Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, mcquilkie and 308 guests

Post #480281  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:46 pm 

A point at City? Yes please.

This team has more guts and determination than we've seen in years.

Post #480282  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:49 pm 

57 straight games City had scored in at home, and I was absolutely confident in our defensive ability, yes Coty dominated the ball and territory but at no time were we under the coach or under pressure and at no time did we look like conceding. Kept them at arms length, sterile domination.

Post #480283  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:49 pm 

There were no bookings, right? Credit to the referee. Another referee would have given out a handful at a minimum this game. He let them play but I can't say we didn't deserve at least one yellow card.

Post #480284  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:50 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Can't be sure if Foden was poor or we defended him well. I am relieved he wasn't his usual form.

Indeed. And our nemesis De Bruyne was marshalled brilliantly, couldn’t influence the game at all.

I’ll say it again, it’s THE best defensive performance of any team in any game in the league this season

Post #480285  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:52 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
There were no bookings, right? Credit to the referee. Another referee would have given out a handful at a minimum this game. He let them play but I can't say we didn't deserve at least one yellow card.

Jesus and Raya carded for time wasting - but yes, very very good from the ref today. He didn’t have any big things to deal with and the players kept a lid on it for him too. He helped himself by not getting early yellow cards for minor infringements

Post #480286  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:55 pm 

Also, psychologically it has to be a big boost that we held them scoreless home and away, and only one goal going back to the Charity Shield. People talk about our attack but the real revelation is our team defense. Other than Luton of all teams (4-3 win), no club has scored more than 2 in the league. No more than 1 in the league this season.

I've heard it said, had Saliba been healthy last season we'd have made it much closer if not win. I didn't put much merit in it at the time. I thought losing both him and Jesus was too much. But now there could be something to it where losing Saliba last spring was the biggest reason we didn't do better.

Post #480287  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:57 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Good point but it feels a good day for Liverpool

Not sure where that leaves us.

I think we are in decent shape in both competitions, particularly if Partey can get back to near his best.

Post #480288  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:00 pm 

john1 wrote:
A point at City? Yes please.

This team has more guts and determination than we've seen in years.

8 points off City and Liverpool. I think I might have taken that at the beginning of the season.

We're a different beast this season.

Post #480289  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:04 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
danny wrote:
Anyone else agree that Rice and Ødegaard would both benefit if Rice was captain?

Both are leaders. No difference.

I believe Ødegaard is not calm enough as captain. Reminds me when Cesc was captain, I don't think it did him any favours.

Post #480290  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:10 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
danny wrote:
Anyone else agree that Rice and Ødegaard would both benefit if Rice was captain?

Both are leaders. No difference.

I believe Ødegaard is not calm enough as captain. Reminds me when Cesc was captain, I don't think it did him any favours.

Post #480291  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:11 pm 

Apologies for the double post.

Post #480292  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:18 pm 

The interviewer in the manager's interview tried to get Pep to criticize how we were fouling. In his word 'to break up the game'. Credit to Pep he didn't take the bait. He said its not up to him regarding fouls. Tone and body language clearly says we should have been booked.

Post #480293  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:21 pm 

danny wrote:

Rice may in fact be a better captain overall, but if Arteta dares, it will definitely have negative repercussions. Ødegaard has more of a sense of urgency about him. Rice more calm. We know what kind of captain Rice can be seeing him at West Ham. Both are effective. Would Rice give us that wee bit of difference? That's an interesting question.

Post #480294  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:37 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
danny wrote:

Rice may in fact be a better captain overall, but if Arteta dares, it will definitely have negative repercussions. Ødegaard has more of a sense of urgency about him. Rice more calm. We know what kind of captain Rice can be seeing him at West Ham. Both are effective. Would Rice give us that wee bit of difference? That's an interesting question.

I'm not suggesting it's taken off Ødegaard this season but maybe just after he's signed a lengthy contract extension in the summer.

Post #480295  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:54 pm 

Ladies have denied Chelsea a quadruple.

Post #480296  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:55 pm 

Hey Danny, I hear ya. I wasn't suggesting now as well. But even in the summer. Playing devil's advocate. You're Arteta, what do you say to Ødegaard? Or should just say, it's his decision, he's the manager?

Post #480297  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:21 pm 

It's going to be interesting going to Old Trafford and WHL for the win and a draw isn't good enough. Especially OT. Going to be interesting. I expect Man Utd to be more defensive than Tottenham. Tottenham will relish not allowing us a title if they can do it.

Herculean effort to get a win at both.

Post #480298  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:41 pm 

danny wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I'm not suggesting it's taken off Ødegaard this season but maybe just after he's signed a lengthy contract extension in the summer.

Ødegaard has only just signed a contract extension in September ? If you moved the captaincy without question the player stripped of it would leave anyway. Any club in Europe right now would take a serious look at Martin. We wouldn’t be short of suitors.

Craziness

Post #480299  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
danny wrote:

Ødegaard has only just signed a contract extension in September ? If you moved the captaincy without question the player stripped of it would leave anyway. Any club in Europe right now would take a serious look at Martin. We wouldn’t be short of suitors.

Craziness

OK.

Post #480300  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:07 pm 

As supporters we have some uncomfortable weeks ahead: we will have to cheer for Man U and Spurs on a number of occasions.

Post #480301  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:15 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
As supporters we have some uncomfortable weeks ahead: we will have to cheer for Man U and Spurs on a number of occasions.

If me wearing their shirt for 90 minutes meant they won their games v our rivals I’d happily do it - the greater good! I have no qualms vehemently cheering on any side of it meant it helped Arsenal in only a minute way.
Man U are poor so it looks like spurs will get champions league next season as I suspect 4th and 5th in the prem will get it. More than happy for spurs to win all but one of their remaining games if it helped us win the league….and I’d happily lose to spurs if you could guarantee we still won the league

Post #480302  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:19 pm 

danny wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I think Ødegaard is the most in tune with Arteta in the squad. Ødegaard orchestrated the press and the general play, he’s the one moving people in to positions, he’s Arteta’s brain on the pitch. Unless he seriously drops off in form he stays captain for as long as Arteta is here.
There were two moments today where Ødegaard was inches away from the perfect threaded through ball

Post #480303  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:24 pm 

Also there’s no doubt in my mind that Haaland is not close to being the best striker in football. He comes alive in the box for sure but he’s general all round play is pretty average. Easier said than done but deny him space and mark him ridiculously tightly and aggressively and you can nullify him- takes a huge team effort. Gabriel is the marker and aggressor of our pair and he’s regularly giving the best strikers in the prem and Europe not a single sniff of a goal

Post #480304  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:41 am 

This Arsenal team has lots of steel :headbang:

City had an awesome forward line and we held them at bay without fear

Post #480305  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:22 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

If me wearing their shirt for 90 minutes meant they won their games v our rivals I’d happily do it - the greater good! I have no qualms vehemently cheering on any side of it meant it helped Arsenal in only a minute way.
Man U are poor so it looks like spurs will get champions league next season as I suspect 4th and 5th in the prem will get it. More than happy for spurs to win all but one of their remaining games if it helped us win the league….and I’d happily lose to spurs if you could guarantee we still won the league

You are prepared to go to places I will not. I will barrack for them against City and Pool but that might be all.

Post #480306  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:42 am 

Rich wrote:
danny wrote:

I think Ødegaard is the most in tune with Arteta in the squad. Ødegaard orchestrated the press and the general play, he’s the one moving people in to positions, he’s Arteta’s brain on the pitch. Unless he seriously drops off in form he stays captain for as long as Arteta is here.
There were two moments today where Ødegaard was inches away from the perfect threaded through ball

The top managers really are like conductors getting the team to play in a way that expresses their personalities and football philosophies--Pep's precision (look at how he lambasted Grealish after the game), Klopp's 'heavy metal' style, and Arteta's intensity.

Not that Rice (or even someone like Gabriel) wouldn't be a brilliant captain. It is just that Ødegaard's personality and intelligence are exactly what we need. I think Ødegaard thrives with having that responsibility too.

Post #480307  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:48 am 

gooner7 wrote:

It has to be said that City defended exceptionally well too. That high line was very well organised and on the odd occasions we got through, they were very quick to get back in numbers.

Post #480308  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:52 am 

Rich wrote:
Also there’s no doubt in my mind that Haaland is not close to being the best striker in football. He comes alive in the box for sure but he’s general all round play is pretty average. Easier said than done but deny him space and mark him ridiculously tightly and aggressively and you can nullify him- takes a huge team effort. Gabriel is the marker and aggressor of our pair and he’s regularly giving the best strikers in the prem and Europe not a single sniff of a goal

Gabriel is one of the contenders for Arsenal player of the season for me.

Post #480309  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:51 am 

Not wanting to jinx anything (not that I remotely believe in that anyway) but our rivals seem to be more consistently losing players to injuries whilst ours are coming back from injury.
defence was the area that City really can cope though, they have lots of defenders who can all play all across the back 4

Post #480310  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:43 am 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

It has to be said that City defended exceptionally well too. That high line was very well organised and on the odd occasions we got through, they were very quick to get back in numbers.

Good point :58big-emoticons:

Post #480311  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:43 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

Gabriel is one of the contenders for Arsenal player of the season for me.

He’s been colossal and gets overlooked because Saliba is capable of explosive moments of defending that get more attention.

I really hope the suggestion he wanted to move doesn’t reappear this summer. Maybe offer him a new contract.

Post #480312  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:46 am 

If only we hadn’t dropped silly points v Fulham and hadn’t dropped the ball v spurs.

Think that will end up being the difference between winning and losing the title.

Post #480313  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:43 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
If only we hadn’t dropped silly points v Fulham and hadn’t dropped the ball v spurs.

Think that will end up being the difference between winning and losing the title.

Yeah. It still feels like an outside chance only, not only because of those lost points, but also because I think we still may have that sort of turgid performance in us.

I'm hoping Partey can have a good run and that whatever is the matter with Saka can be sorted out.

Post #480314  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:01 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yeah. It still feels like an outside chance only, not only because of those lost points, but also because I think we still may have that sort of turgid performance in us.

I'm hoping Partey can have a good run and that whatever is the matter with Saka can be sorted out.

I think you might see Partey, Tommy and Zinchenko brought in for Luton.

I think we blew it before Christmas but I’m enjoying the season. Proud of the team.

I think we will drop points and if we beat Bayern we could have a mental fixture dilemma playing Chelsea, spurs and a champions league semi final in just 7 days. Not sure we have the quality to deal with that if I’m honest even with players coming back from injury.

Post #480315  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:44 am 

Rich wrote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... roy-keane/

Agreed. Roy agrees too.

Quote:
On a cool spring afternoon thick with thwarted hopes, Gabriel and Saliba became the first centre-back partnership in the Premier League to restrict Haaland to zero shots on target twice in the same season. In fact, if you add in last summer’s Community Shield, they have managed it three times this campaign, across more than four hours of football. Roy Keane, frankly, had endured enough. “The level of his general play is so poor,” he said. “In front of goal, he’s the best in the world, but in his general play he’s almost like a League Two player. That’s the way I look at it. He has to improve his all-round game.”

Even by the standards of Keane’s acid tongue, it was scalding. Haaland, let us not forget, torched records for fun in his debut season, reaching 50 top-flight goals in 17 fewer games than any player since the Premier League’s inception. There is an argument that only the unending adoration of Lionel Messi, far from the game’s epicentre in Miami, prevented him from winning the Ballon d’Or. Is it truly legitimate for a former Manchester United captain to be denigrating him, a few months later, as some fourth-tier trundler?

Tis seldom our defence has received praise in recent years so it is good to see it for those who remember the vice like defences of the past and the 1-0 to the Arsenal.

Post #480316  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:02 am 

NYC is imposing a fee to go into midtown Manhattan. A congestion tax scheme of sorts. I seem to recall London doing something similar years ago, no?

https://www.tiktok.com/@abcworldnews/vi ... l9u4dVTyGo

Post #480317  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:54 am 

Yesterday's result and performance is on the cusp of a changing of the guard. We took 4 points off the champions. They've only scored 1 goal in the last 3 games we've had. City are a little scared of us. The last 2 times we played them we have severely limited them. No goals scored.

It's our defense it turns out for the turnaround.

Post #480318  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:16 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
NYC is imposing a fee to go into midtown Manhattan. A congestion tax scheme of sorts. I seem to recall London doing something similar years ago, no?

https://www.tiktok.com/@abcworldnews/vi ... l9u4dVTyGo

As a reasonably frequent visitor to NYC I’m surprised this wasn’t introduced long ago. Traffic around mid town is mental.

As usual the problem with introducing a tax like this isn’t the idea by concept as it makes sense but the problem that no authority can resist the temptation of expanding the tax geographically or financially as they become dependant on the finances the tax provides.

Post #480319  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:21 pm 

Akanji complaining about Arsenal supposedly tactically fouling….this was said by a City player with no hint of self awareness!

By the way. Anyone accusing us of no ambition in the game, we mustered 6 shots and 2 on target. At the game at the emirates City mustered 4 shots and 1 on target!

Absolutely ridiculous that the focus today is on Arsenal not being more ambitious rather than City not having the creativity to break us down.

At the end of the season if we don’t win the title some idiot will point to this game as one where Arsenal should have been more ambitious and gone for the win, some pundit will I assure you, a point away at City in a title race when you’ve already beaten them at home is a top result - if we don’t win it then look at West Ham at home for starters

Post #480320  Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:50 pm 

Rich wrote:
Akanji complaining about Arsenal supposedly tactically fouling….this was said by a City player with no hint of self awareness!

By the way. Anyone accusing us of no ambition in the game, we mustered 6 shots and 2 on target. At the game at the emirates City mustered 4 shots and 1 on target!

Absolutely ridiculous that the focus today is on Arsenal not being more ambitious rather than City not having the creativity to break us down.

At the end of the season if we don’t win the title some idiot will point to this game as one where Arsenal should have been more ambitious and gone for the win, some pundit will I assure you, a point away at City in a title race when you’ve already beaten them at home is a top result - if we don’t win it then look at West Ham at home for starters

Really? Where?

[ 481528 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12005, 12006, 12007, 12008, 12009, 12010, 12011 ... 12039  Next