Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], john1, mcquilkie and 281 guests

Post #500321  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Just cancel the whole season I reckon. Keep the mourning going till May :58big-emoticons:

That will be two of the past three seasons totally distorted and buggered up. The World Cup was always going to have a massive impact. This has just blown it out of the water.

Totally pissed off.

Post #500322  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:54 pm 

And totally baffled as to why the game against PSV wasn’t switched so that we’d play away this week and home later.

Post #500323  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:21 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
And totally baffled as to why the game against PSV wasn’t switched so that we’d play away this week and home later.

I think the logistics of ticketing and PSV having to organise themselves to host a game they didn't expect to be hosting would cause too much of a problem even if they said no away fans it would be a logistical nightmare to do all that is required in the space of a few days

Post #500324  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:23 pm 

Zed wrote:
Not certain anyone's noticed, but Chelsea's CL match at home against Salzburg on Wednesday hasn't been postponed. Odd that. Still London.

The only reason I've seen is our game is 24 hours closer to the actual funeral so puts greater pressure on resources.

Perhaps with our european game gone our game v Brentford could be moved to the Saturday and with only 17,000 fans to police instead of 60,000 for a game at the emirates it could still be played - I doubt it though.

We're bloody unlucky that we've not scheduled to play away in europe this week and that our league game whilst away is also scheduled to be in London.

Post #500325  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:26 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Just cancel the whole season I reckon. Keep the mourning going till May :58big-emoticons:

That will be two of the past three seasons totally distorted and buggered up. The World Cup was always going to have a massive impact. This has just blown it out of the water.

Totally pissed off.

It’s inexplicable they didn’t play Sundays game considering the pressure being put on London police around the time of the funeral that was inevitable. Games were obviously going to get moved so at least get one out of the way but apparently they didn’t because of visible booing because of the monarchy or a negative public reaction. I think Celtic aside the response would be largely really positive

In no other business could you be this disorganised. Any major project would be in penalties and people losing their jobs. Football just carries on and the fans are utter mugs

Post #500326  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:28 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

What might have made sense is if both clubs agreed to play the game with a vastly reduced attendance due to exceptional conditions or even behind closed doors.

Post #500327  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I think the logistics of ticketing and PSV having to organise themselves to host a game they didn't expect to be hosting would cause too much of a problem even if they said no away fans it would be a logistical nightmare to do all that is required in the space of a few days

Really? Logistical nightmare? Not that difficult.

And they had a few days to consider the possibility now. Surely they must have been exploring that option.

Post #500328  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

What might have made sense is if both clubs agreed to play the game with a vastly reduced attendance due to exceptional conditions or even behind closed doors.

Yes. That too.

Post #500329  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:50 pm 

Christmas Day

8am Open presents
9am Arsenal v Everton
11am Arsenal v PSV
1pm Turkey
3pm Kings Speech
5pm Brentford v Arsenal

Post #500330  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
Yes you are surely right. It is so easy to forget just how much goes into scheduling and putting on live football matches. So great is the expectation and the spectacle, the logistics are far from people's minds.

Post #500331  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:08 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
Bit sloshed so forgive me. Very agreeable bottle of Williamette Pinot Noir in the rear view mirror.

Curious as to the age range of the forumites…

Born Hamilton NZ ; April 1945

..... got to say your drinking needs a bit of fine tuning Andy ; instead of sniffing fumes and simpering with your little finger stuck out try imbibing 3/4 of a 1100 ml bottle of Captain Morgan .

Ah Pete....I'm a light weight these days....not that I was really very much of a heavy weight....I'm not tough like you....I imagine you to look like Desperate Dan from yesteryear....holding your socks up with drawing pins and using a blow torch to shave.

Post #500332  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:14 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
Curious as to the age range of the forumites…
Thanks for your enjoyable post Andy. I imagine you have come across it, but if not Jerry White's book Campbell Bunk is well worth a read.

As for me, born 1950 in South London; raised the son of a Smithfield Meat Market father and an early morning office cleaner mother - the most giving of parents who backed me in whatever I chose to do. I have two wonderful younger sisters; a wife of getting on for 47 years (a proper Bermondsey girl); one son who lives in Canada with his beautiful wife and our almost two-year old granddaughter - the jewels of our lives. I was fortunate to attend an achieving comprehensive school off the Old Kent Road where the teachers were good enough to get me to University College, London. After the obligatory larking about in the late 60s and early 70s (including travel to Franco's Spain and Salazar's Portugal) my career was in local government, most latterly as a manager of capital projects. Now retired, I am quite pleased with some of the schemes I worked on, especially the parks, sports and leisure ones - you will have heard little of any of them, but perhaps the Peckham Library might ring a bell?

Arsenal of course through my dad and grandad - Millwall too (you had too in my neighbourhood) and latterly Dartford FC. I love all varieties of music but can't play a note; enjoy cinema, books, most sports and am a self-published local historian, from which I get nothing but pleasure. Still believe Pele is the greatest of all time and that the Gunners will one day win the league again.

Thanks OMOH...lovely stuff.....have read a couple of books many years ago about Campbell Road.....tough place by the sound of it.....I'll always remember a photo from one of these books...it was taken during the Second World War and showed a big banner across the Street that read "Poor but Loyal"

With you all the way on Pele...by a mile.!

Post #500333  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Which would mean Arsenal losing out on a lot of money they'd normally make from a full match day.

If we win our group games v Bodo/Glimt and then beat PSV away we could potentially afford to forfeit the home game v PSV anyway if we're in a position to already have guaranteed top spot in the group. Or if top spot is guaranteed then just send the U21's to play them.

Post #500334  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:46 pm 

Brentford is going ahead at 12pm Sunday

Post #500335  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:
Not certain anyone's noticed, but Chelsea's CL match at home against Salzburg on Wednesday hasn't been postponed. Odd that. Still London.

Outrageous.

And yes… we had noticed.

Add Championship match Millwall v QPR still on as well for Weds.

Post #500336  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
I've read there is nowhere in the calendar to fit the Arsenal v PSV match between now and the world cup - as the game must be finished before the group stage.

One option is postponing the match v City in the league on Oct 19th and playing it then.
Or, we play it the same midweek as the League Cup game and field a youth team in one of the two games (depending where we sit in Europa league)

The rules state if you cant fulfill your game the member association (us) forfeits the game. If it comes to that there will be uproar! :8surprise:

Forfeiting it would just be the cherry on the cake wouldn’t it.

Shame this isn’t all happening two months from now during the World Cup. Or even during the International break.

I agree. Bloody inconsiderate of her maj to peg it when she did. Surely one of the staff could have checked the fixtures.

Post #500337  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:04 pm 

Rich wrote:

Pleasantly surprised, aka amazed.

That strongly suggests that the Met didn’t fancy the Dutch turning up en masse on Thursday then.

Post #500338  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:37 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

That strongly suggests that the Met didn’t fancy the Dutch turning up en masse on Thursday then.

Van Nistelroy and crew most likely will find a forfeit preferable. Especially Arsenal. :bs:

Post #500339  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:40 pm 

Zed wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Van Nistelroy and crew most likely will find a forfeit preferable. Especially Arsenal. :bs:

Edit - Meant the fact it is Arsenal who'd have to forfeit if no open slot to have the match is available.

Post #500340  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:38 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
I agree. Bloody inconsiderate of her maj to peg it when she did. Surely one of the staff could have checked the fixtures.

Attachment:

Post #500341  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:48 pm 

warrior wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Attachment:

:1laughter:

Post #500342  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:09 pm 

Chelsea at home on Wednesday is ON
Arsenal at home on Thursday is OFF
Chelsea at home on Saturday is OFF
Spurs at home on Saturday is ON
Brentford at home on Sunday is ON

not sure I follow the logic but good to have a game!

Post #500343  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:12 pm 

Rich wrote:

They seem to be cancelling games which they anticipate would need higher policing.

Why else would such as Brighton vs Palace get the chop?

Post #500344  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:38 pm 

Zed wrote:
Zed wrote:

Edit - Meant the fact it is Arsenal who'd have to forfeit if no open slot to have the match is available.

As a matter of principle Arsenal should not have to forfeit the game. Under any circumstances. I’m sure the game will be fitted in somewhere or in my view Arsenal should get compensation from the police if it’s them who has insisted on the postponement of next Thursday’s game.

It isn’t a national emergency. The country isn’t being bombed. A 96 year lady has died, and not even unexpectedly.

Post #500345  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:30 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

As a matter of principle Arsenal should not have to forfeit the game. Under any circumstances. I’m sure the game will be fitted in somewhere or in my view Arsenal should get compensation from the police if it’s them who has insisted on the postponement of next Thursday’s game.

It isn’t a national emergency. The country isn’t being bombed. A 96 year lady has died, and not even unexpectedly.

Bernard I'd read after I posted this that Arsenal most likely won't have to forfeit at all. Being they've already played in one EL match, which was against Zurich. Like you and everyone else, hopefully a neutral ground can be found, even if it isn't at the Ems, to move things along. Unfortunately, there's no predicting when a person will die.

Post #500346  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:03 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

They seem to be cancelling games which they anticipate would need higher policing.

If that is the reason, and it makes sense for it to be, it still doesn’t quite make sense why our game v PSV requiring Police for 60k fans is off when spurs can stage a game for 60k fans two days closer to the funeral and Chelsea can host a European game for 45k fans the day before.

I thought the Brighton palace game was cut because of the rail strikes originally, they’ve kept it cut because of policing I’d guess.

Post #500347  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:10 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Bernard I'd read after I posted this that Arsenal most likely won't have to forfeit at all. Being they've already played in one EL match, which was against Zurich. Like you and everyone else, hopefully a neutral ground can be found, even if it isn't at the Ems, to move things along. Unfortunately, there's no predicting when a person will die.

Many deaths are unexpected but there are often very good indications when a person will die. My wife works it a hospice and the clinical staff know when anyone is ‘on their way out’ as they’re put on end of life care and the family is called to come and be with him or her whatever the time of day or night.

For example, Steve Braddock was sent home to die because that’s what he and his family wanted. The Queen was on her way out and I’m sure it was obvious to even the non-clinician Liz Truss when she was appointed Prime Minister.

The reaction to a 96 year old lady’s sad passing has in my honest been way over the top. Have the BBC and ITV covered anything else for four days? It is time to move on and, importantly, there are far more visible ways of showing her the respect many feel she deserves. Black armbands and minute silences, or even singing the national anthem before games as they did at the test match against South Africa would in my view be a better way of remembering her, showing respect, or even enabling people to show grief.

Post #500348  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:14 am 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

If that is the reason, and it makes sense for it to be, it still doesn’t quite make sense why our game v PSV requiring Police for 60k fans is off when spurs can stage a game for 60k fans two days closer to the funeral and Chelsea can host a European game for 45k fans the day before.

I thought the Brighton palace game was cut because of the rail strikes originally, they’ve kept it cut because of policing I’d guess.

You are quite right in that the whole thing seems to be riddled with anomalies.

It appears to be judgemental.

Post #500349  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:33 am 

Cancelled hospital appointments at a time of massive pressure and backlog on the system. Just doesn’t seem right

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/nhs-ca ... k-holiday/

Post #500350  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:34 am 

Drown. It’s what she would have wanted

Attachments:

Post #500351  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:39 am 

Sending youngsters on loan is a good thing but I can’t help feel this could be a mistake given his performance the other day was so mature and his physique is incredible for his age.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19774800 ... -transfer/

Post #500352  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:11 am 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Everything that I have read today strongly suggests that there is a real chance of it having to be forfeited. Same as Tottenham had to when affected by covid.

That would make it difficult to come top in the group. Finishing second gives you an extra round to play, and that would be against a side dropping out of the Champions League.

Post #500353  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:20 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Many deaths are unexpected but there are often very good indications when a person will die. My wife works it a hospice and the clinical staff know when anyone is ‘on their way out’ as they’re put on end of life care and the family is called to come and be with him or her whatever the time of day or night.

For example, Steve Braddock was sent home to die because that’s what he and his family wanted. The Queen was on her way out and I’m sure it was obvious to even the non-clinician Liz Truss when she was appointed Prime Minister.

The reaction to a 96 year old lady’s sad passing has in my honest been way over the top. Have the BBC and ITV covered anything else for four days? It is time to move on and, importantly, there are far more visible ways of showing her the respect many feel she deserves. Black armbands and minute silences, or even singing the national anthem before games as they did at the test match against South Africa would in my view be a better way of remembering her, showing respect, or even enabling people to show grief.

Actually last Tuesday was the worst I've seen the Queen look in a photo there with Truss.
She appeared very ill looking. Well there are times when based on a person's overall condition and possible unresponsiveness, they're at the end of life. Lots of indications in general.
Oh the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war still makes good copy.

Post #500354  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:34 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

Everything that I have read today strongly suggests that there is a real chance of it having to be forfeited. Same as Tottenham had to when affected by covid.

That would make it difficult to come top in the group. Finishing second gives you an extra round to play, and that would be against a side dropping out of the Champions League.

That simply isn’t acceptable. What game did Tottenham forfeit because of Covid?

Post #500355  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:07 am 

The only way out of it is if they move the city match on October 19 back after Christmas and slot PSV in then. Only thing that will work. You probably need city to agree that though

If Arsenal have to forfeit the game they would lose around 3.1 million in match day revenue plus win bonuses plus couldnt top their group because an admittedly nice old woman died.

Post #500356  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:51 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

This one, where it dumped them out of the competition.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/tottenh ... efa-ruling

Post #500357  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:13 am 

Now being told to work from home when a few months ago homeworkers were all lazy and selfish

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-famil ... lm-london/

Post #500358  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:19 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

This one, where it dumped them out of the competition.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/tottenh ... efa-ruling

Thanks, but wasn’t that the one they wanted or weren’t bothered about being dumped out of?

Post #500359  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:37 am 

So when Chelsea are allowed to play a home European tie tomorrow, why aren’t Arsenal allowed to play their home European tie on Thursday, which is four days before the funeral? Why does an extra 24 hours in the midweek before the funeral make such a difference, especially when Premier League games are being played this weekend?

Post #500360  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
So when Chelsea are allowed to play a home European tie tomorrow, why aren’t Arsenal allowed to play their home European tie on Thursday, which is four days before the funeral? Why does an extra 24 hours in the midweek before the funeral make such a difference, especially when Premier League games are being played this weekend?

I couldn’t agree more. It’s arbitrary and nonsensical.

[ 520210 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12506, 12507, 12508, 12509, 12510, 12511, 12512 ... 13006  Next