball and move it quickly…..and fight like dogs!

Post #513534  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:45 am 

Rich wrote:
Ash wrote:

I agree there is a period of adjustment to new high quality managers, spurs are enjoying this period as well and to some degree last season we benefited from this as well. But when you do well your opponents prepare for you much more than concentrate on their own game so it becomes increasingly more difficult.

Watkins has had a superb season, but his success is a lot to do with his movement and runs, running the channels and dragging CB where they don’t want to be when he has space. Sheff Utd made him operate in no space at all - worth remembering when we’re looking at a new striker. For us a striker has to be able to operate in tight spaces as they won’t get acres to run in to.

I think you’re right about Villa’s lack of real stand out quality player but they don’t necessarily have a weak link and I think they have plenty of players who could easily slot in to the top 3 sides in the league and not look out of place. Martinez (through gritted teeth) is quality, Pau Torres looks classy, Douglas Luiz, Diaby, Watkins could all do jobs for better sides.

Hi Rich, no weak links is a great way to describe their squad. But I’m not sure they have many game breakers. Top 4 squad atm for sure. I’m sore about our loss to them and I’ll be marking the return for revenge.

That list of players is the exact one I had as ones I’d be happy to have in our squad. I feel like I could be a bit more appreciative of them, but to their credit I see them as rivals so I’m just invested in them failing.

Very interesting comments about Ollie Watkins, I’ve felt he’s not “top” tier, and I wonder really is he just a small step above Nketiah, but you’re right he’s also not the type of striker we need. Original Ronaldo would do it I think :icon_mrgreen:

Post #513535  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:59 am 

Rich wrote:
I think today particularly early on when Liverpool will want to come out high press and high tempo we’re going to need to use the longer ball more often. Then it is all about winning those second balls and duels.

Start losing too many of them and the crowd get up. Even basic dawdling on a ball in defence that just gets blocked out for our throw will fire up a home crowd even though it does absolutely nothing in the actual game.

We must be sharp from the first whistle, take our time where needed, take as much of the early sting out of it as possible and be brave on the ball and move it quickly…..and fight like dogs!

Had the same thought, managers invariably think different to us fans so I wonder what Arteta has in store? Raya dribbling the ball out no doubt!!

Post #513536  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:09 pm 

I know they’ve got injuries but that Man U line up for the game v West Ham is awful. West Ham have the better team on paper easily I’d say

Post #513537  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:54 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich, no weak links is a great way to describe their squad. But I’m not sure they have many game breakers. Top 4 squad atm for sure. I’m sore about our loss to them and I’ll be marking the return for revenge.

That list of players is the exact one I had as ones I’d be happy to have in our squad. I feel like I could be a bit more appreciative of them, but to their credit I see them as rivals so I’m just invested in them failing.

Very interesting comments about Ollie Watkins, I’ve felt he’s not “top” tier, and I wonder really is he just a small step above Nketiah, but you’re right he’s also not the type of striker we need. Original Ronaldo would do it I think :icon_mrgreen:

It is why I'm always wary of both CB and Striker links when the teams they play in don't necessarily play a dominant front foot style of football. Even going back to the Vardy bid we made, the typical game we have to play didn't really suit his strengths. Maguire looking great at Leicester then ropey at Man U is another, being asked to defend 1v1 with 40 yards of space behind him - exposing his weaknesses, but at Leicester they were hidden.
I can see how a target man striker would benefit us, both in general play for holding it up and certainly from crosses against packed defences. But as a leading striker who is going to snaffle every chance we create the list of strikers able to improve us in that regard is maybe only 15-20 in the world, if you then omit the ones that aren't attainable (Kane, Haaland etc) then you're probably down to under 10 strikers in the world.

Post #513538  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:08 pm 

West Ham lead Man U 1-0. Bowen with the goal, he's some player. I think when Salah decides he leaves Liverpool (possibly to Saudi) I think Liverpool will go for Bowen on their right side.

Not only would Bowen, Pacqueta and Kudus walk in to this Man U side, they'd be their best 3 players!

Post #513539  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:11 pm 

West Ham 2-0 Man U now.

I still maintain Man U are in a false position in the league. They really are a mid table team. They've snatched results in games they didn't deserve to win and didn't dominate, they did it loads of times last season as well

Post #513540  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:21 pm 

These are pointless probably, but they are fun. Hard to argue too much with this, although both fullbacks inverting is perhaps a bit much :laughing7:

Attachments:

Post #513541  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:25 pm 

:42laughter: Utd falling apart
Attachment:

Post #513542  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:52 pm 

There must be var reviews for 2nd yellow cards. They have the same impact on the game as a straight red which var will decide on. Var acts on straight reds, goals and penalties - it needs to add in 2nd yellow cards as the 4 biggest game changing things that happen in games

Post #513543  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:35 pm 

Raya, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Rice, Havertz, Ødegaard, Saka, Martinelli, Jesus.
Subs: Ramsdale, Cédric, Kiwior, Jorginho, Elneny, Smith Rowe, Nelson, Trossard, Nketiah.

Post #513544  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:44 pm 

Same 11 for us.
Liverpool have picked Jones and Gakpo over the more erratic (and possibly talented) Gravenbach and Nunes. Klopp has possibly sacrificed a bit of heavy metal football for the better technical control those two give him

Post #513545  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:30 pm 

This ref's a homer. Don't expect too much from him. We just must play them off the park.

Come on you Gooners.............

Post #513546  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:34 pm 

I think VAR will give it offside

Post #513547  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:35 pm 

Aaaaaaaaahhhh!!! *%^@*** have that!!! Ugh checking VAR

Post #513548  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:35 pm 

Gabby !!!!

Post #513549  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:36 pm 

As I was saying…

AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! *%^@*** HAVE THAT!!!!!!

Post #513550  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:36 pm 

Yes, finally VAR can't find a way to cheat us of a legitimate goal.

Gabriel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #513551  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:37 pm 

What a start! Big header Gabriel. 1-0

Post #513552  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:58 pm 

Liverpool denied a stonewall penalty.

Post #513553  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:00 pm 

I was about to say Zinchenko is very much the weak link against Salah.

Post #513554  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:00 pm 

Zinny easily beaten by Salah :20hospitals:

Post #513555  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:00 pm 

Salah - of course .... :36angers:

Post #513556  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:00 pm 

Zinchenko is a defensive liability. I knew it before the game.

Post #513557  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:01 pm 

Walked right past Zinchenko there ....

Post #513558  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:01 pm 

How can Zinchenko be so effin naïve?

Post #513559  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:02 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Zinchenko is a defensive liability. I knew it before the game.

What dissappoints me is once he lost it he made no attempt to get the ball or the man.

Post #513560  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:05 pm 

Klopp injures Tsimikas :laughing7:

[ 517581 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12836, 12837, 12838, 12839, 12840, 12841, 12842 ... 12940  Next