Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Ash, warrior and 426 guests

Post #489161  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Only 9 days left of the transfer window. So nice to go in to this period knowing we’ve done decent business and anything else is a bonus. Obviously I want more, I’d like another CB and a winger but more important is the stability of getting our deals done early and a huge amount of our squad having an uninterrupted pre season

I don't think I can agree with your view that we have done decent business. I would have classified it as a very risky strategy. Leno and Sokratis are both players who need to improve significantly on their last season. With Leno he is error prone over a long period. What we are gambling on with both these players is that they will get back to their best this season. Lichtsteiner as backup is a gamble as he is unproven in the EPL and the unknown is whether he can adjust. Kolasinic is not looking great. Mavropanis, Holding, Chambers all need to lift significantly.

Looking at the CB I see some real difficulties if all the players in that position don't improve significantly from last season - that is a key position and I am nervous as to how they can be taken apart. On the highlights of the PSG match their players got around us in defence pretty easy and lack of finishing was a problem for them. Yes, you can say pre-season games don't matter but what it showed was that we have a fair way to go. That is not a positive sign but whether it is a negative we will see. Improvement needed and we should have recruited in this area last season not try to gamble this season.

Torreira - good buy but we will see if he can adjust. I think he will.

The young french kid - unsure but could go well.

The real problem is Ramsay and Wellbeck now need to be sold as neither has signed on. If I was Wellbeck I would have come back early from his holidays and tried to make myself invaluable to the new manager. Holiday - he played one game.

Ramsay can go if he has not signed by now. Something he was unhappy with Sanchez regarding. When Alexis was trying to get him and others to press he didn't want a bar of it. Lazy player and slow from box to box. Now we have a new manager who wants them to press can he change his ways. He can hold out for more money but we need to sell now not in January. If he does not sign immediately, sell him and then we need to spend on a new player - another trolley dash.

Post #489162  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:08 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
Only 9 days left of the transfer window. So nice to go in to this period knowing we’ve done decent business and anything else is a bonus. Obviously I want more, I’d like another CB and a winger but more important is the stability of getting our deals done early and a huge amount of our squad having an uninterrupted pre season

I don't think I can agree with your view that we have done decent business. I would have classified it as a very risky strategy. Leno and Sokratis are both players who need to improve significantly on their last season. With Leno he is error prone over a long period. What we are gambling on with both these players is that they will get back to their best this season. Lichtsteiner as backup is a gamble as he is unproven in the EPL and the unknown is whether he can adjust. Kolasinic is not looking great. Mavropanis, Holding, Chambers all need to lift significantly.

Looking at the CB I see some real difficulties if all the players in that position don't improve significantly from last season - that is a key position and I am nervous as to how they can be taken apart. On the highlights of the PSG match their players got around us in defence pretty easy and lack of finishing was a problem for them. Yes, you can say pre-season games don't matter but what it showed was that we have a fair way to go. That is not a positive sign but whether it is a negative we will see. Improvement needed and we should have recruited in this area last season not try to gamble this season.

Torreira - good buy but we will see if he can adjust. I think he will.

The young french kid - unsure but could go well.

The real problem is Ramsay and Wellbeck now need to be sold as neither has signed on. If I was Wellbeck I would have come back early from his holidays and tried to make myself invaluable to the new manager. Holiday - he played one game.

Ramsay can go if he has not signed by now. Something he was unhappy with Sanchez regarding. When Alexis was trying to get him and others to press he didn't want a bar of it. Lazy player and slow from box to box. Now we have a new manager who wants them to press can he change his ways. He can hold out for more money but we need to sell now not in January. If he does not sign immediately, sell him and then we need to spend on a new player - another trolley dash.

So who were you looking for us to bring in?

Post #489163  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:20 pm 

Our defence is an absolute joke.

Post #489164  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:31 pm 

socrates wrote:
Our defence is an absolute joke.

So is our midfield. We are getting a lesson here.

Post #489165  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:46 pm 

Bellerin has had a nightmare, defensively and going forward. Guendouzi has been our best player so far.

Post #489166  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:51 pm 

Chelsea seem full of running and well up for it-hope our subs can liven up things a bit.

Post #489167  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:56 pm 

Guendouzi looking really good. A couple of lapses defensively but his range of passing has stood out.

Post #489168  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Bellerin has had a nightmare, defensively and going forward. Guendouzi has been our best player so far.

Neither of our fullbacks can defend (but we knew that) and as for our central defensive partnership the less said the better.

Post #489169  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:00 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Given that we reportedly only had a £50m budget and we desperately needed to strengthen 4 key positions (GK, CB, Def mid and RB) I don't know what more we could have got. Would I have preferred us to have signed proven world class players in each of those positions? absolutely, but you're looking at £200m+ for that.

Defence is a concern for me, but given the choice between natural talent in attack or defence I'd take the attack and hope that a decent coach can bring together a below world class defence and make them opperate as a better unit

Post #489170  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:05 pm 

Haven't really seen much evidence of this high press we've been hearing about.

Post #489171  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 pm 

Surely Guendouzi is already ahead of elneny. In fact I’m not sure how many games elneny is going to get behind torriera, xhaka, Ramsey and guendouzi

Post #489172  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:22 pm 

Why would you put Smith-Rowe on Rudiger for corners???????

Post #489173  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:12 pm 

Coo. Čech saves a penalty. Whatever next? Good performance in the shoot out.

Post #489174  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Two in one night!

Post #489175  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:22 pm 

dec wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Two in one night!

So it was. Funny thing these matches. They mean nothing .... but a bad performance is always worrying. Always pleased not to lose to our rivals.

Post #489176  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
dec wrote:
Two in one night!

So it was. Funny thing these matches. They mean nothing .... but a bad performance is always worrying. Always pleased not to lose to our rivals.

I thought it was pleasing that we recovered from a very poor start to play a lot better especially in the second half. And it was a novel sight to see head coach and assistant coach stood by the touchline discussing what tactical tweaks were necessary. Very refreshing. It would have been an injustice if we'd lost.

Post #489177  Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:21 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
dec wrote:
Two in one night!

How many matches in a row is that unbeaten against Chelsea? 6 I make it if we include today

Post #489178  Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:08 am 

Bernard wrote:

Bellerin has gone from bad to worse. I watched him during the matches her in Singapore. He has a tendency to misplace his passess, and his crosses are almost always useless. It is a shock to see such a potential get so bad.

Post #489179  Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:09 am 

socrates wrote:
Guendouzi looking really good. A couple of lapses defensively but his range of passing has stood out.

Guendouzi has been the stand-out player for us, along with Smith-Rowe.

Post #489180  Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:13 am 

I’m not crazy nvinced we have the right defence to play such a high line. Maybe Leno will be asked to sweep up a lot. If you want a high press you need a high defensive line. I think it may take the team some time to adjust to the new tactics, so I’m expecting some stuttered performances early on. Our best chance of getting champions league football may still be by winning the Europa League

Post #489181  Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:17 am 

Rich wrote:
I’m not crazy nvinced we have the right defence to play such a high line. Maybe Leno will be asked to sweep up a lot. If you want a high press you need a high defensive line. I think it may take the team some time to adjust to the new tactics, so I’m expecting some stuttered performances early on. Our best chance of getting champions league football may still be by winning the Europa League

Have you got a certificate to prove those first 3 words of your post are correct. I think any Arsenal fan maybe a little bit off centre after a couple of seasons. This one will likely be no different.

Post #489182  Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:16 pm 

Who was it that was offering us decent money for Bellerin? We may want to start returning their phone calls. He had a bad game.

Čech saving penalties? Surely one of the signs of the prophesied apocalypse! I'm still excited about the season. Emery still trying to put his stamp on the squad and that will take some time to exorcise the spirit of Wenger out of them.

Post #489183  Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:43 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Have you got a certificate to prove those first 3 words of your post are correct. I think any Arsenal fan maybe a little bit off centre after a couple of seasons. This one will likely be no different.

Hmmm catch 22, admit it, or protest too much in denial.

Post #489184  Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:48 pm 

One thing about the pre-season games, I expected us to look more defensively assured, better organised and more switched on. Instead, we looked just as naive and disorganised as ever, particularly when defending set pieces. I also expected us to be a bit more dynamic with the high press but it seemed pretty half-hearted at times.

Early days I know but I hope we see improvements defensively or we are in for another long, hard season I think.

Post #489185  Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:39 pm 

socrates wrote:
One thing about the pre-season games, I expected us to look more defensively assured, better organised and more switched on. Instead, we looked just as naive and disorganised as ever, particularly when defending set pieces. I also expected us to be a bit more dynamic with the high press but it seemed pretty half-hearted at times.

Early days I know but I hope we see improvements defensively or we are in for another long, hard season I think.

Evening socrates. We haven't seen Torreira yet so maybe he'll improve the pressing. It'll be interesting to see if any players move on.

Post #489186  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:31 am 

Arsenal transfer news: Expert claims he knows why Aaron Ramsey hasn’t signed new deal

A TRANSFER expert has claimed he knows why Aaron Ramsey hasn’t signed a new deal with Arsenal.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/998115/Arsenal-transfer-news-Aaron-Ramsey-contract

Post #489187  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:35 am 

Sead Kolasinac has been added to the Injury Room.

He has suffered a knee injury and he is estimated to spend around 4 weeks on the sidelines.

===============================
Aaron Ramsey has been added to the Injury Room.

He has suffered a calf strain injury and so far there is no information on how long he will spend on the sidelines.

Post #489188  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:43 am 

warrior wrote:
Arsenal transfer news: Expert claims he knows why Aaron Ramsey hasn’t signed new deal

A TRANSFER expert has claimed he knows why Aaron Ramsey hasn’t signed a new deal with Arsenal.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/998115/Arsenal-transfer-news-Aaron-Ramsey-contract

Nice to hear from an expert who's clearly not just throwing a bunch of possible scenarios around.

Post #489189  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:21 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Nice to hear from an expert who's clearly not just throwing a bunch of possible scenarios around.

Seeing it's in Stockholm are you going to the Lazio game tomorrow, Hazuki?

Post #489190  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I have family visiting this weekend, so I can't make it unfortunately. Think the cheapest tickets are around £35 as well, which is a bit pricey for a pre season game in my opinion.

Post #489191  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:50 am 

Hazuki wrote:
warrior wrote:

Hilarious isn't it. Expert my arse. He knows nothing. Brings to mind the line in the Ali G film "we is experts".

Ramsey could be crocked now anyway by the looks of it. Personally I'd like to see us sign a left back. We look a bit light there.

Post #489192  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 pm 

socrates wrote:

I found myself wanting to see visible signs we are a different club. However to be fair, it will take time. 22 years of one system is going to take time to change.

It will take time. The one thing I do like is he Emery is more active on the touchline than Wenger.

Post #489193  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:57 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I have family visiting this weekend, so I can't make it unfortunately. Think the cheapest tickets are around £35 as well, which is a bit pricey for a pre season game in my opinion.

The tickets for Dublin were €60-70. Far too much for a friendly.

Post #489194  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:26 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

A bargain when compared to the price of a beer in Stockholm in my experience :icon_smile11: :icon_wink:

Post #489195  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:22 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

A bargain when compared to the price of a beer in Stockholm in my experience :icon_smile11: :icon_wink:

Nah, you just have to know where to go!

Post #489196  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:47 pm 

They just can't let it alone can they....Hoeness and Rummenigge... :confused5:
Özil must be suck of it.

Post #489197  Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:50 pm 

Meant "sick of it"
:1laughter:

Post #489198  Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:07 am 

Kolasinac our for 8-10 weeks with a knee injury

Post #489199  Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:37 am 

Chuba Akpom departs

Arsenal have sold 22-year old British forward Chuba Akpom to PAOK Salonika for a £2m initial fee.
He becomes player number 10 to leave the club this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£68.5m so far.

Post #489200  Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 am 

Zed wrote:
They just can't let it alone can they....Hoeness and Rummenigge... :confused5:
Özil must be suck of it.

Rummenigge has also changed his tune to join the Bayern party line. Along with Neuer and Bayern employee Lothar Mattheus - only Jerome Boateng of all the players or staff connected with Bayern hasn't been dismissive or critical or silent - unsurprisingly he's also of mixed heritage.

Should anyone have time to kill, I wrote a fairly lengthy piece on the subject with a lot of background etc
http://dailycannon.com/2018/07/45-minut ... ded-world/

[ 572035 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12227, 12228, 12229, 12230, 12231, 12232, 12233 ... 14301  Next