Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf, mcquilkie, warrior and 281 guests

Post #472441  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:47 pm 

The missus and I have won the Lottery !

Attachment:

Please respect our privacy as our family decides how to move forward in this exciting and pivotal moment in time.

Post #472442  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:55 pm 

Brentford 2 goals up on Swansea. Go Brentford!

Post #472443  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:56 pm 

warrior wrote:
The missus and I have won the Lottery !

Attachment:
Lotto.jpg

Please respect our privacy as our family decides how to move forward in this exciting and pivotal moment in time.

The minute you walked in the joint
I could see you were a man of distinction

Post #472444  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:00 pm 

Welcome to the EPL, Brentford!

Post #472445  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:18 pm 

Didn't know a thing about Brentford till Hodd introduced me to it on here and one or two of you said some wonderful things about them so I've adopted them. And I'm so happy for them. So happy.

Post #472446  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:58 pm 

£51 million? Hopefully not. https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... rMBp42FLh8

Post #472447  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:00 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Didn't know a thing about Brentford till Hodd introduced me to it on here and one or two of you said some wonderful things about them so I've adopted them. And I'm so happy for them. So happy.

They used to be the answer to a great pub quiz question. But they’ve ruined it by moving to a new ground.

Post #472448  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

Hi Soc,

How concrete those links are remains to be seen, but this is why I think making 70-100M from player sales is pie in the sky. I’m sure we say something similar every season, 15m for so and so, 20M for him, etc And at the end of it we’re at 75M. It rarely if ever works like that.

I wouldn’t be so sure about this, in 2019 we generated 50 million in player sales. I don’t think it’s a pie in the sky suggestion to say we could generate 70 million. The suggestion is mavrapanos could go for 5-10 million. Marseille are interested in Guendouzi who would accommodate something like a 15 million fee. Then you have 3 English youngsters who could potentially go for 20 each.

True. Most of that was Iwobi who we robbed Everton for really. If Willock goes for a fair whack maybe but I remain quite skeptical. Let’s see what the figure is come August, I’ll be happy to say I was wrong.

My reasoning is I think your valuation for Guendouzi is too high considering he’s got a year left, Nketiah - 1 year left. M-N we were offered only 15 back when he was busy starting in the FA Cuo final and getting an England call up. Add to that the logistical challenge of moving on so many players, and mostly underneath all of this everyone is trying to fill a massive financial hole from the obvious. As I say, I’d be delighted to be proved wrong.

Post #472449  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:03 pm 

Guardiola deserved that I’m afraid to say.

This starting without a proper striker stuff is so old and tired. False 9 bollocks

Reeks of a coach in love with himself behaving too cocky. You have 10 outfield players why can’t you sacrifice one to be a proper forward. Arteta take note

Post #472450  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:08 pm 

Delighted that City continue to, relatively, keep sh*tting the bed in Europe.

*%^@ them, *%^@ their project, *%^@ their lies and their power grab and their money. *%^@ their Agüero moment - ooh you scored past related QPR with 25 times the investment clap clap. *%^@ Pep and his free Cataluña activism whilst being a mouth piece for those disgraceful *%^@ in Abu Dhabi.

Devastated that Chelsea have won but ultimately as South Park so eloquently put it, it was a choice between a giant douche and a sh*t sandwich.

Post #472451  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:09 pm 

*%^@*** hate Chelsea.
Really hate them.
Fair play to them.
They deserved it.
Not sure I'm ever going to see us win the CL in my lifetime.
We are so far away from it and that hurts.

Post #472452  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:12 pm 

david.d wrote:
*%^@*** hate Chelsea.
Really hate them.
Fair play to them.
They deserved it.

Just so I can prepare myself, how long are you planning to have left??

Post #472453  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:29 pm 

Ash wrote:

*%^@ them, *%^@ their project, *%^@ their lies and their power grab and their money. *%^@ their Agüero moment - ooh you scored past related QPR with 25 times the investment clap clap. *%^@ Pep and his free Cataluña activism whilst being a mouth piece for those disgraceful *%^@ in Abu Dhabi.

Devastated that Chelsea have won but ultimately as South Park so eloquently put it, it was a choice between a giant douche and a sh*t sandwich.

Feel entirely similar

The fake romanticism about city is unsurd and Pépé is an alternate version of the snide Mourinho used to be.

Post #472454  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:32 pm 

I am sure Giroud has missed Arsenal every day since we sold him.

Post #472455  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

This starting without a proper striker stuff is so old and tired. False 9 bollocks

Reeks of a coach in love with himself behaving too cocky. You have 10 outfield players why can’t you sacrifice one to be a proper forward. Arteta take note

Absolutely. It was an arrogant and stupid line-up. No striker and no defensive Rodri/Fernandino. They win the league comfortably and in their most important game of all, he comes up with a line-up they haven't played all season.

Aguero must be furious. Probably their greatest ever player, certainly one of them. He gets a few minutes in the CL final they have been chasing for years.

A classic Pep horror- show.

Post #472456  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:06 pm 

Ash wrote:
david.d wrote:
*%^@*** hate Chelsea.
Really hate them.
Fair play to them.
They deserved it.

Just so I can prepare myself, how long are you planning to have left??

:42laughter:

Post #472457  Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:31 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Absolutely. It was an arrogant and stupid line-up. No striker and no defensive Rodri/Fernandino. They win the league comfortably and in their most important game of all, he comes up with a line-up they haven't played all season.

Aguero must be furious. Probably their greatest ever player, certainly one of them. He gets a few minutes in the CL final they have been chasing for years.

It’s identical in its absurdity to our semi againest Villareal. Felt very familiar. He literally cost them that match

Post #472458  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:28 am 

How ironical
Both clubs in Manchester were favourites to win their respective European Finals
And both lost
Wonder what odds were given for this paired betting?

Post #472459  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:30 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

He is one of many who won medals after leaving Arsenal. Congratulations to him.

Arsenal needs to get more ambitious before the younger stars start looking for outlets after more fruitless years.

Won't be surprised to see a few older players with market value move away this summer. Don't think they can see any major trophies coming our way in the next couple years.

Post #472460  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

It’s identical in its absurdity to our semi againest Villareal. Felt very familiar. He literally cost them that match

Agree, absurd to try this when a major win is so near.

Post #472461  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:29 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Arsenal needs to get more ambitious before the younger stars start looking for outlets after more fruitless years.

Won't be surprised to see a few older players with market value move away this summer. Don't think they can see any major trophies coming our way in the next couple years.

Last week it was Coquelin. Apparently he was very happy Sir Alex was at the final. Ferguson apparently mentioned him in his book about our 8-2 defeat and said that he had disappeared and never did anything in football (paraphrasing). Well disappeared until he took a penalty.

Post #472462  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:25 am 

I'm very happy for Giroud. I've always thought he got the short end of the stick with Arsenal fans. He came as an RvP replacement and he was never, ever going to live up to that. Ever. He was blamed for shortcomings that were simply not in his locker (pace for example). He was not an established player that came in with a great CV. He was a roll of a dice. He had to move up to a big club as an unproven player for a big club. When he came on as a super sub, he got goals. He needed the right system around him. He's a 6 yard box striker. Chelsea knew they were getting a gem and he became popular with their fans. He came off the bench for them and did the same, score when needed more often than not.

He always respected us after how he left and never maligned the club like some players like Clichy he owes his whole senior career at the top level because of Wenger despite him being an error prone player that has cost us more goals than a left back should.

I hate Chelsea with a passion and was hoping City would win but at least Giroud got a CL medal on his CV and so did the American player.

Post #472463  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

Hi TG,

It was, although I thought Chelsea were very impressive. A mix of defensive solidity, midfield tenacity and counter-attacking threat.

Kante is an exceptional footballer. To think we preferred Xhaka over him when he was available from Leicester.

One of the ironies is that for all Timo Werner's woeful misses he is an absolute handful with his pace and movement, a right menace. If he learns to finish he could be a worldbeater.

Post #472464  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:11 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

I'm sure the Liverpool tarts missed him as well.

Post #472465  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 am 

Reports in l'equipe that Marseille are interested in taking Saliba on loan.
Seems very strange they are even trying when Arteta himself has said he will be coming back for pre season training.
Something just not right here.
Have a horrible feeling Saliba could go this summer.
Just this nagging feeling Arteta just doesnt fancy him.
Also fact we are being linked with other centre backs doesnt bode well.
Hope I'm wrong.

Post #472466  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:00 am 

Anyone heard anything about Miguel Azeez.
I'm sure his contract runs out june this year

Post #472467  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:06 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

Feel entirely similar

The fake romanticism about city is unsurd and Pépé is an alternate version of the snide Mourinho used to be.

? What did Pépé do? What did I miss?

Post #472468  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:27 am 

Ash wrote:

:58big-emoticons: although I wish it could have been someone other than Chelsea *&*$%& More like two *%^@ sandwiches, one with mayo and the other without a clue.

Post #472469  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:28 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Last week it was Coquelin. Apparently he was very happy Sir Alex was at the final. Ferguson apparently mentioned him in his book about our 8-2 defeat and said that he had disappeared and never did anything in football (paraphrasing). Well disappeared until he took a penalty.

Oh yes, Coquelin is a winner as well. Forgot he is in the Villareal team. Congratulations Le Coq!

Post #472470  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:38 am 

david.d wrote:
Reports in l'equipe that Marseille are interested in taking Saliba on loan.
Seems very strange they are even trying when Arteta himself has said he will be coming back for pre season training.
Something just not right here.
Have a horrible feeling Saliba could go this summer.
Just this nagging feeling Arteta just doesnt fancy him.
Also fact we are being linked with other centre backs doesnt bode well.
Hope I'm wrong.

I think Arseblog said If Arteta goes to Edu (Or whoever is in charge of these things??!!) and says I want a CB he should be told firmly no, use what you’ve got let’s focus on getting a working bloody midfield this summer!!

The CBS we’ve got hardly seem like the main problem in this team and chasing after a new one when we’ve got other priorities seems like a strange vanity project.

Post #472471  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:38 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Feel entirely similar

Well I missed Clichy maligning Arsenal, which according to our friend from across the Atlantic he did.

Post #472472  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:46 am 

I think I’d be fine with a back 4 of Chambers - Holding -Gabriel - Tierney with Saliba and Mari as back ups. Anyone particularly upset with if we went into this season with that? Frankly I’m delighted Luiz is gone. The constant encouragement he gave to every opposition forward line wasn’t worth his distribution IMO.

If anything we need backup Right and Left backs. If Bellerin doesn’t go he can back up chambers who can also play at CB. Defo need a left footed LB to cover Tierney, that’s it as far as I can see. We need two central midfielders as a priority.

Post #472473  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:05 pm 

Ash wrote:
The CBS we’ve got hardly seem like the main problem in this team and chasing after a new one when we’ve got other priorities seems like a strange vanity project.

I agree it isn't a priority for next season, the question is of course how much we'll be able to spend this summer. And I do think we'll see a fair amount of spending, considering how many players are likely to leave. Xhaka and Guendouzi look like they're gone soon, Torreira, Bellerin and Kolasinac aren't staying, Willian is heavily rumoured to be leaving, and there has been no indication Mavropanos will stay at Arsenal next season. Add to that the likes of Maitland-Niles, Nketiah, Nelson and possibly Willock and we can probably afford at least 3-4 signings.

The flip side of the argument is that we must be looking further ahead than just the coming season. The four centre backs we have are all good in my opinion - but have they got the potential to be truly elite? It's possible with Saliba, though he just turned 20 so that's probably a number of years down the line. Gabriel has shown in glimpses that he can turn into a top class defender. I don't see Holding and Pablo Mari ever being more than 3rd/4th choice at a club aiming for top four. So if there's a chance to get another player with elite potential in, I think we should go for it.

There have been some solid rumours about Edmond Tapsoba at Bayer Leverkusen for example. Can't say I've ever watched him play, but he seems extremely highly rated in Germany. 22 years old, 6ft4, physically strong and very good on the ball, with a couple of good seasons in Germany and Portugal behind him, to me he fits the exact profile of what we should be looking for. We're not getting a 28-year old top class defender, so I think our best chance is getting them in at this age and hoping they'll fulfill their potential.

Post #472474  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:37 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Ash wrote:

I agree it isn't a priority for next season, the question is of course how much we'll be able to spend this summer. And I do think we'll see a fair amount of spending, considering how many players are likely to leave. Xhaka and Guendouzi look like they're gone soon, Torreira, Bellerin and Kolasinac aren't staying, Willian is heavily rumoured to be leaving, and there has been no indication Mavropanos will stay at Arsenal next season. Add to that the likes of Maitland-Niles, Nketiah, Nelson and possibly Willock and we can probably afford at least 3-4 signings.

The flip side of the argument is that we must be looking further ahead than just the coming season. The four centre backs we have are all good in my opinion - but have they got the potential to be truly elite? It's possible with Saliba, though he just turned 20 so that's probably a number of years down the line. Gabriel has shown in glimpses that he can turn into a top class defender. I don't see Holding and Pablo Mari ever being more than 3rd/4th choice at a club aiming for top four. So if there's a chance to get another player with elite potential in, I think we should go for it.

There have been some solid rumours about Edmond Tapsoba at Bayer Leverkusen for example. Can't say I've ever watched him play, but he seems extremely highly rated in Germany. 22 years old, 6ft4, physically strong and very good on the ball, with a couple of good seasons in Germany and Portugal behind him, to me he fits the exact profile of what we should be looking for. We're not getting a 28-year old top class defender, so I think our best chance is getting them in at this age and hoping they'll fulfill their potential.

Hi Haz,

I agree.

It seems the extent of our ambition this summer may rely on the numbers we can get out the door and for what prices.

The thing is, if we have any ambitions of competing at the very top you could argue we need upgrades in several positions, notably CB, RB, DM, AM and you could even make the case for another CF and winger.

As you say, Tapsoba seems like the perfect profile.

No idea why I keep hearing whispers about Saliba leaving. I am yet to be convinced by Arteta's judgement and player development. Working with Pep has given him a reputation he is yet to justify. That said, we were one of the best teams results-wise over the last few weeks despite Arteta's disastrous management of he EL semis so I am open to changing my mind.

Post #472475  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:33 pm 

https://talksport.com/football/888514/

Former Arsenal transfer negotiator Dick Law told The Athletic that a move for Kante was on the table until they pulled the plug because of the agents’ fees involved.

Discussing the Kante deal, Law said: “When things reached an extreme, we tended to back away.”

An investigation by Football Leaks detailed how the two agents involved in setting up Kante’s transfer to Chelsea pocketed a combined total of £10.6million.

Gregory Dakad earned the bigger share of £6.4m, while Abdelkarim Douis collected £4.2m.

Just a few weeks later, the Gunners completed their move for Granit Xhaka, who has not had quite the same impact at the club as Kante has had at Chelsea.

Post #472476  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Well I missed Clichy maligning Arsenal, which according to our friend from across the Atlantic he did.

I've realised that Top Gun must have been talking about Pep Guardiola, not our Pépé.

Post #472477  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:43 pm 

Guendouzi to Marseilles is going speed. Potential fee between £12-15m.

There was a time when he first broke through when you could easily have put a £30m+ price tag on Guendouzi. But poor form, ill discipline, not a hugely successful loan and only having a year left of his deal accounts for the decline in fee.

BUT, even with all this factors if we sell him for £15m we’ll have doubled our original investment. The benefit of buying young players are lesser wages.

Post #472478  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:20 pm 

Rich wrote:
Guendouzi to Marseilles is going speed. Potential fee between £12-15m.

There was a time when he first broke through when you could easily have put a £30m+ price tag on Guendouzi. But poor form, ill discipline, not a hugely successful loan and only having a year left of his deal accounts for the decline in fee.

BUT, even with all this factors if we sell him for £15m we’ll have doubled our original investment. The benefit of buying young players are lesser wages.

Hi Rich,

He's still captain of the French u21 team which is no mean feat given the talent at their disposal.

£15m is the absolute minimum we should get and even then I fear it is a mistake selling him but clearly Arteta wants him gone.

Post #472479  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:43 pm 

david.d wrote:
*%^@*** hate Chelsea.
Really hate them.
Fair play to them.
They deserved it.

You know Tuchel was a man with a plan. Came to a CL final, with a strong attitude, shoved it up Pep with a you won the PL title, but I've got this one. It showed loud and clear in Tuchel's body language, motivation of players, tactics. It worked like like fine oiled machine.

Post #472480  Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:45 pm 

david.d wrote:
Anyone heard anything about Miguel Azeez.
I'm sure his contract runs out june this year

David,
Here's more on Azeez.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hitc.c ... eez/%3famp

[ 514349 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11809, 11810, 11811, 11812, 11813, 11814, 11815 ... 12859  Next